The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

European Tour: Dubai World Championship

+23
gaelgowfer
venice1
Skydriver
NedB-H
navyblueshorts
beninho
19th Hole
Gareth_NI
lorus59
Shotrock
ScottieD18
super_realist
Diggers
JPX
Sand
Mary
Bob_the_Job
Doon the Water
Maverick
McLaren
LadyPutt
kwinigolfer
Davie
27 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

European Tour: Dubai World Championship - Page 2 Empty European Tour: Dubai World Championship

Post by Davie Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:12 am

First topic message reminder :

We don't seem to have a place to talk about this. I don't have time to write a proper article but I'm sure there will be comments to be made about the tournament.

If anyone does a proper writeup this one can be allowed to die but best to have somewhere to discuss it

Paul Lawrie sets the early pace with a 65
Luke bogies the 1st but birdies the second
Rory birdies the first then doubles the second!

Twitter was already going ballistic about Rory taking an early lead over Luke on just the first hole - but tables quickly turned!

Davie

Back to top Go down

European Tour: Dubai World Championship - Page 2 Empty Re: European Tour: Dubai World Championship

Post by ScottieD18 Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:48 am

McLaren wrote:I cannot get all the information to hand at work so can someone remind me of the permutations.

Does Rory need to win or if Donald has a shocker will a second or third do it for Rory?

Rory must win to have any chance. If Rory wins then Luke must be finish 9th by himself or better. If he finished equal 9th with one other then one of them wins the money list by 5 Euros (sorry, can't remember which one). Note that tied 8th with a bunch of other is probably not good enough for him.

We could have the situation on Sunday with Luke finished tied 8th with one other, Rory with a big lead and a few holes to play and the money list coming down to how well the others complete their round. Could be that a Casey or a Lawrie deciding the money list on a birdie or bogey at the last hole.

Great finish from Luke with birdies at the last three. Luke currently tied 11th (will probably end up a bit lower at the end of the day) and Rory tied second. Fantastic. Pity I'm stuck at work, but will catch up tonight on skyX6.

ScottieD18

Back to top Go down

European Tour: Dubai World Championship - Page 2 Empty Re: European Tour: Dubai World Championship

Post by JPX Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:55 am

Diggers wrote:It was very tasty JPX. Weather looks good, nice and sunny, bit of a breeze but not the howling gale needed to bring DC into the reckoning.
Actually a lovely day down here on the south coast, am tempted to have a quick 9 holes but it is a bit parky.
Just got myself a sausage sandwich from the greasy spoon, very nice.

Very nice day here too.

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:00 am

Interesting that Lawrie and McIlroy are at the top of the leaderboard. Could two major winners be any more different in so many ways ?

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by 19th Hole Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:04 am

I thought Lawrie played brilliantly yesterday - hope he can keep it up. I was at Carnoustie the year he won it Very Happy

19th Hole

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:07 am

Garcia smacks a 3 wood out of a fairway bunker, fantastic shot. Not sure if I like those woods with the white heads though. Look a bit odd.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:13 am

Is Lawrie a harder worker than some of the others on tour?

I ask as there are several references to it on this thread and once when attending the european tour event at Gleneagles I went to the range after the days play had finished and he was the only guy there. I stayed and watched for about 30 minutes and when I left he was still going.

Also can anyone who has good knowledge of swing mechanics comment ont he quality of his swing?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Gareth_NI Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:16 am

I've witnessed his swing at an exhibition at Rosemount Blairgowrie, he has got the best swing that I have ever seen (including several EPGA/Opens), its smooth/great tempo/pretty flawless in my book.

Last edited by Gareth_NI on Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:20 am; edited 1 time in total

Gareth_NI

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:18 am

McLaren wrote:Is Lawrie a harder worker than some of the others on tour?

I ask as there are several references to it on this thread and once when attending the european tour event at Gleneagles I went to the range after the days play had finished and he was the only guy there. I stayed and watched for about 30 minutes and when I left he was still going.

Also can anyone who has good knowledge of swing mechanics comment ont he quality of his swing?

What was your bird doing at the time? Staring at a picture of a sea otter?, or preparing a multiple choic questionnaire on Doaks top ten courses?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:22 am

Dont think i had met her at the time.

So lawrie has won a major, several tour events and has a good swing. Where did his reputation as an over achiever come from?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:33 am

Quiros hits the front, but McIlroy must be evens or even odds on now?

What an earth is up with Dyson? Never seen him propping up a leaderboard.

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:43 am

I like those white backed clubs, look good. WOuld look rubbish in my hands though!

The course in Dubai with the skyscrapers looks very computer generated.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by ScottieD18 Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:31 pm

I think Lawrie does have a good practise ethic. Remember he came up the same route as Poulter (assistant pro with a 5 handicap) so he's done it the hard way.

He's spilling back today a little which is dissapointing.

ScottieD18

Back to top Go down

Post by ScottieD18 Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:53 pm

Do we think Quiros can hold onto his lead till sunday evening?

Lawrie must have been releived to birdie the last after 3 bogeys and Rory bogeys the last two. These guys are not making many pars this week - either birdies or bogies.

ScottieD18

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:05 pm

It would be a marvellous end to an indifferent nine months for Quiros, but never sure how good a front-runner he is. Take away his -12 and the field is fairly well bunched. Bad for Rory, good for Luke.

Lawrie is still well-placed to have a very good week, but disappointing end to Sergio's round after starting strongly.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:26 pm

Don't think Quiros is a good frontrunner, ideally for him he will fall back tomorrow to 3 or 4 behind. He'll probably shoot a 65 in the final round, if he's leading, it'll more than likely be a 75.

Disappointing indeed from Serg, thought he would really kick on after that start. 8 shots behind now, needs a good one tomorrow.

Still think it's anybodys though.

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:37 pm

Re. Quiros, this from part of the BBC's article:

"Moments earlier, Quiros had fared far better on the 620-yard par-five, with a drive and a three-wood to 12 feet for an eagle three."

Shocked Shocked Easy game!
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:40 pm

Easy game indeed, nbs, that's a bus ride for me. (If we had buses of course!)

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:51 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:Re. Quiros, this from part of the BBC's article:

"Moments earlier, Quiros had fared far better on the 620-yard par-five, with a drive and a three-wood to 12 feet for an eagle three."

Shocked Shocked Easy game!
620 yarder? driver, 3 wood? For Quiros? Must have been into the breeze! Shocked

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:25 pm

Rory suggesting he may w/d from the Thailand event next week.
He got totally knackered two years ago at this time.
Unbelievable he should have fallen into the same trap again.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:04 pm

With the amount of travelling he's done lately I can't say I'm surprised kwini. Nothing short of amazing that he's doing so well this week.

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:21 pm

Why is McIlory trying to play the schedule of a player barely in the top 50. He needs to get used to playing no more than 20-25 times a year like tiger could, while winning 5-10 of them.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:29 pm

I'm looking for the chasing moolah smiley . . . . . . .
Crazy.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:35 pm

Kwini

Surely he is not that hard up? Makes you wonder who he is making the moolah for.

PS

Anyone noticed that the new v4 is more like a right wing love in forum rather than a golf board. Super sent me the link so I had a look, so far they have managed not to mention golf.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:19 am

Can't help but think that McIlroy's schedule problems aren't in terms of quantity, just location. If he played the same number of tournaments he does now, but all in the same place, he'd be fine. Suspect that's why he left the Asia-centric ISM, remains to be seen what improvements the new guys bring.

As for the new forum.... my comments wouldn't be too complimentary, but suspect my whole post would get removed if I aired them!

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:32 am

I'm getting a feeling for Casey to sneak right up on the leaders? No doubt that will be the kiss of death for him! Rolling Eyes
Mary
Mary

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:44 am

What in the name of Sam Hill did Kaymer have for breakfast this morning?

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:20 am

So would people say the R2D is over? Donald now three clear of Mcilroy which is a little meaningless given Rory needs the win and is 8 off the lead.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:25 am

'Morning All,
Fascinating action overnight (wish I could stay awake!).
Although some backmarkers look like they struggled, it seems only Rory among the leaders is treading water - expensive par fives by the look of it? Nice to see Lawrie and Rock hanging in there.

Amazing resilience to see what Donald is doing - minus 9 on his last 19 holes.

Pleased to see the cream that is Kaymer rising towards he top. Lots about potential rivalries with Woods on another thread, and maybe Rory will lead the way, but seems to me Europe continues to be "deeper" than most US observers give it credit for.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:46 am

Morning kwini,

Lots of movement today, all day. Somehow Quiros is -2 for round despite being all over the course and visiting the sand a number of times. Had a long day yesterday following the Lakers non-trade fiasco and woke up before midnight to catch the R2D action.

The lunar eclipse begins in one hour so I'll be shooting video from the apartment rooftop and use it later on at work with obvious time lapse. It's supposed to last 75 minutes or so. Guess I'll catch up on my sleep when I die.

Mac,
Yep. The race is over. Luke is a bad mother ___ (watcho mouth!)

venice1

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:57 am

Luke does seem to have developed a tiger like quality for finishing in the top ten. If only he could develop a tiger like quality of a accumulating W's.

It seems his short game has got to a stage where it is just impossible for him to make more than a couple of bogies a round, most of the time. I see he had a nightmare stretch in round 1.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:08 pm

Is that game over for R2D? I think so. I think Luke still may win this one to be honest.

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:08 pm

Outstanding stuff from Donald and a true gent.
Looks like Quiros has the tournament to lose so Luke looks nailed on to win OOM.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:13 pm

Hi venice,
Didn't realise there was an eclipse this morning Doh but watched an extraordinary orange orb disappearing over the N.Adirondacks as I was coming home.

Very unlucky for Hanson, someone playing with their rake. Can't believe that happens with pro caddies . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:25 pm

Believe the full eclipse can be seen on this side of the States and across the Pacific Rim. Next one is in 2014.

Hanson will feel even worse if he loses by a stroke tomorrow.

Was the orange orb for the 'Cuse Orangemen?

venice1

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:32 pm

Woo hoo ... what a finish by Paul Lawrie. Back in 31 (I think) and finished with an eagle. At -12, he's right in the mix for tomorrow.

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:33 pm

! Difficult to be kind about the 'Cuse right now.

David Stern manipulating freedom of movement by the looks of it. Hope the Union get all over that, take him to court. Big loser is Houston.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:42 pm

I would love to see Lawrie win this, it would finally shut up all those numpty 'Lucky Open Winner' comments.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:50 pm

3-shot swing.
How good can the 2011 edition of Lawrie be?
Does he have to win this to give him a boost in to next year??
Or is he already at an elevated level of form?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:57 pm

Me too Doon BUT ... playing in the final group is not a position he's exactly become accustomed to, is it? I also think Quiros will continue to be a bit nervy in a final group situation. These two could end up cancelling each other out. It's essential they get off to a good start.

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:05 pm

With it being Quiros leading I'd say it was still very, very open. I'd like him to hold on but with his style I guess a 75 is as likely as a 65!

Fantastic effort from Lawrie after what was no doubt a disappointing day yesterday and he's right back in it.

Could be a few watchmakers touting for business come tomorrow afternoon!

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by Caito Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:06 am

Lawrie hits the front, come on chippy!

Caito

Back to top Go down

Post by Caito Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:06 pm

Great finish, well done Quiros but delighted to see Chippie play so well. So much for them both bottling it under pressure two 67s will do nicely.

Well done too to Luke Donald, fantastic achievement to turn it on when it was required on both tours. Let's hope he can take that in to the majors next year but irrespective a worthy no 1.

Last edited by Caito on Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:08 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Typo bloody ipad)

Caito

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:32 pm

Wow,
What a fantastic result. Great to see Quiros win in style - Golf Channel reckon that takes him to the Top 20, must be very, very close. And well on his way to his first Ryder Cup Team I should think.
Was this a fluke finish by Paul Lawrie? Obviously played great this week, but is he going to contend again on the World stage?

Interested to see the full calendar now for next year, if "Dubai" is to be played in November. Not sure what that means in terms of a schedule reshuffle, but surely this week underlines the strength of the European Tour.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:45 pm

Well done Luke. Did what he had to.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:49 pm

Kwini, it underlines that the top two players in the R2D will predominantly ply their trade in the US next year.

So lets look at the more prominent double dippers, as it is the in term.

Luke 1 (from 13 events)
Rory 2
sergio 7 (from 13 events)
gmac 13
Poulter 21
YE Yang 28

DO you know if Kaymer and westwood are taking up pga tour membership next year, cant keep up with who plays where any more.

Anyway my point was that a few of the players boosting the european status my actually be gaining more owgr points on us soil. In turn raising the standard of some european events. I just see the european tour as having a very two tired classification of tournaments. Those events boosted by double dippers and those events not.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:56 pm

Mac,
I think you're right.
Kaymer will NOT take PGA Tour membership, but Westwood definitely will.
Personally, I doubt it makes much difference, given Westwood's sparse attendance in Europe this year.
Then there's Paul Casey, and he certainly doesn't have full PGA Tour membership so is somewhat obliged to play European Tour events. Not sure about Justin Rose who has played poorly in his forays into Europe recently but will be anxious to play Ryder Cup.
I'd say the Emirates swing will be very strong, then a big lull until Wentworth, spotty until the Scottish and Lytham, then a strong end. A bit like most years.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:04 pm

To illustrate the point further I believe, although could be wrong, that the only full time european tour player in the top 30 of the OWGR's are Kaymer, westwood and McIlroy.

If you then extend it to the top 50 you can include; Dyson, Andres Hansen, Bjorn, F molinari, the mechanic, clarke and Hanson.

A few of them in the twilight of their careers and potentially facing a sharp plunge at any point. So european players are strong but whether the tour really is I am not sure.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Gareth_NI Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:19 pm

Great week for Donald and Quiros, can't think of a happier guy on tour, always seems to have a smile on his face. Really good to see Lawrie up there too.

Gareth_NI

Back to top Go down

Post by ESMD Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:38 pm

Fantastic pair of bogey free 66s on the weekend from Luke after Rory had applied the pressure over the first two days. A truly magnificent achievement to win the lists on both sides of the pond. Also great to see Quiros win in style. I really think he would be a great asset to the Ryder Cup side if he were to qualify. So much energy out on the golf course and it's great to watch!

ESMD

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:56 pm

Mac,
You can add Quiros now!
I think there'll be a never ending cycle, don't you, young Europeans making their mark in Europe and the World Rankings and then being seduced by the PGA Tour?
For some, it'll be a full-time migration, for others it'll be a flirtation and they'll be back, as was the case with Clarke, Hansen and Jimenez among others.

Agree with ESMD, Nothing like the pure joy on Alvaro's face. Fantastic! Nothing "in your face" about his reaction. Thank goodness.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next