The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Getting back in to the gym...and goals for 2012!

+2
bluestonevedder
Fists of Fury
6 posters

Go down

Getting back in to the gym...and goals for 2012! Empty Getting back in to the gym...and goals for 2012!

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 03 Jan 2012, 10:13 am

Not looking forward to getting back in to the weights again after two weeks off over Christmas and New Year - going to hurt, isn't it!!

Anyone else had some time off? What are your goals this year?

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Getting back in to the gym...and goals for 2012! Empty Re: Getting back in to the gym...and goals for 2012!

Post by bluestonevedder Tue 03 Jan 2012, 10:27 am

I had the 23rd-28th off, and first session was back! Deadlifts first and I woke so stiff I could barely move the next morning! Probably should have eased myself in I reckon!

Standard goals really. I would like to see good gains in my compound movements, especially bench because that's a weak area I think.

How about yourself fury?

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Getting back in to the gym...and goals for 2012! Empty Re: Getting back in to the gym...and goals for 2012!

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 03 Jan 2012, 11:09 am

I think this one is more about maintenance, for me, as opposed to gains.

2011 was a decent year for me in terms of gains, but I'm at an ideal size and weight now for what I want (6ft tall, 170lbs) for boxing and just how I want to look in general really. I've always preferred a lean muscular look over a bulkier muscular look, so that is something I'll work on maintaining I think, particularly given that it fits in with the boxing etc too.

So, probably a lot of bodyweight exercises, and I'll certainly be looking to increase my endurance with those.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue 03 Jan 2012, 11:13 am

sounds good. It's always harder maintaining the leaner body type than the bulkier one, so your plan of action sounds good. what sort of workout do you adopt to maintain your physique?

Is it a split of upper and lower, or different bodyparts?

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 03 Jan 2012, 11:46 am

I don't really train legs in the gym, given that boxing and the supplementary weekly run I do take care of those to an extent.

I get to the gym 3 times per week in an ideal week, where I follow the following splits: Back/light biceps, Chest/light triceps, Shoulders. I box twice a week too, so plenty of exercise in there.

My weight never fluctuates at all, so I must be sitting at my ideal weight right now, and it is really just a case of keeping up the gym work to hopefully avoid muscle loss, and trying to remain disciplined in what I eat. That went completely out of the window over the last 2 weeks, as I imagine it did for most people! I'm not overly strict on my diet, but try to avoid the really fatty foods wherever I can, and rarely bother with crisps and chocolate bars. A balanced diet is the aim, i.e. both carbs and protein, as it is no good working out on no carbs!

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue 03 Jan 2012, 12:00 pm

Definitely don't think you're alone in the diet flop of the last two weeks. Routine sounds good for what you're after, good luck with the maintenance year!

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 03 Jan 2012, 12:08 pm

Thanks, mate. Let us know how you get on with the compound gains.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by I Blame Coco Tue 03 Jan 2012, 2:52 pm

Managed to keep training throughout the christmas break, but kept it a bit lighter than usual and the diet wasn't what it usually is. Got back into it this morning with a squats and dead lift session.

Main aims for 2012 - be able to squat and deadlift 200kg, currently at 180 and 175 respectively.

I Blame Coco

Back to top Go down

Post by GG Wed 04 Jan 2012, 10:47 pm

A combination of injury, exams, chrsitmas, then more exams means that when I re-join at the end of the month I'm gonna be so stiff! Still, I can't wait to get back in there Very Happy

GG

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 05 Jan 2012, 2:57 pm

Back session last night, not easy! My right lat was a bit sore after boxing on Tuesday which didn't help. Still, good to get it done. Next trip tomorrow I think - chest and triceps.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Thu 05 Jan 2012, 4:10 pm

I did back too and god I can hardly walk today after my deadlifts- but managed to set a new p.b, so worth it all. Good start to the New Year!

Do you compete in boxing fury?

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 06 Jan 2012, 3:35 pm

Well done, mate, mine was a much lighter session!!

Not at the moment, no. Keep it to sparring, but I'm weighing up a fight in April, not sure whether I'll take it yet.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 06 Jan 2012, 6:44 pm

Since the 1st I've set 2 new PB's on squat and deadlift and played my first game of 7 a side since a few years, on course for my short term goals at least.

Back to top Go down

Post by johnson2 Thu 12 Jan 2012, 12:39 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:I don't really train legs in the gym, given that boxing and the supplementary weekly run I do take care of those to an extent.

I get to the gym 3 times per week in an ideal week, where I follow the following splits: Back/light biceps, Chest/light triceps, Shoulders. I box twice a week too, so plenty of exercise in there.

My weight never fluctuates at all, so I must be sitting at my ideal weight right now, and it is really just a case of keeping up the gym work to hopefully avoid muscle loss, and trying to remain disciplined in what I eat. That went completely out of the window over the last 2 weeks, as I imagine it did for most people! I'm not overly strict on my diet, but try to avoid the really fatty foods wherever I can, and rarely bother with crisps and chocolate bars. A balanced diet is the aim, i.e. both carbs and protein, as it is no good working out on no carbs!

Running and boxing wont strengthen the legs. Get them lean yes, but more powerful, definately not.

johnson2

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 12 Jan 2012, 4:58 pm

I'm only really interested in endurance in the legs, johnson. My legs are quite big naturally, so I won't have a big top half/little bottom half issue, which you see with a lot of people that neglect legs.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by skimpton Sun 15 Jan 2012, 8:36 pm

To stay injury free, last year was a write off.
A torn adductor in Jan, Shoulder acromial decompression (key hole surgery) in March, and Lower back problem in August diagnosed in December as completely degenerated disc between L5 and S1.
Despite back been gven OK to resume training and going to be working back up gradually.
Aim is competition standard Squat 132.5kg, Bench 90k and Deadlift 150kg. BDFPA British qualifing standards for my age and weight.
Currently building up on 5x5's.
Oh and lose the extra xmas weight - about 3kg.

skimpton

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down