The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I'm going to have cold balls on Saturday

+6
Maverick
George1507
navyblueshorts
raycastleunited
Mercurio
Marcus
10 posters

Go down

I'm going to have cold balls on Saturday Empty I'm going to have cold balls on Saturday

Post by Marcus Tue 06 Dec 2011, 3:29 pm

I'm playing in a charridy texas scramble on Saturday, and the weather is meant to be rather chilly. Normally I don't play if the mercury dips below 55, but on this occasion I'm going to make an exception.

Anyway... two questions... Does anyone have any suggestions as to what ball to use in very cold conditions? I have read somewhere that Wilson DX3's are pretty good in the cold because they're only 50 compression. I've not used a Wilson ball for about 20 years though.

2nd question... If I stick with my usual ball, does warming them up prior to the round actually work, and if so, what's the best way to warm them?

Marcus

Back to top Go down

I'm going to have cold balls on Saturday Empty Re: I'm going to have cold balls on Saturday

Post by Mercurio Tue 06 Dec 2011, 3:43 pm

Marcus wrote:2nd question... If I stick with my usual ball, does warming them up prior to the round actually work, and if so, what's the best way to warm them?
Do you know how love-beads are used?

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

I'm going to have cold balls on Saturday Empty Re: I'm going to have cold balls on Saturday

Post by raycastleunited Tue 06 Dec 2011, 4:01 pm

Serious answer: I keep two balls in my pocket in winter and alternate them on each hole.

Merc - laughing you're on form at the moment.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 06 Dec 2011, 4:07 pm

Marcus wrote:I'm playing in a charridy texas scramble on Saturday, and the weather is meant to be rather chilly. Normally I don't play if the mercury dips below 55, but on this occasion I'm going to make an exception.

Anyway... two questions... Does anyone have any suggestions as to what ball to use in very cold conditions? I have read somewhere that Wilson DX3's are pretty good in the cold because they're only 50 compression. I've not used a Wilson ball for about 20 years though.

2nd question... If I stick with my usual ball, does warming them up prior to the round actually work, and if so, what's the best way to warm them?
I tend to go for a slightly softer ball in the cold. Wilson FG Tour is ~75 compression I think and that's pretty soft - good ball. Also have a load of TM Burner Tour balls for Winter use as don't need the spin of a urethane cover in the wet. TM website quotes them as a 57 compression too.

As for warming balls, nope, it makes little difference. By the time you have the ball on the tee, taken a few warmup swings etc, the ball will have lost any warmth it had. That said, I do stick balls in pockets from green to next tee (Erm) but not convinced it makes much difference. Have heard of people playing with one ball and having an identical one in their pocket; they alternate the balls on alternate tees....not sure that'll make any difference either.

Mercurio wrote:Do you know how love-beads are used?
Laugh laughing
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Tue 06 Dec 2011, 5:09 pm

Put your balls on the bedroom radiator the night before. It does help a bit. Also swapping balls after each hole can help too. If nothing else, your partner will be impressed that you start on each new hole with a different ball. If you really want to impress, try swapping shafts. I've found the cold weather adversely affects mine.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Tue 06 Dec 2011, 5:36 pm

Never leave clubs out in a garage or boot of car as the cold affects them and can cause long term damage, that you may not be able to see but will affect the results of your shots, something that was told to me by a very good teaching pro and professional club fitter.

ALso the tip about a ball in your pocket is a good one as a warm ball will fly further than one thats cold. So keep alternating just be sure to inform you playing partners of the change.

If your after a decent ball the Nike PD soft, pretty cheap and good compression ideal for cold days

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Tue 06 Dec 2011, 5:45 pm

Maverick wrote:
just be sure to inform you playing partners of the change.

Sorry to be pedantic, but you don't need to inform your playing partners what ball you are using. All you need to be able to do is identify your ball.

I might try out the Nike PD soft over winter. Sounds like a good shout. Have also been thinking of switching to the srixon soft feel for winter - are these any good?

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Tue 06 Dec 2011, 5:56 pm

I'm not saying you do have to inform them, but in my experience and from those I play with it's common courtesy t do so in event of a wayward shot, they may well get to the spot where your ball is before you and can make identifying the ball easier.

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Tue 06 Dec 2011, 7:11 pm

This time of year I start playing with what I call bricks (usually Pinnacles), I find in cold conditions they play well.

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by GWR-Golfer Tue 06 Dec 2011, 7:32 pm

Maverick wrote:Never leave clubs out in a garage or boot of car as the cold affects them and can cause long term damage, that you may not be able to see but will affect the results of your shots, something that was told to me by a very good teaching pro and professional club fitter.

ALso the tip about a ball in your pocket is a good one as a warm ball will fly further than one thats cold. So keep alternating just be sure to inform you playing partners of the change.

If your after a decent ball the Nike PD soft, pretty cheap and good compression ideal for cold days

Mav - never heard this before - I have always stored my clubs in a garage and never had any problems at all. Did they say what the problems would be?
GWR-Golfer
GWR-Golfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Tue 06 Dec 2011, 7:46 pm

Apparently the low temperatures cause shafts to erode from the inside - out. So i'm told and as you cannot see internal rust I tend to believe him.

This would cause problems with shaft frequency and performance so since I was told that they live in the spare room

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 06 Dec 2011, 7:50 pm

I also wonder if like rocks over time the metal of the club heads can be damaged and eroded by spending time at different temperatures?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Tue 06 Dec 2011, 7:54 pm

Thats pretty much how it was explained to me

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 06 Dec 2011, 8:11 pm

I f1 they use heated blankets and wrap them around tyres that are about to go onto a car at a pit stop to lessen the time needed to heat the tyres back up to operating temperature once the car is back on track. I wonder, could someone event something like one of those pocket hand warmers that could wrap around a ball while it is in your pocket?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 06 Dec 2011, 8:21 pm

Maverick wrote:Apparently the low temperatures cause shafts to erode from the inside - out. So i'm told and as you cannot see internal rust I tend to believe him.

This would cause problems with shaft frequency and performance so since I was told that they live in the spare room

I've had a shaft do just that, snapped on my follow through and club head hit me right on my napper. Hence why I change my clubs fairly regularly.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Tue 06 Dec 2011, 8:23 pm

Something to go in your pocket to keep your balls warm.... Whistle the connotations...

Probably best to invent a heated pocket for the golf bag.

Mate of mine has heated gloves they run off a D battery, very warm available at maplins...

i'm emailing the OEMs now to pitch my(macs) idea I will cut you in mac

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Tue 06 Dec 2011, 8:25 pm

super_realist wrote:
Maverick wrote:Apparently the low temperatures cause shafts to erode from the inside - out. So i'm told and as you cannot see internal rust I tend to believe him.

I've had a shaft do just that, snapped on my follow through and club head hit me right on my napper. Hence why I change my clubs fairly regularly.

That is the reason I took what he said as gospel to prevent it happening, so that proves what I was told is true

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 06 Dec 2011, 8:25 pm

McLaren wrote:I also wonder if like rocks over time the metal of the club heads can be damaged and eroded by spending time at different temperatures?

Mac, You'll get more problems from metal fatigue than temperature changes, it takes a lot of heat to change metal structure, however it is quite soft and maleable so you'll get things like worn grooves or changed loft and lies, especially on forged clubs and more on links with firm sandy soil than soft wet parkland. Cast clubs are pretty bulletproof for the stresses golfers are able to put on them.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 06 Dec 2011, 8:29 pm

mav

not so quick

rule 5-2

Foreign material must not be applied to a ball for the purpose of changing its playing characteristics

and this article

http://www.nytimes.com/1990/06/17/sports/l-sportsmanship-and-golf-balls-081590.html
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Tue 06 Dec 2011, 8:38 pm

No rules against a thermal pocket to keep clothing or drinks warm in winter if the player decides to put his balls in that pocket for ease of access then thats his choice Wink

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 06 Dec 2011, 8:40 pm

Maybe, it just doesn't mention the foreign material being in contact at the time of the shot, so I read that as meaning at any time during the round.

Any rules buffs know the answer?

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Tue 06 Dec 2011, 9:32 pm

You aren't allowed to use an artificial device like a ball warmer during the round. It's prohibited under 14.3, just like dmds. However it's ok to warm balls up before you start, and then keep them warm in an insulated pocket or similar.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 06 Dec 2011, 11:11 pm

Maverick wrote:Apparently the low temperatures cause shafts to erode from the inside - out. So i'm told and as you cannot see internal rust I tend to believe him...
Rather than the low temperatures, I would imagine this is more to do with condensation of water vapour onto cold metal (i.e. shafts) if they're stored outside. Not going to rust from the outside in that much if the chrome plate is OK but if water gets on the inside of the shaft, you'll have issues.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus Wed 07 Dec 2011, 8:45 pm

Thanks for the advice, chaps.

I have treated myself to a dozen lovely 50 compression Wilson DX3s, and a pair of extra large y-fronts to keep spare balls in.

Marcus

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Wed 07 Dec 2011, 8:59 pm

Remember to get your winter gloves from American Golf, as long as your hands are warm, you will always be able to feel your cold golf ball

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down