The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales Squad for the Six Nations

+12
gowales
Gatts
Turkster
Seagultaf
gavstar
Smirnoffpriest
RuckingFlanker86
munkian
wales606
maestegmafia
bedfordwelsh
TycroesOsprey
16 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Wales Squad for the Six Nations - Page 2 Empty Wales Squad for the Six Nations

Post by TycroesOsprey Fri 09 Dec 2011, 12:13 am

First topic message reminder :

With the xmas derbies around the corner for the regions, there are a few players who may still put their hands up for selection like Webb or are coming back from injury like Stoddart. However I think the squad for the six nations is starting to look pretty easy to select barring injuries. Some of the exiles will be back but there will be no room for Powell, Byrne or Wellies.

Props

Adam Jones, Mitchell, Gethin, Paul James,

Hookers,

Smiler, Hibbard, Burns

Second Row

I Evans, Bradley, Ryan

Back Row

Faletau Warburton, Lydiate, Tipuric, Lewis Evans,

Scrum Halfs

Phillips, L Williams, Webb

OUtside Half

Priestland, Hook, Biggar(should be Tovey)

Centres,

Roberts, JD, Scott williams, Henson

Wings,

North, Brew, Cuthbert,

FullBack

Halfpenny and Byrne

Last edited by TycroesOsprey on Wed 11 Jan 2012, 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : changes due to injury and form since first published)

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Wales Squad for the Six Nations - Page 2 Empty Re: Wales Squad for the Six Nations

Post by maestegmafia Fri 06 Jan 2012, 6:04 pm

Charteris is still a Dragon and the more this debate is raised the more i agree with Charteris point that the regions are wasting their money on NWQ players when they could be investing in Welsh Talent.

The money buying a waste of bench space like Bedford could have been put towards securing Mitchell's signature...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Wales Squad for the Six Nations - Page 2 Empty Re: Wales Squad for the Six Nations

Post by gowales Fri 06 Jan 2012, 7:30 pm

I doubt Mitchell went for money seeing as he signed for Exeter. Seems like he wants regular game time. And playing in a tough league like the aviva will definitely improve his scrummaging.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 06 Jan 2012, 9:18 pm

It would just have been great for him to have held out for a French contract do he could still be an international.

The PRL will refuse him access even if he is granted by the chiefs.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Fri 06 Jan 2012, 11:59 pm

well played to the dragons tonight, a great game with a great atmosphere even if we lost. Faletau was immense and Tovey has to be in the welsh squad if his knee holds up, first time he has convinced me today. Ospreys still should have stolen it at the end though.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Sat 07 Jan 2012, 12:27 am

is kicking is still nowhere near his best but he is getting better and closer to his form from last year and the year before - just a shame how many injuries he picks up

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Sat 07 Jan 2012, 1:57 am

Biggar would fit in well with Wales...missing vital points at key moments

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Sat 07 Jan 2012, 7:07 am

Id actually prefer Martyn Thomas than Tovey at the moment. squad announced Tuesday ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 07 Jan 2012, 9:05 am

I think Tovey had a great game, though this knee injury of his looks very worrying, he was in a lot of pain last night.

Martyn Thomas, Aled Brew, Lewis Evans, Adam Jones and Steve Jones all did themselves a credit for inclusion in the National Squad.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 07 Jan 2012, 9:22 am

Maes,

I thought Tovey was bit hit n miss tonight but agree (S Jones aside) that he and the rest should be in with shout of a training place at least.

Can't see S Jones getting a call as he is behind Burns in our pecking order and then we have Rees Bennett Hibbard and Owens all ahead of him in Welsh Squad I would guess.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 07 Jan 2012, 9:28 am

I cant see Steve Jones getting a call, but he played really well, considering the last minute swap for Burns who has the flu...

I thought Tovey wasnt at his best but he still made a lot of the right decisions. I do worry that Wayne Evans is a bit off form though. He has played much better rugby than he is at the moment. Shame that you only have that useless third rate player Bedford as back up... Compete waste of Dragons money. Very sad to see him taking the spot of a possible Welsh youngster or contender.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 07 Jan 2012, 9:38 am

Evans is having a very poor run at the moment, considering he was knocking on a Squad place season or so back.

Agree on Bedford and hopefully we can bring a youngster through sooner rather than later to allow Bedford to move on.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 07 Jan 2012, 10:11 am

How long is it until you get John Evans back, the young Under 20s scrum half...? He looked good.

Miss management having Liam Davies off to the Scarlets who have three decent scrum halves. He would have been better at the Dragons.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 08 Jan 2012, 10:19 am

When does he announce the training squad, is it today or tomorrow?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 08 Jan 2012, 10:23 am

I am not sure but I would prefer it announced after another round of HEC.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 08 Jan 2012, 10:27 am

Tht would seem sensible maes but other than injuries would one more week make a lot of difference, I think the main bulk of squad is pretty settled its just the additional ones he will add before cutting it back down to his usual 28 man squad.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 08 Jan 2012, 5:43 pm

The interesting selections will be backrow, third scrum half and Lock. I think there is a worthwhile argument for spending another week looking at the contenders in pressure matches in the HEC or Amlin.

Just watching Perpignan and Racing play. James Hook looks very good at 10 tonight.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Sun 08 Jan 2012, 7:17 pm

maestegmafia wrote:The interesting selections will be backrow, third scrum half and Lock. I think there is a worthwhile argument for spending another week looking at the contenders in pressure matches in the HEC or Amlin.

Just watching Perpignan and Racing play. James Hook looks very good at 10 tonight.

If Hook is so good, why can't Perpignan with their huge budget and galaxy of stars win a game? They are pants this season, just like Wales and Ospreys were pants with Hook at 10.

I would not consider Hook for this years 6N squad. If at the end of the season he has had a successful season at Perpignan and they are winning games, then consider him for the Summer tour. Players must be selected on ability and form not past reputations.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Sun 08 Jan 2012, 7:27 pm

Seagultaf wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:The interesting selections will be backrow, third scrum half and Lock. I think there is a worthwhile argument for spending another week looking at the contenders in pressure matches in the HEC or Amlin.

If Hook is so good, why can't Perpignan with their huge budget and galaxy of stars win a game? They are pants this season, just like Wales and Ospreys were pants with Hook at 10.

I would not consider Hook for this years 6N squad. If at the end of the season he has had a successful season at Perpignan and they are winning games, then consider him for the Summer tour. Players must be selected on ability and form not past reputations.

What an ignorant post. Its a good thing you're not the Welsh coach, because by your logic Lydiate and Faletau shouldn't be in the Welsh team. Galaxy of stars? If you look at their forward pack the only 'star' is Mas, the rest are solid club players. In the backs they've got Hook, Mermoz, Marty and Porical the latter two are pretty average internationals. But that is usually why they were so good in the past. Maybe watch a game next time and you'll see that Hook is trying pretty damn hard to get something going.
I watched the game and Hook looked sharp. The problem is the players outside him. Whenever he passes it out to them they knock it on or mess it up in some way. He, Mermoz and a few of the forwards are the only players who are actually trying the rest just seem like the they don't care.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Sun 08 Jan 2012, 7:31 pm

Oh and also they were pants during the world cup so don't go on blaming it on him. The only times they've looked good this season apart from the Dragons granted is when they've had Hook playing.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 08 Jan 2012, 7:53 pm

Perps may have a big budget but hook is one of very few "Stars" at the club. They are a good team trying to play exciting rugby, Hook looks very much at the center of that. Unfortunate to come away with a draw today against Racing Metro... A second half try by Metros young fullback at the expense of poor defending by the Perps winger was the fault.

Hook had a good game... would have had a chance at winning the game with a drop goal if his forwards had not coughed up possession under the opposition posts...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Tue 10 Jan 2012, 2:56 pm

I just have a felling he wout get picked Maes. I think Gatts is going to make an example of him to try and ensure other players considering exile get the clause in their contracts to free them for Welsh training sessions.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 10 Jan 2012, 3:47 pm

It will be a 30 man squad. In brackets are the call ups to cover injuries:

Props
Adam Jones, Rhys Rollerskates Thomas, Gethin, Bevington, (with Duncan Jones and Mitchell as back up to cover any injuries)

Hookers,
Smiler, Burns, Bennett (Owens)

Second Row
AWJ, I Evans, Bradley (Adam Jones and Lou Reed)

Back Row
Faletau, Warburton, Lydiate, Tipuric, Ryan Jones, Turnbull (Evans and Coombs)

Scrum Halfs
Phillips, L Williams, Webb (Evans, Davies)

Outside Half
Priestland, Biggar (Tovey, Hook)

Centres,
Roberts, JD, Scott Williams, Beck (Henson, Smith)

Wings,
North, Brew, Halfpenny (Mustoe)

FullBack
Thomas and Liam Williams (Fussell)
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue 10 Jan 2012, 4:45 pm

Glas a du wrote:It will be a 30 man squad. In brackets are the call ups to cover injuries:

Props
Adam Jones, Rhys Rollerskates Thomas, Gethin, Bevington, (with Duncan Jones and Mitchell as back up to cover any injuries)

Hookers,
Smiler, Burns, Bennett (Owens)

Second Row
AWJ, I Evans, Bradley (Adam Jones and Lou Reed)

Back Row
Faletau, Warburton, Lydiate, Tipuric, Ryan Jones, Turnbull (Evans and Coombs)

Scrum Halfs
Phillips, L Williams, Webb (Evans, Davies)

Outside Half
Priestland, Biggar (Tovey, Hook)

Centres,
Roberts, JD, Scott Williams, Beck (Henson, Smith)

Wings,
North, Brew, Halfpenny (Mustoe)

FullBack
Thomas and Liam Williams (Fussell)

Mustoe!?? - Over Cuthbert and T.James who are ahead of him for the Blues - and over a lot of 1st/2nd choice wingers for the other regions.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 10 Jan 2012, 5:04 pm

No way should Mustoe or T James be anywhere near the Wales squad - though you could say that Mustoe might have the wider skillset.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 10 Jan 2012, 5:06 pm

I don't think that the selection policy of the Blues has any bearing. Cuthbert and James don't have an ounce of football between them. Mustoe is a real competitor with a lot of pace and is very elusive. If nobody else can see it, is that my fault?
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 10 Jan 2012, 5:08 pm

Cuthbert is an awesome player and looks very intelligent and skilled - IMO Mustoe is nowhere near international standard.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 10 Jan 2012, 6:10 pm

Don't listen to the hype. He's a ceffyl cart.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue 10 Jan 2012, 6:39 pm

Glas a du wrote:I don't think that the selection policy of the Blues has any bearing. Cuthbert and James don't have an ounce of football between them. Mustoe is a real competitor with a lot of pace and is very elusive. If nobody else can see it, is that my fault?

Cuthbert is a Wales 7s player - you need some rugby ability to play 7s

Mustoe has played 1 game this season, which he only started because Gavin Henson pulled out (and Cuthbert, Czekaj and T.James were injured), Gavin Evans (a hopeless centre) has been favoured to him on the wing this season. He was anonymous for much of the game.

Mustoe is a good player and always gives his all for the Blues, but he has never been first choice for the Blues.

Cuthbert is the 2nd highest try scorer in the Pro12 in his first season

Tom James is the highest try scorer in the Blues history

Czekaj has been in great form all season (having played a lot more than 1 game) at fullback or on the wing.

Harry Robinson will no doubt be favoured over Mustoe by the end of the season.

And that's just at the Blues, there are plenty of good wingers at the other regions - including capped internationals Harries and Prydie.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 10 Jan 2012, 6:47 pm

7's requires 7's ability. It is as different to union as league or NFL. International class players don't try to catch a high ball with their eyes closed.

Czekaj is awful. Prydie is not regional class. Harries I accept is a good call.

Mustoe is short, but this should not count against him.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 Jan 2012, 7:23 pm

I think he has blistering pace, but from what I've seen in 7s and in the games he has played for the Blues he has shocking defence

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue 10 Jan 2012, 8:01 pm

IronMike wrote:

I think he has blistering pace, but from what I've seen in 7s and in the games he has played for the Blues he has shocking defence

??? Really, his defence is the best part of his game from what I have seen for the Blues, 7s and U20s - Im more worried that his try scoring record isnt that great for a winger.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Tue 10 Jan 2012, 8:03 pm

I saw him miss tha high ball against the scarlets Glas and yep it was a really basic error. However I have really watched this guy a lot and he is somthing special he has pace and power but he does have a footballing brain too. He didnt show it against the scarlets and is still very raw but people were saying similar things about North just over a year ago and Cuthbert could make the same kind of impact George did.

Whther Gatts wants to play with two monster wingers or vary it a little depends on him I guess.

Tom james has everytyhing a rugby player needs, the problem is he only has one cell rattling around all lonely in his noggin. Mustoe is a good regional player but I dont see anything special there.

A back three of North, Cuthbert and Halfpenny would be somthing to unleash if we can get the ball out quickly enough to them.

I still have a sneaky suspiscion Henson is going to play full back.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Tue 10 Jan 2012, 8:06 pm

Henson won't start at fb - his kicking is still sus, but i strongly suspect he will have a utility back bench spot if he can pay a couple more decent games and stop getting injured every 30 seconds

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Tue 10 Jan 2012, 8:08 pm

Yeah I agree gatts thats how I would use him but I just have this feeling were going to see halfpenny, North and Henson line up as a back three.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Tue 10 Jan 2012, 8:10 pm

I actually think we'll probably see North, Halfpenny and Byrne as the back three. Considering Byrne has permission to got to the training camps.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Tue 10 Jan 2012, 8:10 pm

Throwing in Cuthbert against Ireland would be a huge risk

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Tue 10 Jan 2012, 8:12 pm

gowales wrote:I actually think we'll probably see North, Halfpenny and Byrne as the back three. Considering Byrne has permission to got to the training camps.

I agree for Eng/Fr and Ire that woudl be my back 3. I would play cuthbert for the other 2 games moving 1/2 to fb

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 10 Jan 2012, 8:23 pm

The jury's out on North. Cuthbert has run in a couple of tries that anybody could have. I've seen nothing in him which suggests he could play in the same team as North. For me Halfpenny has to be nailed on at full back, North will play on the right wing. Personally I would have Brew on the left and the next in line for any of the back three places would be Liam Williams or Stoddart when he's fit. This is Gatland remember. He could go for a backline of:

Phillips, Jones, Halfpenny, Roberts, Henson, North and Byrne.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Tue 10 Jan 2012, 8:24 pm

Is Byrne on form?

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Tue 10 Jan 2012, 8:27 pm

Your Glas is half full, Henson?!!! Not sure if that suggestion is blind optimism or blind stupidity!

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 10 Jan 2012, 8:31 pm

I'm not saying I would, but the man has form for bizarre selections and also for sticking with players he likes. He always wanted Roberts and Henson in midfield. Davies and Roberts may well start in Dublin, but it's a long time to the end of the championship.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 10 Jan 2012, 8:33 pm

Tycroes, Byrne has had all of Barry Davies' caps as far as I'm concerned, but playing like a pillock hasn't ruled him out of Gatland's plans previously.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Tue 10 Jan 2012, 8:35 pm

WTF happened to Byrne..he was the dynamo until this season and now it seems club form has made him unpickable for Wales yet he hasn't failed like some in the red shirt (Hook)

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Tue 10 Jan 2012, 8:42 pm

His form has been pretty good for Clermont. I suspect he will be picked.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 10 Jan 2012, 8:52 pm

Hasn't failed? Running up his own back side isn't failing for you then is it? The attacking capacity of a kipper.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Tue 10 Jan 2012, 8:55 pm

That's hardly fair, kippers have a nasty nip.

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 10 Jan 2012, 10:42 pm

Very Happy
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 11 Jan 2012, 9:05 am

Well here is what I would pick

Props - Jenkins, James, A Jones, Mitchell

Hookers - Rees, Bennett, Burns

2nd Row - AWJ, Davies, Evans, R Jones

Back Row - Faletau,Warburton, Lydiate, Tipuric

No9 - Phillips, Ll Williams, Webb

O/Half - Priestland, Hook, Tovey (but will be Biggar)

Centres - Roberts JD2, Sc Williams, Beck (but will be Henson)

Back 3 - North, Halfpenny, Li Williams, Byrne, Brew (but will be Cuthbert)

He has in the past though picked only a 28 man squad so two players could miss out possibly the 3rd scrum half and maybe one of the back 3 players.

From that squad of 30 I would start against Ireland with:

Jenkins Rees Jones
Davies Evans (AWJ not likely to be fit by first game)
Lydiate Faletau Warburton (c)

Phillips Priestland

Cuthbert (as think he will get nod over Brew)
Roberts JD2
North

Halfpenny

Bench
James Bennett R Jones Tipuric Ll Williams Hook Byrne

Bench will be interesting as a strong bench can often decide a game in the end, will he gamble on Henson and the experience of Hook and Byrne or will he gamble on the youth and in-experience of Biggar and Liam Williams.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Wed 11 Jan 2012, 9:22 am

I pretty much agree with ur team bedford - wish Owens was in instead of Burns but he just hasn't played enough.

I know Gats will more than likely pick Hook (unless he does one of his stupid 'making an example of a player' things) but I do worry just how ready is he for international standard outside half play, has he managed to iron out all(any) of the faults which characterised his game during the WC and in the last 6N - otherwise it's a big risk relying on him at our 2nd OH, as he'll be likely to come on around the 60min mark in at least half the games.

Also not sure if Gats will start with Cuthbert against Ireland as it would be a big ask (though he's done it before) and I think he'll be more likely to go with a back 3 of Halfpenny, North, Byrne which is experienced, has 2 huge boots, solid under high ball and very good counter attacking - rather than a back 3 of Cuthbert, North, Halfpenny - which is very good and I like Cuthbert but is maybe a bit inexperienced.

Just my thoughts though

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 11 Jan 2012, 9:50 am

Priest,

I wouldn't be to upset with that back 3, as I said on other post reports are that Byrne has been in good form.

I think the squad has a pretty settled look to it really with only a few slots up for debate.

Obviously one wing slot is free as is a 2nd row berth with Charteris out, the Hook/Henson debate will only grow as we get nearer the 6 Nations or once he announces the squad.

Can't see Hook and S Jones both getting picked though.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next