The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I'm Coping Well Thanks

+11
drive4show
McLaren
Mercurio
MustPuttBetter
Diggers
JPX
Doon the Water
super_realist
kwinigolfer
Davie
Doc
15 posters

Go down

I'm Coping Well Thanks Empty I'm Coping Well Thanks

Post by Doc Thu 01 Dec 2011, 9:04 am

Last weekend Mrs Doc flew to Australia and will be gone for 3-weeks, for a family event, so left at home by myself. Would have loved to have gone with her, but work commitments mean no chance at this time of year. She's emailing and phoning me daily, as she feels sorry for me. So far it's great and found that you don't really need to make the bed or wash up constantly, as the kitchen seems full of cutlery and crockery. Blonde neighbour calls around to see if I'm ok, and its amazing how much sport you can watch every day on telly. Last night I watched a DVD of a Joe Bonamassa concert, and it seems I upset another neighbour due to the volume. Whilst she's away I'm seeing a club fitter on Saturday afternoon, for a launch session and maybe picking up some Miura CB301's (Used), so can't wait for that. I've organised a long weekend next week, and playing golf around cambridgeshire, Ely is a deffinate so far, but staying with the brother-in-law, so should get at least 2-rounds in. Life's good ...... Men can survive by themselves, and although I know I'll need to have the place mudded out before she gets home, I've seen an advert for naked cleaners.

Could you cope by yourself? I'm aware that Merc is doing it as Mrs Merc has moved jobs and gone Swiss, so he's by himself constantly.

Doc

Back to top Go down

I'm Coping Well Thanks Empty Re: I'm Coping Well Thanks

Post by Davie Thu 01 Dec 2011, 9:13 am

Enjoy the peace and quiet, Doc. Being divorced myself I know exactly what you mean (was it the JoBo DVD from the Albert Hall?)

Just remember when SWMBO returns to tell her how much you missed her and how difficult it was to cope!

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 01 Dec 2011, 9:18 am

Sounds like the old:
"I think my wife is dead"
"Why do you think that?"
"Well, the sex is the same but the ironing's beginning to pile up."

Good luck, Doc, sounds like you're doing famously.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 01 Dec 2011, 9:24 am

Just do what Mac does and pretend you have a wife. Best of both worlds.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Thu 01 Dec 2011, 9:30 am

Davie wrote:Enjoy the peace and quiet, Doc. Being divorced myself I know exactly what you mean (was it the JoBo DVD from the Albert Hall?)

Just remember when SWMBO returns to tell her how much you missed her and how difficult it was to cope!

Davie it was the Black Country Communion 'super group' thing, live from Hamburg/Berlin. Fantastic line up with Glen Hughes on lead vocals, Jason Bonham on drums and of course Bonamassa playing brilliantly, as well as doing vocals on a few numbers. A bit too heavy for me, but some of it was awesome. JB does a different version of Hadrians wall, which you'll love and another version of John Henry which is great. He's back in the UK early next year, and I'm seeing him in Blackpool in March, also Liverpool. He's also up your neck of the woods, so if you've not seen him live, get yourself some tickets as he's amazing live.

Thanks Kwini, I'll manage, but its amazing what you can do for yourself, but only when you feel you need to Very Happy

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu 01 Dec 2011, 9:34 am

Ah OK I've not seen the BCC DVD yet but I like the CDs. Glenn Hughes is a bit of a hero of mine (BCC also feature Derek Sherinian on keyboards who used to be with another of my favourites, Dream Theater)

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Thu 01 Dec 2011, 9:37 am

Dame Doon says she will miss me when I'm gone.
There will be no one to pick up the dog poo, wash the cars and put the bins out.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Thu 01 Dec 2011, 9:48 am

Doc, you'll be for it when she sees the bill for all those suspect sky nightly subscriptions!

warning

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 01 Dec 2011, 9:55 am

I like the idea of having the house to myself for a while, but truth is I get very bored after a night. No problem with the coping side, Marks and Spencers ready meals and takeaways will keep anyone alive.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 01 Dec 2011, 9:56 am

Diggers wrote:I like the idea of having the house to myself for a while, but truth is I get very bored after a night. No problem with the coping side, Marks and Spencers ready meals and takeaways will keep anyone alive.

You can only moan at yourself for so long Digs eh? Laugh

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Thu 01 Dec 2011, 10:00 am

Diggers wrote:Marks and Spencers ready meals and takeaways will keep anyone alive.

But bankrupt!
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 01 Dec 2011, 10:01 am

super_realist wrote:
Diggers wrote:I like the idea of having the house to myself for a while, but truth is I get very bored after a night. No problem with the coping side, Marks and Spencers ready meals and takeaways will keep anyone alive.

You can only moan at yourself for so long Digs eh? Laugh

If Im on the golf course SR I can moan at myself for a whole round pretty easily. Anyway garden sheds were invented to men can get away from their nagging wifes.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Thu 01 Dec 2011, 10:01 am

JPX wrote:Doc, you'll be for it when she sees the bill for all those suspect sky nightly subscriptions!

warning

Not for me, and why when tinternet is better Laugh

All my girls at work are feeling sorry for me, and asking if I would like them to bring me some lunch in. I jokingly said they should put a rota together for 'cleaning duties', and it seemed to go down well (pardon the pun) could be messy this, and poo and doorstep springs to mind Shocked

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Thu 01 Dec 2011, 10:10 am

Heh, enjoy it, Doc Braveheart

I only feel lonely (awwwwwww) on weekends when I've come back from golf and Mrs Merc and the doglets are not there to greet/congratulate/console me as I come through the door.

During the week it's not a problem as I'm usually doing something to occupy my time. We Facetime everyday and I also go over to Switzerland every three weeks. It's manageable for me, but Mrs Merc would like me over there yesterday. Unfortunately, I'm not sure there's enough to do over there to keep me occupied. The country seems to completely shutdown on a Sunday and I don't ski nor have an interest in wanting to take it up.

Nevertheless, I did say I was staying in the UK to improve my golf and that if I became a single-figure handicapper I would move over. I've lopped off 3.1 since saying that and am left with another 3.9 to go Erm (but at least after the next drop my reductions will only be 0.2 a stroke Whistle )

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Thu 01 Dec 2011, 10:26 am

Nice one Merc. Did you ever manage to get some real facts about Swiss club membership, because I seem to remember that it was like getting a mortgage actually getting membership. Not many pay and play's neither I would imagine. OK

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Thu 01 Dec 2011, 10:36 am

Doc wrote:Nice one Merc. Did you ever manage to get some real facts about Swiss club membership, because I seem to remember that it was like getting a mortgage actually getting membership. Not many pay and play's neither I would imagine. OK

Annual membership at Lausanne (which is one of the top-end clubs) wasn't that bad (about £2,000-£2,500 a year, I think). The problem was the joining fee which was about £16-17k. Even with the level of salary I could expect to receive over there, it's still a lot of money if I would only be there for 2 or 3 years.

A closer club to where Mrs Merc is living is Club de Lavaux. Similar annual fees, I think, but the joining fee is about £8k.

As you may expect, I looked at Crans-sur-Sierre but didn't investigate prices once I realised the distance from home would make it impractical Crying or Very sad

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Thu 01 Dec 2011, 10:45 am

Those joining fees are a bit extreme Merc, is it a share you buy which you can sell back when you move back home. Or is it just lost/dead cash that benefits just the club?

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 01 Dec 2011, 10:48 am

As me girlfriend is only 13 (if you believe the reports on here) I would imagine it would be her who has issues coping not me.

Although if she is a wizard as some also seem to think she should be able to fend for herself.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Thu 01 Dec 2011, 10:52 am

Doc wrote:Those joining fees are a bit extreme Merc, is it a share you buy which you can sell back when you move back home. Or is it just lost/dead cash that benefits just the club?

I think they were referred to as non-refundable which I've assumed means "Bye-bye, cash!"

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Thu 01 Dec 2011, 12:12 pm

McLaren wrote:As me girlfriend is only 13 (if you believe the reports on here) I would imagine it would be her who has issues coping not me.

Although if she is a wizard as some also seem to think she should be able to fend for herself.
McLaren? Have you been drinking? Shocked

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Thu 01 Dec 2011, 1:19 pm

It's a tough life Doc but someone has to do it. Good on you for taking one for the team Wink

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Thu 01 Dec 2011, 4:06 pm

Doc wrote:I've organised a long weekend next week, and playing golf around cambridgeshire, Ely is a deffinate so far, but staying with the brother-in-law, so should get at least 2-rounds in.

Just a hop step and jump down the road from me Doc. Ely is a nice little course, kind of tight and look out for groups who started at the 10th muscling in on the first tee. Where else might you be playing. If I can suggest that a few miles East of Ely is Thetford Forest, a real crackerjack of a course and high on my list of favourites. Or you could give Hunstanton a whirl, a very highly rated Links course that will only allow 2 ball groups on, but is apparently well worth the price tag, although should be cheaper at this time of year.
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 01 Dec 2011, 4:17 pm

What about royal worlington, only nine holes but is supposed to be very good. Plenty of dunn and colt contributions.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Thu 01 Dec 2011, 4:19 pm

oldshanker wrote:
Doc wrote:I've organised a long weekend next week, and playing golf around cambridgeshire, Ely is a deffinate so far, but staying with the brother-in-law, so should get at least 2-rounds in.

Just a hop step and jump down the road from me Doc. Ely is a nice little course, kind of tight and look out for groups who started at the 10th muscling in on the first tee. Where else might you be playing. If I can suggest that a few miles East of Ely is Thetford Forest, a real crackerjack of a course and high on my list of favourites. Or you could give Hunstanton a whirl, a very highly rated Links course that will only allow 2 ball groups on, but is apparently well worth the price tag, although should be cheaper at this time of year.

If you are heading out to the coast, agreed that Hunstanton is top notch but I would also add in Royal West Norfolk (Brancaster) which in my humble opinion is even better!

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Thu 01 Dec 2011, 4:28 pm

Shanks are you able to get out next Friday, for a knock? I was going to travel down late morning and go straight to my brother in law's pm. But if a game of golf's on the cards can get down early doors. They live in the village of Mepal and he's a member at Ely, but willing to meet up anywhere down in that neck of the woods OK I seem to remember us discussing a great muni course in Peterborough (Thorpe Wood or something) I played that last year and it was decent track.

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Thu 01 Dec 2011, 4:29 pm

McLaren wrote:What about royal worlington, only nine holes but is supposed to be very good. Plenty of dunn and colt contributions.

Blimey Mac - I had to google that and I drive almost past it every single work day. Everybody I know calls it Newmarket, but yes, there, Sudbury, Bury St Edmunds, all reasonable and very friendly.
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Thu 01 Dec 2011, 4:40 pm

Doc wrote:Shanks are you able to get out next Friday, for a knock? I was going to travel down late morning and go straight to my brother in law's pm. But if a game of golf's on the cards can get down early doors. They live in the village of Mepal and he's a member at Ely, but willing to meet up anywhere down in that neck of the woods OK I seem to remember us discussing a great muni course in Peterborough (Thorpe Wood or something) I played that last year and it was decent track.

He's one of the Mepal people is he? High sixes all round then! Wink

Next Friday? Hmmm? That might be possible! I'll have to check at work tomorrow and see if I can do a little diary manipulation.

Thorpe Wood is my club so there is a good choice. I'll PM you, it will take quite a bit of moving people around, but I'll see what I can do.
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Thu 01 Dec 2011, 4:44 pm

oldshanker wrote:
Doc wrote:Shanks are you able to get out next Friday, for a knock? I was going to travel down late morning and go straight to my brother in law's pm. But if a game of golf's on the cards can get down early doors. They live in the village of Mepal and he's a member at Ely, but willing to meet up anywhere down in that neck of the woods OK I seem to remember us discussing a great muni course in Peterborough (Thorpe Wood or something) I played that last year and it was decent track.

He's one of the Mepal people is he? High sixes all round then! Wink

Next Friday? Hmmm? That might be possible! I'll have to check at work tomorrow and see if I can do a little diary manipulation.

Thorpe Wood is my club so there is a good choice. I'll PM you, it will take quite a bit of moving people around, but I'll see what I can do.

Yes high 6's Laugh He'll be chuffed to bits when I tell him.

Cheers shanks, will be good to meet up for knock and not bothered where or when, I'll be there. OK

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 01 Dec 2011, 4:45 pm

Oldshanker

I think i first read about it in Darwins book where he writes about the golf in each region of the UK.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 01 Dec 2011, 4:47 pm

Mac, Have you got Doak's Golf Course Top Trumps?

Hours of fun.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Thu 01 Dec 2011, 4:49 pm

Apparently SR the Windmil trumps everything

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Thu 01 Dec 2011, 4:50 pm

McLaren wrote:Oldshanker

I think i first read about it in Darwins book where he writes about the golf in each region of the UK.

Is that the one called 'The origin of the species' mac ?
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Thu 01 Dec 2011, 5:07 pm

super_realist wrote:Mac, Have you got Doak's Golf Course Top Trumps?

Hours of fun.

Just 5 minutes ago I read a review of Royal Ashdown Forest where it says:

Twelfth hole, 565 yards; Tom Doak selects this three shotter as one of the best in the world for good reason. The golfer must hold both his tee shot and his second shot against the right to left fairway slope. Both shots must clear heather, and if the tee ball doesn’t find a good lie, crossing the heather with your second will be a challenge. The sloping green is beautifully situated around ridges that throw the sloppy shot off and create a variety of recovery shots.

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Thu 01 Dec 2011, 11:35 pm

Doc wrote:Last weekend Mrs Doc flew to Australia and will be gone for 3-weeks, for a family event, so left at home by myself. Would have loved to have gone with her, but work commitments mean no chance at this time of year. She's emailing and phoning me daily, as she feels sorry for me. So far it's great and found that you don't really need to make the bed or wash up constantly, as the kitchen seems full of cutlery and crockery. Blonde neighbour calls around to see if I'm ok, and its amazing how much sport you can watch every day on telly. Last night I watched a DVD of a Joe Bonamassa concert, and it seems I upset another neighbour due to the volume. Whilst she's away I'm seeing a club fitter on Saturday afternoon, for a launch session and maybe picking up some Miura CB301's (Used), so can't wait for that. I've organised a long weekend next week, and playing golf around cambridgeshire, Ely is a deffinate so far, but staying with the brother-in-law, so should get at least 2-rounds in. Life's good ...... Men can survive by themselves, and although I know I'll need to have the place mudded out before she gets home, I've seen an advert for naked cleaners.

Could you cope by yourself? I'm aware that Merc is doing it as Mrs Merc has moved jobs and gone Swiss, so he's by himself constantly.

Been on my own for 6 years mate. Once you get through the hairypalmedchucklinginanelytoyourselfstage, you find that life is pretty good as a singley Hug
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Fri 02 Dec 2011, 8:14 am

The American comedian Gary Shandling used to say:-

"When I'm not in a relationship, I shave one leg. That way, when I sleep, it feels like I'm with a woman" Laugh

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 02 Dec 2011, 9:47 am

What the hell has Doak got to do with anything?

Bernard Darwin just incase you were being serious shanker, although I think you were just kidding with me.

I forgot to check his book last night to see what he wrote about the place.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down