The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Highly entertaining Ranfurly shield challenge

+5
LondonTiger
pete (buachaill on eirne)
aucklandlaurie
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Taylorman
9 posters

Go down

Highly entertaining Ranfurly shield challenge Empty Highly entertaining Ranfurly shield challenge

Post by Taylorman Sat 01 Sep 2012, 10:08 am

The purists might disagree but a franticly high scoring battle between holders Taranaki and Tasman on at the moment.

Some recent ABs on show...Eaton, Barrett, Hore etc.

Six minutes remaining and Taranaki leading 44-40 in a see saw try fest.

The match doubles as an itm match. Quite an amazing match.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Highly entertaining Ranfurly shield challenge Empty Re: Highly entertaining Ranfurly shield challenge

Post by Taylorman Sat 01 Sep 2012, 10:09 am

Beauden barrett to score the match winner for Taranaki...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Highly entertaining Ranfurly shield challenge Empty Re: Highly entertaining Ranfurly shield challenge

Post by Guest Sat 01 Sep 2012, 10:11 am

Can see why Beauden Barrett is so highly thought of. Glad I decided to watch this. Very good game.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Sat 01 Sep 2012, 10:23 am

Great match. Gutted the Tasman lads couldn't quite get their hands on the Shield Sad. Tasman's not held it over the province's short history, and of the provinces preceding the merger Nelson Bays never won it, while Marlborough famously upset Canterbury in 1973 to start their only reign with the Log o' Wood
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sat 01 Sep 2012, 10:28 am

I thought that Glen Jackson's performance was one of the best refereeing displays Ive seen all year.

As the tiredness set in, in the second half and some players (especially Tasman) lost their accuracy and he then had no option but to go to the whistle more

Tell you also the game before it, between Waikato and North Auckland was an absolute stunner as well.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Sat 01 Sep 2012, 10:30 am

Some seriously good running rugby on show there

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sat 01 Sep 2012, 10:32 am

match report.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10831121

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat 01 Sep 2012, 10:57 am

Very entertaining - primarily due to ambitious and skillfull play with ball in hand but also allied to some lacklustre tackling.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Sat 01 Sep 2012, 11:01 am

Basketball Wink

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Sat 01 Sep 2012, 4:59 pm

There was some pretty shocking tackling. Some of the basics were really poor in fact but both teams really seemed to come alive when they had possession

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 01 Sep 2012, 7:40 pm

Yeah its a bit strange really. I thnk much of NZ rugby is based so much on attack its almost as though they save their energy for it.

The two matches yesterday were faster than sxv or test matches on attack.

I don't normally watch these as closely but will now they're so entertaining. There's a layer of players who know this is their chance to either impress the AB coaches if they are on the fringe (Barrett, Fruean, Eaton etc) but also those after a sxv contract next year...the goal for most of these guys.

Breathtaking tries though...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Sat 01 Sep 2012, 9:01 pm

I rarely regret getting up early to watch the ITM Cup and this morning was no exception. Two really enjoyable games to watch.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sat 01 Sep 2012, 9:55 pm

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:There was some pretty shocking tackling. Some of the basics were really poor in fact but both teams really seemed to come alive when they had possession

Pete

Ive seen a lot of top International teams over the years put a lot into defence but are not capable of pacing themselves in defence, hence when they do get possession arent in a position to turn it nto points.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Sat 01 Sep 2012, 9:56 pm

I think the tackling was "poor" because it is hard to set up defensive patterns when games are played at that high pace.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by drsambo1928 Sat 01 Sep 2012, 10:02 pm

I didnt see it but, you have to love those matches where players just forget to defend and refuse to kick. They are fun to watch as a neutal but as a fan of one of the teams it must be hard on the old heart.

drsambo1928

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sat 01 Sep 2012, 10:04 pm

MBTGOG

Yes there is probably a lot in that, How else can it be explained when we see players of All black wider training group standard, some even playing 8 days ago against the Wallabies. then the following weekend apparently turn into bad defenders?

The Wallabies were held to zero. So whats different in a week?

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Sun 02 Sep 2012, 11:45 am

Well it may not have been those particular players whose defence was poor.

I've just gotten home from watching Wellington give Southland a beating .

YAY!!
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun 02 Sep 2012, 6:20 pm

Man that was a great match as well ngan. Anothert savea at 7 and Leilua were awesome. Leiluas kick and chase try was brilliant. Love this stuff its so full on. Is the pace this year a lot faster or is it always like this. Seems mighty quick...all the matches I've seen so far. Who can pick the winner of this?

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sun 02 Sep 2012, 8:49 pm

Taylorman

The pace has definitely gone up a couple of notches this year. I also note that the sevens players are far more noticeable this year.

On a side issue, I like this practise where the players in some unions wear their club socks, an extension of the old Barbarians tradition, sadly I didnt see many pairs of red and black in the Auckland team..

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down