The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ospreys 17 - 12 Cardiff Blues

+25
Morgannwg
Seagultaf
Breadvan
Knowsit17
mckay1402
Cymroglan
glamorganalun
rodders
flyhalffactory
wayne
Shifty
Ospreydragon
Glas a du
gavstar
gowales
CurlyOsp
Casartelli
Artful_Dodger
TBJ9625
Cari
Smirnoffpriest
doctornickolas
wales606
dogtooth
maestegmafia
29 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Whos Gonna Win then ...?

Ospreys 17 - 12 Cardiff Blues  Vote_lcap55%Ospreys 17 - 12 Cardiff Blues  Vote_rcap 55% 
[ 12 ]
Ospreys 17 - 12 Cardiff Blues  Vote_lcap45%Ospreys 17 - 12 Cardiff Blues  Vote_rcap 45% 
[ 10 ]
Ospreys 17 - 12 Cardiff Blues  Vote_lcap0%Ospreys 17 - 12 Cardiff Blues  Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 22

Poll closed

Ospreys 17 - 12 Cardiff Blues  Empty Ospreys 17 - 12 Cardiff Blues

Post by maestegmafia Wed 28 Dec 2011, 4:21 pm

For Ospreys:
Try: Bowe
Pen: Morgan 2, Biggar 2

For Cardiff Blues:
Pen: Halfpenny 3
Drop: Parks

Ospreys: 15 Barry Davies, 14 Tommy Bowe, 13 Andrew Bishop, 12 Ashley Beck, 11 Shane Williams/Hanno Dirksen, 10 Matthew Morgan, 9 Kahn Fotuali'i, 8 George Stowers, 7 Justin Tipuric (Capt), 6 James King, 5 Jonathan Thomas, 4 Ryan Jones, 3 Adam Jones, 2 Richard Hibbard, 1 Ryan Bevington.
Replacements: 16 Huw Bennett, 17 Duncan Jones, 18 Aaron Jarvis, 19 Tom Smith, 20 Joe Bearman, 21 Rhys Webb, 22 Dan Biggar, 23 Tom Isaacs.

Cardiff Blues: 15 Gavin Henson, 14 Leigh Halfpenny, 13 Casey Laulala, 12 Gavin Evans, 11 Alex Cuthbert, 10 Ceri Sweeney, 9 Lloyd Williams, 8 Xavier Rush, 7 Josh Navidi, 6 Maama Molitika, 5 Paul Tito (c), 4 Bradley Davies, 3 Scott Andrews, 2 Ryan Tyrell, 1 John Yapp.
Replacements: 16 Marc Breeze, 17 Sam Hobbs, 18 Ryan Harford ,19 Michael Paterson, 20 Sam Warburton, 21 Richie Rees, 22 Dan Parks, 23 Harry Robinson.

Referee: Nigel Owens

Ospreys reapplied the pressure on Leinster at the PRO12 summit after defeating Cardiff Blues 17-12 in their Welsh derby clash on Sunday.

Indiscipline from the Blues during the opening exchanges gifted Ospreys an early lead. Matthew Morgan was on target twice with the boot in the first four minutes to give the home side a 6-0 lead.

The Blues rallied, however, and were back on level terms before the end of the first period, courtesy of two accurately struck penalties from Leigh Halfpenny.

Neither side was able to cross the whitewash before the interval or further trouble the scorers, meaning there was nothing between the two Welsh rivals when the whistle blew for half time.

Ospreys crossed the whitewash and delivered the game's first try ten minutes into the second half, when the ball was worked right straight from the scrum and Tommy Bowe crashed over. The conversion was missed but the hosts held an 11-6 lead.

The Blues reduced the deficit to just two points when Halfpenny struck for the third time after Ospreys had infringed at the ruck.

Then, after the home side missed a penalty, Cardiff kicked a drop-goal. The ball was flung from the ruck to the poised Dan Parks, who made no mistake from 20 metres out to give his side the lead.

But the slender advantage was cancelled out on 72 minutes when substitute Dan Biggar slotted over a penalty after Cardiff had infringed at the ruck.

Then, as the Blues desperately searched for a way back in to the game, Biggar cemented the win with a second penalty in the dying seconds.

Last edited by maestegmafia on Sun 01 Jan 2012, 8:50 pm; edited 8 times in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Ospreys 17 - 12 Cardiff Blues  Empty Re: Ospreys 17 - 12 Cardiff Blues

Post by dogtooth Wed 28 Dec 2011, 4:26 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/16306702.stm

jonhson is talking up the blues, possibly in the hopes of getting the fans to come out in force and help the Os getting a home win.

sounds like he's running scared to me. i can see a great away win for the blues coming up. i think henson should get a start in this match so he can show the blues that he is now their man. watching henson score against the Os would be almost as good as watching ceri score against the drags.

should be a good game, but an away tbp always does make for a good game

mo2
dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 28 Dec 2011, 4:33 pm

It will be interesting to see how Henson goes against his old club at his old home pitch...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 28 Dec 2011, 4:36 pm

Should be a few good match ups though, Tuperic vs Warburton will be interesting, Hibbard vs Rhys Thomas.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed 28 Dec 2011, 6:50 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Should be a few good match ups though, Tuperic vs Warburton will be interesting, Hibbard vs Rhys Thomas.

I havent been impressed with Hibbard recently, but TRThomas as been in great form for a year now, just as well as he is our only competent Hooker.

Warburton is very much in the McCaw mould, whereas Tipuric is Martyn Williams mkII - So it will depend greatly on how the game is played.

Personally, I think Henson vs Beck will be an interesting battle if Henson is put at 12 as I expect.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 28 Dec 2011, 7:05 pm

Wales 606 I agree about Rhys thomas, he's been in great form. Thought Warburton had been a bit quiet recently, as had the rest of the Blues Backrow.

I don't know who will be in the Ospreys backrow...! We seem to pick a different three each game. I presume that Ian Evans is out and as Goughie is banned, for getting punched in the crackers by some idiot in the HEC, so i presume jon Thomas and AN Other will partner at lock.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed 28 Dec 2011, 8:06 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Wales 606 I agree about Rhys thomas, he's been in great form. Thought Warburton had been a bit quiet recently, as had the rest of the Blues Backrow.

Warburton got MOTM a couple of weeks ago against Edinburgh - He wasnt as good the following week because the Blues played a stupid gameplan that nullified their own players. Warburton has still won some great penalties on the flaw in his last 2 games.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 28 Dec 2011, 11:07 pm

No doubting the lad is a real talent. Looking forward to seeing him this weekend. THe wings could also be a good area for confrontation. Shane Williams against the big man Cuthbert, Tommy Bowe vs Leigh Halfpenny...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed 28 Dec 2011, 11:16 pm

maestegmafia wrote:No doubting the lad is a real talent. Looking forward to seeing him this weekend. THe wings could also be a good area for confrontation. Shane Williams against the big man Cuthbert, Tommy Bowe vs Leigh Halfpenny...!

1/2p will be at FB I suspect

Hewitt will/should feel hard done by, but I think Henson will play 12 if Roberts is out - Hewitt probably deserves to start, but Henson has more potential and wants to play 12. Czekaj should be back this week to play 11/14

Blues line-up will likely be

1. Gethin Jenkins
2. T Rhys Thomas (hopefully will be fit)
3. Scott Andrews (deserves to start, but Filise might start to combat the O's scrum)
4. Bradley Davies
5. Paul Tito
6. Michael Paterson
7. Sam Warburton
8. Xavier Rush
9. Lloyd Williams
10. Dan Parks/Ceri Sweeney (Really dont know which will play, Parks is still the HC 10 though)
11. Chris Czeckaj
12. Gavin Henson
13. Casey Laulaula
14. Alex Cuthbert
15. Leigh Halfpenny

16. John Yapp
17. Fau Filise
18. Ryan Tyrell (did well last week, lineout an issue)
19. Mamma Molitika
20. Josh Navidi
21. Ritchie Rees
22. Dan Parks/Ceri Sweeney
23. Gavin Evans (only ahead of Hewitt as he is 'wing cover', though I would prefer Hewitt - he's a better centre)
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 28 Dec 2011, 11:25 pm

Tom James has moved down the pecking order a bit eh...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 29 Dec 2011, 9:25 am

Ospreys prop Adam Jones has handed Welsh rugby a New Year boost with the news his neck injury was not as serious as first feared.

Jones was forced off the field in the Ospreys 22-14 Boxing Day derby defeat to the Scarlets which raised concerns about his availability for next year’s Six Nations campaign.

But Ospreys official have insisted Jones could be in line to face the Blues at the Liberty Stadium on New Year’s Day if he passes a fitness test later this week.

Ospreys head physio Chris Towers said; “Adam suffered a minor muscle spasm and we remain hopeful about his prospects of being available for selection on New Year’s Day, subject to him undergoing a fitness test later in the week.”

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/rugby-news/2011/12/28/prop-adam-jones-hands-wales-a-boost-with-neck-injury-news-91466-30026091/#ixzz1hujlqdFT

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 29 Dec 2011, 9:29 am

Warburton was given his marching orders by Irish referee Alain Rolland for a tip tackle on Vincent Clerc.

Sam Warburton wrote:When I think about the World Cup it is still the red card that comes up first, which is disappointing really because there were so many other good memories,” said Warburton.

What kills me is the ‘what if’ question.

You never know what would have happened.

People say Wales would definitely have won with 15 players, but it’s impossible to say and no-one will ever know.

I felt like I let down all the players, almost every Welsh person would have been watching that game and I thought, ‘What does everyone think now, have I thrown it away?

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/cardiff-blues/2011/12/29/wales-captain-sam-warburton-still-haunted-by-that-red-card-91466-30026229/#ixzz1hukOskRP

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 29 Dec 2011, 10:19 am

Ospreys Team is likely to be

15. Barry Davies
14. Tommy Bowe
13. Andrew Bishop
12. Ashley Beck
11. Shane Williams
10. Dan Biggar
9. Kahn Fotuali'i
8. Joe Bearman
7. Justin Tuperic (c)
6. Tom Smith
5. Jonathon Thomas
4. Ryan Jones
3. Adam Jones
2. Richard Hibbard
1. Paul James

Bench:

16. Duncan Jones/Ryan Bevington
17. Huw Bennet
18. Aaron Jarvis
19. James King
20. George Stowers
21. Rhys Webb
22. Matthew Morgan
23. Hanno Dirksen

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by doctornickolas Thu 29 Dec 2011, 12:08 pm

Anyone know how the ticket sales are going for this.

Thinking of going down but not if I am the only one...

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 29 Dec 2011, 1:30 pm

Tommy Bowe wrote:

This is my fourth year here and you can really see how big these derby matches are to people in the region, not just hardcore supporters but to the wider public really. I've really bought into that in my time in Wales, you can see how passionate the players are about these derby matches, and how much it means to the public.

You can see it when you walk down the road. You win one of these derbies and you'll have everybody patting you on the back, if you lose they are giving you dirty looks. They don't hide their feelings, good or bad, so we all know what the results mean in terms of local pride.

It's important for after the loss last weekend to give the fans some of that pride back and get one up over the Blues. It's New Year's Day, a time when supporters look forward to getting to the game and enjoying a special atmosphere, and we want to ensure that the occasion matches their expectations. There'll be two strong, well matched teams up against each other, it's going to be a cracker."

The two rivals come into the game after enjoying differing fortunes last weekend, the Blues winning their pre-Christmas derby at home to the Dragons before the Scarlets ended the Ospreys long unbeaten run in that particular fixture, but Bowe is predicting an exciting game at the Liberty this time around:

It's going to be an entertaining match, it always is between these teams" he insisted.

Blues will be happy with their win over the Dragons last week and will come down here confident. We're obviously disappointed about the way it's gone, that goes without saying really. We've had three big games, and in every game we've had opportunities that we didn't take. At the weekend, particularly in the second half, we should have done better. We worked hard after the break to get ourselves back into the game and into a position where we possibly would have been expected to kick-on.

We were looking good for a spell, looking sharp, but there were a few errors, a penalty or two, and they managed to get their noses that wee bit further in front again To let it slip wasn't good and we aren't happy about it but we have to remain positive. It's very frustrating. The good thing about having these derby games back-to-back like this means we can't dwell on anything, we have to get our heads together and get back at it.

We've got another massive game this weekend now against a very good Blues team and we'll be working hard to get ourselves back to winning ways again. The Scarlets had the benefit of a full house and in these Welsh derbies, any big game, a strong home crowd can make a big difference.

It's a massive game for us. As players we need to concentrate on our own game at the moment, not what they've done in recent weeks. It's a Welsh derby which brings it's own pressures, but we've got work to do to get our own game in order. We don't want to think about losing four games on the bounce, particularly with two of them against Welsh sides. It's very important that we get back to winning ways, particularly so that our supporters can be proud of us. We want to start 2012 on a high."

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 29 Dec 2011, 1:34 pm

doctornickolas wrote:Anyone know how the ticket sales are going for this.

Thinking of going down but not if I am the only one...

I was just trying to book for five tickets and couldnt get a group together. Looks like tickets are selling fast for both East and West stands.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 29 Dec 2011, 2:11 pm

"The Blues are actually dropping many of their Galactico players fr the match. Warby and Roberts are definately out, Geth and Bradley also likely to be rested."

That's what the Blues forum has to say.

I will be disappointed if we do play a second string, as our first team has hardly played together this year.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu 29 Dec 2011, 2:19 pm

The Blues website is awful there's not one bit of information about the Ospreys game on there - besides the fixture list. - you click on RaboDirect News and the newest piece of news is from July.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 29 Dec 2011, 2:33 pm

It looks as though the Ospreys kept their Website technician working during the Holiday Period while the Blues gave theirs time off...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 29 Dec 2011, 3:45 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:The Blues website is awful there's not one bit of information about the Ospreys game on there - besides the fixture list. - you click on RaboDirect News and the newest piece of news is from July.

Probably because there is no news at the moment - The teams havent been announced
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu 29 Dec 2011, 3:50 pm

But there's not even a mention of the game - and it's probably the biggest derby game for the Blues for the whole season. And I content manage a website (albeit a very small one) and it doesn't take much to add news stories on via the CMS system - you can do it from home in half and hour or less.

Compare that to the Ospreys which has interviews from the players and a profile on the game. Or the Scarlets website building up to the Ospreys game and the Dragons game then it's quite poor.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 29 Dec 2011, 5:24 pm

Weird eh...!

And it was the Blues who were asking the WRU to assist the regions with marketing recently...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Thu 29 Dec 2011, 7:23 pm

I'd love to go but getting there would be a booger on New Years Day. raspberry

Anyway, up the O's!!

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu 29 Dec 2011, 9:46 pm

Yes but the other regions seem to manage ok, and other clubs with smaller budgets seem to do the marketing as well as manage the running costs.
you have to ask about the business nouse of a club which had a (reported) wage bill of £4m 2 seasons ago yet can't afford to properly maintain a website.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 29 Dec 2011, 11:01 pm

I reckon Ospreys will turn up for this one and win it well in a typical Osprey fashion they will leave their fans wondering why they don't play like that week in week out.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 30 Dec 2011, 9:22 am

I have been waiting for the Ospreys first team to turn up for games for ages and they don't I cant see why this one would be any different, that said Blues are little different.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 30 Dec 2011, 9:28 am

Ryan Jones wrote:
It's been a very difficult time for us. We don't often lose three consecutive matches and understandably we're all hurting at the moment. If you look at all three games, we haven't been that far off it, we've been competitive in every game and been a dropped pass or a wrong option away from overturning the scoreline.

It's incredibly frustrating for us as players, it really is, we are desperate to do well for the region, just as the fans are desperate for us to win, and we are working hard every day to get it right. The good thing is we aren't talking about major issues, it's about individual errors, accuracy, and needing to be more clinical.

We know the areas we've fallen down, and we have to put them right. We can't just talk about it though, we have to be true to our word and dig in as a team to get it right. What better way to bounce back than with a win over Cardiff Blues at the Liberty?

It's tradition isn't it, Christmas rugby and local derbies? It makes for fantastic occasions and a great day out for fans, with family and friends, enjoying the game. It's a time when people come together, meet up, and enjoy the company and the camaraderie of rugby and I think it's something special.

You'll get families that are divided, with members supporting both sides, and people think it's great to get out of the house and really enjoy themselves at the big game. It's one of the sacrifices that professional sportspeople have to make, as players we have to have maybe quieter Christmas and New Year celebrations, but if I was a fan and not a player I know that I'd be looking forward to going to the Liberty and enjoying a beer at the game.

Hopefully we'll have the crowd and the atmosphere to match Boxing Day, and we'll be aiming to start New Year with a bang."

Different things motivate people, get them up for the game, but that's definitely a factor when it comes to a game like this" he explained.

I'm a bit long in the tooth nowadays but that's definitely a factor. The guys know each other well, we know what's at stake in terms of the derby match and beating your rivals, which makes the fans happy, and I suppose there is an element of getting in a good performance against your international rival in front of the Wales coaches who'll be watching.

These games have a massive intensity. Anybody watching on Boxing Day would have seen that for themselves. That we lost wasn't down to a lack of effort and everybody was feeling sore and bruised afterwards. It's a difficult place to go and play against a good team, and unfortunately, we just couldn't get the win. We left ourselves with a little bit too much to do and indiscipline allowed them to go and get a couple of late penalties that took the game away from us.

There was a big crowd and a good atmosphere, their noisy fans just gave them an edge, which is what the derby matches are all about, and which is why it's so important that we can create that kind of atmosphere at home, to help us get through tight games.

Matches between us and the Blues invariably turn out to be great games, there are some quality players on both teams. They are exciting matches to be involved in or to watch as a fan and I wouldn't expect this one to be any different.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 30 Dec 2011, 1:18 pm

Shane Williams will undergo a late fitness test on a shoulder injury

Ian Gough is suspended

The following players were not considered because of injury:

Ian Evans - Ankle

Richard Fussell - Ankle

Ben John - Groin

Joe Rees - Hamstring

James Goode - Back

Alun Wyn Jones - Foot

Gareth Owen - ACL

Nikki Walker - ACL

Scott Johnson wrote:

It's a big game against the Blues and another test for us as a group. We're up against a team of international players who have been in outstanding form and will believe that they can come to our patch and get a result.

Of course we were disappointed to miss out against the Scarlets but that doesn't mean there's been long faces in training this week. The prospect of another derby against such a good team, in front of our own fantastic fans, has made sure of that. There are guys in the team who were pretty down on Boxing Day, that's only natural, they are human beings who are passionate about this region and the defeat hurt them, but the good thing is that hurt is driving them on to do better this weekend.

We've had a good few days in training, the spirit is good and there's a determination to go out and do the right thing for the cause. No doubt the Blues will make it tough for us, it should be a cracker, but if we make that pass stick, eradicate the unforced errors, make that tackle, then we can get our performance level where it needs to be. If we do that, with our fans really getting behind the team, then it could be derby to remember."

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 30 Dec 2011, 1:21 pm

15 Barry Davies, 14 Tommy Bowe, 13 Andrew Bishop, 12 Ashley Beck, 11 Shane Williams/Hanno Dirksen, 10 Matthew Morgan, 9 Kahn Fotuali'i, 1 Ryan Bevington, 2 Richard Hibbard, 3 Adam Jones, 4 Ryan Jones, 5 Jonathan Thomas, 6 James King, 7 Justin Tipuric (Capt), 8 George Stowers

Replacements: 16 Huw Bennett, 17 Duncan Jones, 18 Aaron Jarvis, 19 Tom Smith, 20 Joe Bearman, 21 Rhys Webb, 22 Dan Biggar, 23 Tom Isaacs.

Matthew Morgan picked ahead of Dan Biggar and a shake up to the backrow with King and Stowers coming into the team.

Very interesting.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 30 Dec 2011, 1:23 pm

Blues name side for Ospreys clash
The Blues have made five changes for their match against the Ospreys on New Year's Day.

There is one change in the backs with Gavin Evans starting at inside centre in place of Dafydd Hewitt, who is out with a hamstring injury.
Meanwhile there are two changes in the backrow with Josh Navidi and Maama Molitika both starting, Sam Warburton and Michael Paterson moving to the bench. The second row in unchanged but the Blues start with two new props: Scott Andrews and John Yapp both starting in place of Taufa'ao Filise, who is out with a shoulder injury, and Gethin Jenkins who is out with illness.

Jamie Roberts was not available for selection having suffered a knee injury in the win against the Dragons, however, he should be available for selection for the Heineken Cup match against London Irish. Chris Czekaj, Richard Mustoe and Tom James were also unavailable for selection with hamstring injuries but should all should be available in the next week or so.

The Ospreys have slipped to three straight defeats in all competitions, but are unbeaten in three of their last four games in the RaboDirect PRO12 and the Blues know it will be a difficult match against Scott Johnson's men, having recorded just one victory over Ospreys in their last four encounters. Their only previous win on Ospreys soil was 28-9 on their first visit to Liberty Stadium on 22 December 2005.

However the Blues have won four of their last five fixtures in the RaboDirect PRO12 and go into the match on the back of a convincing win against the Dragons.
Cardiff Blues 15 Gavin Henson 14 Leigh Halfpenny 13 Casey Laulala 12 Gavin Evans 11 Alex Cuthbert 10 Ceri Sweeney 9 Lloyd Williams
8 Xavier Rush 7 Josh Navidi 6 Maama Molitika 5 Paul Tito (c) 4 Bradley Davies 3 Scott Andrews 2 Ryan Tyrell 1 John Yapp
16 Marc Breeze 17 Sam Hobbs 18 Ryan Harford 19 Michael Paterson 20 Sam Warburton 21 Richie Rees 22 Dan Parks 23 Harry Robinson

Not available due to injury
Chris Czekaj - hamstring
Jamie Roberts - knee
Richard Mustoe - hamstring
Dafydd Hewitt - hamstring
Gethin Jenkins - illness
Thomas Rhys Thomas - shoulder
Taufa'ao Filise - shoulder
James Down - ankle
Andries Pretorius - knee
Deiniol Jones - shoulder
Martyn Williams - arm
Kristian Dacey - shoulder

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by TBJ9625 Fri 30 Dec 2011, 1:32 pm

Still don't understand why young Rhys Webb is on the bench??? Morgan could get mullered if Fotuali'i persists in delivering slow ball.
TBJ9625
TBJ9625

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 30 Dec 2011, 1:37 pm

Morgan is a bit brighter and more instinctive than Biggar. That said he could well get "mullered". I am sure Nalvidi will be looking to pressure him, as will Molitika who is a very big hitter...

could be a blood bath if his toes don't twinkle.

Fotuali'i might have had a kick up the backside regarding his pace, he was not slow for the Samoans or the Crusaders previous to his Osprey career.

That said, I am incredibly happy to see Matthew Morgan paying ahead of Biggar, it may not be tactical, just resting Biggar, but Morgan deserves so much more than just the closing five minutes of a lost game.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri 30 Dec 2011, 2:07 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
Not available due to injury
Chris Czekaj - hamstring
Jamie Roberts - knee
Richard Mustoe - hamstring
Dafydd Hewitt - hamstring
Gethin Jenkins - illness
Thomas Rhys Thomas - shoulder
Taufa'ao Filise - shoulder
James Down - ankle
Andries Pretorius - knee
Deiniol Jones - shoulder
Martyn Williams - arm
Kristian Dacey - shoulder

*gulp* That's a lot of injuries...
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 30 Dec 2011, 2:33 pm

I know, was pretty surprised myself. Chris Czekaj, Jamie Roberts, Richard Mustoe, Dafydd Hewitt are all minor mid season injuries should heal quickly and Gethin Jenkins has Flu so not too bad...

Take those lads out the list and it isnt any different to most teams sick notes.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Fri 30 Dec 2011, 2:36 pm

Regarding the article title - I thought Biggar's career was over the day he deliberately touched down in the corner to make his own conversion more difficult - only to then miss the conversion.

The levels of stupidity involved in Biggar's decision to do that still haunt me.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 30 Dec 2011, 2:40 pm

Artful_Dodger wrote:Regarding the article title - I thought Biggar's career was over the day he deliberately touched down in the corner to make his own conversion more difficult - only to then miss the conversion.

The levels of stupidity involved in Biggar's decision to do that still haunt me.

That is Hardly an isolated moment of stupidity by him...

Hopefully time and experience will see him improve... Very excited to see what Matthew Morgan can do though...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 30 Dec 2011, 3:28 pm

Leigh Halfpenny wrote:
“Every year since I was young I’ve always kicked on Christmas Day, it’s something that really gives me confidence and a mental edge. I did the same this year. I was down the pitch kicking like I do every Christmas Day.

I had an opportunity [to kick for the Blues vs the Dragons last week] there to do the kicking and I put my hand up for it, I’ve been wanting to take it for a while. I was pretty nervous on the first one having not kicked in matches for a while. But, once I got my first one, I felt I was getting back into it and I was really pleased to be doing it.

When I’m taking the kicking, I feel I get into the games more and that’s where my confidence comes from. I feel the kicking brings the rest of my game out, with that energy and that confidence. So for me it’s massive. I’d love to do the kicking duties on a full-times basis in the future rather than just stepping up for the long ones. I thoroughly enjoyed it the other night and it allows me to bring the rest of my game in.

I love playing full-back. I find a bit more space there and it allows me to bring more of my game in, but going back on the wing is pretty easy. I played there for a long time and they are pretty similar positions. I really enjoy full-back, but if I’m playing on the wing I really enjoy that as well, as long as I get plenty of ball.

Losing in Edinburgh the week before was hugely disappointing for us, but the character the boys showed and the way they bounced back was excellent. We managed to get two tries in the first half, including one on the break, which was important. We nearly let them back in with a couple of penalties, but towards the end of the game it felt quite comfortable out there. We like to throw the ball around and play some good rugby and I think we did that at times. Most of the time we got into their 22 we came away with points and we need to do that looking forward to the next game.

It was great to have a win and it allowed us to enjoy the Christmas period before getting back to work this week. After that performance, we are confident going down to the Ospreys.

We know it’s going to be tough in their backyard, but it’s another derby, Welsh against each other. It will be good to see some of the boys I spent a lot of time with out in New Zealand at the World Cup and I’m just looking forward to the game. Let’s hope it’s a good match and we can come back to Cardiff with a win.

I’ve only played against Shane once, he’s a guy I’ve always looked up to and I have great respect for him. It will be fun coming up against him. We know he’s a special talent and very dangerous with the ball in hand. So I am going to have to do my homework on him.

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/rugby-news/2011/12/30/cardiff-blues-star-leigh-halfpenny-spends-christmas-day-practising-his-kicking-91466-30030984/#ixzz1i223WAxo

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Fri 30 Dec 2011, 7:07 pm

Artful_Dodger wrote:Regarding the article title - I thought Biggar's career was over the day he deliberately touched down in the corner to make his own conversion more difficult - only to then miss the conversion.

When the mild-mannered Tommy Bowe ran 50 metres to tell Biggar what an immature brat he'd just been? Leaving Biggar pouting like a ... err ... immature brat?

It was funny.

Nipper may be 20 kilos too light to be an international ten (he's crying out to be given game time at 9) - but at least he has genuine talent.

Deserves to stay in the starting XV until the end of the season.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 30 Dec 2011, 7:29 pm

Morgan deserves a bit of time in the shirt, every game he looks better, more accomplished. He may be slight, that may be a luxury but if he can do in the Rabbo or HEC what he acheived in the Premiership then he could be well worth investing in.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 30 Dec 2011, 7:32 pm

I do like Matt Morgan I have to say. I'm a bit concerned that he's paired with Fotuali'i though. Maybe someone will slip something in the scrumhalf's tea to speed things up a bit.... Whistle

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyOsp Fri 30 Dec 2011, 7:56 pm

Casartelli wrote: Nipper may be 20 kilos too light to be an international ten (he's crying out to be given game time at 9) - but at least he has genuine talent.

Why would he be crying out to be played at 9? Morgan's always been a 10. Moving him to unfamiliar positions just to accommodate him wouldn't benifit him or the Ospreys. The last thing we want is another Hook situation.

CurlyOsp

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Fri 30 Dec 2011, 8:49 pm

Good to see Harry Robinson, a very exciting prospect. Next Shane Williams perhaps?

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 30 Dec 2011, 8:56 pm

I agree Harry Robinson is a valuable talent.

Great to see these youngsters out there. Morgan, Robinson both under 20.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by gavstar Sat 31 Dec 2011, 4:39 am

if morgan is a10 he plays 10, never mind who is at 9, same rules for all players, lets get some fair comparisons going. why worry for him and not biggar? Headscratch

hang on, i know, morgan is 'liked' by posters and biggar isn't, start seeing it objectively guys!

gavstar

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Sat 31 Dec 2011, 5:45 am

Thats Welsh supporters for you...

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 31 Dec 2011, 8:50 am

gavstar wrote:if morgan is a10 he plays 10, never mind who is at 9, same rules for all players, lets get some fair comparisons going. why worry for him and not biggar? Headscratch

hang on, i know, morgan is 'liked' by posters and biggar isn't, start seeing it objectively guys!
There is a reason that Biggar isnt liked due to him not being very good.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sat 31 Dec 2011, 9:30 am

Photoshop at 9! Doh
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 31 Dec 2011, 12:28 pm

Will be interesting though to see whether Morgan makes the back play more fluent. He is a far more natural game reader and more skilful than Biggar.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyOsp Sat 31 Dec 2011, 1:13 pm

I like Biggar as a 10. He has brilliant spacial awareness and can take full advantage of it with some superb kicks from hand.

He does seem to have a problem with "trying too hard" making some bad decisions and working himself up when trying to impress a coach or outplay another contender for the Welsh shirt (e.g. Priestland).

Morgan's a crowd pleaser, a running 10 with plenty of flair. Huge potential but still too early.

CurlyOsp

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 31 Dec 2011, 2:43 pm

I think Morgan naturally has more spacial awareness than Biggar. His kicking, passing and running play just looks so easy for him. Biggar always has to think first and it slows down and confuses play to often...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next