The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wilkinson, A True Legend of the Game - feel free to leave your greatest memories here

+24
SecretFly
rodders
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
pontylad
Time For Trumpton
Seagultaf
Red Right
mckay1402
boomeranga
gregortree
Gatts
Rava
offload
doctor_grey
aitchw
munkian
Smirnoffpriest
eirebilly
englandglory4ever
damage_13
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
westisbest
disneychilly
HERSH
28 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Should Wilko be made a Knight of the Realm?

Wilkinson, A True Legend of the Game - feel free to leave your greatest memories here - Page 2 Vote_lcap59%Wilkinson, A True Legend of the Game - feel free to leave your greatest memories here - Page 2 Vote_rcap 59% 
[ 19 ]
Wilkinson, A True Legend of the Game - feel free to leave your greatest memories here - Page 2 Vote_lcap41%Wilkinson, A True Legend of the Game - feel free to leave your greatest memories here - Page 2 Vote_rcap 41% 
[ 13 ]

Total Votes : 32

Wilkinson, A True Legend of the Game - feel free to leave your greatest memories here - Page 2 Empty Wilkinson, A True Legend of the Game - feel free to leave your greatest memories here

Post by HERSH Tue 13 Dec 2011, 9:45 am

First topic message reminder :

This is a feel good thread, so only leave positive thoughts and reflections on Wilkos career please.

He was a modern professional that boarded on the edge of being fanatical about the smallest detail, so much so that he would never settle for just being himself (a talented rugby player) he always wanted to improve his skills, something some of the modern players could do with learning.

Wilko will forever be remembered for the drop-goal (off his wrong foot) that brought England the World Cup in 2003, but he was so much more.

My favourite memory of him was watching him practice his kicking, the guy could hit the upright whilst kicking from the try line corner flag, at his best, he was the best distributor of the ball in the NH something that is often over looked because of his kicking skills, his tackling was also outstanding for a fly-half.

Wilkinson is an extraordinary man with an extraordinary talent, and English rugby is much the poorer without him but at least there was no farewell game to boost his ego on the international stage, instead he chose the right time to go without making a song and a dance (or forward roll) about it.
Whistle

Last edited by HERSH on Tue 13 Dec 2011, 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Wilkinson, A True Legend of the Game - feel free to leave your greatest memories here - Page 2 Empty Re: Wilkinson, A True Legend of the Game - feel free to leave your greatest memories here

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Wed 14 Dec 2011, 2:04 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:
Kiwireddevil wrote:
And it wasn't Shane who lost the Aust match - the whole Welsh team was shaded on the day.

Is that the swear filter in operation again?
Laugh
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Wilkinson, A True Legend of the Game - feel free to leave your greatest memories here - Page 2 Empty Re: Wilkinson, A True Legend of the Game - feel free to leave your greatest memories here

Post by HERSH Wed 14 Dec 2011, 4:57 pm

Second youngest England international at 18 years and 314 days

Total of 277 points at Rugby World Cups is 50 more than anyone else

Total of 1,246 points is second only to Dan Carter's 1250 in the history of the sport

England won 67 of the 91 Tests Wilkinson played

Finished with a record 1,179 points for England

Arise Sir Jonny, Its going to happen Wilkinson, A True Legend of the Game - feel free to leave your greatest memories here - Page 2 3602195817
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 14 Dec 2011, 5:00 pm

I think a lot of credit needs to go to his mentor Rob Andrew..... Whistle
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 14 Dec 2011, 5:08 pm

"I think a lot of credit needs to go to his mentor Rob Andrew..... ."

Rob heard that comment...and insists he was not in the room, wasn't man managing at the time, never spoke to Jonny about it and Jonny never spoke to him, he wrote nothing down and made no phone calls but wants to remain in charge of the the mentoring all the same... because it's a big job and he has the credentials.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Intotouch Wed 21 Dec 2011, 8:06 pm

Love him love him love him. Although not as cute as Cipriani my awe of him renders him the most attractive fly half ever. Wonderful player. I hope the French appreciate him.

Intotouch

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 22 Dec 2011, 7:42 am

Wilkinson was Rob Andrew + a decent first receiver pass + a stone wall defense.

Andrew was my era and Wilkson eclipsed him in (I would say) every respect apart from possibly kicking out of hand. Having Guscott, Carling and Underwood in his backline also made Rob look good.

My memories of Wilko (other than the obvious highlight reel stuff) relate to his offensive defence. JW could hit like a train and it intimidated other 10s. I have to go back to Philippe Sella for another guy of his size who could easily drop a rampaging lock forward on his @rse.

Last edited by George Carlin on Thu 22 Dec 2011, 7:43 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Terrible grammar.)
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Thu 22 Dec 2011, 1:34 pm

I recall a chap by the name of Henry Honiball who dropped said rampaging lock forwards on their @rses for fun a couple of years before Wilkinson...

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by english warrior Thu 22 Dec 2011, 7:40 pm

JW is the greatest player, sportsman and all round good bloke to have ever put on an England Rugby shirt. This man would have been out of sight had he remained fit and got the number of points he could and should have gained.

For me his greatest achievement was not winning the World cup in 03, but in 07 where he turned an imploding bunch of losers in to near World champions and for that alone he has to be one of the greats of the game. Enjoy your Rugby and good luck for the future. Many thanks!!

english warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2