The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

European Tour: Dubai World Championship

+23
gaelgowfer
venice1
Skydriver
NedB-H
navyblueshorts
beninho
19th Hole
Gareth_NI
lorus59
Shotrock
ScottieD18
super_realist
Diggers
JPX
Sand
Mary
Bob_the_Job
Doon the Water
Maverick
McLaren
LadyPutt
kwinigolfer
Davie
27 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

European Tour: Dubai World Championship Empty European Tour: Dubai World Championship

Post by Davie Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:12 pm

We don't seem to have a place to talk about this. I don't have time to write a proper article but I'm sure there will be comments to be made about the tournament.

If anyone does a proper writeup this one can be allowed to die but best to have somewhere to discuss it

Paul Lawrie sets the early pace with a 65
Luke bogies the 1st but birdies the second
Rory birdies the first then doubles the second!

Twitter was already going ballistic about Rory taking an early lead over Luke on just the first hole - but tables quickly turned!

Davie

Back to top Go down

European Tour: Dubai World Championship Empty Re: European Tour: Dubai World Championship

Post by kwinigolfer Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:18 pm

Nice on Davie! Both birdied the 3rd!!
Does anyone know why Yang withdrew?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

European Tour: Dubai World Championship Empty Re: European Tour: Dubai World Championship

Post by Davie Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:22 pm

Not sure about Yang, kwini

Real rollercoaster start for the two big names

Some other names moving along nicely though (Westwood, McDowell of the later starters and Quiros, Rock, Fisher and Colsaerts of the early group)

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:38 pm

3 birdies in 4 holes for Luuuke after his bogey start!

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:50 pm

Glad I didn't pick YE Yang - I did think about it!
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:53 pm

Dont like to complain, but what is mav up to? No euro write up on the most important event of the season.

And kwini, no better!
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:55 pm

Nice one Davie, what with events this week I just didn't have the interest to spend the time doing a weekly update.

Though good news about stage 2 Q school, as 2 pals of mine Benn Barham and Jordan Gibb both successful in their attempts at getting to final stage. Be good to see Ben back on the ET after his cancer scare, and young Jordan is an exciting player.

Yang retired due to flare up of old shoulder injury, shame I like the fella

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:07 pm

McLaren wrote:Dont like to complain, but...

Don't then

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:17 pm

Tidy round by Paul Lawrie.
Do you think the 18th hole reminds him of Carnoustie?

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:24 pm

Can I be the first to say "marathon not a sprint"?

Can I also say this is a pretty exciting way to end the season - I'm liking the little extra frisson of seeing if Luke can hold out or if Rory can pip him? My money is on Luke, and what an achievement this will be for him - what a year.
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:09 pm

Davie

Dont worry they know I am just messing. Although I do hope they are putting pen to paper as we speak.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:17 pm

Hoping for a win for Luke.

Am enjoying the Howeller commentary. Very Happy
Mary
Mary

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:26 pm

Good rounds from Lawrie, didnt think he would be caught but Hanson has. Underated player Hanson.

Good round in progress from Serg too.

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:02 pm

Bob_the_Job wrote:Can I be the first to say "marathon not a sprint"?

What is it they say? You can't win it on the first day but you can certainly lose it.

Clarke is trying his best to lose it. Has he just turned up for his "collect 20k as you pass go" money? He must be waiting for the wind and rain to set in, eh super. Wink

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:12 pm

Big D never was the most consistent and focused of golfers. I wouldn't expect him to feature in Majors or major competitions again for a while, if ever. But he's an Open champion, and no one can take that away from him.

Real snakes and ladders stuff from Luke and Rory though.
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:13 pm

Bad day for Dyson, currently propping up the entire field. I had fancied him as a e/w bet :-(

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:18 pm

I think Mark Roe just had an orgasm when McIlroy went -5!
Mary
Mary

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:20 pm

Is that a guess Mary or is Marks orgasm face one you have seen before ? Wink

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:21 pm

So much for this virus he's supposed to have!

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:23 pm

Diggers wrote:Is that a guess Mary or is Marks orgasm face one you have seen before ? Wink

I doubt even his wife has seen it, he saves it for a glimpse of you know who.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:39 pm

Mary wrote:I think Mark Roe just had an orgasm when McIlroy went -5!

I hate to imagine what he did when he went -6

In fact I've just been sick in my mouth thinking about it.
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:44 pm

super_realist wrote:
Diggers wrote:Is that a guess Mary or is Marks orgasm face one you have seen before ? Wink

Yuk - glad I haven't had my lunch yet - it would have come straight back up! vomit

Great back 9 by Rory, but I'm still hoping for a Luuuuuke victory!
Mary
Mary

Back to top Go down

Post by ScottieD18 Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:14 am

A long, long way to go but looking good for an exciting weekends viewing with a net difference of 9 shots on the back 9 between Coco and Luuke.

ScottieD18

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:26 am

Great to see Rory bringing it on day one. My guess is that he won't pass Luke for the title this tournament, but you are looking at who will become the most dominating European golfer for years to come.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:36 am

Shotrock wrote:Great to see Rory bringing it on day one. My guess is that he won't pass Luke for the title this tournament, but you are looking at who will become the most dominating European golfer for years to come.

I wouldnt write Kaymer off yet, but he has had a very odd year. I felt for sure he'd be contending for majors this year and right at the top of the field for events like this. Mind you I think its safe to say he wont ever be wearing a green jacket.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:41 am

Shotrock wrote:Great to see Rory bringing it on day one. My guess is that he won't pass Luke for the title this tournament, but you are looking at who will become the most dominating European golfer for years to come.

I'm a fan, but he'd need to add consistency, in particular on the greens. If he does, then he could indeed be a dominant force.
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:53 am

Donald could make the mistake of playing for the top 10 and not the win. McIlroy on the other hand can only go for the win. Having said that, considering the field, it's a tough ask.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:23 am

lorus59 wrote:Donald could make the mistake of playing for the top 10 and not the win. McIlroy on the other hand can only go for the win. Having said that, considering the field, it's a tough ask.

Not sure of Donalds mindset but im sure he would be playing to win the tournament rather than top 10. Having said that id still be surprised if he doesnt finish top ten.

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:58 am

super_realist wrote:

He saves it for a glimpse of Voldemort! How strange

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by ScottieD18 Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:00 am

One thing in Rory's favour. Luke recently proved that it's possible to win the last tournament of the year to win the money list. Knowing a difficult takes is possible is half the battle at their level.

Luke must still be favourite but Rory has nothing to lose and everything to gain. If he wins then:
1 - Third tournament win in 2012 (finally proved he himself, his piers, the press and the fans that he has finally learned how to win).
2 - Back to back wins on European Tour (carries huge confidence going into next year).
3 - Closes the gap to Luke in World Rankings.
4 - Puts Luke under pressure to finish in the top 9 or 10 so a good chance of winning the money list.

Having said all that the best outcome for me is Rory to win this week but Luke to get his top 9 or 10 spot and make history by winning both money lists and finishing the year as No. 1 on the world Rankings.

You never know. He may even win the US Tour Player of the Year as well. Whistle

ScottieD18

Back to top Go down

Post by Gareth_NI Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:50 am

A win for Rory would be his 4th of the season, of which 3 would have come in the past 4/5 weeks.

Gareth_NI

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:58 am

Yeah I can't say I'm a massive fan, but if he pulls this one off 2011 will have been one hell of a year for McIlroy.

I wonder if it will put more pressure on him to surpass, or even match, this years achievements in 2012?

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by ScottieD18 Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:59 am

Gareth_NI wrote:A win for Rory would be his 4th of the season, of which 3 would have come in the past 4/5 weeks.

Agreed, but one of the wins was a limited field invitational event not sanctioned by any tour and with no ranking points. However, it just happended to be the biggest check of the year.

ScottieD18

Back to top Go down

Post by ScottieD18 Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:48 pm

Day 2 - Morning Play

Casey needs to remember how to score on Day 1.

Is Luke doing enough to get into the top 10?

ScottieD18

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:04 pm

Looks like Luke is rather losing touch, crucial few holes coming up, played them badly yesterday.

You're right about Casey, but big surprise to me is Kaymer, thought he'd have a top week, but not so far.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:18 pm

Some blasts from the past: Matteo having a super day, and Oosthuizen continuing his fine autumn form.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by ScottieD18 Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:23 pm

Lawrie off to a great start with 2 birdies in the first 2 holes.

We were playing the winter 4s at Deeside a couple of weeks ago on a pretty cold and windy morning. He was practicing hard at the range at 8.30am. Nice to see hard work paying off.

I just hope he can keep it going for 4 days as his tendancy in recent years is to start well and slowly drop back into the pack.

Ramsey shot 3 under 69. Could be a great day for the Aberdeen golfers.

ScottieD18

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:26 pm

Birdie for Donald, hoopefully one more before the clubhouse.
Casey now -7.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:30 pm

Scottie,
What's Lawrie been drinking? Three-shot lead now.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:40 pm

Nice round from Casey, good to see him playing well again, had a torrid year.

Garcia my fancy going along nicely.

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by ScottieD18 Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:45 pm

Kwini,

I saw his interview on sky last night. Apparently he has had injuries through the summer but he is now fit.

When he wins, they are often big events (e.g. Open, Dunhill). If his form holds up I think he knows how to cope with the mental side, but still early days of course.

Interesting to see how Rory reacts. Should he take a few risks to catch-up or trust his normal game over 72 holes?

ScottieD18

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:48 pm

Come on Paul Lawrie 10 under par for 23 holes and no dropped shots.

Can it last?

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:54 pm

Didn't know about the injuries, Scottie, Thanks. (Bjorn also playing nicely considering he almost didn't play and started off so poorly Thursday.)

Rory just needs to play his normal game, surely? Only one player ahead of him and 45+ holes to play. No need to do anything different. Nice comeback by Donald, and Rory can't control what Lukey does.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:06 pm

I cannot get all the information to hand at work so can someone remind me of the permutations.

Does Rory need to win or if Donald has a shocker will a second or third do it for Rory?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:07 pm

McLaren wrote:I cannot get all the information to hand at work so can someone remind me of the permutations.

Does Rory need to win or if Donald has a shocker will a second or third do it for Rory?

Rory has to win, regardless
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:09 pm

"Working from home today"...........and the golfs on, fantastic. Bacon sandwich and a cup of tea.....lovely.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:16 pm

Diggers wrote:"Working from home today"...........and the golfs on, fantastic. Bacon sandwich and a cup of tea.....lovely.

You utter THIS COMMENT WAS SELF MODERATED. I'm really very jealous.

Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:21 pm

That's just plain cruel Diggers! You've also made me feel very hungry aswell as wanting to watch the golf! Crying or Very sad

What are the weather conditions in Dubai today? Any chance Clarke will be climbing the leaderboard in bad weather?

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:25 pm

It was very tasty JPX. Weather looks good, nice and sunny, bit of a breeze but not the howling gale needed to bring DC into the reckoning.
Actually a lovely day down here on the south coast, am tempted to have a quick 9 holes but it is a bit parky.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:37 pm

Lowry's caddy must be holding a bacon roll in front of him on a stick, he's going along very well for a fat man in the heat.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next