The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

11 overrated test cricketers who are playing Test Cricket at the moment

+15
ShankyCricket
Demon Racer
Mad for Chelsea
Galted
Luke
indianfan
rich1uk
sirfredperry
LondonTiger
skyeman
JDizzle
GG
Gregers
Mike Selig
Fists of Fury
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

11 overrated test cricketers who are playing Test Cricket at the moment Empty 11 overrated test cricketers who are playing Test Cricket at the moment

Post by Guest Sat 3 Dec 2011 - 22:03

Done underrated, now overrtaed test side, this is mine, let me know what you think, and/or make your own

HAS TO BE PLAYERS THAT ARE PLAYING IN TEST CRICKET AT THE MOMENT

1.Lendl Simmons
2.Jacuqes Rudolph
3.Jesse Ryder
4.Usman Khawaja
5.Asad Shafiq
6.Marlon Samuels
7.M.S.Dhoni (ONLY IN TEST CRICKET, HE IS AWESOME IN ODI'S BUT IN TESTS, HE IS UNBELIEAVABLY INCONSISNET)
8.Suraj Randiv
9.Mitchell Johnson
10.Chris Martin
11.Keamr Roach

Back to top Go down

11 overrated test cricketers who are playing Test Cricket at the moment Empty Re: 11 overrated test cricketers who are playing Test Cricket at the moment

Post by Fists of Fury Sat 3 Dec 2011 - 22:08

Not sure Chris Martin is over-rated. We all know he is a decent, honest bowler that won't let anyone down, but nobody raves about him. Likewise, we all know that his batting is guff!

Khawaja over-rated? Don't think so, most people are questioning his place in the side.

A few over-rated Test cricketers in my opinion: Ashwell Prince, Morne Morkel, Brendon McCullum, Gautam Gambhir.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

11 overrated test cricketers who are playing Test Cricket at the moment Empty Re: 11 overrated test cricketers who are playing Test Cricket at the moment

Post by Guest Sat 3 Dec 2011 - 22:09

morkel and gautam gambhir are not underrated, they are class.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Sat 3 Dec 2011 - 22:12

You're right, they're not underrated, they're overrated Wink

Morkel isn't all that impressive to me. Too expensive, but admittedly very dangerous on the right pitch. Very much a bouncy track man that bowls a lot of boundary balls.

Gambhir struggles against the moving ball, though he is obviously very good when there is no lateral movement. England exposed him quite badly.

Can we change the title cf, so that people can discuss past over-rated cricketers, too? It'd be interesting to find out what people think.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 3 Dec 2011 - 22:24

at this stage can we leave it, cos i put a team up...

fists i will create a new thread tomorrow to discuss past cricketeters as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Sat 3 Dec 2011 - 22:33

Probably no need for a new thread, we will let it run its course based on current players and then begin discussing past players once that is the case.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Sat 3 Dec 2011 - 22:57

I don't think many of those you've listed are overrated TBH. Rudolph maybe.

Simmonds has great potential but is a bit stupid.
Ryder yes I'll give you that.
Khawaja to me absolutely oozes class when he bats. If he can cut out the nonchalant dismissals he'll be a great player, if he can't he'll just be very good.
Asad Shafiq I don't actually know much about.
Samuels isn't very good, but I don't think anyone thinks otherwise do they?
Dhoni I honestly just see as someone going through a very rough patch. Captain-keeper is a tough combination. I'm not sure he's any worse than he seems.
Johnson everyone knows is a potential match-winner who most of the time bowls dross but still gets wickets. I think I'd still want him in my team most of the time, but with this new crop of young bowlers coming through I think his time is limitted.
Randiv has nice flight but nothing else, but again does anyone think he's upto much?
Martin is what he is. An honest pro who tries hard, gives his all, gets crucial wickets and overall does his job. He is also the worst batsman I have ever seen. He is one of the few batsmen who I watch on TV who I confidently say I'm better than.
Kumar Roach is raw talent at the moment.

I used to think Bresnan was over-rated. Then I saw him bowl at Melbourne. I actually think Jayawardene is slightly overrated. He is a good player but his record in swinging conditions is awful. I wouldn't actually rate him as very good TBH.

But really I don't think they're that many over-rated players around. Technical analysis being what it is, it is hard for a poor player to survive nowadays. And let's be honest, any player who makes it to that level is a damn fine player.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Sat 3 Dec 2011 - 23:01

KP

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Sat 3 Dec 2011 - 23:12

Doh Gregers, you just had to, didn't you?

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Sat 3 Dec 2011 - 23:19

He fits the title perfectly tho... And its ages since I've based Kp! He constantly gets out playing a stupid shot and hasn't scored a hundred in over 2 years in ODI cricket yet is treated as if he is the most amazing player going. Hugely hugely overrated.

Another overrated player would be bopara (but maybe only by the selectors) oh and Harby who has done incredibly well to get to 400 wickets considering.

Gregers

Back to top Go down

Post by GG Sat 3 Dec 2011 - 23:34

Gambhir, Brendon McCullum, Shane Watson (batting in tests), and Strauss. Tendulkar i feel is overrated by many Indian fans...he's still awesome though.

GG

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Sun 4 Dec 2011 - 1:31

Chris Gayle. Everyone talks like him coming back into the Windies side owuld suddenly make them competitive again. He is a good player, probably better than what they have at the moment, but he is overrated in the longest form of the game for me.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Sun 4 Dec 2011 - 1:47

GG wrote:Gambhir, Brendon McCullum, Shane Watson (batting in tests), and Strauss. Tendulkar i feel is overrated by many Indian fans...he's still awesome though.

I agree with McCullum and Gambhir to a certain extent. Watson's batting can be up and down, but he (like Sehwag) if he gets going can put the opposition on the backfoot very quickly. But imo he is the second best all rounder in Test cricket at the moment, so overall, highly rated.
Strauss has a modest ave of 41.98 in Tests but could become the captain of one of Englands greatest ever sides.
The Tendulka/god thing is the only thing is the only thing i can think of that you mean from the fans. That is going a bit far i agree.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 4 Dec 2011 - 9:04

To be over rated you have to be rated. Take for example Chris Martin - he is a good solid player, he is no world beater but no-one claims he is. thus hard for him to be over-rated.

Most over-rated player for me - Virender Sehwag. For the last year of 606 and on other forums he still gets pushed as the greatest batsman ever. Excellent batsman but still over-rated.

In general only really good players can be over-rated - or those who are horribly inconsistent.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Sun 4 Dec 2011 - 10:14

I agree sehwag is over-rated. Much like Gambhir he struggles a lot with lateral movement, and that doesn't make you a modern great.

Very good, but not great.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 5 Dec 2011 - 13:14

Bit unfair to say Sehwag is over-rated. Has there been a top order batsman who has scored so quickly IN LONG INNINGS? Anyone can blaze away for a quick 50, but Sehwag has made monster scores at amazing rates.
Just have a look at the stats for the fastest 200s. He's got nearly all of them. I would say he was one of the most destructive Test batsman we've seen.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Mon 5 Dec 2011 - 13:16

For reasons I've already explained Kp must surely be at 4 in any overrated player list!

Gregers

Back to top Go down

Post by rich1uk Mon 5 Dec 2011 - 13:33

Gregers wrote:For reasons I've already explained Kp must surely be at 4 in any overrated player list!

makes me wonder what someone would have to do to be deserving of his status if a test average of 50+ , 19 centuries with 8 of those 19 being 150+ and three being 200+ , is still classed as being "over-rated"

rich1uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 5 Dec 2011 - 13:50

Laugh

Sorry I take full responsibility for unleashing the Gregers inner beast with my KP thread.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by indianfan Wed 7 Dec 2011 - 11:38

@GG
you must be a pakistani to call tendulkar being overrated
my over rated side is

1.shahid afridi - highly highly over rated
2.dilshan
3.shaun tait
4.jaque rudolph
5.yuvraj singh(in tests he is a great odi player)
6.ms dhoni (again in tests, he is the best indian ODI batter since i started watching cricket)
7.umar gul - in tests

indianfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 7 Dec 2011 - 11:41

I quite agree with your list, other than Afridi, surprisingly.

In Tests he never had the style to cut it (though he did have it within him to change a game within a session, I remember him hammering England with a rapid 90-odd a few years back), but in the shorter format he is actually one of the best bowlers in the world. Consistently takes wickets and is vry economical. With the bat he has failed to deliver on too many occasions, I'd agree with that, but again when he does fire it almost wins the match for his team, such is his strike rate.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Wed 7 Dec 2011 - 13:12

I don't think Shaun Tait is overrated that much either to be honest. You expect him to take wickets, but perhaps be a bit expensive in T20's and ODI's and that is what he does.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by indianfan Wed 7 Dec 2011 - 13:17

@jdizzle
he was supposed blow away indian batting line up in 2008 perth test all he managed do was getting questioned by ricky ponting about how big his heart is or how much his fortitude is

indianfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 7 Dec 2011 - 13:20

Bit of an enigma was Tait. Unplayable at times, but utter garbage at others. You always knew something was going to happen when he had the ball in hand, though.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Wed 7 Dec 2011 - 14:10

Brendan McCullam,
Mitchell Johnson,
Ross Taylor (needs more consistency in my opinion),
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 7 Dec 2011 - 14:11

He does need to be more consistent, but I actually rate Taylor very highly and think he has the ability to do very well for himself.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Wed 7 Dec 2011 - 14:18

Certainly Tait never quite made it in the Test match arena. And I agree that he can be wayward at times in the ODI and T20 games, but it's harsh to call him overrated because this is what everyone expects to happen!

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Wed 7 Dec 2011 - 14:25

agree with GG re Tendulkar - it doesn't mean he's anything less than brilliant but to be worshipped as a god by so many of his countrymen & with commentators unable to refer to him by anything other than "the little master" (when it's not even clear-cut he's the best batsman, let alone cricketer, of his generation) means he couldn't be anything but overrated. Apologies for the long sentence but I couldn't find a spot to shove a full stop in.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 7 Dec 2011 - 14:30

does anyone still rate Mitch Johnson? If so he's certainly over-rated Very Happy

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Wed 7 Dec 2011 - 14:32

Fists of Fury wrote:He does need to be more consistent, but I actually rate Taylor very highly and think he has the ability to do very well for himself.

Technically he is very good, and when he's in he is a beautiful batsman to watch. BUT to me he's very frustrating, as he should be doing alot better than what he is, he gives his wicket away with stupid shots/decisions far to often for my liking.

Though to be fair, being part of that inconsistent side, might be affecting his performances.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Demon Racer Wed 7 Dec 2011 - 18:04

Ross Taylor has plenty of technical issues, but an average of 40+ shows he has serious talent.

Demon Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by GG Wed 7 Dec 2011 - 19:24

cricketfan wrote:@GG

Like I said, he is a terrific player but not as good as the Indian media and their fans make him out to be. I'd say Kallis is on par with him in terms of batting.

GG

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 7 Dec 2011 - 19:26

GG just wanna make it clear that it wasnt me that said that lol..

someone else regiesterd as cricketfan Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 7 Dec 2011 - 19:28

he is overrated in india.

Back to top Go down

Post by GG Wed 7 Dec 2011 - 20:44

cricketfan90 wrote:GG just wanna make it clear that it wasnt me that said that lol..

someone else regiesterd as cricketfan Sad

Sorry, thought it was you! Someone clearly trying to sponge off your fame!

GG

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Wed 7 Dec 2011 - 20:56

Cf has not won the lifetime award just yet Very Happy

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Tue 20 Dec 2011 - 9:59

GG wrote:

Like I said, he is a terrific player but not as good as the Indian media and their fans make him out to be. I'd say Kallis is on par with him in terms of batting.

Laugh Laugh

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 20 Dec 2011 - 15:21

if you compare Kallis and Sachin by sheer amout of runs they have scored in test matches then there's not much in it at all.

Back to top Go down

Post by GG Tue 20 Dec 2011 - 15:32

shankythebiggestengfan wrote:
GG wrote:

Laugh Laugh

I know you're in india shanks, but no need to act like one of their brainwashed fans.

GG

Back to top Go down

Post by indianfan Tue 20 Dec 2011 - 15:44

its me who called u pakistani GG
I stand by comments and i see no other reason why one should call tendulkar underrated , im not his fan by the way

indianfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 20 Dec 2011 - 15:45

Cricketfan, any chance we can change your username for you? i hate having two of you Wink

Let me know if you wish it to be changed, and what you would want it changing to.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 20 Dec 2011 - 15:46

plz change it IM THE ONLY CRICKETFAN around here

New cricketfan nearly 13,000 posts only cricket fan round here Whistle

that will be all

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Tue 20 Dec 2011 - 15:57

Can I suggest VVS Laxman?

Obviously a good player and has produced a few magnificent innings, but to be mentioned in the same breath as Tendulkar (no, he is not the Messiah, but neither is he a very naughty boy, tremendous batsman) and Dravid (probably slightly under-valued because of the presence of ST in the Indian middle order) is over-stating VVS's qualities.

I get where Gregers is coming from with regard to KP - don't think over-rated is quite the right term, but he is certainly a frustrating player in that he manages too frequently to get himself out when well set.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by indianfan Tue 20 Dec 2011 - 16:19

@fists of fury

Given the inconvenience im causing to CF i would like to get my name changed to indianfan please

indianfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 20 Dec 2011 - 16:26

thank you

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue 20 Dec 2011 - 16:38

well it is a bit confusing having two cricketfans on here, as when you just say "cf" it's not all that clear who you're referring to. good on you then cricketfan for making our lives a bit easier Very Happy

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 20 Dec 2011 - 16:38

indianfan wrote:@fists of fury

Given the inconvenience im causing to CF i would like to get my name changed to indianfan please

Done Smile.

I-F, I think you'll have to log in using username "indianfan" from now on. Your password should still be the same. Please let me or Fists know if you have any problems logging on (from memory there's a link on the log-in screen to message us Admins if needed).
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 20 Dec 2011 - 20:48

Kiwi, thanks for doing that :thumbsup I've just got back in and thought 'how on earth has he managed to change his name himself' haha.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Wed 21 Dec 2011 - 10:06

GG wrote:
shankythebiggestengfan wrote:
GG wrote:

Laugh Laugh

I know you're in india shanks, but no need to act like one of their brainwashed fans.
Or maybe you need to look beyond just statistics and actually watch them bat.I cant remember Kallis playing too many great innings.Sachin plays great knocks almost at will.As for me being an indian fan,get a life son.I think most neutrals would agree that Sachin is a better batsman.You dont have to be an Indian fan to feel that.Ask any England fan on CMS.Ask the likes of greyblazer,etc.Or even ask the likes of Fists,etc over here.
Are they all brianwashed indian fans?

And I wonder why you havent said the same about Tendulkar on CMS.Maybe you are scared of the reaction that you will get from the Indian fans on there.Thats why you are hiding on an English forum calling Tendulkar overrated and calling Sehwag a flat track bully.

No offense meant.But I found your comment about me being a brainwashed Indian fan as disgraceful.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Wed 21 Dec 2011 - 10:19

How anyone can say Tendulkar is overrated is beyond me. The guy oozes classa and has been one of the best batsmen in the world for well over a decade. His record speaks for itself, and shows what a superb player he is.

Yes he had a poor series in England but he should be judged on his career, not a series.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next