The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What are your goals for the 2012 season?

+21
goodwalkspoiled
barragan
dynamark
slyadams
shclaff
lorus59
hend085
puligny
links
jeffkenna
tarka
Diggers
Marcus
Nay
beninho
McLaren
ScottieD18
LadyPutt
super_realist
goldwolf
navyblueshorts
25 posters

Go down

What are your goals for the 2012 season? Empty What are your goals for the 2012 season?

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 13 Dec 2011, 10:44 am

As a result of a frustrating round the other day when a lot of my tee shots were blocked into varying grades of rough/cabbage (a long-standing weak shot of mine), I decided I should make this a goal for next year i.e. being able to find the short grass when I have a driver in my hands. Having had a bit more thought, now have a few more goals:

1) I've always hit a soft draw but this appears to be a bit inconsistent with the longer clubs these days so I'm going to work on moving the ball in a nice left-to-right fade instead.

2) Need to sort out my driving accuracy. Given I'm blocking it too often, had a decent look at my grip and it's pretty weak so going to work on a slightly stronger left-hand grip.

3) My short game is nowhere as strong as it should be so I'll be focusing (exc. the driving) on my game from 100 yards in.

4) Fitness. Carrying a bit too much timber (food/drink, you know how it is) for my liking so I'll be aiming to get a few miles into the legs either through running or cycling over the next 12 months.

I'll be interested to come back to this in ~12 months and see where I'm at then.

Has anyone else thought about goals for next season? If so, what are they?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

What are your goals for the 2012 season? Empty Re: What are your goals for the 2012 season?

Post by goldwolf Tue 13 Dec 2011, 11:03 am

Hi navy.

At this moment in time I'm not sure I will be golfing next year, but if I do then I will be looking to get my handicap down close to 1 but with no time for practise it will be hard.

It's going to be a strange one as all my regular group are leaving the club for a more upmarket establishment which is out of my price range, so not sure where it leaves me. Turning up to play with some randomers every week doesnn't exactly excite me.

Last edited by goldwolf on Tue 13 Dec 2011, 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total

goldwolf

Back to top Go down

What are your goals for the 2012 season? Empty Re: What are your goals for the 2012 season?

Post by super_realist Tue 13 Dec 2011, 11:08 am

My goal is to continue to enjoy my golf as much as I did in 2011, by taking it less seriously I actually returned lower scores and far more consistent golf.

If i'm putting a target on anything I think getting to a "low" 1 would be a great result.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Tue 13 Dec 2011, 11:08 am

Start playing golf again and get fully fit. Simples Very Happy
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by ScottieD18 Tue 13 Dec 2011, 11:13 am

Reduce handicap from 5 and shoot one medal under par

ScottieD18

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 13 Dec 2011, 11:31 am

One goal I always have and which I failed badly at this season is to play as many courses as I can whether they be new to me or just ones which I have enjoyed. In 2011 the only courses I played other than the braids was st Andrews Jubilee and new course. So for 2012 the goal will be to play more and play more courses. (Speaking of which anyone live in the London, Kent or surrey area?)

I am also going to make the commitment to get some lessons, as in my whole golfing career I have only had about 5. Two years ago I got a few and it really helped so I will try to get some before the season starts and during the season.

I hope that getting lessons will provide a plan for improvement on the playing front so at the moment I am not going to think about anything specific to work on as the pro will hopefully have a better idea than me. Although like you navy, I hope the pro will help me work on a left to right shot shape.

I often think about doing some fitness specific to golf but I play football a couple of times a week so when you consider time spent on that and golf extra time on workouts is just not available.

GW

Surely after your great victory in the club championship you cannot give up the game? Plus I imagine it must have made a few new contacts at the club and opened up more games to play in with new people?

If your friends are so flash, and real friends, can they not stump up the difference between them for you to move to the new club?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 13 Dec 2011, 11:41 am

Mac, where do you play football? Corn Exchange?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by goldwolf Tue 13 Dec 2011, 11:44 am

McLaren wrote:GW

Surely after your great victory in the club championship you cannot give up the game? Plus I imagine it must have made a few new contacts at the club and opened up more games to play in with new people?

If your friends are so flash, and real friends, can they not stump up the difference between them for you to move to the new club?
They don't really make a big deal of the club championship at my club mac, not like at other clubs.

The other guys moving is more to do with the fact that they want to play a course where the CSS is higher. They had a bit of a falling out with the committee at The Edge as the committee refuse to make the course "less easy" for higher handicappers. It's £2000, I don't think they'd be too happy with paying for me!!

goldwolf

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 13 Dec 2011, 12:06 pm

Super

Not played there for a while, I hear they got new pitches recently. Play at the one out by sighthill, meadows and a few more whose names escape me. Have you started playing in Edinburgh?

When do you think you will make the move to Edinburgh full time?

GW

All they have to do is split the difference between them, cant imagine they would be paying more than £100 each?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue 13 Dec 2011, 12:15 pm

My goal is to be able to put in a relativly consistent round - Playing of 21, and not practising, makes it hard. But i know it is there. Started off with 3 pars the other day, and 5 on the front 9, but the rest where 3 doubles and a bogey. Then had a mare on a short par 3, and it all went wrong. All i ask is one decent consistent round. Probably a dream more then a goal.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 13 Dec 2011, 12:15 pm

Mac, have played both Sighthill and Corn Exhange. Play every week.
"Grass" is a bit thick and you get some funny bounces, pitches are a bit on the small side for proper 5 a side, more like 4.5 a side.

Moved through to Old Reekie this week but still going to go back to play golf in Fife at the weekend.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 13 Dec 2011, 12:25 pm

So where about in the town are you staying?

Also will you be joining a club in ediburgh? I would very much recommend the edinburgh leisure card.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 13 Dec 2011, 12:30 pm

PS

New goal for me; play a round with super in Edinburgh or even better TOC?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Tue 13 Dec 2011, 12:34 pm

Super, I would recomend the 7s pitch at the pits if you can get the extra players

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 13 Dec 2011, 12:40 pm

Is that the one out at Sighthill? Played 7's there in August in about 30 deg.
Shane Lowry would have died.

Looking into clubs at the moment Mac, but very pricey for the good ones, got two clubs at the moment, one of which I can convert to Country Membership so perhaps an Edinburgh Leisure Card would be good for midweek summer golf.

Down in Costorphine

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus Tue 13 Dec 2011, 12:43 pm

My goals are to get down to scratch, and to work on hitting a fade with some sort of consistency.

Marcus

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 13 Dec 2011, 12:50 pm

Super

Not sure how old you are but I have the youth option (22-24) for the Edinburgh leisure golf card (7 days all courses) and it costs £270 a year. But you can pay monthly so it really is very cheap.

For over 24’s it is £360 a year all courses 7 days.

Just think we could play any of the courses with each other whenever we wanted. The closest course to you in corstorphine would be carrick knowe.

I think there are few other 606v2’ers on the Edinburgh leisure card.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 13 Dec 2011, 12:52 pm

I'm on the zoo side of Carrick Knowe, looks dreadful to be fair.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Tue 13 Dec 2011, 12:57 pm

Carrick knowe is a course to keep players like me, out of the better players way like you

Last edited by Nay Bother on Tue 13 Dec 2011, 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fat fingers)

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 13 Dec 2011, 1:11 pm

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 13 Dec 2011, 1:27 pm

My goal will probably be to pick up a club at least once. With a new Diggers due in Feb and the other still a toddler I cant see me playing much golf in 2012. Might set up a net in the garden I think.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by tarka Tue 13 Dec 2011, 1:29 pm

hanicap reduction from 22 to 16, really gonna go for it

tarka

Back to top Go down

Post by jeffkenna Tue 13 Dec 2011, 1:49 pm

Number 1 goal for 2012 season - to stop being so hard on myself and beating myself up when I hit poor shots, enjoy the game more than I sometimes do when I'm out on course.

In terms of my game:
1. sort out my chipping- my head is totally mashed with it, I now have no confidence standing over a chip shot, a few lessons in the new year on my chipping to break the whole thing down and rebuild.

2. be more aggressive with my putting. Too tentative the last few years. The last few weeks I've tried pushing my hands slightly forward at address and it seems to be promting a better roll.

3. get handicap down 1 shot to 4 - a feat that will only be accomplished by sorting out my chipping!!!

4. long game- happy but ensure I don't neglect it.

Finally - I am moving to a new club in the new year (main reason being that my old club is full of begrudgers and never given younger players a look in at teams), Been a member since I was ten (so nearly 17 years) at my current club but I feel it's just time for a change (the new course is longer, and in many ways it will suit my game better) so another goal is to enjoy my new club, make some new friends/ acquaintances and try to gain considerarion for teams (have been invited to play in group of players who play practice matches in preparation for interclub team comps).

jeffkenna

Back to top Go down

Post by links Tue 13 Dec 2011, 1:49 pm

As it will be my first full year playing golf and I've only recently joined a club, I think the next 12 months is just going to be about enjoying myself, getting to know people from the club, hopefully making a few friends so I have regular playing partners.

If I can just enjoy golf for the year, and stop getting so frustrated with myself, then this time next year I will make myself some tangible aims and objectives (or if things dont work out, sell my clubs!)

links

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Tue 13 Dec 2011, 8:28 pm

Short game, short game and short game practice. Aiming to putt like Luke rather than Tamara Press!!!!

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Tue 13 Dec 2011, 8:51 pm

jeffkenna wrote:
Finally - I am moving to a new club in the new year (main reason being that my old club is full of begrudgers and never given younger players a look in at teams), Been a member since I was ten (so nearly 17 years) at my current club but I feel it's just time for a change (the new course is longer, and in many ways it will suit my game better) so another goal is to enjoy my new club, make some new friends/ acquaintances and try to gain considerarion for teams (have been invited to play in group of players who play practice matches in preparation for interclub team comps).

what courses are they as a matter of interest JK?

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Tue 13 Dec 2011, 9:10 pm

JK first rule of sport let alone golf is to enjoy it. Good luck.

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Wed 14 Dec 2011, 2:41 pm

I guess my goal would be to accept the fact that I am just no good at this game and learn to live with that somehow. It should be my goal from my very next round, not wait until 2012.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by shclaff Wed 14 Dec 2011, 2:47 pm

I'm aiming to get to single figures from 14. Got my first of 6 lessons with a pro on Monday so the new regime starts then!

Also hoping to bag at least one medal as this will be my first proper 'season' as a club member

shclaff

Back to top Go down

Post by slyadams Wed 14 Dec 2011, 3:09 pm

Got my long game into a position where its nowhere near the bottleneck of my game, thus hoping to start to maintain it rather than improving it.

Really want to start getting much more confident on and around the greens and from 50 yards and in. Would like to be able to lean on my short game a little. If I hit a lot of greens I currently can shoot high 70s, if I don't, its mid 80s because I rarely get up and down.

Handicap aim is to get down from 13.4 to 9.9!

slyadams

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 14 Dec 2011, 3:14 pm

I'd like to see a lot more people employ course management more often.
It's frustrating to see people trying to pull off hollywood shots.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Wed 14 Dec 2011, 3:42 pm

Hanging around on 11 for two years now and would aim to get back to 9
may need new irons perhaps graphite,eyesight is not helping,and need to work less practise more but main aim is to start making greens in regulation.All I seem to be doing is scrambling from the fringes to make par.
Sure its still in there somewhere

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by jeffkenna Wed 14 Dec 2011, 5:04 pm

hend085 wrote:
jeffkenna wrote:

Hend085 - I'm in Wicklow Ireland. Moving to Blainroe Golf Club from Wicklow.

jeffkenna

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Wed 14 Dec 2011, 5:15 pm

Next season will be my first as a daddy, baby_ban due at the end of February! As a result, I'm not sure how much practice I'll manage so my aim is not to get too hard on myself if my handicap remains static or tracks upwards. Last season's goal was to get from 7.9 to 4.9. I got to 5.0 within the first two months, then various personal issues got in the way of golf and my handicap ended up at 5.9, despite hitting my buffer zone in more than 2/3 the comps I played. Handicap-wise next season I would be delighted to get back down to 5 and stay there, but will hopefully stay chilled if that doesn't happen Cool .

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by goodwalkspoiled Wed 14 Dec 2011, 9:12 pm

Would like to get down to single figures for the first time ever. Sitting at handicap of 10 [9.9 exact I think] at the moment ....... maybe this year !
goodwalkspoiled
goodwalkspoiled

Back to top Go down

Post by jeffkenna Wed 14 Dec 2011, 10:13 pm

ban_bam wrote:Next season will be my first as a daddy, baby_ban due at the end of February! As a result, I'm not sure how much practice I'll manage so my aim is not to get too hard on myself if my handicap remains static or tracks upwards. Last season's goal was to get from 7.9 to 4.9. I got to 5.0 within the first two months, then various personal issues got in the way of golf and my handicap ended up at 5.9, despite hitting my buffer zone in more than 2/3 the comps I played. Handicap-wise next season I would be delighted to get back down to 5 and stay there, but will hopefully stay chilled if that doesn't happen Cool .

ban - your goal should simply to get a few games in!!! Best of luck for the exciting times ahead. No doubt you'll really appreciate the game that little bit more when you get out for your rounds

jeffkenna

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Thu 15 Dec 2011, 1:40 am

ban_bam wrote:Next season will be my first as a daddy, baby_ban due at the end of February! As a result, I'm not sure how much practice I'll manage so my aim is not to get too hard on myself if my handicap remains static or tracks upwards. Last season's goal was to get from 7.9 to 4.9. I got to 5.0 within the first two months, then various personal issues got in the way of golf and my handicap ended up at 5.9, despite hitting my buffer zone in more than 2/3 the comps I played. Handicap-wise next season I would be delighted to get back down to 5 and stay there, but will hopefully stay chilled if that doesn't happen Cool .

Would I be right in thinking that baby_ban's rattle could look suspiciously like a golf club?

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Thu 15 Dec 2011, 4:45 pm

jeffkenna wrote:
hend085 wrote:
jeffkenna wrote:

Hend085 - I'm in Wicklow Ireland. Moving to Blainroe Golf Club from Wicklow.

both nice spots JK. im in Malahide co. Dub myself

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Thu 15 Dec 2011, 4:51 pm

cheers guys,

jeffkenna wrote:ban - your goal should simply to get a few games in!!! Best of luck for the exciting times ahead. No doubt you'll really appreciate the game that little bit more when you get out for your rounds

no doubt i'll appreciate the opportunity for some space on the golf course but will be eager to get home to the wee one!

lorus59 wrote:Would I be right in thinking that baby_ban's rattle could look suspiciously like a golf club?

perhaps ... they'll have the golf clubs in their room, so that ought to be enough inspiration!

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by number1hacker Fri 23 Dec 2011, 7:37 am

I started to play golf a year ago and not being one to set my sights to high, said to a friend of mine (the friend that introduced me to the game) that i'm going to shoot a level par round before the first year is up...The reaction from my friend was a laugh, followed by the words "we'll see" . Well people he was right!! My lowest round was an 80... So the goals for the 2012 season, to shoot a level par round....

number1hacker

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Fri 23 Dec 2011, 9:28 am

My goal is to lose as few golf balls as possible. That alone should help my game, shouldn't it?

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Fri 23 Dec 2011, 10:17 am

Well done No1 hacker, perhaps you should think about changing your name for 2012!

I just want to enjoy my golf and still be fit and healthy by the end of 2012.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 23 Dec 2011, 10:30 am

number1hacker wrote:I started to play golf a year ago and not being one to set my sights to high, said to a friend of mine (the friend that introduced me to the game) that i'm going to shoot a level par round before the first year is up...The reaction from my friend was a laugh, followed by the words "we'll see" . Well people he was right!! My lowest round was an 80... So the goals for the 2012 season, to shoot a level par round....

Give this book a read mate if thats your aim , is quite funny in places.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dream-Hackers-Challenge-Break-Year/dp/0856408417/ref=sr_1_20?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1324636146&sr=1-20

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Fri 23 Dec 2011, 10:43 am

ill second that-its actually a very good read!

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Fri 23 Dec 2011, 11:48 am

number1hacker wrote:I started to play golf a year ago and not being one to set my sights to high, said to a friend of mine (the friend that introduced me to the game) that i'm going to shoot a level par round before the first year is up...The reaction from my friend was a laugh, followed by the words "we'll see" . Well people he was right!! My lowest round was an 80... So the goals for the 2012 season, to shoot a level par round....

Would be well impressed if you manage to do that. I have played for about 15 years on and off and now down to 5 and never shot a level par round!! Aim for next year is small just to improve my ball striking and hopefully get down to 4. Hopefully the lessons ive had so far will help.

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Fri 23 Dec 2011, 12:55 pm

Can't believe none of you have put Win the Winter Eclectic Laugh Shame on you.

Like Navy, lose a bit of the timber, start doing pilates again to improve flexibility and core strength.

Planning on keeping the swing active this year somehow. Short game work during the year (have to find the time for that)

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Fri 23 Dec 2011, 6:15 pm

I need to get under par first before that can be a goal grumpy

Goal is to become awesome at golf, or at least to be able to shoot to actual 15 handicappers level

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by number1hacker Tue 27 Dec 2011, 1:56 am

Sand wrote:

Would be well impressed if you manage to do that. I have played for about 15 years on and off and now down to 5 and never shot a level par round!! Aim for next year is small just to improve my ball striking and hopefully get down to 4. Hopefully the lessons ive had so far will help.

Like I said Sand, i am not one for setting my sights too high!!! You are right though, I would be happy enough to shoot a few rounds in the 70's but there is no harm in trying..

number1hacker

Back to top Go down

Post by number1hacker Tue 27 Dec 2011, 1:59 am

Diggers wrote:

Give this book a read mate if thats your aim , is quite funny in places.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dream-Hackers-Challenge-Break-Year/dp/0856408417/ref=sr_1_20?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1324636146&sr=1-20

Thanks for the link Diggers, i'll give it a read...

number1hacker

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 19 Jan 2012, 4:43 pm

An update on aims....

navyblueshorts wrote:...1) I've always hit a soft draw but this appears to be a bit inconsistent with the longer clubs these days so I'm going to work on moving the ball in a nice left-to-right fade instead.
Hmm. After a couple of dispiriting sessions on the range the last couple of days where the driver could have been going anywhere, even with a slightly stronger left hand, thought I'd look at ball position in my stance by the simple expedient of laying a club on the floor at 90° to launch direction level with the ball. On taking up stance, seems I had my driver teed quite some way up in my stance; maybe on my left big toe. Not good.
Hit the last 30-40 balls with it reset to ~1" inside my left heel and what a difference. Feels a bit odd but instead of blocked fades and pull-hooks (in the main) most were straight or with a nice draw provided I didn't "get ahead" of the ball.
Makes sense when I think about it and definitely looking forward to my eclectic round this weekend now What are your goals for the 2012 season? 3933776953! May have to re-assess year's aims re. going for a fade as a stock shot....
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down