The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Comparing two winners last night (SPOILERS)

+5
Imperial Ghosty
The genius of PBF
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Marky
9 posters

Go down

Comparing two winners last night (SPOILERS) Empty Comparing two winners last night (SPOILERS)

Post by Marky Sun 18 Dec 2011, 9:03 am

Kell Brook
Pro Debut: 2004
Fights: 26
Wins: 26
Wins by KO: 18

Andre Ward
Pro Debut: 2004
Fights: 25
Wins: 25
Wins by KO: 13

Now I know Brook is a Welterweight and Ward a Super Middleweight, but their careers are very, almost eerily, similar. My question is, how can Ward managed to achieve such success as being a two version holder of the World Super-Middleweight Title and holding the Super Six trophy, while Brook is still breaking through, and poncing around with Inter-Continental titles?

Is it all down to the Super Six tournament giving Ward the big fights he needed? Would Brook do well in a Welterweight version of the Super Six?

I personally think it proves that Kell Brook has fought some talentless people on his way to where he is today, I genuinely think Brook has yet to be tested against a world class fighter, a past it N'Dou doesn't count either. Whereas Ward has taken on Kessler and Froch, two fighters tipped to be the best in the division, and he's won both fights comfortably! No-one really knows if Kell Brook has what it takes, the signs from last night are yes, but i'm dying for him to fight someone who is a challenge to him.

Having read his Q&A with 606v2, which was a great read, my opinion of him is that he's a genuine guy but it doesn't change the fact he has most of his wins at a level beneath him, and although his next fight could be for a World Title, I think he should have been there 12-18 months ago. If he's as good as he's made out to be anyway.

Marky

Back to top Go down

Comparing two winners last night (SPOILERS) Empty Re: Comparing two winners last night (SPOILERS)

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sun 18 Dec 2011, 9:12 am

Well I think it speaks for itself that he hasn't been tested properly due to being so good.

Let's not forget that Frank Warren almost ruined the lads careers by having him rot on undercards in leisure centres supporting DeGale etc.

Matchroom know what they are doing and Brook has progressed more in his last 3 fights under Hearns than he ever had in 20 odd fights for Warren.

Brooks last fight fight against Jakelizck (just guessed how to spell that lol), he never even broke a sweat. Against a guy ranked 5 by ring magazine. The ease Kell is fighting at is simply down to being so good, not his opponents being so bad....recently anyhow.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Comparing two winners last night (SPOILERS) Empty Re: Comparing two winners last night (SPOILERS)

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 18 Dec 2011, 11:11 am

But ward is an olympic gold medallist. He had more going for him then kell did at the beginning of their careers so could be fast tracked quicker. Don't forget, ward had done as little as kell before the super 6. The super 6 has made him, no-one really knew him before it. Yes kell hasn't been in with world class opposition but hearn is going the right way to making a champ with a good fanbase. You hear of young fighters not being able to sell but kell has a huge fanbase which will only grow after last night. He wasn't an attraction to people like malignaggi and alexander before as he was a nobody to them. Ward had the advantage of living in america so the top name sin the sport saw him as he was climbing the ranks

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Sun 18 Dec 2011, 1:22 pm

Brook needs to step up now in terms off opponents otherwise he wont fulfil his potential.

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 18 Dec 2011, 1:25 pm

An olympic gold medal will propel a fighters career forward by a good ten or so fights.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Sun 18 Dec 2011, 1:29 pm

5 fights and 2 years ago - Ward was not really any further along than Brook - so it shoes how quickly things can progress. I'd like Brook to start to step things up now - preferably with a title at 147. He's got good fundamentals and good punch power. So why hang around?
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 18 Dec 2011, 3:03 pm

Apparently Kell had some attitude problems also.

But there is something about his style which makes me think he will win a belt but fall short when it comes to unifying the division (ignore Floyd and Pac)

He has good hand speed with power, accurate and good bounce in his legs. But watching last night, he has a very straight back and doesn't lean forward from the waist. I believe this inhibits his close up fighting and will be found wanting when he fights a bully type of fighter.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sun 18 Dec 2011, 3:35 pm

He looked good last night but you would expect that from facing a club circuit fighter. Time to step it up, i'll give him one more easy night.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Sun 18 Dec 2011, 3:47 pm

In a day where its natural for unfinished articles to he given WBO straps and deemed champions, I find Brook refreshing. He is homing his skills, is there anything wrong with that? Surely its better to work your way up before being granted a fight against a weak champ.

Also, let's not forget that Welterweight is a tough division.

The real issue with Brook is that he has fought guys who are in and around his level with experience but he has made them look ordinary. He's a young guy and his fight last night was merely a showcase for US fans to see.

I can see him dominating Welterweight in the coming years.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 18 Dec 2011, 3:52 pm

In a day where its natural for unfinished articles to he given WBO straps and deemed champions, I find Brook refreshing. He is homing his skills, is there anything wrong with that? Surely its better to work your way up before being granted a fight against a weak champ.

clap

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 18 Dec 2011, 3:53 pm

Think he'd have fought for the WBO title by now were it not for it's current champion.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sun 18 Dec 2011, 3:54 pm

He's coming along faster now, i just feel he needs to stop calling out Khan until he steps his opposition up, if he genuinly believes he can win then fair enough but i don't see what his measuring stick is, i will give him one more easy night as it was his American debut. His career had stalled for a while also so it feels he's been hanging about longer, he's a great talent i want to see him test himself now.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Sun 18 Dec 2011, 7:13 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Think he'd have fought for the WBO title by now were it not for it's current champion.

High risk - low value for Pacquaio Wink Besides, we all know Arum doesn't deal with non-PPV fighters. Thats why we see strong opposition like Manfredo Jr against Chavez Jr.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down