The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Carl Froch future?

+12
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
88Chris05
AlexHuckerby
Waingro
zx1234
Herman Jaeger
Super D Boon
ONETWOFOREVER
The Galveston Giant
manos de piedra
azania
Seanusarrilius
16 posters

Go down

Carl Froch future? Empty Carl Froch future?

Post by Seanusarrilius Sun 18 Dec 2011, 11:51 am

Ok

I think as a baord we all agree Froch lost, and although never embarrassed, he was soundly beaten. Personally i think Froch could have made it closer had he fought less rigid and done a few other things differently but the speed killed him. Ward was Dirrell with more aggression IMO.

So where does Froch go now?

34 years old 28-2 and a run of murderous fights. Personally I am pleased he can now come home and hopefully his stock is still high enough to entice good challenges to the city ground. Personally I see Froch best move forward as the following:

Home fight in Spring against a top contender if he can get one. Then, when Kessler finally takes the WBO from Stieglitz in April, do everything he can to get that rematch. I thinkhe can get it, Kesler wants it and is honourable IMO. So win that, three time SM champ, then up to LH for Clev in huge British clash (that again i think he could win) and from there, retirement.

Froch only got $600k according to ring mag for last nights fight which i find appaulling really. I believe he can make more in homsecoming battles but needs to get the relevant challenges. If Kessler hadn't got injured it would be him next but as he has Froch will need to wait for that one.

Bute will want to drag Froch to Canada and may even throw enough cash at him to do it, but personally i think that would be a mistake by Froch to do so. Needs to get back in the mix with a belt.

Spring fight-Kessler-LH . . . retirement. That's my hope for Carl.

Yours?

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Carl Froch future? Empty Re: Carl Froch future?

Post by azania Sun 18 Dec 2011, 11:55 am

$600k and with such a poor undercard? It says a lot about how the Americans see Ward also.

Froch should rematch Kessler and depending who is worn out less, Froch should win. Kess is an easier target to nail.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Sun 18 Dec 2011, 12:06 pm

I think hes due a soft fight really. Coming off another loss and tough run of fihts he might be better off having an easier fight than Kessler next - which would be very tough and gruelling.

The feeling I have with Kessler is that the rematch would only have been a big issue had Frch beat Ward. As he would want to set his only loss straight. But Ward has now established himself as the best in the division so beating Kessler in a rematch doesnt really change that for Froch. In terms of rematches I am sure he would prefer to to fight Ward again who is the recognised number 1 one now in my view.

Otherwise light heavyweight may be a the call if he can mak the fights happen there. The Super 6 was handy for Froch because it garaunteed him the big fights without too much negotition difficulty but if he moves to light heavyweight he may find it tougher to get a shot as I cant see Cleverly or Shumenov wanting him and its debateble how much Hopkins or Cloud would want him at this stage in their careers. Hes not bringing a whole lt to the table for them other than a tough fight.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sun 18 Dec 2011, 12:09 pm

I would like to see Carl move up after a decent break, Wards style is all wrong for him, too cute.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 18 Dec 2011, 12:23 pm

Froch needs a break and then when he returns he should opt to find a new trainer. I think Steward or Richardson would do big things with Froch. Mckracken is not and has never been an elite level trainer although he is very good, I just do not see him taking Froch a level higher then he already is.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Sun 18 Dec 2011, 12:23 pm

Don't think the Froch v Kessler 2 fight is on now. Froch offers little to Kessler and given that the fight is bound to be staged in Germany or Denmark under a very corrupt promoter then it's robbery time for Froch if he can't get Kessler out of there.

Bute will want to shaft him in Canada being as Lucien likes fighting leftovers and will want to do a number on Froch better than Ward did.

Only hope for redemption is Nathan Cleverly. Can't see Froch having any other big fights where he's got a chance of making good money and actually winning.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 18 Dec 2011, 12:24 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:Froch needs a break and then when he returns he should opt to find a new trainer. I think Steward or Richardson would do big things with Froch. Mckracken is not and has never been an elite level trainer although he is very good, I just do not see him taking Froch a level higher then he already is.

Big things such as what? No way does Froch beat Ward. A new trainer would not have made a difference to the outcome.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 18 Dec 2011, 12:28 pm

Well Ward seemed to be surprised that Froch was easy to hit and too slow. To beat Ward you need a game plan which Froch clearly did not have. Froch has all the attributes, good chin, ko power, heart and grit but can be improved even more. The good thing about Sugar Ray Leonard was he could always find a way to win, Froch is 1 dimensional.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 18 Dec 2011, 12:32 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:Well Ward seemed to be surprised that Froch was easy to hit and too slow. To beat Ward you need a game plan which Froch clearly did not have. Froch has all the attributes, good chin, ko power, heart and grit but can be improved even more. The good thing about Sugar Ray Leonard was he could always find a way to win, Froch is 1 dimensional.

TO beat Ward you need a certain skill which Froch doesn't have. No trainer can take a Froch type fighter to beat Ward. Ward is simply the better boxer.

Ward has all those attributes (less power) but blends them together better and with more speed and great boxing intelligence.

Well Froch evidently is no SRL. Good boxer, but SRL was elite. Not every racehorse is Shergar regardless of the training.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 18 Dec 2011, 12:43 pm

I only mentioned SRL because he had the ability to FIND a way to win which IMO can be taught. Froch's assessment of Ward was that he would get rough and never expected Ward to come out and outbox him cleanly on the inside and on the outside which begs the question did Froch study his man?

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun 18 Dec 2011, 12:45 pm

Froch Ward return in Nottingham with Joe Cortez referee would be nice.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sun 18 Dec 2011, 12:47 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:I only mentioned SRL because he had the ability to FIND a way to win which IMO can be taught. Froch's assessment of Ward was that he would get rough and never expected Ward to come out and outbox him cleanly on the inside and on the outside which begs the question did Froch study his man?

I'm not sure if they did but Wards camp had Froch well worked out. Froch doesn't have a plan B either.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 18 Dec 2011, 12:47 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:I only mentioned SRL because he had the ability to FIND a way to win which IMO can be taught. Froch's assessment of Ward was that he would get rough and never expected Ward to come out and outbox him cleanly on the inside and on the outside which begs the question did Froch study his man?

Froch is simply not as good as Ward. Not every boxer can find a way to win especially when the other boxer is better than you and wihtout any obvious weakness.

I dont know why you're pinning some blame on Froch for not doing his homework or whatever. Ward is better and will always beat Froch.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by zx1234 Sun 18 Dec 2011, 1:02 pm

i think he's been promised a rematch with kessler and one with pascal too, so he's got a few options, personally i think he is too small to compete at light heavy and now he's not a beltholder and being 34 years old he doesn't have much to lose going to canada for a fight

a froch pascal rematch and bute and kessler fight on the same card would be a good night of boxing

Last edited by zx1234 on Sun 18 Dec 2011, 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

zx1234

http://www.footballbetting365.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 18 Dec 2011, 1:02 pm

Ward looked better then he actually is IMO and thats because Froch was too slow and left his chin out to dry.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Sun 18 Dec 2011, 1:53 pm

I really hope for Kessler rematch, in Notts then maybe a final fight with Clev at LH because Clev has no power and would be good British fight to finish off with.

To suggest Froch should drop McKrackenis laughable, Froch would be nowhere without him. His corner advice is second to none, Froch just couldn't excecute and was beaten by a better fighter.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Waingro Sun 18 Dec 2011, 2:07 pm

I think Froch and Ward should have a rematch in Britain a true champ is willing to travel and defend his title and Ward has not done this. Froch was not at his best last night and was fighting abroad I think a rematch in Britain would be close and Froch could win but he needs to change his tactics. Froch will have learned fom this and can win with a new gameplan so lets see if Ward will show he is a true champ and agree to a rematch in Britain which Froch has said he would be keen on.

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 18 Dec 2011, 2:11 pm

Waingro wrote:I think Froch and Ward should have a rematch in Britain a true champ is willing to travel and defend his title and Ward has not done this. Froch was not at his best last night and was fighting abroad I think a rematch in Britain would be close and Froch could win but he needs to change his tactics. Froch will have learned fom this and can win with a new gameplan so lets see if Ward will show he is a true champ and agree to a rematch in Britain which Froch has said he would be keen on.

Jesus, it's Hatton/Mayweather all over again...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun 18 Dec 2011, 2:54 pm

One thing's for sure, Froch has absolutely no divine right to a rematch. The fight wasn't close and, if Froch was, for instance, a German rather than a Brit, nobody here would even be entertaining it as an option.

Not sure where Froch goes now. In the build up to the Ward fight he was, once again, adamant that he doesn't find the thought of rebuilding against lower ranked men much of an appealing idea. If Ward rematches anyone, it should be Kessler. Froch will want to have his next fight at home surely, and could do with a sure thing - so that's Bute out of the question, I'd imagine.

Up to 175 lb? That gentleman's agreement between him and Pascal for a rematch may need to be on hold given that the Canadian has lost his WBC belt since. Hopkins would have little interest, you'd think.

No, I said a while back that if Froch loses - particularly if it was by a conclusive margin - I'd like to see him retire, and I stick by that. Don't think he will, mind.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Sun 18 Dec 2011, 3:06 pm

From a fans perspective I hope he doesnt retire. Hes good to watch, I like his approach and attitude and hes good value.

From Frochs own perspective though its not really clear what his options are. I think he needs to win another lower key fight to rebuild somewhat, put his stock back up there and then look at what options are available. I dont think Hopkins would be too interested in fighting him on the back of a decisive loss, if at all. In the SMW division he hasnt really got anything much to prove now and has kind of found his place. Ward is the man there now and rightfully so so Froch beating a Kessler or Bute for a belt wont change that.

At light heavyweight I cant see many being keen on facing him. Hopkins and Dawson will surely go again, Cleverly and Shumenov are unlikely to fancy it and Cloud probably similar. Hes not bringing enough for them and is too big a threat. So maybe after winning a home fight retirement may be an appealing option for him ath that stage.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Sun 18 Dec 2011, 3:06 pm

Chris,

Good points as ever. Retirment isn't ont he cards, at least not this year. Given Froch only got 600k for the biggest fight of his career he will want at least 3 more i think. I think Kessler willl come to England, there is no way he goes back to Oakland and Ward will never go to denmark and can't draw slies anywhere outside of his living room, so don't see that happening. If Froch rematches Kess, wins, thhen maybe big money fight with Bute and retirles, i am fine with that. I just dont want to see him go on too long cos he ships a lot fo punishment. At 34 he should have an exit strategy that's for sure

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun 18 Dec 2011, 3:07 pm

Froch has never, nor has anyone else, acted like he has a divine right. Where on earth are you getting that from?

People merely saying in the interests of fairness, would be nice if they should fight one home and one away.

I think you'll find Ward is getting full credit across the board, I don't know what you are reading. There obviously won't be a rematch for now, so just relax

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun 18 Dec 2011, 3:10 pm

Herman Jaggery wrote:Froch has never, nor has anyone else, acted like he has a divine right. Where on earth are you getting that from?

People merely saying in the interests of fairness, would be nice if they should fight one home and one away.

I think you'll find Ward is getting full credit across the board, I don't know what you are reading. There obviously won't be a rematch for now, so just relax

Not talking about Froch saying he has a divine right to a rematch, I'm referring to the people on here who, for some strange reason, are calling for one. Feel free to keep telling me what I really mean though, mate.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun 18 Dec 2011, 3:12 pm

Mate is it?

Oooooooh

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 18 Dec 2011, 3:34 pm

I don't see how he can carry on a decent super middleweight career. Maybe a rematch with dirrel but dirrel hasn't been the same since abraham. Kessler rematch would do well BUT kessler will probably want to go after ward or bute and get more money.

He's not a huge draw still. He got $600k last night but last night he was really embarrassed (tried but was far too slow) and theamerican's were quick to write him off. At supermiddle he can fight Groves but i can't see that happening for a couple of years. Clev-froch would be huge in england and froch should win. Pascal-Froch has been touted over the years but pascal seems to have lost something. He onloy has acouple years left but is big enough to be efficient at LHW

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Sun 18 Dec 2011, 4:16 pm

Froch v kessler, why not? Then clev and bye bye, Hearn is already talking about Bute in Canada, no no for me

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Sun 18 Dec 2011, 4:58 pm

Well he is holding no cards so his options are limited. He can't cherry pick and have an easy fight next imo. He'll need to go where the money/prestige is depending on his long term plan.

In terms of money then it needs to be a couple of domestic jobs, De Gale (if he would take it) and then Clev would set him up nicely.

If it's prestige he is after then it needs to be Bute (who has no fight scheduled), then the winner of Kessler/Steiglitz, followed by a bumper pay day against Clev in the UK. He could potentially be a 3 time champ at SM and a 2 weight champ by moving up to LH. I don't see a long term future for him at LH, he stated after last nights fight that he felt Ward had half a stone on him in the ring. The natural light heavies could have a stone or more on him.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Sun 18 Dec 2011, 5:00 pm

I dont see the incentive for Kessler to fight Froch again. Hes fighting for a world title next March/April I think which he should realistically win against Stieglitz. After that I think he will have a mediocre defence of two or if he wants a bigger fight look at Bute or possibly a rematch with Ward which might interest Ward to try and capture another strap. A potential clash with Froch would have to wait til late next year.

Froch is just a tough nights work for him, who he already beat fairly, so Im not sure why he would want it again now that Froch brings no title to the table. If he takes it on, especially in Nottingham, then fair dues but Im struggling to see what the appeal for him would be.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Sun 18 Dec 2011, 5:08 pm

Which is really why Froch should be going for Bute next. He needs a title in order to make big fights.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Sun 18 Dec 2011, 5:15 pm

I think he should have an relatively easy fight next in order to increase his chances of beating a big divisional name. A home fight that will give him a test but not a struggle and get him up and running again. Its probably not the best time to go for Bute off the back of a decisive loss, especially another road fight against a tough, strong opponent and then look at Bute for late next year.

Bute might fancy the fight alot more now that hes seen froch made look pretty ordianry but the liklihood would be the fight in Canada and Im sure Froch could do with a bit of a rest and a tune up between what would ineviteably be another tough fight he has to travel for.

From what Hearn is saying though it appears a fight Kessler is what they are chasing.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 18 Dec 2011, 5:15 pm

Nottinghams next best Bin man?

He'll be fine just an easyish fight and maybe a rematch with Kessler for the WBO when he wins the WBO against Steiglitz

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Sun 18 Dec 2011, 5:37 pm

The only sense in taking an easy fight at home would be for the easy money, then he could go for the Kessler/Steiglitz winner later in the year and avoid having to bother with a Canada visit at all. At 34 I am not so sure he can afford too many filler fights, but I guess I can see the logic in this case.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 18 Dec 2011, 5:48 pm

Waingro wrote:I think Froch and Ward should have a rematch in Britain a true champ is willing to travel and defend his title and Ward has not done this. Froch was not at his best last night and was fighting abroad I think a rematch in Britain would be close and Froch could win but he needs to change his tactics. Froch will have learned fom this and can win with a new gameplan so lets see if Ward will show he is a true champ and agree to a rematch in Britain which Froch has said he would be keen on.

What would a rematch prove? Ward won comfortably. If Froch wasn't at his best its because Ward didn't allow him to fight at his best. So what if he was fightng abroad? It wasn't a home town decision either. In fact the judges were very generous to Froch. 115-113? The 118-110 was closer to what happened and that was by the UK judge.

Froch may have learned from this but he doesn't have the talent to beat Ward. Never has and never will do unfortunately. Froch is a good fighter.. Ward is on his way to be an alite, great fighter.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Sun 18 Dec 2011, 6:13 pm

Redrage wrote:The only sense in taking an easy fight at home would be for the easy money, then he could go for the Kessler/Steiglitz winner later in the year and avoid having to bother with a Canada visit at all. At 34 I am not so sure he can afford too many filler fights, but I guess I can see the logic in this case.

I dont think so. It would boost his confidence and give him a bit of a breather aswell. Hes come off an incredibly tough series of fights and in all honesty took a bit of lesson in his last one. This wasnt like the Kessler fight where he could tell himself he lost a close fight or that he felt he deserved to win. He was thoroghly beaten for the first time in his career. I think he could do with a tune up fight just to get him back to winning ways and to improve his confidence and recharge the batteries.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Virtual Chrissy Wissy Sun 18 Dec 2011, 9:05 pm

Personally I think Froch loves the intensity of the big matchups (which may have been a factor in not signing with Ol Frog Eyes) and as he is on good personal terms with Kessler I think the lure of a good dustup will prove too much. Where he goes after a Kessler fight remains to be seen but Bute has no God given right to fight anybody

Virtual Chrissy Wissy

Back to top Go down

Post by skimpton Mon 19 Dec 2011, 8:29 am

After all his recent big fights I don't think an easy fight for Froch is the right answer, I just think he would find it hard to get up for it.
Plus time is not on his side and he needs to get on with things.
He needs a belt.
Rematch against Ward will not happen....yet. He would need a belt to make it worth Ward's while.
The WBO belt will not be available until at least the middel of 2012 as Kessler and Steiglitz fight in April. Then I believe he will need to go abroad unless Kessler can be enticed to UK if offered enough money.
The IBF is with Bute but he will not leave Canada. That though is probably not an issue as we all know Froch is prepared to travel.
Therefore I would like to see Froch beat Bute for IBF.
Then unify IBF and WBO with Kessler (who I believe beats Steiglitz). With a belt he could get the fight in UK.
The winner to then fight Ward for unification across all 4 belts, which would probably take place late 2012 early 2013.
If Froch loses any of these he will need to go to LHW and cash-in on his gentlemans agreement with Pascal and then maybe Cleverley.

Therefore it should be Bute next.

skimpton

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Mon 19 Dec 2011, 8:51 am

i think ward is thinking bute too.

ward doesnt have unfinished business with kessler like froch claims to have so ward will be targeting the IBF as he apparently wants all the belts.

so froch may have to wait his turn.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by skimpton Mon 19 Dec 2011, 9:02 am

Dont think Ward will leave states or Bute will leave Canada.
Kessler will also be reluctant to fight Ward again in the states.
That is why I am saying Froch vs Bute, Kessler vs Steiglitzi (already scheduled) then the winners fight then the winner fights Ward.
With two belts each it may even tempt/get Ward outside of the states especially if he wants all four belts and is getting no other credible/legacy making fights in until then. - I dont think he will fight (either) Dirrell.

skimpton

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down