The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jonny Wilkinson Interview...! Where and Why it didn't happen...

+3
kiakahaaotearoa
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
maestegmafia
7 posters

Go down

Jonny Wilkinson Interview...! Where and Why it didn't happen... Empty Jonny Wilkinson Interview...! Where and Why it didn't happen...

Post by maestegmafia Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:10 am

Former England fly-half Jonny Wilkinson has revealed that he had been thinking about retiring from Test rugby two years before making the final decision.

The 91-cap veteran admitted his frustration at not being able to find his best form in the England environment in recent years which eventually led to the decision to end his international career.

Wilkinson also revealed his frustration at not being able to end his career on a high after England's disastrous World Cup campaign in New Zealand.

Jonny Wilkinson wrote:After the World Cup I wanted to make things better and make things right but I realised that knee-jerk reaction (to carry on) had been lasting about two years, I was thinking about my future in terms of righting wrongs for myself and the team. That feeling had been going on for a long time and was affecting me in quite a profound way.

There was one period, coming off the back of the Australia tour last year, when I had questions about coming back into the England set-up again. I wondered if that was the right time (to quit), but the way I was going at Toulon, there was no way I was ready to let go. I kept thinking, 'Next game it will all come good, next game it will all be amazing'.

With the right conditions and set-up at Toulon I knew I could get the best out of myself. I waited a long time for those conditions with England but it just didn't happen.

It's difficult to pinpoint what the problem was, but it just wasn't right. I was unable to rediscover the environment that I thought could bring the best out of me. I was trying everything to turn it around. I would go back to Toulon and it felt like it all just happened for me. Everything there made sense.

With England it just didn't happen and I'm not pointing the finger at anyone, but that was the situation. In the Six Nations I was coming off the bench so I was seeing what Toby Flood could do for the team -- he brought out the best in those around him and had a real connection with them. Whatever I felt capable of doing on the pitch it didn't matter because it just didn't happen.

I can try to lie and say it doesn't matter but it does matter, I always wanted to go out on a high, but it can't matter too much because it's not all about celebrating a player's career.

Lewis Moody is another guy in the same position - he is someone else who has given everything to the cause. You can't choose the outcome, all you can do is choose how much you put into it."

http://www.planetrugby.com/

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Jonny Wilkinson Interview...! Where and Why it didn't happen... Empty Re: Jonny Wilkinson Interview...! Where and Why it didn't happen...

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:47 am

Typically honest. Hes saying what anyone else could see, he just couldnt hack the pressure of international rugby anymore.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Jonny Wilkinson Interview...! Where and Why it didn't happen... Empty Re: Jonny Wilkinson Interview...! Where and Why it didn't happen...

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:06 am

He´s clearly alluding to Rob Andrew riding his back when he was out on the field and the extra weight slowed him down and made it impossible to play.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:12 am

"Lewis Moody is another guy in the same position - he is someone else who has given everything to the cause. You can't choose the outcome, all you can do is choose how much you put into it."

I love this quote, as what Wilkinson and Moody achieved for England (in terms of silverware and number of caps) was borne out of years of hard work and dedication. Both men put their bodies on the line for their country and both took more than their fair share of injuries. It's a bit sad they couldn't go out with a bang, but they should both be remembered as fantastic servants to English rugby who never gave less than 100%.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:27 am

Johny Wilkinson had given everything over twelve/thirteen years playing for England. he put his bodie on the line more than any other person i can think of who played for England up to 2003 rugby world cup. He should of retired then in my opinion. After 2003 rugby world cup his bodie was just about knackerd.To many injuries to play at the top of the game.

His game got back on track when he moved to toulon, although he was playing good rugby in the French league, he simply did not have what it takes to play like he did in or rather up to 2003 rugby world cup.

It is a shame that it takes a performance like England in 2011 rugby rugby world cup to make him realise that he needs to retire from international rugby.

He was one the best fly halfs in the world, but atlast time and age caught up with him, it is time to step down from the top.

He retires with the greatest respect from every one in the rugby world.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:27 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:Typically honest. Hes saying what anyone else could see, he just couldnt hack the pressure of international rugby anymore.

I though it sounded more like everything clicks when he is surrounded by talented players, though doesn't when without.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:03 am

True he could have done with a decent 12 outside him with england to start with!

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:43 am

Jonny Wilkinson,was one of a number of very good 10`s up until about end 2003.
His tackling was unique for a 10,his goal kicking in the Grant Fox/Andrew Merthens class.
In the era when England had a great side he thrived,since 2003 he has so many injuries.Plus playing for a much inferior England side where he has been in and out.
The enviroment under SCW was ideal,all the players had to do was go out and play.
The recent Eng land set up since those days has been a poisoned chalice.
JW is a consummate Professional,and perhaps too hard on himself.Top14 Rugby is not at the level of Test Rugbytho no less intense.
Toulon despite the Billions of Euros spent on it,are still a mid table French side.They have not achieved there owners goals at least in the silverware dept.
When you consider they have had beside JW,bakkies Botha,TanaUmaga,Andrew Merthens,Victor Matfield,Percy Mont gomery,Carl Hayman,Jerry Collins, John Smit ,etc.
Jonny wants to continue playing,and enjoying his rugby in France,away from the England enviroment.
Well done Jonny,a wise decision now England can develop new players at 10 to back up Flood.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:47 am

gowales wrote:True he could have done with a decent 12 outside him with england to start with!

Aye

Having Greenwood or Catt outside you and a player of Matt Dawsons experience inside you would make international rugby a great deal easier.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:06 am

Or a pack to give you front foot ball and that extra bit of time and space. Let´s not forget that formidable pack in front of him in his glory years.

The backs tend to get the glory but the forwards are at the coalface of that glory.

That said, Wilkinson was a special player and has been a magnificent ambassador of world rugby let alone England rugby. To me though, it is not in a player´s greatest moments that are a true test of character. As phenomenal as that right footed drop kick was under the greatest amount of pressure, to me the true character of Wilkinson was revealed when time and time again he was cruelly set back by injury. He never complained and put his head down and made it back to the top each time. That kind of dedication and determination must take its toll though so it´s no suprise after giving his all he wants to retire on his own terms. The way true greats should always be allowed to have but often not what is the case.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:55 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:Or a pack to give you front foot ball and that extra bit of time and space. Let´s not forget that formidable pack in front of him in his glory years.

The backs tend to get the glory but the forwards are at the coalface of that glory.

That said, Wilkinson was a special player and has been a magnificent ambassador of world rugby let alone England rugby. To me though, it is not in a player´s greatest moments that are a true test of character. As phenomenal as that right footed drop kick was under the greatest amount of pressure, to me the true character of Wilkinson was revealed when time and time again he was cruelly set back by injury. He never complained and put his head down and made it back to the top each time. That kind of dedication and determination must take its toll though so it´s no suprise after giving his all he wants to retire on his own terms. The way true greats should always be allowed to have but often not what is the case.

I agree that pack were a he'll of a spectacle, little went against them.

I think he is admired for his platitude and candour. That will serve his memory well.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down