The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Next For Floyd?

+5
All Time Great
azania
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Steffan
bloodygloves
9 posters

Go down

Next For Floyd? Empty Next For Floyd?

Post by bloodygloves Thu 15 Dec - 21:04

It does seem that future possible opponents for Floyd are quickly lessening; Khan and Pacquiao have been the 2 names most associated with fights for him.. Khan will be out of the equation to build himself back up and Pacquiao doesn't seem to pose much threat either, not sure if Floyd will be keen to fight Manny after his recent performance(s).
Floyd seems even further above the rest now, with neither of those looking like they would be much challenge for him!
So what good fights are out there for him now! A rematch with Marquez seems pointless, maybe moving up to fight the big man!?

bloodygloves

Back to top Go down

Next For Floyd? Empty Re: Next For Floyd?

Post by Steffan Thu 15 Dec - 21:12

Martinez would create a lot of interest

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Thu 15 Dec - 21:53

excluding khan and manny, financially alvarez and cotto makes sense. Cotto can sell out and is already a ppv fighter and is a big name in the sport, but he is past his best and bar marg-cotto 2 hasn't looked that good. Alvarez is a rising superstar, is ppv worthy atm and alvarez is the bigger, stronger and younger fighter but alvarez is still a bit too green ofr floyd ( might be more of an incentive for floyd to fight him). Martinez would be the risky fight and wouldn't sell better than the other 2 so floyd won't take the risk unless martinez kills himself to get down to 150lbs, 147lbs.

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 15 Dec - 22:25

What next for Floyd? Hopefully a fight. That would be good and sometimes unusual.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by All Time Great Thu 15 Dec - 23:10

There really is no one out there at 147lbs, he schools a diminished Pacquiao over 12 rounds (albeit I've heard reports a fight is most likely to be made in May).

Other than that, he may choose the winner of Ortiz vs. Berto 2- a victorious Berto being the most lucrative fight most likely, but even that's a hard sell. 154lbs is a bit much for Floyd's frame, but he has been there before to fight De La Hoya, in perhaps his second closest fight.

A fight with Sergio Martinez at 154lbs will provide the biggest test in his career to date but a Cotto fight would be the most lucrative.

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 16 Dec - 9:16

If he takes out Martinez, that would be a MASSIVE scalp.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 16 Dec - 10:15

The Pacquiao fight should still certainly be top of Floyd's list. Gets a huge monkey off his back if he were to win, which is looking ever-more likely to me.

Barring that, Alvarez would be interesting and a guaranteed money spinner. I'd say that Mayweather has two fights, perhaps three left at the most before he sails off in to a final (and permanent) retirement, and as such Martinez probably represents a bit of an unnecessary 'high risk, low reward' element right now.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 16 Dec - 10:34

It's annoying though, people should be interested in that kind of a fight where he has a real chance of losing (Re: Martinez)

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 16 Dec - 11:02

I see your point Alex, but from Mayweather's point of view, Martinez isn't the most enticing proposition.

Let's just say the Pacquiao fight does happen in May, and Floyd wins. His stock will never have been as high as it will be then in that case. He'll have earned (in the eyes of most sane people) almost total recognition as the finest boxer of his era, pound for pound. Why risk that against a Middleweight (I don't see Martinez at this stage returning to Light-Middleweight, despite what he says) who is likely to scale 170 lb or more on fight night?

I don't think we should be too critical of Mayweather if it transpires that a fight with Martinez doesn't happen in 2012. As long as it's either Pacquiao or Alvarez next up (Cotto at a stretch), I'll be happy with his choice of opponent.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Fri 16 Dec - 11:11

Apart from the obvious, i'd be happy seeing him in the ring with Cotto, Martinez or Alvarez.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 16 Dec - 11:15

No, no, most certainly not what I was meaning, I don't think Floyd should realistically be pressured to fight MArtinez, as you say he is for all intents and purposes a Middleweight and would have a huge weight advantage on him come fight night, (Though De La Hoya probably had round about the same kind of advantage but wasn't as dangerous as Martinez)

Realistcally speaking the Manny fight is the fight he should be targetting, however me personally I don't see that as a threat and the Martinez fight for me is a bit of a genuine pick 'em and I think people should really be more interested in that seeing as that fight is relatively realistic and would have a real question mark over it.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 16 Dec - 11:25

Thing is though, Alex, how often do you get the two biggest global stars in the sport campaigning in the same weight class? Not all that often.

But how often do you get the two biggest global stars in the sport who also happen to be the two best pound for pound fighters in the sport campaigning in the same weight class? Hardly ever.

No matter how irritated we've all been by the saga, it's understandable that the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight is so highly touted. I see what you're saying in the sense that we should perhaps be more interested in Martinez as he poses a bigger risk, but that hasn't been the case until very recently. Ask a hundred boxing fans now who'd win out of Mayweather and Pacquiao, and seventy percent (or more) will go for Floyd. Ask the same hundred a couple of years back when the fight was first being negotiated, and I imagine that figure would have been very close to fifty-fifty.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 16 Dec - 11:32

Sadly the best LMW/MW in the world right now, no one outside of the sport has heard of.... Shocking.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachine Fri 16 Dec - 12:13

Mayweather needs to consider moving up another weight division if he can't get the fight with Pacquiao.

Alvarez would be interesting but too easy for Floyd, I'd rate him along Ortiz in terms of a scalp at LMW.

Margarito would be interesting for Mayweather, Marg is a big draw, he's got a lot of press recently and the Cotto fight will leave him wanting redemption.

Cotto would be a good fight, but not really something I'd pay to see, I don't get excited by Cotto anymore.

He needs to get Martinez in the ring. Mayweather fighting ANYONE creates a massive amount of interest in them. People will be questioning who this Sergio Martinez is and then think "bloody hell - he's actually really good!" and it'll snowball.

It'll also cement his legacy. I see a win over Martinez at LMW as a MUCH bigger victory than a win over Pacquiao. I see it as a more interesting fight too.

JabMachine

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 16 Dec - 13:02

Margarito/Mayweather is quite possibly the most pointless fight that has been mentioned, no offence JabMachine.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Fri 16 Dec - 13:09

AlexHuckerby wrote:Margarito/Mayweather is quite possibly the most pointless fight that has been mentioned, no offence JabMachine.

Yea cotto boxed margarito's head off for 9 rounds and floyd is a much better fighter than cotto is. Floyd has said he is never going to fight at 154 lbs again after the DLH fight and i think he's true to it. He will go 150lbs at max imo which rules out martinez and maybe alvarez (looks about 170 when he fights). He will make money no matter who he fights, that a fact.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down