The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone know why Jonny Wilkinson cups his hands while taking a kick at goal?

+15
mystiroakey
munkian
BigTrevsbigmac
lostinwales
Submachine
charliehesketh
Pal Joey
GloriousEmpire
Taylorman
DeludedOptimistorjustDave
yappysnap
Biltong
Cyril
Scratch
GunsGerms
19 posters

Go down

Anyone know why Jonny Wilkinson cups his hands while taking a kick at goal? Empty Anyone know why Jonny Wilkinson cups his hands while taking a kick at goal?

Post by GunsGerms Mon 24 Mar 2014, 7:29 pm

Apparently he imagines there is a small pool of water in his hands and he waits until the pool is completely still and then he takes the kick. Interesting?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Anyone know why Jonny Wilkinson cups his hands while taking a kick at goal? Empty Re: Anyone know why Jonny Wilkinson cups his hands while taking a kick at goal?

Post by Scratch Mon 24 Mar 2014, 7:39 pm

What if it's raining?

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Anyone know why Jonny Wilkinson cups his hands while taking a kick at goal? Empty Re: Anyone know why Jonny Wilkinson cups his hands while taking a kick at goal?

Post by GunsGerms Mon 24 Mar 2014, 7:58 pm

Haha. Great question.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Mon 24 Mar 2014, 8:08 pm

Given that he's a practising Buddhist I would have thought it made perfect sense zen 

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 24 Mar 2014, 8:14 pm

I suppose he doesn't have sweaty hands, that would be a major stumbling block, eh?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 24 Mar 2014, 9:24 pm

What was Helfpenny's motto when he kicked?

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Mon 24 Mar 2014, 9:27 pm

yappysnap wrote:What was Helfpenny's motto when he kicked?

Put the penny in the slot.

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 24 Mar 2014, 9:27 pm

He took his scrumcap off and kept the water in there.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by DeludedOptimistorjustDave Mon 24 Mar 2014, 9:33 pm

Al Murray reckons he is pulling a pint.

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue 25 Mar 2014, 12:20 am

How does explain Quade Coopers two hands to the side thing?

Is it from his old cinema job in Tokoroa ushering folks to their seats..."This way ladies" and kicks when they're gone?

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Tue 25 Mar 2014, 1:15 am

Aaron Cruden merely waits until the Irish line is completely still before he kicks.

Often the second time around.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 25 Mar 2014, 4:45 am

Taylorman wrote:How does explain Quade Coopers two hands to the side thing?

Is it from his old cinema job in Tokoroa ushering folks to their seats..."This way ladies" and kicks when they're gone?

It is an imaginary bucket with water in, to keep balance. Wink
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 25 Mar 2014, 4:53 am

GunsGerms wrote:Apparently he imagines there is a small pool of water in his hands and he waits until the pool is completely still and then he takes the kick. Interesting?

Cool, often wondered about that. Springs to mind that movie Inception. If the water doesn't settle, he's in a dream, or a dream within a dream. Or worse, in limbo, like the spectators waiting an eternity for him to kick the flipping ball!

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue 25 Mar 2014, 8:05 am

Which kicker visualises an extra large 'holograph' of his wife above the centre of the crossbar and aims the land the ball in the centre of her jugs?
I thought that was Jonny. No wonder he hardly ever misses the Missus.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by charliehesketh Tue 25 Mar 2014, 12:46 pm

Don't really want to think what Nick Evans is doing ....

charliehesketh

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 25 Mar 2014, 12:53 pm

my favourite one are those kickers who give the goal posts the deathstare.

I think the ball is too afraid to miss, and I have on occasion seen the poles bend towards the ball to keep it in.

You could at times be forgiven for thinking the posts are dancing along to YMCA
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Tue 25 Mar 2014, 12:59 pm

Taylorman wrote:How does explain Quade Coopers two hands to the side thing?

Always reminds me of Snagglepuss.
"Exit... stage left even

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 25 Mar 2014, 1:05 pm

Biltong wrote:my favourite one are those kickers who give the goal posts the deathstare.

I think the ball is too afraid to miss, and I have on occasion seen the poles bend towards the ball to keep it in.

Owen Farrell?

I reckon Sexton might need to hold a little pond in his hands for his kicking to improve at this stage.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue 25 Mar 2014, 1:05 pm

Biltong wrote:my favourite one are those kickers who give the goal posts the deathstare.

Owen Farrell Zombie stare  laughing (mind you he seems to have toned it down a bit this year)

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Tue 25 Mar 2014, 1:25 pm

Stephen Myler must have the scariest face when he kicks. Almost Zombie - like the way he turns his eyes up into his forehead.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 25 Mar 2014, 1:31 pm

Argentinian who played/plays(?) for Exeter, like a zombie going through the vinegar strokes
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 25 Mar 2014, 1:55 pm

Yeah, couldn't remember who had the best deathstare, but you are quite right, the Farrell Stare.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 25 Mar 2014, 2:04 pm

pre shot routine- its mental preparation. think what golfers do

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 25 Mar 2014, 2:24 pm

Never seen a golfer stare at a pin in that manner, no Sir.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 25 Mar 2014, 2:25 pm

Colin Montgomery maybe.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 25 Mar 2014, 2:37 pm

Biltong wrote:Never seen a golfer stare at a pin in that manner, no Sir.

Its not about the actual physical action. Its about the mental preparation/ repetitive action before the kick or strike

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 25 Mar 2014, 2:40 pm

Maybe thats why Wilko and Sexton have used the same kicking coach as Harrington and Luke Donald have practice coach. Dave Alred.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 25 Mar 2014, 2:44 pm

You will notice with the best golfers from the start of set up to hitting the ball they will allways be a very similar time frame- sort of like a 9-11 second range and they will never waiver from that. and what ever waggle etc they use will allways be the same.

JW obviously does it differently and its not about a specific set of time but still none the less a mental preparation before the kick

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 25 Mar 2014, 2:48 pm

Bubba just hits it doesnt he? Who is going to win the Masters this year mystiroakey? It starts soon doesnt it?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 25 Mar 2014, 2:52 pm

some players like bubba or cabrerra just crush it and play off feel only.

really tough to work it out mate. A lot of young american rookies are flying at the moment. Tiger may not be fit. Rors hasn't hit his prime form.. One of the english contingent will be here or there abouts but probably fall short as allways.. The saffas normally do ok as well.

Adam scott or justin rose is a good each way bet.

top 10 bet you cant go wrong with donald or poulter.

a decent outsider top 10 harris english and jordan speith

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by DeludedOptimistorjustDave Tue 25 Mar 2014, 7:17 pm

Ian keatley looks like he just keeps muttering "sausage and chips" when lining up a kick.

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Tue 25 Mar 2014, 7:37 pm

i dred to think what rob cook is thinking!

Anyone know why Jonny Wilkinson cups his hands while taking a kick at goal? 9k=

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by charliehesketh Tue 25 Mar 2014, 7:45 pm

nathan wrote:i dred to think what rob cook is thinking!

Anyone know why Jonny Wilkinson cups his hands while taking a kick at goal? 9k=

Yes - bizarre - and imagine doing that in front of the shed !

charliehesketh

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue 25 Mar 2014, 9:27 pm

to think it all started when Foxy did the little finger shakes until they stopped...its morphed into all sorts of potential 'Twister' configurations...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 26 Mar 2014, 9:46 am

I loved Neil Jenkins routine. It was so precise, so mechanical, so consistent. As a teenager I always copied him. I think he was the best kicker of his time.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 26 Mar 2014, 9:52 am

Fortunately I never had to kick for goal, (short hamstrings) Wink
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Londoner Wed 26 Mar 2014, 4:12 pm

GunsGerms wrote:Colin Montgomery maybe.

Monty stared at everything (and everyone) like that.

Irish Londoner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Thu 27 Mar 2014, 12:25 pm

why does owen farrell man sausage his head to one side . reminds me of a dog trying to understand you

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 27 Mar 2014, 1:17 pm

jimmyinthewell68 wrote: why does owen farrell man sausage his head to one side . reminds me of a dog trying to understand you

Laugh 
Yeah, he's like some collie cross trying to size up the edibleness of a biscuit in the hands of his owner... way, way across the field.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Thu 27 Mar 2014, 1:52 pm

GunsGerms wrote:

Owen Farrell?

I reckon Sexton might need to hold a little pond in his hands for his kicking to improve at this stage.

I think Farrell seems more to sneak a look up out of the corner of his eye, in case the posts see him looking at them.
Bit sneaky.
He kicks when he thinks they are looking the other way.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down