The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Highly onorthodox but highly effective.

+8
hodge
jbeadlesbigrighthand
Mike Selig
kwinigolfer
AK
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Biltong
LivinginItaly
12 posters

Go down

Highly onorthodox but highly effective. Empty Highly onorthodox but highly effective.

Post by LivinginItaly Thu 29 Dec 2011, 3:28 pm

We hear a lot about textbook cricketing technique. I was recently thinking though about players who have had very successful careers with a technique that is certainly not found in any cricketing coaching manual. Which batsmen, wicketkeepers and bowlers have managed to make a successful career based upon a seemingly flawed cricket technique?

Note the importance of very successful careers - hence somebody like paul adams, while being hugely unorthodox, shouldn't be included as they weren't highly effective and didn't go on to have a very successful career.

For batsman maybe shiv chanderpaul would be a good shout.

LivinginItaly

Back to top Go down

Highly onorthodox but highly effective. Empty Re: Highly onorthodox but highly effective.

Post by Biltong Thu 29 Dec 2011, 3:33 pm

Amla is not seen to be technically very correct.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Highly onorthodox but highly effective. Empty Re: Highly onorthodox but highly effective.

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 29 Dec 2011, 3:42 pm

I was going to list a fair few until I read the bit about "Very Successful". Sorry Paul Adams.

Lance Cairns retired as NZ's 2nd or 3rd highest test wicket taker, bowling swing/cutters off the wrong foot. Chris Harris managed over 200 ODI wickets bowling dibbly dobbly seamers/non-spinning leg breaks off the wrong foot too.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by AK Thu 29 Dec 2011, 3:45 pm

Sehwag would be the obvious one.

AK

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 29 Dec 2011, 3:49 pm

Jeff Thomson certainly bowled pretty quick with an unorthodox action, successfully too.

While Colin Milburn might have been reasonably technically correct, mentally he treated every ball as one to be flayed around the ground. Not uncommon these days, but a couple of generations ago it was almost "not cricket".

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 29 Dec 2011, 3:57 pm

Simon Katich

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 29 Dec 2011, 4:13 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Jeff Thomson certainly bowled pretty quick with an unorthodox action, successfully too.

While Colin Milburn might have been reasonably technically correct, mentally he treated every ball as one to be flayed around the ground. Not uncommon these days, but a couple of generations ago it was almost "not cricket".

I seem to recall Thomson being sited at all the idiots people who didn't understand the laws on old 606 who thought Malinga was a chucker.

Has Malinga been successful enough to qualify for this list? Great limited overs bowler, sadly curtailed test career.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Thu 29 Dec 2011, 4:23 pm

Well, Muralitharan wasn't an orthodox bowler was he?

Bill "tiger" O'Reilly bowled quick leg-spin in the 1930s. Ditto Kumble and Afridi (successful in ODIs and T20s at least). Chandreraskar (spelling?) bowled really fast for a spinner and bowled mainly googlies.

Thomson is a good shout from Kiwi. Malinga obviously at least in ODIs. Malcom Marshall had a very very front-on action which was I think fairly unusual in those days, but I wouldn't call it unorthodox really.

I'm not sure I'd call Shewag unothodox either in his technique. Simple probably but not unorthodox, it's more his methods which are unusual in that you don't expect them. In which case Jayasuriya would be an equal shout. But technically they are every bit as orthodox as someone like Ponting. I actually think Brian Lara had a fairly unorthodox technique, that high arched backlift, getting accross his stumps, etc.

By all accounts Dennis Compton was unorthodox (and credites with inventing the sweep shot), as was Alan Knott.

More currently someone like Eoin Morgan is certainly unorthodox, and is very effective in the shorter formats of the game.

Ponting's catching technique is fairly unorthodox, whilst Collingwood's "goalkeeping" technique (going with the opposite hand) was pioneering but now seen as correct I guess.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 29 Dec 2011, 4:25 pm

Could we perhaps say some players with thier unorthodix methods were also pioneers?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by jbeadlesbigrighthand Thu 29 Dec 2011, 4:49 pm

Mike Procter is the standout for me. It's not just that his bowling action was unorthodox, but also that it must have made it harder for him to bowl fast.

jbeadlesbigrighthand

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 29 Dec 2011, 5:07 pm

beadle thumbsup

Still struggling to understand Kiwi's reference to my post on Jeff Thomson . . . . Were people saying Tommo was a chucker?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 29 Dec 2011, 5:13 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:beadle thumbsup

Still struggling to understand Kiwi's reference to my post on Jeff Thomson . . . . Were people saying Tommo was a chucker?

Sorry mate.

Some people were calling Malinga a chucker, to which the response was that he was slingy a la Thomson, albeit a bit more round arm.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 29 Dec 2011, 5:27 pm

Kiwi thumbsup

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Thu 29 Dec 2011, 6:29 pm

Lara with his high back lift?

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Thu 29 Dec 2011, 7:17 pm

hodge wrote:Lara with his high back lift?

No need to steal my ideas... Wink

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by LivinginItaly Thu 29 Dec 2011, 7:34 pm

We seem to have quite a number of batsmen and bowlers. What about unorthodox wicketkeepers?

LivinginItaly

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Thu 29 Dec 2011, 7:42 pm

How about Gilbert Jessop, known as 'The Croucher' due to his low stance at the crease? His scoring rates were unorthodox as well.
Or S.F. Barnes who bowled off and leg-spin, from the front of his hand, at fast-medium pace?
Or K.S. Ranjitsinjhi, who played his leg glance BETWEEN his legs?

Pretty unorthodox.

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Thu 29 Dec 2011, 8:14 pm

Mike Selig wrote:
hodge wrote:Lara with his high back lift?

No need to steal my ideas... Wink

Just checked back and fair enough i'm now agreeing with you Wink

I just saw a long post and being tired at the time I just thought skip!

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Thu 29 Dec 2011, 8:17 pm

LivinginItaly wrote:We seem to have quite a number of batsmen and bowlers. What about unorthodox wicketkeepers?

I can't really remember but wasn't there a keep who stood at a slight angle and closer to the stumps so it was easier to take the ball side on and limiting chances of the ball going to their left (for a right handed batter) and vice versa?

probably me imagining it Erm

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 29 Dec 2011, 10:38 pm

For bowlers, for the more mature posters, I would also nominate John Price of Middlesex for his remarkable run up. I have a recollection that he used to start his very long run up from a (not all that straight) deep mid off or mid on. Shocked I think tho' by the time he eventually got to deliver the ball he was pretty orthodox, even graceful....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 29 Dec 2011, 10:50 pm

Talking about run ups, did you notice how short a runup De Lange has and still bowling at 145 km/h?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 29 Dec 2011, 10:50 pm

Kevin Pietersen is fairly unorthodox at times, to great success, i.e. playing his 'flamingo' shot to a ball a few feet outside off stump and smashing it along the ground through midwicket.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 29 Dec 2011, 11:00 pm

Hoggy_Bear wrote:Or K.S. Ranjitsinjhi, who played his leg glance BETWEEN his legs?
Pretty unorthodox.
He probably got gutted a few times by hitting the ball too square and getting bowled (played on) off the side of his knee! Laugh

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 30 Dec 2011, 1:20 am

Fists,
Now you've mentioned KP. Given the number of times both he and Prior get themselves out cheaply and recklessly, do you think "effective" is an appropriate adjective for them? Same probably applies also to many others but both of them are so often found wanting when an ounce of discipline would do the job.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri 30 Dec 2011, 7:09 am

Peter Willey had a pretty unorthodox stance, just checked his stats though and turns out that highly effective he wasn't.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by LivinginItaly Fri 30 Dec 2011, 10:41 am

kwinigolfer wrote:Fists,
Now you've mentioned KP. Given the number of times both he and Prior get themselves out cheaply and recklessly, do you think "effective" is an appropriate adjective for them? Same probably applies also to many others but both of them are so often found wanting when an ounce of discipline would do the job.

I would suggest that Prior's test match average of 44.71 at a strike rate of 66.95 over 47 matches, scoring 6 100's and 18 50's, would be ample justification for the adjective highly effective. However, I wouldn't regard prior as having a particularly unorthodox technique.

As to the Kp comment - behave.

LivinginItaly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down