The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1872 cup - Edinburgh V Glasgow (aka Scottish trial)

+16
donkeyprop
Cardiff Dave
PenfroPete
Adam D
GLove39
justified sinner
Scot Abroad
21st Century Schizoid Man
ghad
Dorothy_Mantooth
nickj
Tattie Scones RRN
RuggerRadge2611
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Imperialbigdave
RDW
20 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

1872 cup - Edinburgh V Glasgow (aka Scottish trial) - Page 2 Empty 1872 cup - Edinburgh V Glasgow (aka Scottish trial)

Post by RDW Tue 20 Dec 2011, 12:55 pm

First topic message reminder :

Well it is almost upon us - both teams go head to head against their mates in games that not only give points for the league, but also bragging rights and one hand on the Scotland jersey for those that played well.

This years is as mouth watering as always as there are some genuine close calls for Scotland places that may be decided by these games:

Halfbacks

Cusiter-Wier/Jackson vs Blair/Laidlaw

I reckon these will be the halfbacks for both games and whoever performs the best will get the nod for the 6N. Will be surprised if he went for Cusiter/Laidlaw or Blair/Jackson as that would be breaking up established units at club level.

Verdict - split between whoever played at home for winners and losers respectively

Centres

The main rival for the 13 spot for De Luca isn't playing in this game - Ansbro - so he will just be wanting to keep his fine form going and show up well. The 12 battle will be interesting though. If we have Morrison against Scott/King and one of the Edinburgh boys show up much better than him then it could spell the end for Morrison (yay!). Saying that - I'd still go with Schlong over either of them.

Verdict - Even contest

Back 3

I think the two back 3s are very evenly matched. You have the strength of Visser and Lamont and the pure speed and skill of Hogg and Jones. This really is a chance for Jones and Hogg to make their mark as I don't see both of them getting their chance in the 6N at the same time - one or the other. A strong display from R Lamont will help him secure his place.

Verdict Hogg to shine

Backrow

The key to winning and losing IMO. Looks like it will be a shoot out between Beattie and Denton, can Beattie get back to his rampaging best? Likewise can Harley and Mcinally show that they are ready to make the step up?

The battle of the opensides will likely directly determine who starts at 7 for Scotland. If Barclay doesn't perform against Grant or Rennie I can see his place being at threat.

Verdict Edinburgh backrow to win it, Denton and Grant/Rennie to the fore

Side issues - can the Glasgow front row push themselves into contention for 6N bench spots? Will mossy still show that he still has it?

What do you guys think?

Tell you what - can't wait! Yahoo

p.s. you may have noticed that I have joined the dark side and am now a moderator. Don't worry though - I'm yet to see anything serious on the rugby boards so we can still be friends I hope?? Hug

Edinburgh squad

15 Chris Paterson

14 Lee Jones
13 Nick De Luca
12 James King
11 Tim Visser

10 Greig Laidlaw CAPTAIN
9 Mike Blair

1 Allan Jacobsen/Kyle Traynor
2 Ross Ford
3 Geoff Cross
4 Grant Gilchrist
5 Sean Cox
6 David Denton
7 Ross Rennie
8 Netani Talei

Substitutes
16 Alun Walker
17 Kyle Traynor/Robin Hislop
18 Jack Gilding
19 Esteban Lozada
20 Roddy Grant
21 Phil Godman
22 Matt Scott
23 Jim Thompson

Glasgow team

15 Stuart Hogg
14 David Lemi
13 Troy Nathan
12 Graeme Morrison
11 Rory Lamont
10 Duncan Weir
9 Chris Cusiter
1 Ryan Grant
2 Pat MacArthur
3 Mike Cusack
4 Richie Gray
5 Al Kellock
6 Rob Harley
7 John Barclay
8 Johnnie Beattie

SUBSTITUTES
16 Dougie Hall
17 Jon Welsh
18 Moray Low
19 Tom Ryder
20 Henry Pyrgos
21 Chris Fusaro
22 Colin Shaw
23 Ruaridh Jackson

Last edited by RDW_Scotland on Thu 22 Dec 2011, 1:39 pm; edited 4 times in total

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

1872 cup - Edinburgh V Glasgow (aka Scottish trial) - Page 2 Empty Re: 1872 cup - Edinburgh V Glasgow (aka Scottish trial)

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Wed 28 Dec 2011, 9:01 am

Looks like the Firhill game is going to be a sell out. Only a few tickets remaining in the Main Stand.

Pity Glasgow could not get Firhill in proper shape to allow Reserved seating as it looks almost certain to be people wanting to buy tickets but getting told there is none left, only to see empty seats when the game starts!

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

1872 cup - Edinburgh V Glasgow (aka Scottish trial) - Page 2 Empty Re: 1872 cup - Edinburgh V Glasgow (aka Scottish trial)

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 28 Dec 2011, 6:16 pm

George Carlin wrote:Okay, so we're only half way through the double header, but after the first leg, is what we're now suggesting for a XV against England as follows?:

1. Chunk
2. Ford
3. Murray
4. Gray
5. Hamilton
6. Brown
7. Rennie
8. Denton

9. Cusiter
10. Weir
11. Jones
12. King
13. De Luca
14. Rory
15. Hogg

Sean Lamont will play, either in place of King or Jones. I suspect S Lamont will play 12 and Max Evans will play wing, so Jones and King to miss out. Ansbro should be on the bench behind De Luca, or on the wing ahead of Rory Lamont (depending on his injury).

I realise it's a risk, but I agree that Hogg should start at 15. Not sure how much Chris Leck was paid to name CP as MOTM but he wouldn't have made my shortlist of 5.

I like the pack, only question is at 7. I'm not decided on Rennie vs Barclay vs Grant. Hopefully the next fixture will prove helpful.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 28 Dec 2011, 9:38 pm

FES - were you back at home for Christmas and will you now change your 606 username?

Schlong will indeed be a lower risk choice for Robinson at 12 but Max is not playing well for Castres (although to be fair, neither is anyone else in his team) and I think that Jones should get the other wing berth. He did have a feck-awful game at the weekend but on his day he is a beautifully balanced runner and can split a midfield wide open in a way that very few (if any) Scottish broken field runners can.

Quite like the idea of Ansbro on the wing - he's a very bright support line runner who looks for work and if Ramont is once again on the treatment table then I would definitely entertain this.

I think that we have to go with Denton at 8 although McInally would actually be a wonderful wild card (or to put it another way in the head of Andy Robinson, he'll get the shirt the day Satan skates to work).
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2