The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Era's - Epic Fail

+3
JuliusHMarx
laverfan
legendkillar
7 posters

Go down

Era's - Epic Fail Empty Era's - Epic Fail

Post by legendkillar Wed 28 Dec 2011, 8:15 pm

I can't begin to express my frustration when reading which era was the best or even greatest. Why? Simple. The logic when constructing an argument will always come down to preference. Federer fans will always prefer the era of 2004-2007. Because he was sweeping up title after title. When a player is no longer winning, what is the view? The field is better? No. But the view is 'he is not at his best'

Nadal fans will talk about the 2010 achievements, whilst are only resident Djokovic fan will clearly argue the year of 2011 was the best. As a Murray fan, but mostly a fan of tennis I find myself drawn to the current crop as the best. Why? Simply if someone like John McEnroe can rate Djokovic's season above his own given that McEnroe defeated players such as Lendl, Connors and Wilander in that season and with Djokovic who defeated players such as Federer, Nadal and Murray in his season. Bear this in mind. McEnroe played 135 matches that season, including doubles. Djokovic played 84 matches including doubles. McEnroe nearly played double the amount of matches that Djokovic played and cast aside conds, technology and player conditioning, McEnroe rates Djokovic's higher.

Does anyone want to disagree with Big Mac?

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Era's - Epic Fail Empty Re: Era's - Epic Fail

Post by laverfan Wed 28 Dec 2011, 9:20 pm

McEnroe developed a soft-spot for Djokovic after being asked to come out of the commentary box to hit a few balls. Wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8gbgse0WsY

I still think the 1984 season is a tremendous achievement for McEnroe.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Wed 28 Dec 2011, 9:27 pm

He did indeed LF.

I remember that hit around he had with Djokovic in 2010

I think the McEnroe 84 season was amazing. I think he is incredibly modest to regard Djokovic's season as more impressive and difficult to his 84 season.

I think all the talk of era's and it's quality cannot be 'proven' however I always think it pays to listen to some of pro's past and present on their views sometimes Whistle

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 28 Dec 2011, 9:29 pm

Oddly, McEnroe doesn't rate his Wimby 1984 final vs Connors as one of his great performances. He feels Connors just didn't really show up that day.
Does anyone want to disagree with Big Mac? Wink

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 28 Dec 2011, 10:07 pm

Sport progresses, either becoming more popular, less popular or as popular as before. Levels of professionalism within the sport tend to increase as people try to exploit all possible means to win the prizes on offer. Very successful sportspeople can even develop a brand image that they can use to sell themselves independently of their chosen sport.

For example people will kill for the latest Air "Jordan" trainers http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-16323666

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Wed 28 Dec 2011, 10:10 pm

In Connors's defence, he had a tiring match against Lendl in the previous round.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1984_Wimbledon_Championships_%E2%80%93_Men%27s_Singles

This is the final - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALqjmjeXO6U

LK... I agree it pays to listen to the pros. Hug

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Wed 28 Dec 2011, 11:14 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:Oddly, McEnroe doesn't rate his Wimby 1984 final vs Connors as one of his great performances. He feels Connors just didn't really show up that day.
Does anyone want to disagree with Big Mac? Wink

I think Mac has point though. Like LF said Connors was tired, but Big Mac feels he didn't need to up a gear in that match in 84. I think Mac didn't feel his best tennis was needed. Quite similar in some respects to Nadal/Djokovic in the US Open final this year.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed 28 Dec 2011, 11:37 pm

McEnroe is now a marketer, in short a salesman and what he wants to sell is tennis. Next year he will say no different when pablo de la rubisha will be number one. Don't expect a proper journalist to say that it was better in teh past.

Whatever McEnroe says, I am a bit annoyed to see physical tennis outlasting skilled tennis. Which is exactly what we are seeing nowadays.

Under those conds, yes this is the winning tennis is the best tennis....under different conds it might not be.

Last edited by Tenez on Wed 28 Dec 2011, 11:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 28 Dec 2011, 11:38 pm

Tenez wrote:...pablo de la rubisha...
Laugh

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Thu 29 Dec 2011, 12:23 am

clap
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Thu 29 Dec 2011, 3:57 am

LK lets stop this boring weak era golden era competition threads, this is certainly a weak era of posting in 606v2, n u can change it with better topics than these kind of.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Thu 29 Dec 2011, 2:37 pm

invisiblecoolers wrote:LK lets stop this boring weak era golden era competition threads, this is certainly a weak era of posting in 606v2, n u can change it with better topics than these kind of.

I can't begin to express my frustration when reading which era was the best or even greatest

This was the first sentence of the article.

I am hoping you read that part.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sun 01 Jan 2012, 8:59 pm

No need for the word "epic" in this article's title I'm afraid. Sadly people now use "epic fail" when what they really mean is "fail".
http://thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=epic

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down