The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ward's WBC Mandatory Defence

+6
88Chris05
J.Benson II
coxy0001
azania
Union Cane
Mr Bounce
10 posters

Go down

Ward's WBC Mandatory Defence Empty Ward's WBC Mandatory Defence

Post by Mr Bounce Mon 19 Dec 2011, 11:12 am

Ward has come out on top of the Super Six and rightly so on ability, despite never leaving the USA. I have read, however, that he said he would never face his friend Andre Dirrell. Due to circumstances outside his control, Dirrell left the Super Six so the two never fought.

Now the WBC champion as well as the WBA, Ward will at some point have to face his mandatory if he is to retain his belt. The WBC number 1 contender is none other that Anthony Dirrell, Andre's younger brother. Will he fight? Will he vacate? Will he refuse to fight his friend's brother? Or will they get in on and have a good ol' ding-dong? Could be interesting... boxing

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Ward's WBC Mandatory Defence Empty Re: Ward's WBC Mandatory Defence

Post by Union Cane Mon 19 Dec 2011, 11:16 am

I can (just about) cope with the Klitschko's not fighting each other, but if Ward won't fight the #1 ranked challenger because it is his friend's brother, well, it is just ridiculous.

Where does it end?
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 19 Dec 2011, 11:18 am

I said yesterday that Andre Dirrell has the skill to beat Ward. Someone who is fast and fleetfooted could do it. But does Dirrell have the minerals to do it. Dont know much about Anthony Dirrell though.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Mon 19 Dec 2011, 11:18 am

Union Cane wrote:I can (just about) cope with the Klitschko's not fighting each other, but if Ward won't fight the #1 ranked challenger because it is his friend's brother, well, it is just ridiculous.

Where does it end?

Chavez Jr won't fight anyone who can punch back?

Calzaghe wouldn't fight anyone who anyone had heard of either

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Mon 19 Dec 2011, 11:20 am

I've seen Anthony Dirrell a few times on ESPN and he looked very good. Slick and talented like his brother but with a tougher mentality.

I think he'll provide a far tougher challenge for Ward than Froch was capable of.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 19 Dec 2011, 11:35 am

Depends if Ward is happy to go down the mandatory route or if he feels he's joined that group who are in the hunt for consistently 'big' fights, I suppose. Have seen only little bits and bobs of the younger Dirrell, so can't make a proper judgement on how dangerous he is, but I'm not sure that it's the sort of option Ward will be looking at now he's put himself firmly in the top dozen in the pound for pound race.

The 'Ring' belt, more than the WBC, is Ward's biggest reward for winning the Super Six, so wouldn't be surprised if he vacates. Refusing to fight someone because they're the brother of a friend is ridiculous, I'd agree, but I imagine the fact that Dirrell isn't much of a name thus far will be Ward's primary reason for missing this fight should he decide to do so.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Mon 19 Dec 2011, 11:53 am

In the top dozen chris?

Not correct. Probably top 4, certainly top5.

Can't see Ward wanting to give this belt up to be honest. Disappointing to hear he won't fight the Andr Dirrell though. That's one of the more intriguing fights out there for him right now. Maybe Andre could be the one guy who could nick a win off him.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 19 Dec 2011, 12:07 pm

My bad, meant to write half dozen.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Mon 19 Dec 2011, 12:20 pm

Ward could displace Martinez at number three, wouldn't have a problem with that, the dominance of his victories against the best in his division

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 19 Dec 2011, 12:36 pm

To be honest, I've never had Martinez quite as high as number three anyway. Outside of the two obvious names, I've usually been happy in having Donaire and Marquez ahead of him, too. In light of how much better those two have been than him in 2011, I think Martinez was only just clinging on to his top five spot in any case.

Mayweather, Pacquiao, Marquez and Donaire, in that order, is a top four which I'm pretty happy with. Sorting between Martinez, Ward and, at a stretch, Gamboa for that fifth spot is a bit more difficult. Wouldn't object to anyone putting either ahead of the other.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachine Mon 19 Dec 2011, 12:40 pm

I'd put Marquez ahead of Pacquiao now. He's only really been found out by Mayweather - personally I feel he beat Pacquaio in their last fight, so I see him as the better boxer now. That may be controversial but whatever Smile

JabMachine

Back to top Go down

Post by Unbeatable Georgey Groves Mon 19 Dec 2011, 12:57 pm

I'd rate Anthony better than Andre as he is tougher and can bang abit harder - but Andre might have a better chance of beating Ward as he is slicker and has quicker hand speed to keep up with Ward....

But I can't see the fight being a spectacle
Unbeatable Georgey Groves

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 19 Dec 2011, 1:07 pm

Anthony Dirrell is most certainly a very good boxer and has a far better mentality than his brother does. He overcame cancer once already which must have been tough, don't know if that has taken anything out of his body or not though.

Andre could have perhaps caused problems for Andre, but let's get it real, they're both scared stiff to fight each other and they grew up together, they're like almost best friends. I would maybe say Andre Dirrell has a good chance against Ward but to be honest he hasn't fought since Abraham and I'm not actually sure if he's ever coming back to the ring again. His two fights at world level were against Froch which he slightly controversially lost and Abraham, a guy that Froch and Ward completely schooled and he had massive problems with him and was in real trouble, then out came the controversial DQ punch and who knows what really happened after that?

Anthony Dirrell hasn't faced a genuine world level opponent let alone what seems to be an elite level opponent like Ward however.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Unbeatable Georgey Groves Mon 19 Dec 2011, 1:10 pm

Andre Dirrell is back on the 30th against Daryl Cunningham which is a difficult fight back so he clearly is looking to waste no time in getting back in title contention

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 19 Dec 2011, 1:19 pm

Didn't know that, has Dr. Shaw...........High sorted his head out then?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Unbeatable Georgey Groves Mon 19 Dec 2011, 1:31 pm

It seems so Very Happy did not think those sort of injuries just healed over time but i'm no neurological expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Mon 19 Dec 2011, 2:08 pm

Can't believe Ward has said he won't fight Andre Dirrell. Actually think that is made up. Refuse to believe Ward would display any signs that he won't take on all comers. Never seen any signs yet that he has any cherrypicking inclinations.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down