The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Andy Murray!

+14
MTS1
Wooffie
yummymummy
sportslover
eirebilly
Dave.
sharky066
AberdeenSteve
Jamson
Hailmary
Cymru1991
Enforcer
Solerina
FootyKnowItAll
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Andy Murray! Empty Andy Murray!

Post by FootyKnowItAll Fri 28 Jan 2011, 8:34 pm

He's flying the flag for Great Britain on the 30th, in the Australian Open against Novak Djokovic.

I hope you'll all join me in wishing the Scotsman the best of luck!

FootyKnowItAll

Back to top Go down

Andy Murray! Empty Re: Andy Murray!

Post by Solerina Fri 28 Jan 2011, 8:55 pm

GOOD LUCK ANDY!!

Solerina

Have edited my post........made it a little more discreet in case you're viewing this forum
in the office when you're supposed to be working lol.

Last edited by Solerina on Fri 28 Jan 2011, 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

Solerina

Back to top Go down

Post by Enforcer Fri 28 Jan 2011, 9:09 pm

There can't be many British sportsmen that divide opinion as much as Murray, but personally I hope he wins on Sunday.

I hink the match will be a lot tougher than the media have been making out. Even before he beat Ferrer all the papers were saying how he got lucky that Federer lost. Djoko is still world no 3 and a very good player.

Enforcer
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by FootyKnowItAll Fri 28 Jan 2011, 9:13 pm

Djokovic and Murray have a big history between them, and have had some fantastic matches. Should be a cracker!

FootyKnowItAll

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymru1991 Sat 29 Jan 2011, 4:29 pm

Personally, I'm a huge Andy Murray fan, so I'll be watching and cheering him on!Very Happy

Cymru1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 29 Jan 2011, 5:07 pm

i am happy andy murray is doing well i think he win tomorrow
he has had his bad run this year so now he is hitting his form :cheers:

come on murray

Back to top Go down

Post by Hailmary Sat 29 Jan 2011, 7:14 pm

Cymru1991 wrote:Personally, I'm a huge Andy Murray fan, so I'll be watching and cheering him on!Very Happy

I personally hate him. Hate the fact that the whole country bum him when it (ref to sky sports) is winning and when it loses we all drink more single malt whiskey. Smileyface. Ficklebritton.

Hailmary

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 30 Jan 2011, 12:41 am

andy murray will do his best to win i hope his wins Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamson Sun 30 Jan 2011, 3:04 am

I went to Murray's quarter final vs Dolgopolov.. he was excellent.

Cant get tics for the final but am looking forward to watching it. It's also f-in HOT in melbourne today.. i reckon it'll still be 20+ degrees at 7.30pm tonight.

Jamson

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Sun 30 Jan 2011, 1:35 pm

Actually can't believe the abuse he is getting on the other 606. Absolute disgrace. Yes, Murray was poor today but doesn't deserve the abuse he is getting. All this anti scot / anti english rudey poo. Some people have no idea. RANT OVER

Anyway, everyone elses views on the match? Smile

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by sharky066 Sun 30 Jan 2011, 2:31 pm

AberdeenSteve wrote:Actually can't believe the abuse he is getting on the other 606. Absolute disgrace. Yes, Murray was poor today but doesn't deserve the abuse he is getting. All this anti scot / anti english rudey poo. Some people have no idea. RANT OVER

Anyway, everyone elses views on the match? Smile

I agree, just a bad day for Murray, just looked like he wasn't up for it
still a good match to watch
Well done Novak Djokovic second time winning it

sharky066

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Sun 30 Jan 2011, 2:54 pm

The fact is that Murray was beaten by a top of his Novak today. He was far too sloppy at places and deserved to lose. Still bemused by the abuse he is getting. Disgrace. Got to agree sharky was a very good match to watch

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymru1991 Sun 30 Jan 2011, 3:50 pm

I've never really understood why Murray always seems to get the flak that he does. Yes he swears a lot on court blah blah blah but to be fair, we all demonstrate our competitive nature in different ways. If Murray happens to do it by looking miserable and sullen and using the language he does then so be it. I always think it's nice to see the passion of the guy expressed like that (even though he looked down and out to a degree today).
As for the whole British/ Scottish thing (there's a few threads of that nature over on the "old" 606 board): well I just don't get that. I'm Welsh and when England play in anything I support england, when Scotland play I support Scotland etc etc. At the end of the day, Murray is representing British tennis fans, regardless of what he refers to himself as so i don't see the point of getting on his back to the degree that some people do...

Cymru1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Sun 30 Jan 2011, 4:07 pm

I think the reason/excuse is that time during the 2006 World Cup when he said he was going to support Paraguay (who England were playing). That was typical intra-UK banter though, we all do it. Certainly not a reason to dislike a guy.

Murray just didn't turn up. Congrats to Djoko! :cheers:

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamson Mon 31 Jan 2011, 12:47 am

WOW.

OK djokovic played very well but Murray was rubbish for his third final. 9 sets.. 9 lost... most of them quite easily.

Defo a huge mental issue there.. shame

Jamson

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 02 Feb 2011, 6:38 pm

Lots of posts about Murray's mental blockage, but I'm not so sure its wholly that reason.

Maybe he just isn't good enough yet to compete at the highest level you can get to.

For some its a learning process, and if he continues to get into slam finals, then hopefully, he will bag one.

But yes, his mental attitude leaves a lot to be desired.

Back to top Go down

Post by Solerina Wed 09 Feb 2011, 8:55 pm

Jubbahey wrote:Lots of posts about Murray's mental blockage, but I'm not so sure its wholly that reason.

Maybe he just isn't good enough yet to compete at the highest level you can get to.

For some its a learning process, and if he continues to get into slam finals, then hopefully, he will bag one.

Surely if he's beaten Fed, twice, in a final, he's good enough, or isn't it as simple as that?

I'm very disappointed tonight....but what's new? Andy fans are getting used to it.

I don't think I'm going to have the heart to watch him in another slam final.......but I expect I will when the time comes.

He looked really p*ssed off when he came off the court tonight.......more than he usually does after a loss like that.

I'm going to stop thinking about him now......I'm getting annoyed lol

Solerina

Solerina

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Thu 10 Feb 2011, 9:05 am

Jubbahey wrote:Lots of posts about Murray's mental blockage, but I'm not so sure its wholly that reason.

Not sure if thats really the case, he has certainly beaten the best under pressure situations to win Masters.

I think that he is a bit like Ivan Llendl in a way. Llendle lost his first 7 major finals before eventually winning one and he ended his career with a good haul. I think that Murray will win a few before his career is done.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Solerina Thu 10 Feb 2011, 3:17 pm

eirebilly wrote:

Not sure if thats really the case, he has certainly beaten the best under pressure situations to win Masters.

That's what I think eirebilly.........but then I know very little about tennis.

What I don't understand is how, like last night, Andy can start so well, looking like he is really up for it, and end so badly.

I've never liked to mention this anywhere before, but I think Andy has an ADD sort of thing going on .
That's attention deficit disorder, not to be confused with ADHD, they often get lumped together but there is a difference.

With ADD (and ADHD) you have good days and bad days........the symptoms can change by the hour.
I know this from the voluntary work I do with kids who have these conditions.

This could explain why Andy's concentration can come and go so many times during a match and why some days he can breeze through a match and win easily.

I've attended intensive, professional, courses on this stuff, connected to my proper job....the whole thing is far too complex to go into here and if I started waffling on I might never stop lol.....it's one of my favourite subjects.

A lot of people think ADD is just a fancy label for something that doesn't really exist but it's a real disorder, of varying degrees of severity. Life with full blown ADD would be extremely debilitating.

I feel uneasy about saying something so personal about Andy but I think this is part of his problem.

I was diagnosed with mild ADD last year, unofficially, by an expert, and I think Andy has the same problem.

BTW I think all this is separate from the mental block he seems to have when it comes to Slam finals.....I think that is something different.

There you go....that's my amateur diagnosis of Andy Murray's problem.

Solerina

Solerina

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 11 Feb 2011, 7:21 am

I never would have thought of that Solina. I am not in a position to say whether you are right or wrong as i have absolutely no understanding of such things. I always thought that Murray was to prone to let his frustrations get the better of him and just lose his concentration. He sets himself high expectations and when he doesnt live up to them he gets very frustrated.

Of the 3 major finals he has made he has come up agains Federer on form twice and Nole playing the best tennis of his life once. Its not the end of the road for Murray.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Solerina Fri 11 Feb 2011, 7:56 pm

eirebilly wrote:I am not in a position to say whether you are right or wrong

Hi eirebilly

I'm not sure if I'm right or wrong either, it was only a thought I had, it might explain his all too frequent lapses in concentration.

It is hard for him...........and no disgrace being beaten by Fed and Nole in the Slam finals........it's just that sometimes he seems to chuck a match away........like the other night against Baggy......he should have won that.

Anyway.....like you say........it's not the end of the road.........and he's only 23.

I've no idea when he's playing next........I'll go and find out.

Ooh, I've another theory about Andy...........I think he misses his dog terribly when he's on tour.......maybe Maggie should join him on the tennis circuit.....I'm sure he'd feel happier if she were around.
I don't know if that would be practical or possible........he could certainly afford to employ a nanny for her Very Happy

Solerina

Solerina

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 11 Feb 2011, 8:24 pm

Solerina wrote:
it's just that sometimes he seems to chuck a match away........like the other night against Baggy......he should have won that.

Solerina

I agree.

I always find that Murray has a petulant, defeatist streak that he throws away sets and tries to regroup but effectively just hands the initiative to his opponent!

He's got all the tools to win a Grand Slam but his mental strength needs serious work!

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 11 Feb 2011, 11:14 pm

King Beer wrote:
Solerina wrote:
it's just that sometimes he seems to chuck a match away........like the other night against Baggy......he should have won that.

Solerina

I agree.

I always find that Murray has a petulant, defeatist streak that he throws away sets and tries to regroup but effectively just hands the initiative to his opponent!

He's got all the tools to win a Grand Slam but his mental strength needs serious work!

He has more than enough mental strength. He has just met Federer twice and Nole once in a GS final, all playing their best tennis. As i said earlier, Llendle lost in 7 GS finals before winning one. It will happen for Murray.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 13 Feb 2011, 5:40 pm

eirebilly wrote:I never would have thought of that Solina. I am not in a position to say whether you are right or wrong as i have absolutely no understanding of such things. I always thought that Murray was to prone to let his frustrations get the better of him and just lose his concentration. He sets himself high expectations and when he doesnt live up to them he gets very frustrated.

Of the 3 major finals he has made he has come up agains Federer on form twice and Nole playing the best tennis of his life once. Its not the end of the road for Murray.

I have noticed that Andy loses focus in almost all of his matches, which amounts to the same thing, loss of concentration or incentive and has the same end result, losing his service or a set when he shouldn't have. He is very guilty of this.

He does have the country's expectation on his shoulder (as much as we might deny it), but most of the time he can exclude this kind of pressure from his game. The only time I notice a relapse in his focus is when he begins to show his frustration on the court. His composure vanishes and he's not the only player to do this. Federer did this when playing Del Potro in the US open final and lost. Different man, different personality but same loss of focus and same result.

Its almost as if the player suddenly becomes aware of the spectators and the media that are watching them and they begin to play for them, sharing the good points but also sharing their agony on the bad points. This shift of awareness is a shift of focus and ultimately results in a loss in performance.

Whether this is a result of ADD or the pressures of being Britain's only hope at any Slam (or both) is moot, but I think we can all recognise Murray's tendency to lose focus and concentration in a match, when in a Slam final or the first round of a Masters event, its not choking or bottling the match, he's too much of a fighter for that, but the game seems to escape him at times and his all too obvious annoyances with himself contribute to the other players confidence boost and the game turns around and its gone. You can't do that with any good tennis player let alone someone like Federer.

When Murray plays his game, for himself on his own terms, then he is hard to beat, but he must maintain his ability to focus his energy where it must be, into his game and not show his temper to his opponent. He has the talent and skills to win a slam, but not the mental ability to shut out the media and concentrate fully 100% of the time. This will get better the more finals he plays.

Personally, I think Murray will learn from his Slam experiences and use that to play better next time, as eirebilly states, Andy is only 23, he's got a good couple of years to win a slam, he's just got to get to the finals to give himself a chance.

Back to top Go down

Post by Solerina Mon 14 Feb 2011, 12:47 pm

Thanks for your insightful post Jubbahey...........a very interesting read.

Solerina

Solerina

Back to top Go down

Post by Solerina Wed 16 Feb 2011, 4:48 pm

With Andy withdrawing from Dubai with an injured wrist, we're going to have to wait until Indian Wells (March 7th) to see him in action again.

I like Indian Wells......hopefully I'll be able to catch most of Andy's matches...........I hope his wrist injury isn't going to plague him for the rest of the season.

Andy Murray does my nut in to be honest...I do wish he'd hurry up and win a Slam...then the pressure will be off for all of us lol.

Solerina

Solerina

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 23 Feb 2011, 4:06 pm

I think it was a good decision, a lot of the top players had a pretty rough season last year and the AO always throws up a few injuries, its a kind of pressure valve for what they did the year before, almost a litmus test to what their body is going to be like from then on.

Nadal and Murray (and others) have both taken time off to get ready for the next load of masters and slams.

Murray is always tweaking his game, so things like this will happen, don't think its bad enough to worry, but he has to nurse it to make sure its good to go for the rest of the year.

He did play DC when he shouldn't have and that resulted in 5/6 months away from the tour, so I think he is a bit more careful now in those types of decision.

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Fri 25 Feb 2011, 9:26 pm

Solerina wrote:With Andy withdrawing from Dubai with an injured wrist, we're going to have to wait until Indian Wells (March 7th) to see him in action again.

I like Indian Wells......hopefully I'll be able to catch most of Andy's matches...........I hope his wrist injury isn't going to plague him for the rest of the season.

Andy Murray does my nut in to be honest...I do wish he'd hurry up and win a Slam...then the pressure will be off for all of us lol.

Solerina

I think most fans would agree - it's like a roller coaster ride following him.

One thing for sure if he is going to start winning them (and hopefully he is) he must get a coach, albeit even on a part time basis, and preferably one that has been there, done it and has got the "T" shirt to prove it Wink

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by Solerina Fri 25 Feb 2011, 10:02 pm

sportslover wrote:

I think most fans would agree - it's like a roller coaster ride following him.

One thing for sure if he is going to start winning them (and hopefully he is) he must get a coach, albeit even on a part time basis, and preferably one that has been there, done it and has got the "T" shirt to prove it Wink

Hello sportslover.........welcome to the forum.

You're right about Andy needing a coach.

Anyone know what's happening about Andy's coach situation?

Solerina

Solerina

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 26 Feb 2011, 12:07 am

Sportslover, yep, I must agree, someone who has the advice to give him, from one who has the experience of breaking through that barrier.

Back to top Go down

Post by yummymummy Mon 28 Feb 2011, 6:23 pm

Hailmary wrote:
Cymru1991 wrote:Personally, I'm a huge Andy Murray fan, so I'll be watching and cheering him on!Very Happy

I personally hate him. Hate the fact that the whole country bum him when it (ref to sky sports) is winning and when it loses we all drink more single malt whiskey. Smileyface. Ficklebritton.

Haven't we met on 606 somewhere *Hailmary*

You sound like one of the WUMS over there Sad

yummymummy

Back to top Go down

Post by Solerina Mon 07 Mar 2011, 12:08 pm

I'm bumping this thread up to post Andy's match times at Indian Wells.

I'll put them on here as soon as I know....or could someone else do it please... should you find out before I do......thanks : )

I think we'll use this thread for any Andy comments and chat during IW............I'm thinking that this thread's more prominent than the ones in Andy's pub section......it might encourage a bit more Andy talk......which is sadly lacking on this forum at the moment I feel.

Good luck Andy ! : )

Solerina

Would you think I was a miserable git....if I reminded you not to go too mad with the use of smileys in posts on the main tennis forum?..........so we can keep the site as work friendly as possible.....thankyou : )

Solerina

Back to top Go down

Post by Solerina Sat 12 Mar 2011, 1:19 pm

Andy v Donald Young tonight 10.00pm UK time.

Good luck Andy Yahoo

Solerina

PS. I know we seem to have a lot of various fan threads, for the main players, in the pub section, but I'll keep this 'AndyMurray' thread bumped up on here, whenever Andy is playing, with match times and results.

Just to make it easy for casual observers, from other parts of the board, who aren't necessarily Andy/tennis fans, to check how our boy is doing.

It was also the very first thread on the tennis forum so it deserves it's place on here : )

I'm waffling nonsense now........it's the time of year.......Cheltenham Festival nerves are starting to set in..lol.

Solerina

Solerina

Back to top Go down

Post by Solerina Sun 13 Mar 2011, 9:34 am

What happened to Andy? I'm in a tearing hurry......I can't quite work it out by reading the other thread.......did he lose?!!

Can't find my way round my new computer yet......got no favourites up....with tennis sites etc.......can someone post result here for when I get back later.

thanks

Solerina

Solerina

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Sun 13 Mar 2011, 9:43 am

He got beat Sad

D Young (USA) d [5] A Murray (GBR) 76(4) 63

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by yummymummy Sun 13 Mar 2011, 9:44 am

He lost Crying or Very sad

6-7 3-6 !!!!!!!!!

yummymummy

Back to top Go down

Post by yummymummy Sun 13 Mar 2011, 9:45 am

Snap !!!!

Whistle

yummymummy

Back to top Go down

Post by Wooffie Sun 13 Mar 2011, 11:25 am

I'm following a blog of someone who's in IW and she caught a bit of the match. She's American, and doesn't seem to like Donald Young at all - calling him the US version of Tomic, and that he's a bit bratty. Anyhow, she said that she didn't think Murray was in the mood for it, Young stopped being impatient, slowed down, got into a groove and beat him.

I know he's been a few weeks out with no play, so there is rustiness, but outdoor hardcourts are his best surface and he's only one tournie left before the clay season, which isn't.
Wooffie
Wooffie

Back to top Go down

Post by yummymummy Sun 13 Mar 2011, 2:24 pm

I kinda got that impression watching Andys' pre-match interview aired
on Sky Sports Wooffie !

He came across as fatalistic in a kind of *lets just see how things
pan out* attitude - No "I want to win this match" attitude at all
Erm

Maybe he's just gone off tennis , or perhaps he's thinking of a
career in doubles :huh:

yummymummy

Back to top Go down

Post by yummymummy Sun 13 Mar 2011, 5:12 pm

http://www.bing.com/search?q=REM%20%20_%20Mad%20World&pc=conduit&form=CONTLB&ptag=A790683AF96594DFB97F&conlogo=CT2905155

Maybe Andy should listen and learn !!!!!

yummymummy

Back to top Go down

Post by Solerina Sun 13 Mar 2011, 5:56 pm

Thanks for posting the result folks.

It's very disappointing.

Yummy.....you could very well be right.......maybe Andy has gone off tennis.

Solerina

Solerina

Back to top Go down

Post by yummymummy Sun 13 Mar 2011, 8:51 pm

It's all in his head Solerina - Of that I am sure kiss

yummymummy

Back to top Go down

Post by Solerina Tue 22 Mar 2011, 11:58 am

Hi Andy fans........I'm thinking of moving this thread to Andy's pub section?

It keeps slipping down the forum, here, on the main tennis forum.

What do you think?

I haven't moved a thread before.........it could end up in Golf! Erm

Solerina

Solerina

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Tue 22 Mar 2011, 1:23 pm

A general thread for Andy Noel & Roger + a n others???

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by yummymummy Tue 22 Mar 2011, 5:46 pm

VERY GOOD IDEA Solerina thumbsup

But perhaps a more eye-catching title is called for Hug

Whistle

Any suggestions folks (But keep it clean) thumbsup

yummymummy

Back to top Go down

Post by Solerina Tue 22 Mar 2011, 9:13 pm

I've managed to move the thread successfully........congratulations to me! Yahoo

Solerina

Solerina

Back to top Go down

Post by Solerina Wed 23 Mar 2011, 11:48 am

sportslover wrote:A general thread for Andy Noel & Roger + a n others???

Maybe we should have a general thread on the main tennis forum titled something like.... "General Tennis Chit Chat".

For those wishing to chat ,or make a comment about something, but don't feel it warrants a new thread being started........just sort of general tennis waffle.

You can start one up if you like sportslover.......if that's the sort of thing you meant : )

It might encourage a bit more chat on the main tennis forum.

Solerina

Solerina

Back to top Go down

Post by Solerina Fri 25 Mar 2011, 8:56 am

Miami 2011 - R2 Andy v Alexander Bogomolov Jr. - Friday 25th March 6.00pm approx.

Come on Andy Yahoo

Solerina

Solerina

Back to top Go down

Post by yummymummy Fri 25 Mar 2011, 10:49 am

My post got lost Whistle

Come On Andy !!! Yahoo

yummymummy

Back to top Go down

Post by MTS1 Fri 25 Mar 2011, 11:39 am