The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Froch Vs Bute: 2 Fight Deal

+14
AlexHuckerby
TopHat24/7
compelling and rich
coxy0001
KingMonkey
trottb
Waingro
paperbag_puncher
manos de piedra
Herman Jaeger
Fists of Fury
88Chris05
azania
ErmanH
18 posters

Go down

Froch Vs Bute: 2 Fight Deal Empty Froch Vs Bute: 2 Fight Deal

Post by ErmanH Mon 19 Dec 2011, 7:13 pm

http://www.badlefthook.com/2011/12/19/2646468/lucian-bute-vs-carl-froch-two-fight-deal-showtime-boxing-news

Posted this in the 'who should Froch face next article' but thought people may miss it. What do you guys think of this potential 2 fight series?

I like the idea of both fighters being given the opportunity to perform with home town advantage, theoretically we should then see the best of both when they are at home and relaxed and also we can gage who performs best out of their comfort zone. My main reservation however is if one fighter is dominated by the other in the first fight will there be much point in a rematch 2 months later. i.e. will people want to see the return if the first isn't competitive (although personally i believe it will be be).

ErmanH

Back to top Go down

Froch Vs Bute: 2 Fight Deal Empty Re: Froch Vs Bute: 2 Fight Deal

Post by azania Mon 19 Dec 2011, 7:24 pm

Personally I dont like the idea. Say one boxer thoroughly beats the other. Who would buy a rematch?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 19 Dec 2011, 7:34 pm

In theory, any fight between Froch and Bute should be a fairly competitive bout whichever way it goes - in theory. As Azania says, if one fighter isn't reading from that particular script, the rematch becomes a hard sell.

Still, a lot of positives can be drawn from this if it does come to pass. It should certainly tell us whether or not Bute is the real deal or anything approaching it, it gives Froch a chance to finally have a major world title fight back at home (he deserves that much at least given his recent travels) and, most importantly, means that I'll have the thrill of watching a world title fight at the sacred home of the greatest football team in the world.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 19 Dec 2011, 8:45 pm

Never knew they intended to fight at Villa Park, Chris.

I like the idea of this, but like most others would be rather surprised if it actually came to pass.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Mon 19 Dec 2011, 8:57 pm

Froch thrashes Bute. Bute reluctantly, comes to Nottingham, gets thrashed again. Ruined. Kessler beats Steiglitz, Froch thrashes Kessler in City Ground return. Ward declares he's comng to England to give Froch another chance. Loving this. Loving the innovation.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon 19 Dec 2011, 9:13 pm

I dont really think its a practical idea. It will only really work in instances where the fight is close.

Maybe if they have it set up to allow the second fight to be dropped if the first is one sided or does poor business.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Mon 19 Dec 2011, 10:15 pm

Herman Jaggery wrote:Froch thrashes Bute. Bute reluctantly, comes to Nottingham, gets thrashed again. Ruined. Kessler beats Steiglitz, Froch thrashes Kessler in City Ground return. Ward declares he's comng to England to give Froch another chance. Loving this. Loving the innovation.

Dream on.. Bute beats Froch fairly comfortably imo. Much better boxer, better footwork, more accurate and more elusive than Froch.

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 19 Dec 2011, 10:16 pm

paperbag_puncher wrote:
Herman Jaggery wrote:Froch thrashes Bute. Bute reluctantly, comes to Nottingham, gets thrashed again. Ruined. Kessler beats Steiglitz, Froch thrashes Kessler in City Ground return. Ward declares he's comng to England to give Froch another chance. Loving this. Loving the innovation.

Dream on.. Bute beats Froch fairly comfortably imo. Much better boxer, better footwork, more accurate and more elusive than Froch.

I tend to agree. It wouldn't surprise me that all the wars have caught up with froch.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Waingro Mon 19 Dec 2011, 10:31 pm

It is a good idea guys like Bute dont travel like Froch does they are stay at home fighters so this will make them have to travel to fight it also means if the first fight is a robbery then there is a rematch after.

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 19 Dec 2011, 10:34 pm

Waingro, please man, try using some punctuation marks.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 19 Dec 2011, 10:36 pm

Herman, I think I know which post it yours. Froch may have been coming on strong in the last 2 rounds. He had no choice. He looks like he was just winging it and trying hard. Ward still looked as if he was in control of the fight and more importantly, himself.

Not many fighters have a series of fights that Froch has just gone thru. He also makes it difficult for himself. The Johnson fight shouldn't have been that hard.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Mon 19 Dec 2011, 10:39 pm

I don't see the point of a 2 fight series. As others have said what happens if the first fight is completely one sided? Or if they split it 1-1? Surely they then need a rubber match and your back to square one having to decide where they fight the decider.

Waingro, the vast majority of fights are not robberies. You seem to have developed a strange phobia/obsession with them. Some people thought Dirrell was robbed against Froch do you?

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 19 Dec 2011, 10:43 pm

paperbag_puncher wrote:I don't see the point of a 2 fight series. As others have said what happens if the first fight is completely one sided? Or if they split it 1-1? Surely they then need a rubber match and your back to square one having to decide where they fight the decider.

Waingro, the vast majority of fights are not robberies. You seem to have developed a strange phobia/obsession with them. Some people thought Dirrell was robbed against Froch do you?

They'll do the 3rd fight on Xbox.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Mon 19 Dec 2011, 10:45 pm

You're right az, Froch never really got Ward into deep water, but do you think he might have done if he fought like that for another three rounds, assuming it's a fifteen rounder. Will stand by my assertion though that Froch is shopworn. On the contrary, he still looks like he's loving it.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Mon 19 Dec 2011, 10:46 pm

azania wrote:
paperbag_puncher wrote:I don't see the point of a 2 fight series. As others have said what happens if the first fight is completely one sided? Or if they split it 1-1? Surely they then need a rubber match and your back to square one having to decide where they fight the decider.

But in who's house? And what if Froch has a playstation and isn't used to the xbox controller?

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 20 Dec 2011, 7:46 am

paperbag_puncher wrote:
azania wrote:

But in who's house? And what if Froch has a playstation and isn't used to the xbox controller?

They can play it online and use a wii if one is used to a PS controller and the other Xbox. Can you imagine the support Froch's missus will give him?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by trottb Tue 20 Dec 2011, 7:56 am

I think I'd prefer to see a third fight decided by a rock'em sock'em robots fight in Vegas.

I find the whole idea of a home and away 2 fight agreement. There are just too many variables involved. A one sided victory, poor interest, series draws. I also find the home town robbery shouts tend to take a lot of the victory away from the boxers.

I think that there should be more emphasis on neutral venues and once again getting boxing exposed to countries that are not traditional fans. It should be down to the boxing associations to decide where fights take place and not fighters.

trottb

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Tue 20 Dec 2011, 8:30 am

I like the thought that there are people in sport that are looking at the possibility of something a little different. I'm not totally sure this works but it's a nice idea and worth a try.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Tue 20 Dec 2011, 8:46 am

Not buying the idea that Bute beats Froch 'easily'. If Andrade, one of the most average of super middles can give Bute hell (and knock him out save for the longest 10 count in history) then i'm pretty sure Froch can do the same.

Most fighters will struggle with Ward and his speed, he carrys zero pop in his punches but he's just never there to hit. Bute on the other hand stays there to get hit and i'm just not convinced about him.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue 20 Dec 2011, 8:53 am

im not sold on bute either stay at home fighter who didnt want anything to do with the super 6. not sure who bute has beaten so far to suggest he beats froch easily. bute would not stand a chance away from home against froch for me. if i had to rank the super mids it would be

1. ward
2 .kessler
3. froch
4. bute

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 20 Dec 2011, 8:58 am

But equally Coxy, Bute dealt with Johnson with greater aplomb and easethan Froch did, in what were back to back fights for Road Warrior (I think).

Just watched the Andrade 12th round on YouTube tho, wow, the most cast iron example of home town reffing I've seen in a long time!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 20 Dec 2011, 9:01 am

compelling and rich wrote:
1. ward
2 .kessler
3. froch
4. bute

Agreed. Though I think froch could take Kessler in a neutral/home rematch and leapfrog him into second spot.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 20 Dec 2011, 9:28 am

Gotta to wonder however if the fight is a bit suprising as in Froch ends up having the style to completely do a number on Bute and wipe him out early and not even have it competetive or lets say that Bute is better than most here think and completely schools Froch then what point is there in going to the other guys back yard to do it all again, will the public even be interested?

I would watch, but I'm a hardcore boxing fan!

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue 20 Dec 2011, 9:42 am

froch is always there to be outboxed for me as he's not technically the best, but what he lacks in technique he brings in heart. was always concerned about the ward fight as ward had proven himself capable . bute hasnt proven anything outside of his hometown and even his home record has had a little help along the way. if bute beat froch on points in canada dont see why there shouldnt be a rematch in england, at least we will see whats he's got away from home.

someone argued that they would like to see a kessler rematch in england and i agree with them even though i had kessler winning the first easily enough.

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 20 Dec 2011, 10:05 am

If he soundly outboxes Froch at home why would Froch be able to turn the tide and do something different in the ring next time?

I thought the first Kessler fight was very close in my opinion.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue 20 Dec 2011, 10:10 am

if its a one sided beating then no, but do you really see it going that way? i look at wards style and it was a nightmare for froch. still gave it his all and won a few rounds. dont see bute being anywhere near as good as ward nor his style giving him half as many problems

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 20 Dec 2011, 10:15 am

compelling and rich wrote:if its a one sided beating then no, but do you really see it going that way? i look at wards style and it was a nightmare for froch. still gave it his all and won a few rounds. dont see bute being anywhere near as good as ward nor his style giving him half as many problems

Ward's style seems to be a nightmare for everyone so far.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachine Tue 20 Dec 2011, 10:25 am

Wards style is beatable, however only by a stronger boxer who will instinctively be mid-range - jab and move in, as Ward does. Then on the inside, if they're a southpaw double up on left body shots and force the defense to drop. It'd take 3/4 rounds but eventually he'll start throwing his right more wildly and opening up areas to exploit. While thats happening (and he's clever enough to be conscious of it) he'll forget his jab and use it as a range finder, after that work is done - I imagine it would limit his effectiveness as he moves inside, he'll be an open target. His jab changes from a fast rockhammer to something he's using to put together punches.

JabMachine

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 20 Dec 2011, 10:53 am

Why would Bute come here? He has a belt and a bigger name than Froch. Sounds like more mindless ramblings from Eddie Hearn.

Ward was Froch's big night and he disappointed every flaw he has was exposed pretty badly. I can't see a name coming over here to fight him.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue 20 Dec 2011, 12:20 pm

not sure why bute is such a bigger name kev, froch has had his name out there fighting the best all around the world. butes fought nowhere with only johnsen as his big name. froch him self said he was walking around usa and getting recognised everywhere, bet if lucien bute walked down the street he wouldnt be recognised

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 20 Dec 2011, 12:25 pm

Bute is big in Canada Froch isn't even big over here. I wouldn't be surprised if it happened but in Canada no chance a top name travels over here to fight Froch.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Wed 21 Dec 2011, 10:55 pm

What was the betting Bute would be eager to fight the loser of the Super 6 final? Slight chance that he catches them cold whomever it was to be.

If the fight(s) does go forward it should be on neutral ground. Froch has fought the bigger names and has travelled to do so while Bute has been encrusted in his backyard fighting a distinctly inferior standard of opposition.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Wed 21 Dec 2011, 11:00 pm

I really don't understand all this two fight stuff, and battle for territory and where the fight will take place etc. Two fights is dependent on so many things, and to suggest there may be two fights before they've had one is silly.

Boxing is a sport that is dependent on one fight. One fight to cause an upset, one fight, one moment in one fight to shock the world, achieve a dream, steal the glory. One fight is boxing, it's leaving it all in the ring, it's a KO in the last or first few seconds. One fight means everything to boxing, and if they are talking two it is not good for the sport. It leaks predictability into sport, it gives second comings before the fans have said it is warranted, before the networks and judges and press have spoken.

One fight and if it is a close fight, key word being close, then another. If it is entertaining would also help, but being Froch i expect it will be if the fights are penned by the promoters.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down