The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Outstanding (on form) players for England?

+3
LondonTiger
formerly known as Sam
englandglory4ever
7 posters

Go down

Outstanding (on form) players for England? Empty Outstanding (on form) players for England?

Post by englandglory4ever Mon 05 Dec 2011, 11:24 am

Having watched some AP/HC games the standout players that England MUST look at are:-

1 Nick Wood (Glocs LH) Every prop that has come up against him this season has struggled incl. Castro G. He carries well too.
2. Chris Robshaw (Quins backrow) Outstanding effort for the whole match week in week out.
3. Mike Brown (Quins FB) Scores a try every week as does the Fullback job excellently. No mistakes.

These 3 for me MUST be called up to the full England squad to be looked at. If not the new England coaches will have already failed to spot on-form talent.

Has anybody else identified real stand out (England qualified) performances week in week out for their clubs?

englandglory4ever

Back to top Go down

Outstanding (on form) players for England? Empty Re: Outstanding (on form) players for England?

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 05 Dec 2011, 11:42 am

Brown has been called up previously and only ever done alright, on current form he is playing very well but so is Foden who has proved he can do the business on the international stage. Brown is in a fight for squad back up but may lose out to a utility player.

Robshaw is a no brainer.

Wood? Hmm not sure, Sheridan proved at the RWC he still had it, Corbisiero is already a fixture in the squad and is playing well enough and there is Matt Mullan who has been in great form for the Warriors at both set piece and in the loose. Wood is a contender but by no means a certain selection.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Outstanding (on form) players for England? Empty Re: Outstanding (on form) players for England?

Post by LondonTiger Mon 05 Dec 2011, 11:50 am

englandglory4ever wrote:Having watched some AP/HC games the standout players that England MUST look at are:-

1 Nick Wood (Glocs LH) Every prop that has come up against him this season has struggled incl. Castro G. He carries well too.

I guess we must be seeing different things. In the two matches between us and Glaws this season Tigers have had a very clear superiority in the scrum, with neither Cole nor Castro struggling.

I like Nick Wood just worry that like Mullan at Worcester he seems rather "ickle" for a prop. Admittedly that did not hurt Tom Smith, but are we in a different era now?

I like Mike Brown, always have. My only issue with him was his pace - but he has worked on that. I would certainly have him in the EPS as understudy to Foden.

As to other players who have stood out so far:

At Tigers Cole is outplaying Castro and Flood has run the team really well. Croft and Waldrom are also in good form. Youngs just coming back from injury.

Elsewhere - Burns looked good against us. I think Trinder has been outstanding this season. Farrell looked good but has had two poor games now. Foden is playing well for Saints. Whatever 3/4s Quins put out have looked good - damn shame Nick Evans isn't English.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 05 Dec 2011, 11:50 am

Oh and yes robshaw should be a sho ein to the squad, and I thought Care looked sharp this weekend.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 05 Dec 2011, 11:51 am

Dont forget Marler who is playing well in a team that is unbeaten at the top of them Prem....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by robshaw4england Mon 05 Dec 2011, 11:53 am

Marler is going to be an awesome player, get him involved in the EPS a.s.a.p

robshaw4england

Back to top Go down

Post by englandglory4ever Mon 05 Dec 2011, 12:11 pm

I wasn't particularly interested in players that were already in the squad. But I'd say Lee Dickson (EQ?) and Joe Simpson are playing better than Danny Care. Danny still has the ability to slow the game to a snail's pace while he decides what to do with the ball at rucktime.

englandglory4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 05 Dec 2011, 12:12 pm

Why not just chuck every single Quins player into the EPS and we can finish the discussion?

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 05 Dec 2011, 12:13 pm

What about young Fitzpatrick up here in Newcastle....

Bruising powerhouse of a 12.....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 05 Dec 2011, 12:15 pm

robshaw4england wrote:Marler is going to be an awesome player, get him involved in the EPS a.s.a.p

So Rowntree can try and teach him how to scrummage? Wink

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by englandglory4ever Mon 05 Dec 2011, 12:20 pm

Marler is good in the loose there is no doubt but he has serious weaknesses as a test scrummager.

englandglory4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by englandglory4ever Mon 05 Dec 2011, 12:21 pm

"What about young Fitzpatrick up here in Newcastle...."

What about him? Has he been putting in outstanding performances that make you sit up and notice every single week?

englandglory4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 05 Dec 2011, 12:34 pm

Mullan at Worcester he seems rather "ickle" for a prop

He seems to use it to his advantage though, he gets very low and then drives up into the chest of the opposition prop. He perfromed very well against Euan Murray in the match against the Falcons.

Marler is going to be an awesome player, get him involved in the EPS a.s.a.p.

Unfortunatley the key word in that sentence is 'going'. Until he can scrummage to an international standard England can't utilise him. We need set piece strength to compete and Marler doesn't offer that.

What about young Fitzpatrick up here in Newcastle....

Bruising powerhouse of a 12......

Good young player but for me the only player who should be wearing the 12 shirt is Brad Barritt. If he's still injured by then Fitzpatrick may be in with a shout but I think Twelvetrees, Farrell (particularly if we plan to play a territorial game) and JTH will also be considered there.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 05 Dec 2011, 12:38 pm

Actually Sam...i dont think Fitzy is ready for the Seniors yet....possibly worth a look at the Saxons though....if he continues to put in some of his performances. He's a huge powerful lad. Scored on Friday ....put some massive hits in....

One to watch anyway.

I agree Barritt should be the starting England 12.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by tooboredtowork Mon 05 Dec 2011, 12:42 pm

Matt Mullan has a further shoulder injury. Not sure how long he is out for this time.

Mike Brown should certainly be in EPS and I think he would have a good chance of starting ahead of Foden, who should be on a warning to start delivering at international level.

Robshaw is a no-brainer. Only one of our plethera of sixes who looks like he could be a real 7, with our only good and proper 7 languishing in France.

I've always liked Nick Wood. Marler will be a dead cert if he can improve his scrummaging.

tooboredtowork

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 05 Dec 2011, 12:44 pm

Actually Sam...i dont think Fitzy is ready for the Seniors yet

If his performances continue to be good and he shows the necessary consistentcy I'd argue that the back up 12 spot is currently wide open as only Barritt has shown the all round game and level of consistentcy required to be a certainty in the squad.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down