The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Q&A with 'Special K' Kell Brook

+11
Rowley
Adam D
jimdig
ShahenshahG
superflyweight
John Bloody Wayne
Waingro
paperbag_puncher
AlexHuckerby
coxy0001
Fists of Fury
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Q&A with 'Special K' Kell Brook Empty Q&A with 'Special K' Kell Brook

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 08 Dec 2011, 10:51 pm

Evening gents

Today I had the pleasure of speaking with Matchroom Sports fighter and world top ten ranked welterweight Kell Brook.

Spoiler:

Boasting a perfect professional record of 25(17)-0-0 Sheffield's Brook is a former British welterweight champion, former WBO Inter-Continental welterweight champion and the reigning WBA Inter-Continental champion. Due to fight in the United States for the first time against Luis Galarza on Saturday 17th December, Brook is all set for a huge 2012 with a very real possibility of fighting for a world title. Kell fights on the undercard of the Carl Froch vs Andre Ward Super Six final on what is sure to be a cracking night of boxing, and you'll see Kell's thoughts on his opponent in this interview below.

Many thanks to Kell for agreeing to speak with us, he is a top bloke with genuine ambitions to be the very best, and likewise many thanks to the staff at Matchroom Sports that helped arranged it.

We wish him all the best in his upcoming fight and his career going forward.

606v2: As you are now in the top ten of your division - What's your ideal opponent list over the next year or so?

KB: I'm just looking to fight anyone that is above me in the rankings or that has a belt, and whoever the public think I should be fighting, that is who I'm after.

606v2: There’s been a lot of talk about a fight between you and Amir Khan, with Khan using it as a ‘settling in’ fight at welterweight. How would you see a fight between the two of you going, and do you think it is dangerous of Khan to view you as a stepping stone?

KB: A very dangerous view, I know I've got his number, and when he moves up to my division and when our paths cross I'll destroy him. He is very silly to be looking at it as a stepping stone to any Mayweather fight, it'd be a Brook win and by KO.

606v2: Realistically, you’re never going to get an opportunity to fight against the two current top welterweights in Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr, but do you now feel that you’re at the level of the other contenders and champions in that division i.e. Berto and Senchenko?

KB: Yeah, Eddie has moved me along nicely and I've now dealt with fighters that have mixed with world class opponents. I've boxed regularly and I'm right where I need to be at this moment in time ahead of a world title challenge.

606v2: Do you feel that you have faced a wide enough variety of fighters to prepare you for all styles at world level, or is there anything you’re looking to gain more experience of before stepping up?

KB: I've boxed against all kinds of styles, so I'm confident that I won't struggle with any in particular. In the Wincobank gym there is pretty much every style there is, anyway, so I get plenty of practice. Either way, I feel confident that I can deal with any style once I get in to the ring, even if they've sprung a bit of a surprise. I can adapt to any style.

606v2: Who did you idolise as a youngster, or who was it that got you interested in boxing?

KB: It was actually Bruce Lee that got me interested in boxing, and Jean-Claude Van Damme, I was well into the old karate films! When I started boxing it was the likes of Naz, Eubank, Benn and Bruno. Those guys were on TV as I was growing up and that’s who I tried to emulate.

606v2: Your next fight will be your first in America. Do you think you'll need to fight across the pond on a regular basis, much like Hatton, Lewis etc, in order to secure the kind of legacy you want? Does fighting abroad make you feel any more nervous?

KB: Yeah, eventually I'll need to fight there more often. The USA is a much wider audience that love their boxing and they really get behind the boxing over there. If you're going to make it you're going to need to box out there regularly, and mix it with the big boys over there.

For this fight I am slightly more nervous, the travelling to a different country is all new to me but I will adjust to it and be ok when I’m in the ring. I'm very excited about this fight and I will be a little more nervous as I've never boxed away from home before, but this is something I've got to do to increase my fan base and my name. I don’t want to tell my grand-kids that I didn’t fight the very best of my era. I just want to fight whoever the public see as the best.

606v2: Welterweight is possibly the most talent-stacked division ever. Are there any particular welterweights from years gone by that you'd have loved to fight and test yourself against?

KB: I'd love to see how I would have got on against Sugar Ray Leonard, Roberto Duran and Tommy 'Hitman' Hearns in my prime, and see how I compare to them.

606v2: Kell, the breakdown between you and Warren - what really happened, and who is to blame? We've had his side, what's yours? Also, the Matchroom stable seems to be increasing at a rapid rate. How does the Hearn experience compare to the Warren one?

KB: I don’t want go into it too much but he couldn’t come up with the goods that were in the contract. In the interests of my progression I felt I needed to move on.

In terms of how Matchroom compares to my last stable there is a much better atmosphere and we get to go to bigger events. Eddie Hearn sees me a lot, we all meet up and have a laugh, and then get down to business come fight time. Matchroom is more fun and family like, I can phone up Eddie or any one of the other fighters in the stable any time and talk about anything and everything, not just boxing.

606v2: How are you finding weight-making? You're a fairly heavily-muscled welterweight, do you think your frame could carry weight just as effectively at light-middleweight? Or do you see yourself staying at 147 lb for all of / most of your career?

KB: I can definitely see myself moving up at some point. I have no problem making welterweight at all but could quite easily move up to light-middlweight, middleweight or even super-middleweight in the future. I want to win world titles at this weight and dominate the division before stepping up, though.

606v2: Is it true that you all used to practice the flip over the ropes that Naseem Hamed made so famous at Ingle’s gym? Do you see much of Naz these days?

KB: I used to walk the length of the gym on my hands, doing flips and other acrobatic stuff that Brendan got us to do. I was one of a few who could do the flip over the rope. I had the flip better than Naz, or at least as good as him, I reckon! I did it daily! I never thought of doing it in ring as that’s just not me, I don’t want to mimic or copy Naz. I don’t see Naz as much these days as he's in London, but I bump into him occasionally.

606v2: How much do you know about your upcoming opponent, Luis Galarza? What do you expect to see from him that you maybe haven’t seen before?

KB: I can see him being aggressive, he will be expecting me to come over to the USA and be nervous, and will want to show he's the boss over there. Hes a hot headed Puerto Rican that can punish me and is dangerous. I'm going for a war, and I want to impress. I'm not taking a backward step, so it's going to be very exciting.

606v2: What do you feel are your key strengths as a boxer?

KB: I'd say my main asset is my jab, which is what I think is needed to be a top boxer. The power is there, reflexes are there, I'd say I'm not bad overall but I never stop learning and always try and sharpen up my tools each time I'm in the gym.

606v2: What frustrates you most about boxing?

KB: Politics – some 'world champions' won't ever let anyone in, and it destroys boxing.

606v2: What is the hardest part about being a boxer?

KB: The sacrifices of not eating what you want to and not being able to be out late because you need to be getting rest. To be the best you have to put all those things aside and stay disciplined.

606v2: Are there any unorthodox training techniques that you use?

KB: The Wincobank gym is an unorthodox gym in general. The likes of Herol Graham, Johnny Nelson and Naz are the school of that gym. It is a switch hitting gym, and most of its fighters can naturally throw shots from both stances, so training there has always been unorthodox.

606v2: What do you think is required in order to improve the popularity of boxing, and bring it back to a wider audience?

KB: That’s a good one. I don’t really know – the best fights happening, champions fighting all comers. I think boxing needs to capture the public's imagination with the good guy/bad guy roles that get people interested. Subscription channels don't help, either.

606v2: Who is your favourite fighter currently active?

KB: Mayweather – he can fight, has charisma, has arrogance, he is just the full package. Hardcore boxing fans all watch his every move, he's the main man.

606v2: What do you enjoy doing outside of boxing?

KB: I just enjoy doing normal things. Going out and having nice meals, going to the cinema and going on nice holidays.

606v2: If you had one piece of advice for a youngster aspiring to be a boxer, what would it be?

KB: Eat disciplined, listen whilst in the gym, and absorb everything you’ve been taught. Always give 100% effort and be focussed upon where you want to go. Make sure you train hard so that the fights are easy. Study the game and don’t cut corners. [606v2: At this point, Kell laughs at this author as he tells him that he finds one round of sparring to be the most difficult thing in the world - seems I won't be getting signed for Matchroom just yet!]

606v2: And finally, to end on a light note, if there was one celebrity you could land a free punch on, who would it be?

KB: Floyd Mayweather!! You've got a license to print your own money if you take him out!!

606v2: Ha! Thanks very much for taking part in this Q&A Kell, and all the best for your upcoming fight.

KB: Thanks very much.

Last edited by Fists of Fury on Wed 21 Dec 2011, 3:56 pm; edited 2 times in total

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Q&A with 'Special K' Kell Brook Empty Re: Q&A with 'Special K' Kell Brook

Post by coxy0001 Thu 08 Dec 2011, 10:56 pm

Actually comes across quite a decent guy! Has certainly gone up in my estimations

"Subscription channels don't help, either."

Brilliant, nothing like a good old fashioned dig!

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 08 Dec 2011, 10:58 pm

He seems a great guy Coxy, none of the bluster or nonsense but an obvious desire to be the best he can and leave as good a legacy as he can.

Hopefully he can go all the way, I certainly enjoy watching him box, very polished skills.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 08 Dec 2011, 11:08 pm

Seems a good bloke to be honest.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 08 Dec 2011, 11:15 pm

Can't wait to see him in with the likes of (hopefully) Mike Jones and Berto/Ortiz next year. I think he has the ability to beat all three of them.

One thing we do know is that Matchroom aren't afraid to match their fighters tough, so he certainly won't be ushered away from those type of fights.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Thu 08 Dec 2011, 11:47 pm

Sounds like a sound, level headed bloke. Really want him to step up in class though. He looks the business but we'll never know until he has that acid test. Loser of Ortiz Berto would be a good place to start and a very hard night's work.

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 08 Dec 2011, 11:58 pm

Get a feeling he would deal with Berto quite easily to be honest. Ortiz might be difficult in the beginning but feel that he would be able to slow him down with the jab and then pick him off towards the end. Mike Jones is a difficult one, a slightly more unknown quantity, feel that it's nowhere near impossible to outbox the guy but one thing for sure is that he's HUGE for the weight and hits pretty damn hard too, you never truly know but think Kell beats all 3. Gives us something to cheer about.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 09 Dec 2011, 12:05 am

I'd back him against all three, too, but feel they'd be very close and very tough. Great preparation for ruling the roost at the weight, anyway. Imagine if he had those 3 on his record by the end of 2012?! We can only hope!

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 09 Dec 2011, 12:13 am

It would be a dream, but I would guess only a dream, if Berto loses the rematch then there's a decent chance that fight with Berto may happen, Mike Jones will probably not end up fighting him next year and Ortiz is a bit of an unknown one, if he loses to Berto then I sppose there's a chance of that happening as well. Would like to see Kell dispose of Senchenko to get an easy belt then those guys will hopefully look at him.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 09 Dec 2011, 12:14 am

Yeah that's probably the best way of going about it financially, too.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Fri 09 Dec 2011, 12:29 am

Wouldn't have the same confidence as you two about him beating all 3 at the moment. Just haven't seen him in with that level yet and would have my doubts until I do. If he did negotiate his way through them 3 fights successfully he'd be a bit special alright.

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by Waingro Fri 09 Dec 2011, 1:06 am

Do you think Khan wll duck you and how much would you like to fight Khan?

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Fri 09 Dec 2011, 2:24 am

Waingro wrote:Do you think Khan wll duck you and how much would you like to fight Khan?

Bit late there Waingro..

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 09 Dec 2011, 9:37 am

Yeah these are the answers, Waingro.

What do you guys think about Kell's comments regarding Khan? Does anyone agree with Brook?

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 09 Dec 2011, 10:45 am

No worries, Alma.

The whole interview was very honest, he didn't make any outrageous claims or any statements that he didn't intend to back up - in fact, saying he destroys Khan by KO is probably the most brash thing he said, and you'd have to expect him to say that!

He has his head screwed on right, so it wouldn't surprise me to see big things from him.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 09 Dec 2011, 11:18 am

That's the beauty of these interviews that we get. Not only is it great for us as fans to ask fighters our questions, but it definitely boosts their own popularity amongst us, I'd say.

For example, who would have known what a top, top bloke Sergio Martinez was before we spoke with him? Likewise Frampton, Bellew, Guerrero etc.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Fri 09 Dec 2011, 12:19 pm

No mention of Paulie?
LOL

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 09 Dec 2011, 12:32 pm

Ha, Paulie is just mad!

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 09 Dec 2011, 12:36 pm

Was a bit disappointed with Paulies Q&A to be honest, didn't seem to put the real effort in the answers to be honest.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 09 Dec 2011, 12:37 pm

Yeah it was pretty poor considering the controversial character he likes to make himself out to be!

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri 09 Dec 2011, 12:56 pm

Good stuff, Fists. A little surprised to see Kell coming across so well. I remember reading an interview with De Gale a little while back and he was nowhere near the bell-end he can often come across. It's always refreshing to see boxers be a little more circumspect when away from the bluster of promoting a fight.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri 09 Dec 2011, 6:53 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:Was a bit disappointed with Paulies Q&A to be honest, didn't seem to put the real effort in the answers to be honest.

:laugh poor pualie was reminded about his lack of KO power in every other question - any surprise he didn't bother putting in the effort?

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Sat 10 Dec 2011, 11:37 pm

Fists your a star, Kell comes across as a good guy. Can't see him fighting at super middle though. Hope he gets the step up in fights he's looking for, he has serious skills, the shefield firm have an unbelivable ability to turn out fighters that break the whole european stand up fighter, jab, straight right fighter.
Ingle fighters make britain stand outside of the european fighter sterotype, and Kell is the latest to break the mould. I wish the kid well, I hope he's the one to take up the mantle left down by Naz and be truely world dominant, As much as I respect Hearns, if Kell really can shine, a trip to the goldenboy office on his trip to the states could serve him well, I fear without an american promotor the bigger fights at 147, might pass his prime by.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Sun 11 Dec 2011, 3:03 pm

I'd give Hearn a chance, jimdig, really think he is a top promoter and goes the extra mile to get the big fights secured, regardless of risk. If Kell keeps performing then Hearn will get him the fights, I'm confident of that.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 12 Dec 2011, 11:22 am

Apparently if Brook gets through this then Hearn has a fight laid out for him in March for a world title... supposedly.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 13 Dec 2011, 7:59 am

AlexHuckerby wrote:Was a bit disappointed with Paulies Q&A to be honest, didn't seem to put the real effort in the answers to be honest.

You got to remember guys that these boxers do this for free. Even a poor Q&A is still a good read and can be dissected.

Having said that - I thought this one was great! Well done Fists (I have only just read this!)

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 18 Dec 2011, 11:47 pm

Well he looked extremely good last night, again. Though the opponent wasn't great, but the Americans will surely like him.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 19 Dec 2011, 9:39 am

I thought he was tremendous.

Razor sharp jabs, excellent foot, upper body and head movement, and his reflexes were spot on, as was his timing.

His opponent was game, and was certainly no slouch, but I thought Brook was terrific and was a clear cut above. Big things for Kell in 2012, he is more than ready to go and knock the likes of Berto and Ortiz off their perch.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 19 Dec 2011, 9:43 am

Yeah Berto/Ortiz 2 is scheduled for Feb 11th and that isn't for a world title, so if Brook does manage to get a title off of the likes of Senchenko fight for the Vacant IBF then (i think he may struggle a tad with the WBC and WBO at this moment in time) the winner or maybe loser of that will come knocking for a title.

Personally although he hasn't been in that deep before I think he deals with them both quite handily. If he took one of them out America really would stand up and look at him properly.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 19 Dec 2011, 9:47 am

Ha yeah I'd avoid the WBC and WBO at the moment...although I think those two champions might 'duck' him Very Happy

Yeah a convincing win against one of those two really would announce his arrival at world level. I'd love to see him in with Senchenko around March time, and then have a further 2 fights before 2012 ends against top notch opponents.

Brook has all the attributes to clean up at welterweight after the retirement of the two legends, so he needs to stay active and really stamp his mark on the division. Excellent performance, and he has a style that is very easy on the eye.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 19 Dec 2011, 10:03 am

Yeah and I think that's important in this day and age to have a style thats good to watch. He's a tad Floyd Mayweatherish with a bit more of a Naz style aggression, if that makes any sense at all. We have seen with the likes of Olympic Gold Medal winner Andre Ward that an eye ctaching style can get you more exposed or at least a controversial personality, ward has neither and is therefore not exposed that well to the public as fantastic he is a boxer.

Relly want Kell to do well, us Yorkshire folk need something to get us out of the bed in the morning.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 19 Dec 2011, 10:23 am

Yeah I get your meaning with regard to his style. He has that all important knack of knowing when his opponent is going to throw, and equally importantly has the reflexes that allow him to just pull his head back out of the way, and then the speed to return with a sharp counter and make his opponent pay.

I like his aggression, he doesn't just pose after making his opponent miss, but fires back with a couple of hurtful shots.

Kell excites me most out of all of the British fighters at the moment, I think he really does look the business. In great shape, supremely fit, fast, powerful and has a great style, so everything is in place for him to make that step up to the very top level. Massively looking forward to him being in a big, big fight in 2012 and would love it if he could put UK boxing right back on the map.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 19 Dec 2011, 11:04 am

Hard to disagree with anything that has been said, since joining Matchroom is hard to fault anything he has done, got through his US debut barely taking a punch, did 12 rounds at a fair clip against N'Dou and beat the other guy whose name escapes me out of sight, early stoppage aside.

Is an odd division welter because in reality he is not going to get either Manny or Floyd and the likes of Berto and Ortiz will not want a guy like Brook for as long as they think they can get one of the big two so Senchenko does seem the most likely and would have to say he is eminently beatable. Should be a big year for Kell as he is good to watch and has that element of cockiness that love it or hate is should connect with folk.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 19 Dec 2011, 11:17 am

I think what I like about that level of cockiness and air of confidence that he excudes, Jeff, is that it is clear from this Q&A and speaking to him that his head is in the right place, i.e. he isn't getting carried away by his own hype and knows that he needs to take the big fights that the fans want to see if he is to forge the kind of legacy that will see him remembered as a top fighter of his time.

Things can obviously change, as we found out with Naz, who had a fantastic work ethic until he fell in love with his own hype and power, but it is refreshing to see Brook very honest in his self-appraisal from the outset.

Senchenko does seem the sensible option now, and I'd like to see that as his first fight in 2012 if possible. Not only does it give him bargaining power with the likes of Berto and Ortiz, but more importantly it provides him with the next step up in class and will ready Kell for the other guys in that division.

I don't want to get carried away, but I do think Kell is looking increasingly like he is going to be the real deal.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachine Mon 19 Dec 2011, 5:16 pm

Its nice watching him develop. I've spoken to Kell a good few times and he's a very likeable guy - I'm on a shortlist for sparring partners for him!

I like the fact that his promotors are working him through this whole process slowly - he has been a top 10 welterweight for a while now, yet no real title match has been set before him, thats waiting until he's ready. From what I gathered last time we spoke back in April is that he wants to be seen to earn his way to the top, rather than have it catapulted upon him. Not sure if he's now considering a title, which given his performance - he has a case for.

I'd like him to take 2/3 more rated fighters before a title shot, he'd be nigh on impossible to ignore then.

JabMachine

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 19 Dec 2011, 8:38 pm

He said after his fight at the weekend that a world title shot will come when the time is right, and whenever Matchroom think he's ready. He said he personally doesn't mind when the title shot comes, there is no rush, and that he is happy as long as he is beating the fighters the public want him to fight.

I think they're going about it the right way to ensure that Kell truly is ready when he goes for that title shot. Hearn has promised a title tilt at some point in 2012, but it's likely to be toward the back end.

I wish other inexperienced fighters followed a similar path. I rate Nathan Cleverly but he isn't ready for the cream of the crop at world level, not by a long way, but he's backed himself into a corner now. I think he would have been much better off fighting more ranked contenders for a year or so. Then again, the top guys aside lhw is a relatively weak division.

You're on the short list to spar Kell? After watching him Saturday I wouldn't want to do that haha. Do you fight professional yourself, then?

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 20 Dec 2011, 8:54 am

Think I'd get one of Manny Pacqiaou's mysterious leg cramps the day me and Kell would have to spar...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachine Tue 20 Dec 2011, 8:59 am

Not full pro, no - I've had quite a few amateur fights and starting to gather speed now but probably not gonna make it big, I lack that commitment

JabMachine

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 20 Dec 2011, 9:18 am

You must be mad, if you have the talent get the commitment!! An opportunity not many get!

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 20 Dec 2011, 9:23 am

Don't know if I could stay committed, it's an entire lifestyle choice and it's hard.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 20 Dec 2011, 9:26 am

If I knew I was good and had a chance of making a good living out of it I'd be massively committed.

So, do you reckon you could hold you own with Kell??

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachine Tue 20 Dec 2011, 10:09 am

After watching him on Saturday night, I'm worried!

I've had a few rounds with Matthew Hatton and to be honest, they had to tell me to slow down (it wasn't a 10 round session yet they wanted to treat it as such)

I'm similar to Galarza except I'm much more accurate. I'm hoping that it was just bravado that meant Galarza forgot to use his range more effectively and its not Kells defense that forced the lunges. If I do end up sparring with him, I'm sure I've got a few tricks up my sleeve such as switch hitting and a jab that he'll have to force an inside game to avoid.

My trainer is quite excited about my prospect but the thing is as Alex rightly says its a massive lifestyle change, I'd have to go part time with my job, and I have a 5 year old daughter and a house to maintain, food to put on the table etc - I can't put anything at risk right now, I'd have to have some guarantees, and in boxing there are none. Especially when i get to say, 35 - 40 and have to retire, unless I've made very clever investments, I'm essentially trading in my comfortable life for a speculative career that may never earn me enough money to sustain me in the future, and then if I'm forced to start again in later life, I've wasted time.

Plus the fact that I'd probably get my head beaten off by Kell!

JabMachine

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 20 Dec 2011, 10:49 am

Worryingly for you, I think it may have been Kell's trickery and defence causing that. Kell's judgement of range was masterful, I thought, always just leaning/stepping back an inch further than Galarza could land, and then being sharp enough to fire back with a hurtful counter or two.

I see what you're saying, and it is a difficult one, isn't it? As you say, the world of boxing is a volatile one, and whilst the rewards are rich for the very best, there are 100's who get little to nothing out of it. It's almost the kind of sport that you'd be best served having a crack at whilst being single and living with the parents still!

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 20 Dec 2011, 10:53 am

Fists of Fury wrote:Worryingly for you, I think it may have been Kell's trickery and defence causing that. Kell's judgement of range was masterful, I thought, always just leaning/stepping back an inch further than Galarza could land, and then being sharp enough to fire back with a hurtful counter or two.

I see what you're saying, and it is a difficult one, isn't it? As you say, the world of boxing is a volatile one, and whilst the rewards are rich for the very best, there are 100's who get little to nothing out of it. It's almost the kind of sport that you'd be best served having a crack at whilst being single and living with the parents still!

Put me in, Coach.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachine Tue 20 Dec 2011, 11:47 am

I agree Fists, its a shame really, but there's never going to be any model to give any form of security to up and coming boxers - its the big leagues or nothing - in comparison to say, football - the lower leagues get paid less but its still an amount that is reasonable, and you still have the option of a part time job while maintaining a pretty normal lifestyle.

I'm just having fun while I can, and if that means I get to spar with future champions then thats at least something I can brag about to my grandchildren.

Shame that the ship has sailed considering I'm only 26!

JabMachine

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Tue 20 Dec 2011, 9:33 pm

Oh, are comments contrary to the author's being deleted now?

Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by trottb Wed 21 Dec 2011, 8:29 am

AlexHuckerby wrote:
Fists of Fury wrote:Worryingly for you, I think it may have been Kell's trickery and defence causing that. Kell's judgement of range was masterful, I thought, always just leaning/stepping back an inch further than Galarza could land, and then being sharp enough to fire back with a hurtful counter or two.

Put me in, Coach.

If that's the criteria then I'd imagine you'll be eligibile for at least another 20 years Alex, that goes for Coxy as well.

trottb

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 21 Dec 2011, 8:53 am

Laugh OK

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 21 Dec 2011, 9:17 am

Bob wrote:Oh, are comments contrary to the author's being deleted now?

No, your foul and abusive language is contrary to the house rules.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 21 Dec 2011, 9:42 am

If it's Bob wanting to talk about Kell Brook it's only going to get told one way Fists!!

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next