The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fighters stuck on the Hillary step!!!

+3
Daz
Scottrf
TRUSSMAN66
7 posters

Go down

Fighters stuck on the Hillary step!!! Empty Fighters stuck on the Hillary step!!!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 30 Nov 2011, 3:05 pm

The Hillary step is the last ledge/obstacle to conquer before you reach the summit of Everest....A lot of people have died trying to manage it or have died stuck on it when the weather has turned bad....It's kind of one rung down from mountaineering greatness if you like....

Which fighters would you say were stuck on the Boxing Hillary step???? A frustrating place for sure!!

Hector Camacho, Donald Curry are two names that spring to mind.....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Fighters stuck on the Hillary step!!! Empty Re: Fighters stuck on the Hillary step!!!

Post by Scottrf Wed 30 Nov 2011, 3:12 pm

Pryor in terms of public recognition? Having beat Arguello not really in terms of achievement but never a household name.

Take a look at this TRUSSY:
https://www.606v2.com/t19278-best-wins-of-the-decade-80s

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Fighters stuck on the Hillary step!!! Empty Re: Fighters stuck on the Hillary step!!!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 30 Nov 2011, 3:24 pm

Pryor is great for me but I can understand the question marks....good choice..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Wed 30 Nov 2011, 3:25 pm

alma wrote:You love Curry so much I'm surprised you don't live above an Indian restaurant

Laugh Laugh Laugh

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 30 Nov 2011, 3:29 pm

You see Pryors such a hard one, two great wins over Arguello (Though one a tad controversial), and a good win over Cervantes (sp?) But not a load else on his record, in terms of ability and what not, without a shadow of a doubt he's up there, and a brilliant style. Bit difficult to call him a great though with what he has on his resume.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 30 Nov 2011, 3:31 pm

I didn't really mean in terms of achievement with Pryor, I just think he was one step away from a lot of recognition.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 30 Nov 2011, 3:32 pm

Dazstarr is easily impressed for anyone who cares.....

Pryor was poorly managed wasn't he...Lot's of names about like Mancini, Curry, Hearns..even Rosario but never had the fight post-Arguello to really catapult him...

Good choice for sure..good longevity and great fighter but he's contentious..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 30 Nov 2011, 3:34 pm

Not really his fault look who was about at that point in America, got unlucky with the olympics. He was always angry that he never got the recognition (that he deserved) and I think that was one of the reasons he called SRL out at that point in time, to just gain more recognition. Arguello was a big name though, to be fair not at his greatest weight however.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Wed 30 Nov 2011, 3:49 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Which fighters would you say were stuck on the Boxing Hillary step???? A frustrating place for sure!!

I think Trussman is stuck on the hillary step of actually writing a non-Curry related article. Just think you might do on occasion but then he always comes up.

Wink

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 30 Nov 2011, 3:56 pm

Why do you bother Mate....???

Simple question..for a simple guy..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Wed 30 Nov 2011, 3:57 pm

In recent times, perhaps a group of light-heavyweights such as Saad Muhammad, Mustafa Muhammad and Qawi might fit this bill, along with Galindez. Might have to give a shout out to Ken Buchanan here too, along with Esteban de Jesus. For the most part (Curry an exception), this category would tend to be inhabited by men who happened to be contemporaries of an all-time great, I would imagine.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Wed 30 Nov 2011, 3:58 pm

*from a simple guy..

Lighten up Trussy!

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Wed 30 Nov 2011, 4:01 pm

Woud agree with Camacho and Curry. James Toney would be another.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Wed 30 Nov 2011, 4:01 pm

Benitez another good one.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 30 Nov 2011, 4:02 pm

Is Ricky Hatton worth a mention, given that he lost twice, to the two all time greats of his era? Bit of a lesser option, but an option nevertheless.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 30 Nov 2011, 4:04 pm

Very true Captain......about the contempory stuff..

Don't know too much about Buchanan but I thought he only had one or two defences...shame he didn't get a rematch..

Virgil Hill probably is stuck on the step...Saad Muhammad is a very good choice..

Benitez is a nailed down great ..would've thought.....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 30 Nov 2011, 4:05 pm

De La Hoya probably got stuck on it, threw it away against Tito if he hadn't have done that, there might be a shout that he just qualifies as a great. Lost most of his biggest fights also.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Wed 30 Nov 2011, 4:06 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:Is Ricky Hatton worth a mention, given that he lost twice, to the two all time greats of his era? Bit of a lesser option, but an option nevertheless.

Doubt it fists - although he didnt hold undisputed status - he was known as the man at 140. Not sure he was ring champ at the time. Reached the peak there for me. His only downfall was at 147.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 30 Nov 2011, 4:08 pm

In terms of lasting greatness though, Daz.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Wed 30 Nov 2011, 4:10 pm

Well, Truss, you specifically thought that Benitez was not worthy of 606v2 Hall of Fame status (with which I agree, by the way, good as he was), so I'm not so sure on that one. There is a school of thought, of which I'm obviously an adherent, that if Buchanan hadn't run into Duran, he would have been undisputed champ for a total of about five years, give or take. Two defences as it was, then beat men like Ortiz (on his last legs, admittedly) and Watt afterwards, but minus Duran, you're probably looking at 10-12 defences and an undoubted position in the boxing Pantheon. Ah well...

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Wed 30 Nov 2011, 4:11 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:In terms of lasting greatness though, Daz.

See your point - probably British but not worldwide.

Although it also depends on how you define the peak - world champ, multi weight, undisputed, p4p or all time great.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 30 Nov 2011, 4:12 pm

I think he would go down as a slight underachiever, only because of his longevity issues and I think that a lot of it was down to the whole blowing up and pushing his weight back down.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down