The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wlad K

+14
The Galveston Giant
JabMachine
Mind the windows Tino.
Rowley
Waingro
monty junior
lovely_london
TRUSSMAN66
davidemore
John Bloody Wayne
Lance
Imperial Ghosty
88Chris05
azania
18 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Wlad K - Page 4 Empty Wlad K

Post by azania Sun 01 Jan 2012, 11:36 pm

First topic message reminder :

Why does he split opinions so much. Sure he's been levelled and his chin has been found wanting. He's not the most exciting boxer either. Very safety, jab jab jab jab until the opponent goes to sleep along with a non German crowd. But damn, he is very effective at what he does.

He reminds me of Lewis but a slightly better boxer. Better jab and equally concussive puncher when he decides to unleash the right. Many may say that his opposition is not up to much. But a certain ATG HW had a bum of the month contest and not many seem to hold that against him. Also Lewis has been sparked out twice, yet many seem to ignore that and claim Wlad is chinny. His opposition is on par with Lewis also. Its not as though he's fighting blown up LHW who got beat by a welterweight or past it HWs. He's fighting abd beating the best available with ease.

If he were British or american, would we rate him higher? In terms of achievement, I'd rank him in the top 10/top 15 ATG Heavyweights.

What say you?

azania

Back to top Go down

Wlad K - Page 4 Empty Re: Wlad K

Post by azania Thu 05 Jan 2012, 8:09 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:GG

I think Lewis' jab, right hook and right uppercut were average to be honest with you.

My goodness. We agree on something. Shocked

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu 05 Jan 2012, 8:10 pm

azania wrote:
The Galveston Giant wrote:I thought his jab was up there with the likes of Holmes and Liston easy.

Good grief not a chance in hell. His jab lacked snap and was often lazy. Bruno had a better jab. Bowe was superior in that department. I'd even say Wlad had a better jab,

Apart from Wlad who is fighting poor opposition mostly i don't think they could control a fight like Lewis used to with the jab.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 05 Jan 2012, 8:12 pm

Think Frank outjabbed him Galvy....albeit early in his career......

Holmes had the best jab I've ever seen.............

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 05 Jan 2012, 8:13 pm

I wouldn't say Lewis had a defining fight either Truss but what sets him aside from most especially the brothers is the manner in which he could win fights, neither were or are capable of blitzing some pretty good fighters as Lewis did. For instance do we think Lewis fights so safety first against David Haye, think he quickly realises the fight is plain sailing and ends it there and then, had his blips like Mercer, McCall and Rahmann but could also be very impressive.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 05 Jan 2012, 8:14 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:
azania wrote:
Imperial Ghosty wrote:Lennox Lewis quite clearly has one of the best right hands in the division plus being better that the pair in almost every department helps.

He had good power no doubt. But not in the division's history. Bigger hitters didn't become champs.

The fact he could deliver that power with such regularity is what sets it aside, Shavers had more power but I would say Lewis had a far better right hand.

I'd question the quality of his opposition. Against the better fighters, he coulldn't put them away. He couldn't land flush enough (that croat being the exception as god knows what he was made of).

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu 05 Jan 2012, 8:15 pm

Yeah Holmes is number one by a long stretch for me, i really liked Lewis his jab later in his career, a few fighters couldn't get near him.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 05 Jan 2012, 8:15 pm

I said that in jest of course Galvy, as far as jabs go think Lewis rates very highly. Liston and Ali would have to be the top men for different reasons, the snap and power of Listons compared to the speed and accuracy of Ali with Holmes being snappy but occassionally lazy much like Lewis but less so.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 05 Jan 2012, 8:16 pm

The Galveston Giant wrote:
azania wrote:
The Galveston Giant wrote:I thought his jab was up there with the likes of Holmes and Liston easy.

Good grief not a chance in hell. His jab lacked snap and was often lazy. Bruno had a better jab. Bowe was superior in that department. I'd even say Wlad had a better jab,

Apart from Wlad who is fighting poor opposition mostly i don't think they could control a fight like Lewis used to with the jab.

Lewis didn't exactly have steller opposition either. I haven't seen many boxers who control range as well as Wlad. Bores the living daylights doing it and as you say his opposition isn't up to much. But he fights at his pace and at his distance.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 05 Jan 2012, 8:16 pm

Do you have to put fighters away?????

How many times did Robbo put Lamotta away??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 05 Jan 2012, 8:18 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:I wouldn't say Lewis had a defining fight either Truss but what sets him aside from most especially the brothers is the manner in which he could win fights, neither were or are capable of blitzing some pretty good fighters as Lewis did. For instance do we think Lewis fights so safety first against David Haye, think he quickly realises the fight is plain sailing and ends it there and then, had his blips like Mercer, McCall and Rahmann but could also be very impressive.

His fight with McCall was plain sailing yet he adopted a very safety first approach. Manny was screaming at him in the Holy fight to put Holy away, yet Lewis was very safety first.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 05 Jan 2012, 8:19 pm

Better fighters to tend to be harder to knockout than the level below, many of the sports biggest hitters went the distance on a fair few occassions.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 05 Jan 2012, 8:20 pm

azania wrote:
Imperial Ghosty wrote:I wouldn't say Lewis had a defining fight either Truss but what sets him aside from most especially the brothers is the manner in which he could win fights, neither were or are capable of blitzing some pretty good fighters as Lewis did. For instance do we think Lewis fights so safety first against David Haye, think he quickly realises the fight is plain sailing and ends it there and then, had his blips like Mercer, McCall and Rahmann but could also be very impressive.

His fight with McCall was plain sailing yet he adopted a very safety first approach. Manny was screaming at him in the Holy fight to put Holy away, yet Lewis was very safety first.

Holyfield is a whole different kettle of fish to Haye.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 05 Jan 2012, 8:21 pm

Poor argument Az Mate !!!

If you're a technician and owning somebody...You should go for a finish when you don't have to??

Sorry a win is a win.....Robinson-Lamotta?????

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Thu 05 Jan 2012, 8:22 pm

an out of shape lewis beat vitali. vitali is miles better than wlad. its simple as far as i see it.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 05 Jan 2012, 8:22 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Better fighters to tend to be harder to knockout than the level below, many of the sports biggest hitters went the distance on a fair few occassions.

Naturally. So the regularity in which he despatched opponents must be held in context to the quality of opposition.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 05 Jan 2012, 8:25 pm

Have you noticed how AZ avoids some arguments Ghosty???

Selectivity never hurt anybody hey Az..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 05 Jan 2012, 8:25 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:
azania wrote:

Not when you have doubts about your chin. Haye is a big(ish) puncher. Wlad doesn't trust his chin so he went safety first.....again. Lewis after the 2 KOs and numerous wobbles doesn't trust his chin in my opinion so he also adopted a safety first approach.

But no excuses for McCall. Far too safety first when the guy wanted out. He should have obliged and done what Floyd did.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 05 Jan 2012, 8:25 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:
azania wrote:

Not when you have doubts about your chin. Haye is a big(ish) puncher. Wlad doesn't trust his chin so he went safety first.....again. Lewis after the 2 KOs and numerous wobbles doesn't trust his chin in my opinion so he also adopted a safety first approach.

But no excuses for McCall. Far too safety first when the guy wanted out. He should have obliged and done what Floyd did.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 05 Jan 2012, 8:26 pm

As it is with every heavyweight, the major point being the heavyweight division is historically poor and Lewis' right hand is right up there.

There are tiers of power as far as I see it

Foreman and Shavers

Tyson, Dempsey and Louis

Lewis, Liston and Frazier

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 05 Jan 2012, 8:26 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Have you noticed how AZ avoids some arguments Ghosty???

What am I avoiding? The comments are coming in thick and fast. If there's a question I've missed, please point it out and I'll respond to it. I dont duck questions.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 05 Jan 2012, 8:27 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Have you noticed how AZ avoids some arguments Ghosty???

What am I avoiding? The comments are coming in thick and fast. If there's a question I've missed, please point it out and I'll respond to it. I dont duck questions.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 05 Jan 2012, 8:27 pm

What's up with the double posts?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 05 Jan 2012, 8:28 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Poor argument Az Mate !!!

If you're a technician and owning somebody...You should go for a finish when you don't have to??

Sorry a win is a win.....Robinson-Lamotta?????

Actually I agree. The Klits get criticised for doing just that.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 05 Jan 2012, 8:29 pm

Ortiz headbutting Mayweather is the same as McCall having a mental breakdown mid fight?

Oh Truss I noticed it a long time ago, he'll now cry saying you're bullying him.

The massive flaw in your argument is the regularity with which Lewis ended fights early, Briggs could punch hard, very hard, Lewis smells blood so decides to up his work rate and end the fight, Wlad would never do that.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 05 Jan 2012, 8:30 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Do you have to put fighters away?????

Tell that to the posters being critical of Wlad/Vit for safety first. There's an apparent reason for Lewis doing it, but different rules when the Klits do the same.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 05 Jan 2012, 8:32 pm

You're contradicting yourself Az Mate....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 05 Jan 2012, 8:32 pm

azania wrote:

Tell that to the posters being critical of Wlad/Vit for safety first. There's an apparent reason for Lewis doing it, but different rules when the Klits do the same.

Lewis simply didn't though, I wouldn't expect anyone to try and get Tua out of there straight away he's far too dangerous a puncher, neither brother have faced anyone with that sort of devastating power so there is less excuse for it.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 05 Jan 2012, 8:33 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Ortiz headbutting Mayweather is the same as McCall having a mental breakdown mid fight?

Oh Truss I noticed it a long time ago, he'll now cry saying you're bullying him.

The massive flaw in your argument is the regularity with which Lewis ended fights early, Briggs could punch hard, very hard, Lewis smells blood so decides to up his work rate and end the fight, Wlad would never do that.

Cone on Ghosty, you're better than that. Ortiz had his hands down. Unprotected. Floyd did what Lewis should have done when McCall was unprotected. The rules are "protect yourself at all times".

Didn't Lewis smell the blood when McCall was there for the taking and in R5 when Holy was teetering?

The Klits are sound boxers. Too safety first for my liking. But so was Lewis (not to their extent I'll admit), especially after the 2 KO's and several wobbles.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu 05 Jan 2012, 8:33 pm

azania wrote:

Some of Lewis fights were competitive and he had big punchers in front of him, there is fights were the brothers just coast and the crowd cheers when they throw a punch, they could be doing with stepping it up a gear or two at times.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 05 Jan 2012, 8:34 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:
azania wrote:

Lewis simply didn't though, I wouldn't expect anyone to try and get Tua out of there straight away he's far too dangerous a puncher, neither brother have faced anyone with that sort of devastating power so there is less excuse for it.

Tua was a huge puncher with a good chin. Lewis did the right thing. No argument. Safety first. Common sense. Especially when you have doubts about your chin.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 05 Jan 2012, 8:37 pm

azania wrote:
Imperial Ghosty wrote:
azania wrote:

Tua was a huge puncher with a good chin. Lewis did the right thing. No argument. Safety first. Common sense. Especially when you have doubts about your chin.

Are Thompson, Chambers, Chagaev or Ibragimov that dangerous? No they're not, would Lewis have upped it and ended it most probably, did Wlad? No

The Ortiz and McCall situations are so far removed from eachother that there is no point comparing them.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 05 Jan 2012, 8:39 pm

azania wrote:

Some of Lewis fights were competitive and he had big punchers in front of him, there is fights were the brothers just coast and the crowd cheers when they throw a punch, they could be doing with stepping it up a gear or two at times.

My opinion is that I find all 3 of them ridiculously boring fighters (and personalities). If I were German/Ukrainian I probably find them the best thing since sliced bread. Britian had its first HW champ in 100 years. A dominant one at that, so many enjoyed his fights. I'm not a flag waving nationalist or even moderately nationalistic (except for rugby) so am totally impartial. But ask an American (not transplanted one) their opinion of Lewis and their response would be similar to mine. Lewis' problem is similar to that of Holmes. He came after a very charasmatic, exciting and devestating boxer.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Thu 05 Jan 2012, 8:40 pm

azania wrote:
Imperial Ghosty wrote:Ortiz headbutting Mayweather is the same as McCall having a mental breakdown mid fight?

Cone on Ghosty, you're better than that. Ortiz had his hands down. Unprotected. Floyd did what Lewis should have done when McCall was unprotected. The rules are "protect yourself at all times".

Didn't Lewis smell the blood when McCall was there for the taking and in R5 when Holy was teetering?

The Klits are sound boxers. Too safety first for my liking. But so was Lewis (not to their extent I'll admit), especially after the 2 KO's and several wobbles.

ghosty is right though. how can you compare the mayweather ortiz fight to lewis mccall. besides ortiz wasnt even looking, and mccall was pulling away everytime lewis got close

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu 05 Jan 2012, 8:40 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:
azania wrote:
Imperial Ghosty wrote:
azania wrote:

Are Thompson, Chambers, Chagaev or Ibragimov that dangerous? No they're not, would Lewis have upped it and ended it most probably, did Wlad? No

The Ortiz and McCall situations are so far removed from eachother that there is no point comparing them.

I would say so, one had just been headbutted while the other was watching his opponent have a mental breakdown.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 05 Jan 2012, 8:41 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:
azania wrote:
Imperial Ghosty wrote:
azania wrote:

I wouldn't call them dangerous in any way. Neither would I call a crying, hands down Mccall dangerous. Or a Holy on the brink dangerous.

The Ortiz/McCall situations are practically identical. Both fighters had their hands down looking elsewhere. One got Ko'd by a relatively light punching champion. The other chose to play chess and not look for the check mate.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 05 Jan 2012, 8:42 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:
azania wrote:
Imperial Ghosty wrote:
azania wrote:

I would say so, one had just been headbutted while the other was watching his opponent have a mental breakdown.

Both were not defending themselves. One took the boxer's option. The other took the chess option.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 05 Jan 2012, 8:42 pm

Lewis and Holmes are boring in comparison to other fighters, Wlad on the other hand is just plain boring.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 05 Jan 2012, 8:42 pm

I like you Az..

You should have been a lawyer......You'd have made a case for finding Charles manson not guilty!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Thu 05 Jan 2012, 8:42 pm

azania wrote:
azania wrote:

My opinion is that I find all 3 of them ridiculously boring fighters (and personalities). If I were German/Ukrainian I probably find them the best thing since sliced bread. Britian had its first HW champ in 100 years. A dominant one at that, so many enjoyed his fights. I'm not a flag waving nationalist or even moderately nationalistic (except for rugby) so am totally impartial. But ask an American (not transplanted one) their opinion of Lewis and their response would be similar to mine. Lewis' problem is similar to that of Holmes. He came after a very charasmatic, exciting and devestating boxer.

vitalis problem is he came after the guy that beat him. and wlads problem is he came after his brother avenged his worst defeat and then retired injured. history will be kind to lewis, it will be unfair on vitali, and wlad will rightfully be undermined

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu 05 Jan 2012, 8:43 pm

azania wrote:
Imperial Ghosty wrote:
azania wrote:
Imperial Ghosty wrote:
azania wrote:

I wouldn't call them dangerous in any way. Neither would I call a crying, hands down Mccall dangerous. Or a Holy on the brink dangerous.

The Ortiz/McCall situations are practically identical. Both fighters had their hands down looking elsewhere. One got Ko'd by a relatively light punching champion. The other chose to play chess and not look for the check mate.

That's harsh, he doesn't eat babies like Tyson.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Thu 05 Jan 2012, 8:44 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I like you Az..

You should have been a lawyer......You'd have made a case for finding Charles manson not guilty!!

CHARLES MANSON IS INNOCENT!!!! my friend axl rose agrees

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 05 Jan 2012, 8:45 pm

Lance wrote:
azania wrote:

ghosty is right though. how can you compare the mayweather ortiz fight to lewis mccall. besides ortiz wasnt even looking, and mccall was pulling away everytime lewis got close

If the world HW champ doesn't know what to do when a boxer pulls away from a punch but still has his hands down looking for a way out, I would question the skill level of that boxer.

No, Lewis adopted the safety first approach and stayed behind the jab.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 05 Jan 2012, 8:45 pm

Whether they are defending themselves or not isn't really the point, Mayweather had every reason to cheap shot Ortiz because of the headbutt, McCall having a mental breakdown is no reason to do the same.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 05 Jan 2012, 8:46 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I like you Az..

What's his background and childhood like? Laugh

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Thu 05 Jan 2012, 8:47 pm

azania wrote:
Lance wrote:
azania wrote:

If the world HW champ doesn't know what to do when a boxer pulls away from a punch but still has his hands down looking for a way out, I would question the skill level of that boxer.

you should watch mccall lewis again. mccall did not have his hands down. he was turning away and wimpering, but he was thinking clearly enough to stay away from big shots. infact you could compare it to how david haye survived against wlad. im sure lewis could have put haye away

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 05 Jan 2012, 8:48 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Whether they are defending themselves or not isn't really the point, Mayweather had every reason to cheap shot Ortiz because of the headbutt, McCall having a mental breakdown is no reason to do the same.

I can understand that. But I remember commentators discussing why he didn't put him away. They questioned his fighter's instinct. I dont question that, but my point is that he remembered what McCall did to him previously and adopted the safety first approach.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Thu 05 Jan 2012, 8:50 pm

azania wrote:
Imperial Ghosty wrote:Whether they are defending themselves or not isn't really the point, Mayweather had every reason to cheap shot Ortiz because of the headbutt, McCall having a mental breakdown is no reason to do the same.

I can understand that. But I remember commentators discussing why he didn't put him away. They questioned his fighter's instinct. I dont question that, but my point is that he remembered what McCall did to him previously and adopted the safety first approach.

well you are wrong. lewis showed some compassion towards the end. certainly was remembering what had happend or looking for revenge

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 05 Jan 2012, 8:50 pm

You also have to consider that McCall has one of if not the best chin in boxing, it's going to take a prolonged beating to put him away hands up or down, he was expecting shots at all times whereas Ortiz was not.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 05 Jan 2012, 8:52 pm

Lance wrote:
azania wrote:
Lance wrote:
azania wrote:

you should watch mccall lewis again. mccall did not have his hands down. he was turning away and wimpering, but he was thinking clearly enough to stay away from big shots. infact you could compare it to how david haye survived against wlad. im sure lewis could have put haye away

On several occassions he had his hands by his waist. Not even cocked and ready to throw a punch. Yes he would cover up. But he was not throwng back.

I doubt Lewis would put Haye away. He'd have to be Usain Bolt to catch up with Haye's running.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 05 Jan 2012, 8:53 pm

Lewis would have Haye out of there in a few rounds max.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next