The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cleverly to face Andrzej Fonfara

+16
BoxingFan88
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
two_tone
mckay1402
Valero's Conscience
tommyhearnsprodigalson
superflyweight
Union Cane
Soldier_Of_Fortune
coxy0001
88Chris05
The Galveston Giant
Mind the windows Tino.
AlexHuckerby
Rowley
Scottrf
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Cleverly to face Andrzej Fonfara Empty Cleverly to face Andrzej Fonfara

Post by Scottrf Tue 13 Dec 2011, 10:11 am

25th February, Cardiff Motorpoint Arena.

WBO Number 9.
Already stopped.
Doesn't look like a big puncher.

Tough sell.

Last edited by Scottrf on Tue 13 Dec 2011, 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Cleverly to face Andrzej Fonfara Empty Re: Cleverly to face Andrzej Fonfara

Post by Rowley Tue 13 Dec 2011, 10:13 am

Winner of Hopkins Dawson still not available?

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 13 Dec 2011, 10:16 am

Hmm... Shumenov fight appears to have gone walkabout then.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 13 Dec 2011, 10:17 am

AlexHuckerby wrote:Hmm... Shumenov fight appears to have gone walkabout then.

It's typical Warren, talk about this big name and that unification and then when it comes time to deliver offer up some geezer nobody has heard of. Have nothing against Cleverly as he seems a decent enough kid but wake me up when he fights someone.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 13 Dec 2011, 10:21 am

Perhaps Warren did try and make a fight with Shumenov. It's can't always be his fault if a fight doesn't happen.

He has a responsibility to Cleverly to keep him busy as well. He can't exactly sit on his bum for a year waiting for a 'big' fight.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 13 Dec 2011, 10:21 am

After this it wouldn't shock me if Bellew comes through his *Ahem* acid test, we see Cleverly face his domestic rival.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 13 Dec 2011, 10:23 am

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:Perhaps Warren did try and make a fight with Shumenov. It's can't always be his fault if a fight doesn't happen.

You're probably right Tina, he was probably just unlucky with Calzaghe for seven years.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue 13 Dec 2011, 10:28 am

Boring, can't see it selling well he'll have to put a decent card together, i think the wait for it will be as intense as the one for Klitschko/Mormeck, disappointing.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 13 Dec 2011, 10:30 am

Can't see him putting a massive undercard together in a 5k seater arena though.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 13 Dec 2011, 10:32 am

rowley wrote:
Mind the windows Tino. wrote:Perhaps Warren did try and make a fight with Shumenov. It's can't always be his fault if a fight doesn't happen.

You're probably right Tina, he was probably just unlucky with Calzaghe for seven years.

I'm not saying he is blameless and I wouldn't hold him up a paragon of virtue either. Just that we don't know what has happened behind the scenes and Cleverly needs to fight regularly. He is still raw and needs to fight as often as possible. Would you rather a young, new 'world' title holder fights once a year or trys to keep busy and learn his trade whilst waiting for a bigger fight?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 13 Dec 2011, 10:32 am

For someone who is twenty-odd fights in to their career but is calling themself a 'world champion' with two successful defences behind them, Cleverly's opposition has been pretty awful so far.

Can't see this selling unless he sticks some of the Olympians on the undercard, and even then it's likely to be a turgid evening.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Tue 13 Dec 2011, 10:32 am

WBO Number 9.

To be honest their rankings for LHW are a disgrace.

Yet another Frank Warren swindle with a WBO stay at homey.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 13 Dec 2011, 10:34 am

I thought they would go for the number 2 ranked 'teak tough Ghanain, home of Azumah Nelson, never been stopped' to be honest.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Tue 13 Dec 2011, 10:35 am

Cue Steffan to say the Fonfara is a tough test

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 13 Dec 2011, 10:36 am

Scottrf wrote:I thought they would go for the number 2 ranked 'teak tough Ghanain, home of Azumah Nelson, never been stopped' to be honest.

Building up to it, Scott, waiting until the anticipation and clamour for it reaches fever pitch.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 13 Dec 2011, 10:38 am

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
rowley wrote:

I'm not saying he is blameless and I wouldn't hold him up a paragon of virtue either. Just that we don't know what has happened behind the scenes and Cleverly needs to fight regularly. He is still raw and needs to fight as often as possible. Would you rather a young, new 'world' title holder fights once a year or trys to keep busy and learn his trade whilst waiting for a bigger fight?

I don't care to be honest because a fight like this probably has little to no value, what sticks in my craw is the constant talk of unifications or the winner of Hopkins Dawson which you know damned well are not going to happen, treats fans with absolute contempt and treats us like idiots. If you have no intention of matching him with anyone with a pulse, and I genuinely don't believe Frank is, then keep your trap shut and hope enough people are stupid enough to shell out for dross.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Tue 13 Dec 2011, 10:41 am

They have Dimitrenko at number 2 light heavy?

He's never weighed in at less than 240lbs...

Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 13 Dec 2011, 10:43 am

Na 'teak tough Ghanain, home of Azumah Nelson', Braimah Kamoko is an number 2, think there was a copying error.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 13 Dec 2011, 10:46 am

rowley wrote:

I don't care to be honest because a fight like this probably has little to no value, what sticks in my craw is the constant talk of unifications or the winner of Hopkins Dawson which you know damned well are not going to happen, treats fans with absolute contempt and treats us like idiots. If you have no intention of matching him with anyone with a pulse, and I genuinely don't believe Frank is, then keep your trap shut and hope enough people are stupid enough to shell out for dross.

Fair enough, I don't have that much time for Warren either, I just don't think Cleverly should be at the point of being blamed yet. If, like Calzaghe, it takes him forever to get the big fights he claims he wants then he will be fair game, but until that point I think he deserves a little slack. A lot of people were critical of his performance against Bellew so he shouldn't take too much stick for wanting to fight as much as possible and keep progressing.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 13 Dec 2011, 10:49 am

In fairness though Tino, it was Cleverly who was making noise about a unification bout or taking on someone like Hopkins in the post-fight press conference after Bellew. Not saying he should be taking the blame, but when the fighter himself suggests something approaching a 'big' fight and then takes on someone like Fonfara, the fans will naturally question why, and how genuine he was with that statement.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 13 Dec 2011, 10:51 am

88Chris05 wrote:In fairness though Tino, it was Cleverly who was making noise about a unification bout or taking on someone like Hopkins in the post-fight press conference after Bellew. Not saying he should be taking the blame, but when the fighter himself suggests something approaching a 'big' fight and then takes on someone like Fonfara, the fans will naturally question why, and how genuine he was with that statement.
Perhaps they are trying to find a fan for Fonfara.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Tue 13 Dec 2011, 10:54 am

He's popular in Scotland.

There are fans for Forfana in Forfar.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 13 Dec 2011, 10:56 am

Think were it any other promoter people would be a little more forgiving but Warren has such form for this, as Alma said only delivered for Hatton when he was threatening to leave, took seven years to deliver for Joe, like most would hate to see Clev go the same route as Calzaghe, and start the same debates for all time on here.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Tue 13 Dec 2011, 10:58 am

1. Dmitry Sukhotsky (Int-Cont) RUS
2. Alexander Dimitrenko GER 2. Denis Lebedev RUS 2. Braimah Kamoko (WBO Africa) GHA
3. Eduard Gutknecht GER
4. Soulan Pownceby (Asia-Pacific) NZ
5. Marcus Vinicius de Oliveira (Latino) BRA
6. Robin Krasniqi (WBO Europe) GER
7. My mum SCO
8. Karo Murat GER
9. Andrzej Fonfara (NABO) POL
10. Dustin Dirks GER
11. Graham Norton IRE
12. Viacheslav Uzelkov UKR
13. Tomas Kovacs SVK
14. Isaac Chilemba MAL
15. Tony Bellew GB

That's better

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 13 Dec 2011, 10:59 am

88Chris05 wrote:In fairness though Tino, it was Cleverly who was making noise about a unification bout or taking on someone like Hopkins in the post-fight press conference after Bellew. Not saying he should be taking the blame, but when the fighter himself suggests something approaching a 'big' fight and then takes on someone like Fonfara, the fans will naturally question why, and how genuine he was with that statement.

I do take your point Chris, and I would like to think that Cleverly will be a touch embarrassed about his comments, but that happens with all boxers. I would still rather him take a fight that sit around. He is so green and needs time to develop, doing that as a 'world' champion is just an indictment of all that is wrong with the game, but not exactly his fault and not really the debate here. I am not saying it is a great fight or that Warren/Cleverly are the model of how it should be done, far from it, just that he needs to keep active somehow.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by tommyhearnsprodigalson Tue 13 Dec 2011, 11:01 am

Who's Cleverly's mandatory? i thought he had to fight him next

Once you become "world Champ" your opposition should improve dramatically, these are the kinda fights you take on the way up, not when you're supposidly at the top

tommyhearnsprodigalson

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Tue 13 Dec 2011, 11:08 am

Who's Cleverly's mandatory?

Apparently it's me, i'm around the 175lb mark and have done nothing to warrant a ranking so they've gone for me in their big lottery style draw for who gets the spot.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Tue 13 Dec 2011, 11:09 am

coxy0001 wrote:

Apparently it's me, i'm around the 175lb mark and have done nothing to warrant a ranking so they've gone for me in their big lottery style draw for who gets the spot.

*275lb
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Tue 13 Dec 2011, 11:09 am

Typical Warren, get a guy to be champ by easiest route possible, when the spotlights on, say you'll fight the best, wait for the smoke to settle and fight a genuine "WHO"!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 13 Dec 2011, 11:10 am

coxy0001 wrote:

I would give up a years salary to see you and Cleverly in a fight.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by tommyhearnsprodigalson Tue 13 Dec 2011, 11:12 am

think i might put my name in the hat then, im around 175 now and my record is a healthy 2(0) 5(3) 0 i've only ever sparred, im feather fisted enough to not worry the clev's chin and discovered i'm glass chinned aswell so he'll get the KO, think that warrents me over you coxy Very Happy

tommyhearnsprodigalson

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 13 Dec 2011, 11:14 am

coxy0001 wrote:

If we can have the same ref as the Maccarinelli Frenkel fight I'll happily match that.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Tue 13 Dec 2011, 11:15 am

tommyhearnsprodigalson wrote:think i might put my name in the hat then, im around 175 now and my record is a healthy 2(0) 5(3) 0 i've only ever sparred, im feather fisted enough to not worry the clev's chin and discovered i'm glass chinned aswell so he'll get the KO, think that warrents me over you coxy Very Happy

You look too dangerous on paper to fight him!

Once Enzo Mac gets KTFO a few times, he'll be about ready!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 13 Dec 2011, 11:16 am

Him or Steve Smoger.

Lets get it on.

That's £250k, we're probably not far off.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 13 Dec 2011, 11:16 am

rowley wrote:
coxy0001 wrote:

If we can have the same ref as the Maccarinelli Frenkel fight I'll happily match that.

I wasn't even considering having a ref actually. Just a fight to the finish.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 13 Dec 2011, 11:19 am

coxy0001 wrote:

All your jobseekers allowance? :O

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 13 Dec 2011, 11:21 am

AlexHuckerby wrote:All your jobseekers allowance? :O
Tino is one of the 1%. Don't be deluded.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Tue 13 Dec 2011, 11:21 am

rowley wrote:
coxy0001 wrote:

I wasn't even considering having a ref actually. Just a fight to the finish.

Must be official. I probably stand more chance than his current choice of opponent.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Tue 13 Dec 2011, 11:23 am

Perhaps Warren appreciates that although he has basically walked to a title he is still a bit green and needs more fights before he's ready for a real test. Personally I'm glad he's not just chucking him in against someone he patently isn't ready for. Needs a step up soon though or he will be looking more like a plastic champ.
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Tue 13 Dec 2011, 11:26 am

mckay1402 wrote:Perhaps Warren appreciates that although he has basically walked to a title he is still a bit green and needs more fights before he's ready for a real test. Personally I'm glad he's not just chucking him in against someone he patently isn't ready for. Needs a step up soon though or he will be looking more like a plastic champ.

That's exactly what is wrong with boxing, IMO if you are a champ holding one of the Big 4 belts then you should be ready to fight anyone.

How can a champ not be ready for a unification fight? If Cleverley isn't ready then i'd rather see him knocked out so the belt is passed on to someone who will at least attempt to fight the others.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 13 Dec 2011, 11:29 am

Scottrf wrote:
AlexHuckerby wrote:All your jobseekers allowance? :O
Tino is one of the 1%. Don't be deluded.

Eh?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 13 Dec 2011, 11:30 am

You haven't heard of The One Percent? It's more of an American thing to be fair, take a look on Google.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 13 Dec 2011, 11:30 am

Valero's Conscience wrote:
mckay1402 wrote:Perhaps Warren appreciates that although he has basically walked to a title he is still a bit green and needs more fights before he's ready for a real test. Personally I'm glad he's not just chucking him in against someone he patently isn't ready for. Needs a step up soon though or he will be looking more like a plastic champ.

That's exactly what is wrong with boxing, IMO if you are a champ holding one of the Big 4 belts then you should be ready to fight anyone.

How can a champ not be ready for a unification fight? If Cleverley isn't ready then i'd rather see him knocked out so the belt is passed on to someone who will at least attempt to fight the others.

Got to agree, the idea that a world champion is not ready to fight the best in the world is patently ridiculous and is a microcosm of everything wrong with the sport, world titles should be the absolute pinnicle, not a marketing tool. Seems fighters and promoters want to have their cake and eat it, want the kudos and extra money being a world champion brings but without the tricky bit of getting in the ring and fighting the best in the world.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Tue 13 Dec 2011, 11:34 am

Scottrf wrote:You haven't heard of The One Percent? It's more of an American thing to be fair, take a look on Google.

American things, Finnish fight fans, you're quite the international playboy aren't you!
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 13 Dec 2011, 11:34 am

Completely right Rowley, if you aren't willing to take on the biggest challenges or at least face genuinely credible opponents then you should not be fighting for titles.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Tue 13 Dec 2011, 11:34 am

rowley wrote:
Valero's Conscience wrote:

Got to agree, the idea that a world champion is not ready to fight the best in the world is patently ridiculous and is a microcosm of everything wrong with the sport, world titles should be the absolute pinnicle, not a marketing tool. Seems fighters and promoters want to have their cake and eat it, want the kudos and extra money being a world champion brings but without the tricky bit of getting in the ring and fighting the best in the world.
It's hardly his fault the way things have panned out. He fought for the interim and then was awarded the title by default. Had there been somebody in the seat then he would have had to do it the traditional way but in the end he has got there probably a couple of years before he was ready to. Perhaps the belt should pass to someone else but he is the current holder and I have no doubt that in 2012 he will make a defence against a decent opponent.
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 13 Dec 2011, 11:37 am

Union Cane wrote:
Scottrf wrote:You haven't heard of The One Percent? It's more of an American thing to be fair, take a look on Google.

American things, Finnish fight fans, you're quite the international playboy aren't you!
It’s a small world in the internet age Cane.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 13 Dec 2011, 11:54 am

Just understood the one percent jibe Very Happy

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by two_tone Tue 13 Dec 2011, 12:10 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:Just understood the one percent jibe Very Happy

Could also refer to the amount of useful posts you contribute.

two_tone

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 13 Dec 2011, 12:27 pm

Is this the BIG NEWS that boxnation promised us a few days ago!!!???
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next