The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is the Super fight close?

+12
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
azania
Fists of Fury
Unbeatable Georgey Groves
Union Cane
Valero's Conscience
Scottrf
coxy0001
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
Rowley
AlexHuckerby
Daz
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Is the Super fight close? Empty Is the Super fight close?

Post by Daz Wed 30 Nov 2011, 2:33 pm

Check this article out:

http://www.worldboxingnews.net/2011/11/manny-pacquiao-we-are-ready-once-he.html

WBO welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao is ready to sign up to meet WBC belt holder Floyd Mayweather in Las Vegas on May 5th after admitting a unification deal is close to being agreed.

The 32 year-old eight-weight title holder has been constantly dogged by rumours of a clash with the American over a two-year period and it now seems that the time is right to finally show the fans who the best pound for pound fighter of this generation is.

"We are ready," Pacquiao told abs-cbnnews.com.

"If it pushes through, once he signs the contract then I'll sign the contract. Only the little things are being worked out and negotiations are almost done."

Mayweather, 34, has seemingly been the instigator of what will be the richest fight the boxing world has ever seen and even more so since Pacquiao’s under-par performance against Juan Manuel Marquez earlier this month.

The five-weight world champion even organised the date and venue with his own team before putting the fight forward to Bob Arum and Top Rank, initially angering the Top Rank CEO who was hoping to stage the bout at a stadium.

On thing for sure is that Mayweather v Pacquiao is now closer than ever to becoming a reality and fight fans will be able to see the biggest debate in boxing today unfold in front of them at the MGM Grand next year once the contracts are signed.

I have a sneaky suspicion that this will go ahead. Better get saving!

Daz

Back to top Go down

Is the Super fight close? Empty Re: Is the Super fight close?

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 30 Nov 2011, 2:39 pm

Yeah read this on one of Kev's posts on the Boxing News sticky, seems like it may just happen, but like Kev said on the boxing news sticky, everyone around is saying that the fight is in negotiations, yet Arum appears to not want to negotiate or begin any at all, so don't really know...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 30 Nov 2011, 2:39 pm

Daz they do say there is no fool like an old fool, and despite falling for this nonsense countless times over the last few years there is a part of me that can't help but get excited and it does appear there is a genuine will on both sides to get this done, finally!

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 30 Nov 2011, 2:41 pm

daz it's a funny one. There is a lot of talk that it's close to being finalised but Oscar De La Hoya says that Arum won't come to the table so who is negotiating on Mannys behalf. Will Manny go rogue and ditch old Bob?
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 30 Nov 2011, 2:41 pm

One thing that is still an unknown quanitity and that is how is Arum handling this? Manny stating he wants Mayweather, Mayweather stating before the Ortiz fight he wants him and then actually asking for the Pac fight when Pac is free, so you're right Jeff, it appears that both boxers finally want this to be put on.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Wed 30 Nov 2011, 2:42 pm

I agree! I really believe that this will go ahead finally! It wont be as competetive as it could have been but will be a great spectacle nontheless!

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Wed 30 Nov 2011, 2:43 pm

Last thing i heard was Schaefer saying they haven't been in contact.

Personally i don't trust a word from anyone until they have actually signed.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Wed 30 Nov 2011, 2:43 pm

prettyboykev wrote:daz it's a funny one. There is a lot of talk that it's close to being finalised but Oscar De La Hoya says that Arum won't come to the table so who is negotiating on Mannys behalf. Will Manny go rogue and ditch old Bob?

He would make millions more if he self promoted this one. Besides he doesnt actually need to promote this - it will sell itself. Not sure what his contractual obligations to Bob are though.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 30 Nov 2011, 2:45 pm

Dazstarr wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:daz it's a funny one. There is a lot of talk that it's close to being finalised but Oscar De La Hoya says that Arum won't come to the table so who is negotiating on Mannys behalf. Will Manny go rogue and ditch old Bob?

He would make millions more if he self promoted this one. Besides he doesnt actually need to promote this - it will sell itself. Not sure what his contractual obligations to Bob are though.

That's the thing Manny will have a contract with Bob and if Manny tries to get out of it Bob will have him in court and out of action as long as the legals take.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 30 Nov 2011, 2:45 pm

Am not sure Arum gives a damn about what the fans want but the more that emerges about this whole story it seems pretty clear Manny wants this fight, golden boy want the fight and Floyd wants the fight. Does Arum really want his legacy to be as the guy who stopped this happening, as he does appear to be becoming marginalised on this one and would imagine he is putting himself out there in a position it will be difficult to defend or justify.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Wed 30 Nov 2011, 2:45 pm

coxy0001 wrote:Last thing i heard was Schaefer saying they haven't been in contact.

Personally i don't trust a word from anyone until they have actually signed.

Come on Coxy! Get a little excited would ya! It's nearly Christmas - gotta have hope!

On a serious note - if it doesnt happen in 2012 it will never happen. Both fighters want and need it. IT WILL HAPPEN!!

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 30 Nov 2011, 2:46 pm

I've lost all excitement about this to be honest. I hope it would change if it gets signed but I'm not sure. I'd like an excuse to go to Vegas even if I can't get tickets.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Wed 30 Nov 2011, 2:47 pm

More than once in the past i've foolishly been lead to believe the fight was close but now have no confidence it will happen.

All sides appear more vocal than ever to make the fight with many including Ariza in Pac's camp putting the blame on Arum but as long as Arum has Pac in his slave contract he does have the power to stop the fight.

Even if it is officially announced and press conference done etc I still wouldn't feel confident until they actually step into the ring together.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Wed 30 Nov 2011, 2:50 pm

Valero's Conscience wrote:More than once in the past i've foolishly been lead to believe the fight was close but now have no confidence it will happen.

All sides appear more vocal than ever to make the fight with many including Ariza in Pac's camp putting the blame on Arum but as long as Arum has Pac in his slave contract he does have the power to stop the fight.

Even if it is officially announced and press conference done etc I still wouldn't feel confident until they actually step into the ring together.

It would be interesting to know the details of that contract and how much Arum slices off the top.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Wed 30 Nov 2011, 2:51 pm

Pacquiao is on the slide, it has lost it's lustre for me, should have happened already, to eventually get it on (if it happens) at this stage smacks of it being simply a money making exercise.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Unbeatable Georgey Groves Wed 30 Nov 2011, 2:52 pm

Did anyone see the Floyd vid on FightHype?

He officially calls out Manny for May 5th and talks about "Poochiao"

Also he was very honest about his career in boxing and its current state

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 30 Nov 2011, 2:52 pm

I bet you if it does get signed there will be a delay because someone gets injured giving them a bit more time to build it and milk every penny they can get out of it.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Wed 30 Nov 2011, 2:53 pm

Union Cane wrote:Pacquiao is on the slide, it has lost it's lustre for me, should have happened already, to eventually get it on (if it happens) at this stage smacks of it being simply a money making exercise.

They are both on the slide i reckon.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Wed 30 Nov 2011, 2:54 pm

Unbeatable Georgey Groves wrote:Did anyone see the Floyd vid on FightHype?

What did he say about his career? Anything out of the ordinary?

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 30 Nov 2011, 2:54 pm

Unbeatable Georgey Groves wrote:Did anyone see the Floyd vid on FightHype?

I put a link to that in the news thread.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Wed 30 Nov 2011, 2:56 pm

Dazstarr wrote:
Union Cane wrote:Pacquiao is on the slide, it has lost it's lustre for me, should have happened already, to eventually get it on (if it happens) at this stage smacks of it being simply a money making exercise.

They are both on the slide i reckon.

Indeed, I mean it will be a 33 year old against a 35 year old.

In the words of Harry Carpenter, "Oh my god, he's won the title back at thirty two!!!"
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Wed 30 Nov 2011, 2:57 pm

I'll check it out when i get home. Cheers!

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Wed 30 Nov 2011, 2:57 pm

Dazstarr wrote:
Valero's Conscience wrote:More than once in the past i've foolishly been lead to believe the fight was close but now have no confidence it will happen.

It would be interesting to know the details of that contract and how much Arum slices off the top.

I'm sure I read Arum get's 27%! Considering Roach probably gets 20% (I believe Roach pays Ariza from his takings) then Koncz's cut for being his advisor/personal brown nose, then paying Buboy to not do a lot plus his 50+ entourage, it's no wonder there have been recent concerns for Manny's wealth!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 30 Nov 2011, 2:58 pm

Roach wont get 20% Laugh

It will be a flat fee I bet, a couple of mill.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Wed 30 Nov 2011, 2:59 pm

Valero's Conscience wrote:
Dazstarr wrote:

I'm sure I read Arum get's 27%! Considering Roach probably gets 20% (I believe Roach pays Ariza from his takings) then Koncz's cut for being his advisor/personal brown nose, then paying Buboy to not do a lot plus his 50+ entourage, it's no wonder there have been recent concerns for Manny's wealth!

Erm

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Unbeatable Georgey Groves Wed 30 Nov 2011, 3:00 pm

Valero's Conscience wrote:
Dazstarr wrote:

That's another thing Floyd talks about and it's quite interesting to hear about the dealings between Arum and Manny and how much Arum keeps for himself

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 30 Nov 2011, 3:05 pm

Roach can only get a maxiumum of 10%. fact.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Wed 30 Nov 2011, 3:06 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:Roach can only get a maxiumum of 10%. fact.

Fair enough, I always thought trainers got 20% but i'm sure Roach is more than happy with what he makes!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Wed 30 Nov 2011, 3:08 pm

Why's that Alex?

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 30 Nov 2011, 3:09 pm

Happening too late, Pacquiao has slid a little too much in my view and of course it should have happened two years ago, however, better late than never!!! Get it signed!

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Wed 30 Nov 2011, 3:10 pm

Exactly fists!

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 30 Nov 2011, 3:11 pm

Dazstarr wrote:

Why's that Alex?

Trainers can only ask for a maximum of 10% of the fighters purse, it's up to the fighter if they want to give any higher, or give a flat rate that they can agree on. Why? I don't know why to be honest, but I know it's true.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 30 Nov 2011, 3:12 pm

That's not true Hatton paid Floyd Snr 15% when he trained him.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 30 Nov 2011, 3:12 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:Happening too late, Pacquiao has slid a little too much in my view and of course it should have happened two years ago, however, better late than never!!! Get it signed!

Said it before and I'll say it again, don't believe Pac could have ever won at any stage, but hopefully this will just happen now, sick and tired of all the games, it's become a bit boring now.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 30 Nov 2011, 3:14 pm

Its not a case of Pac being on the slide. If you stand there ready to be hit, Pac will hit you and hit you often. Stick a jab out or move to the left or right and he struggles. Good boxer but not as good as makes out.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Wed 30 Nov 2011, 3:14 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:
Dazstarr wrote:

Why's that Alex?

Trainers can only ask for a maximum of 10% of the fighters purse, it's up to the fighter if they want to give any higher, or give a flat rate that they can agree on. Why? I don't know why to be honest, but I know it's true.

Thats weird - i thought Boxing was kind of a Wild West when it comes to governance due to the fact there is no overall governing body?

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 30 Nov 2011, 3:15 pm

prettyboykev wrote:

Like I said unless the fighter says it's ok the maximum amount is 10%, Hatton probably thought that he was the right man for the job. Shouldn't have "overtrained"!

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 30 Nov 2011, 3:16 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:

Like I said unless the fighter says it's ok the maximum amount is 10%, Hatton probably thought that he was the right man for the job. Shouldn't have "overtrained"!
Surely the max is 0 unless the fighter says it's OK?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Wed 30 Nov 2011, 3:18 pm

Come on Coxy! Get a little excited would ya! It's nearly Christmas - gotta have hope!

Christmas is the most depressing time of the year.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Wed 30 Nov 2011, 3:18 pm

Laugh

I'm confused - surely these isnt a max figure then!

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 30 Nov 2011, 3:19 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:
Fists of Fury wrote:Happening too late, Pacquiao has slid a little too much in my view and of course it should have happened two years ago, however, better late than never!!! Get it signed!

Said it before and I'll say it again, don't believe Pac could have ever won at any stage, but hopefully this will just happen now, sick and tired of all the games, it's become a bit boring now.

For the record, I think Mayweather takes a tight one if this happens after the Cotto fight. 115-113 or something similar.

Now, I can't see it being anything other than 118-110 sort of margin.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Wed 30 Nov 2011, 3:19 pm

coxy0001 wrote:

Blimey Coxy! Bah Humbug! raspberry

laughing

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 30 Nov 2011, 3:19 pm

It varies for different fighters but the general rule of thumb to determine how much boxing trainers make is 10 percent of the total purse or a flat fee.

For the mega-fights between the really big names such the Mayweathers or De La Hoyas are most likely negotiate on how to pay their trainer because they make in the dozens of millions of dollars, so most times in these kind of fights they probably negotiate with the trainer and pay him lower than 10 percent because even if they receive 5 percent, they still get daft amounts. Also if the fighter wins his fight, the trainer receives a bigger cut like a bonus or something, for the win or something.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Wed 30 Nov 2011, 3:20 pm

I don't really care that they aren't in their primes. They are not shot and are still deservedly p4p #1 & 2. I've always been of the opinion that floyd outboxes him and always have since day 1. Although pacquiao may not be as dangerous as before, he has a better technique then he normally did and also, floyd has had to adjust as his reflexes aren't up to scratch, he is a lot more aggressive these days and it should make for a very good fight. I hope it happens but still not convinced as Arum seems so bitter that mayweather doesn't get the biggest payday in boxing

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Wed 30 Nov 2011, 3:24 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:
AlexHuckerby wrote:

For the record, I think Mayweather takes a tight one if this happens after the Cotto fight. 115-113 or something similar.

Now, I can't see it being anything other than 118-110 sort of margin.

Exactly as I see it going.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 30 Nov 2011, 3:26 pm

Rest assured, I'd love Manny to roll out one more big performance and outwork him to a decision win (love to see Money get sparked, but that ain't happening), but really cannot see it at this stage and think Floyd will gain a decision with relative ease.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 30 Nov 2011, 3:27 pm

Will be awesome to see alll of the Pactards crying though...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Wed 30 Nov 2011, 3:27 pm

Like you said - i think it would have been closer, but I would have gone for Floyd back then and I would certainly go for him now.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 30 Nov 2011, 3:30 pm

Yeah agreed Daz. The slighest decline has that little bit more of an effect on a fighter with Manny's style than it does Floyd. Manny obviously relied on getting in and out and buzzing around for the entire fight. Floyd relies on reflexes, sure, but his fundamentals are that much better that it wont have such a negative effect.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 30 Nov 2011, 3:31 pm

coxy0001 wrote:

A time of year when you get to spend time with all the people who love you and exchange gifts and love with those people, can't understand why you wouldn't .....oh hang on.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next