The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Murray - You Won Queens, But You Won't Win Wimbledon

+30
masterplanl
beeman
daraghj82
consigliare
monty junior
boromir
letigre
lydian
ironclad
erictheblueuk
Calder106
camerajuan
Tom_____
dummy_half
super_realist
superochog
Davie
socal1976
Boston Exile
braveheart101
legendkillar
CaledonianCraig
Josiah Maiestas
pauline1981
Mad for Chelsea
Enforcer
sportslover
yummymummy
BigSal
ROBBO_WONT_BE_CHAMP_AGAIN
34 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Murray -  You Won Queens, But You Won't Win Wimbledon Empty Murray - You Won Queens, But You Won't Win Wimbledon

Post by ROBBO_WONT_BE_CHAMP_AGAIN Mon 13 Jun - 15:31

Well Andy Murray just celebrated like he had won a grand slam title. SO what he wins Queens again, but the fact of the matter is he will not win Wimbledon. He will never win a Grand Slam, cos he isnt good enough.

If he plays Fed, Rafa or Novak they will destroy him.

Back to top Go down

Murray -  You Won Queens, But You Won't Win Wimbledon Empty Re: Murray - You Won Queens, But You Won't Win Wimbledon

Post by BigSal Mon 13 Jun - 15:36

Didnt take the haters long today 🤦

BigSal

Back to top Go down

Murray -  You Won Queens, But You Won't Win Wimbledon Empty Re: Murray - You Won Queens, But You Won't Win Wimbledon

Post by ROBBO_WONT_BE_CHAMP_AGAIN Mon 13 Jun - 15:39

not being a hater mate, just stating the truth

Back to top Go down

Post by yummymummy Mon 13 Jun - 15:40

LEGEND !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yummymummy

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Mon 13 Jun - 15:45

Wow a touch of the old 606 wumming.

Don't get much of that on this forum fortunately thumbsup

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by ROBBO_WONT_BE_CHAMP_AGAIN Mon 13 Jun - 15:46

why is it wumming, sportslover? So are you telling me he has a chance to win Wimbledon?

Back to top Go down

Post by Enforcer Mon 13 Jun - 15:47

ROBBO_WONT_BE_CHAMP_AGAIN wrote:not being a hater mate, just stating the truth

Saying someone won't win something isn't truth, it is an opinion. It may turn out that your opinion is correct, or it may be proved wrong.

The truth is that Andy Murray is currently the fourth best tennis player in the world (a feat that shouldn't be overlooked). Which means there are three players better than him who have a better chance of winning Wimbledon.

So the chances are you will be correct with your opinion, but it still doesn't make it the truth.

Enforcer
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon 13 Jun - 15:47

calling all sensible posters

If we all ignore this thread it will bump down to the bottom of the page, and gradually disappear altogether, so let's not bother replying...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by pauline1981 Mon 13 Jun - 15:53

i agree andy has a chance if he can avoid top 3 players

pauline1981

Back to top Go down

Post by ROBBO_WONT_BE_CHAMP_AGAIN Mon 13 Jun - 16:16

Mad for Chelsea wrote:calling all sensible posters

If we all ignore this thread it will bump down to the bottom of the page, and gradually disappear altogether, so let's not bother replying...

grow up mate. As a 'chelsea fan' you come across like a Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by yummymummy Mon 13 Jun - 16:18

ROBBO_WONT_BE_CHAMP_AGAIN wrote:
Mad for Chelsea wrote:calling all sensible posters

grow up mate. As a 'chelsea fan' you come across like a Cat

And you come across like a trouble maker !!!

yummymummy

Back to top Go down

Post by pauline1981 Mon 13 Jun - 16:19

robbo you made a valid point good comment

pauline1981

Back to top Go down

Post by yummymummy Mon 13 Jun - 16:31

pauline1981 wrote:robbo you made a valid point good comment
🤦

yummymummy

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Mon 13 Jun - 16:35

After watching Nadal cruise past Murray at the French, despite not playing his highest level, it's pretty obvious that Murray needs A LOT of results to go his way before the semi's and the final.

He is never going to be aggresive enough to win against the top 3.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by yummymummy Mon 13 Jun - 16:39

Where ARE you people coming from ?

Are you bored because the football season has closed for a while ?

yummymummy

Back to top Go down

Post by Enforcer Mon 13 Jun - 16:47

yummymummy wrote:Where ARE you people coming from ?

Are you bored because the football season has closed for a while ?

Yummy, there will be people posting over the next three weeks who don't want or don't think Murray can win Wimbledon. If you disagree with them that is fine, but give reasons why you believe they are wrong.

Tennis is going to get busier with the added attention (I hope!) and rather than accuse them of being bored why not take the opportunity to debate with new people and encourage them to continue posting post-Wimbledon?

Enforcer
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Mon 13 Jun - 16:54

He waits too long to play attacking tennis and put the pressure on, he needs to look at Djokovic, who himself used to be too defensive, but has now shown what can happen if you go closer to the lines and take the impetus with aggresion.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 13 Jun - 16:55

The original poster is further from reality than Murray fans though. He says Murray 'will never win a slam' (in his opinion) which he is entitled to but I think it is a very odd thing to say considering Andy has already been to three slam finals so it is not like he is many miles away from winning one already is he? In his three finals he lost to Federer in the US Open after having less than a day's recovery time from a gruelling semi against Rafa Nadal, Federer again in the Australian Open with Fed feeling it was the best he had ever player and against Djokovic this year in the Australian Open who went on a record breaking unbeaten run where nobody (even Nadal and Federer) could beat him. Yet the OP feel Andy will never win a slam? I'd fully understand and perhaps agree if Andy was losing in slams early doors but no he is now consistently in slam semis and even finals so who knows.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by yummymummy Mon 13 Jun - 16:56

Because I've been there and got the T-Shirt Enforcer !

I don't object to a logical argument but I WILL NOT tolerate
people taking the .... out of Murray just because of a remark
he made when he was 18yrs old.

yummymummy

Back to top Go down

Post by Enforcer Mon 13 Jun - 17:06

Craig, I agree entirely with your post. I find it amazing that people think a three time finalist has 'no chance', but if they think that then I don't have a problem.

Josiah, I think that he could be more aggresive at times and try to finish points earlier - but that could drive his unforced error count up so maybe he is worried about that?

Yummy, nobody mentioned his football opinions.

Enforcer
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 13 Jun - 17:08

I don't have a problem with it either if that is what they think but do you think there was any need for him to call Murray a joker? That is the term of a WUM.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Enforcer Mon 13 Jun - 17:16

There wasn't a need for it, but sometimes things like that reflect on the person making the comment more than the subject they are discussing.

Enforcer
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 13 Jun - 17:25

Well should they be commenting if they can't comment without personal insults to players or perhaps he should think about editing his post. Also rewording the topic title as well as it comes across as very WUMmish. Something like:'Murray won't win Wimbledon' would have sufficed.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by yummymummy Mon 13 Jun - 17:32

Enforcer wrote:Craig, I agree entirely with your post. I find it amazing that people think a three time finalist has 'no chance', but if they think that then I don't have a problem.

Josiah, I think that he could be more aggresive at times and try to finish points earlier - but that could drive his unforced error count up so maybe he is worried about that?

Yummy, nobody mentioned his football opinions.

Only Moi enforcer - But then again I posted on 606 for nearly 3 years

STOP being so obliging and get rid of the Wums please !

Enough is enough !!

yummymummy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon 13 Jun - 17:36

just ignore them yummy, if you ignore them they go away. Let's just be happy with celebrating Andy's first title of the year, his game being in great shape, and his ankle getting back to where it should be

Yahoo

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 13 Jun - 17:48

WickhamWonderland wrote:Basically if Murray does win then this poster is going to look like a moron!

I disagree there. It doesn't need Murray to win Wimbledon to do that. Now the OP hates Murray which is his perrogative but if he truly wants to discuss tennis why not do so in a more positive manner discussing his favourite player (if he has one) instead.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Mon 13 Jun - 17:50

Guys I changed the title of the thread so it doesn't seem like another 'hate murray article'

The post the OP made himself was stating an opinion and wasn't being abusive towards the player he is commenting about.

Please can we debate this in a sensible manner and not resort to winding each other up and insulting.

That goes to the OP and the posters replying.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by yummymummy Mon 13 Jun - 17:53

legendkillar wrote:Guys I changed the title of the thread so it doesn't seem like another 'hate murray article'

The post the OP made himself was stating an opinion and wasn't being abusive towards the player he is commenting about.

Please can we debate this in a sensible manner and not resort to winding each other up and insulting.

That goes to the OP and the posters replying.

I will if THEY will Legend !

yummymummy

Back to top Go down

Post by braveheart101 Mon 13 Jun - 17:55

pauline1981 wrote:i agree andy has a chance if he can avoid top 3 players
The only way that will happen is if 2 of them lose before the semi final and final as Murray is seeded 4 and I cant see that happening. When was the last time that 1 of Federer, Nadal and Djokovic failed to reach a Grand Slam Final

braveheart101

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 13 Jun - 17:57

legend - Fair enough but please can you edit the post as well. Labelling the world No.4 and three times slam finalist a joker is nothing but a wind-up to start.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by yummymummy Mon 13 Jun - 17:58

And isn't changing the title so it *doesn't seem like another
"hate Murray" article rather defying the roll of a Moderator ?

yummymummy

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Mon 13 Jun - 18:01

Guys I have made the change.

Please can we debate respectfully.

Thanks.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Enforcer Mon 13 Jun - 18:52

yummymummy wrote:And isn't changing the title so it *doesn't seem like another
"hate Murray" article rather defying the roll of a Moderator ?

The Admin Team will define the role of a moderator, not anyone else. This matter is closed debate the topic or ignore the thread.

Enforcer
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Boston Exile Tue 14 Jun - 5:22

Well I believe they quoted today that he is the first British multiple winner of Queens since 1931 (some guy I'd never heard of, but not Perry or Austin). I like Tsonga, he's a banana skin for all the top players, he's well capable of turning over any of them but he rarely does it consistently enough to win loads of tournaments. Murray outlasted him and after a sticky start finally outplayed him. Against Roddick, a highly talented grass court player he simply breezed him aside, not sure if I've seen anyone beat him so comprehensively. That's not bad form to take in to Wimbledon.

Not sure what the draw is (may not be out yet) but he will probably have to beat 2 of the 3 guys ahead of him. Federer is still a magnificent player but doesn't look on top form. Nadal pushes himself like no other, if his body holds out I fancy he'll win it, but he could as easily injure himself. Going out early from Queens at least gives him more rest which I think he needs. Djoko has been in brilliant form for 6 months but very difficult to keep maintaining it and be interesting to see how he reacts after his Paris loss, on the other-hand I think he wants Wimbledon badly.

Murray frustrates me, he has all the shots but is too often reserved, timid even, he's like the football team who want to walk the ball into the net. He will be well supported but think people are getting realistic about his chances. Will he win, probably not, semi-final looks likely. Can he win, most definitely, if you get to multiple slam finals or win Masters then you are in the mix. If he does win watch for the surge of kids all over Britain picking up a racquet. He may win it for himself but the country's tennis community will benefit.

BTW - who would have thought a young qualifier like Becker had a chance.

Boston Exile

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 14 Jun - 6:34

Good post Boston exile, I actually think Murray is tied for 3rd favorite in this wimby with Djokovic. Roger I don't think has been in bad form, he played brilliantly in the french open especially in that he was getting a very high percentage of 1st serves in, if he serves that way at Wimby I think he would be my co-favorite along with Rafa. Rafa hasn't looked in great form but he is still a two time champion and 4 time finalist.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 14 Jun - 7:48

Personally, I'd make Roger Federer favourite. Just as Rafael Nadal is the 'King of Clay' then Roger Federer is the 'King of Grass' and he showed a return to form by giving Rafa a scare in the French Open Final so I make him favourite. Rafa looked jaded at Queen's Club (understandably) so now he has had the chance to recharge his batteries he'll be a contender and second favourite for me. Novak Djokovic has been in immense form this year (the player of the year) and has had a chance to recharge his batteries as well but grass court is not his strongest surface and he comes into it without any grass court match practice of note. Andy comes into the tournament on the back of his best clay court season of his career and a perfect start to his grass court season with his win yesterday so I'd say that form makes him a little more likely to win than Novak. I can see all four reaching the semis (as was the case in Roland Garros) and so once in the semis anything can happen so of course Andy has a chance. For the original poster to totally dismiss his chances shows a severe lack of tennis knowledge. Andy has the talent, the fitness, the fighting spirit to win a slam and it is just a matter of him staying 'in the zone' or 'fully-focussed' as he was against Roddick the other day and he can do it but will he? Time will tell but it sure as hell beats watching Wimbledon as a Brit wetting myself if a Brit got to the Second Round a la Chris Eaton (remember him)?
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 14 Jun - 9:13

Yes, Caledonian, I never understood this antipathy towards murray from a lot people who should be supporting him. The guy is easily the best tennis player britain has produced in 70 years, and the cupboard after him is completely bare, so why not be positive and hope that he can break the lengthy losing streak. As a Djokovic fan I am also worried that he hasn't played a tournament on Grass, if he runs into a big server in the early rounds who is on fire then it could be curtains. I think if he can get past the first couple of rounds he could win it all.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue 14 Jun - 10:55

What annoys me with Murray is, he becomes a nervous wreck when playing the semi's or final.

Guy needs to treat the latter ends of big tournaments like it's just another match and forget what stage of the tournament it is.

Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue 14 Jun - 11:01

socal - why do you say we *should* be supporting him? Just because he is British?

I don't like Murray, I don't like Rooney or Gerrard. I don't like Martin Laird (upcoming British golfer). I don't like Ian Bell (cricket). I don't like Ronnie O'Sullivan or John Higgins. There are plenty of British sportsmen I *do* like. Also plenty of non-British sportsmen I like and dislike.

I see no reason to "like" someone just because of the country they represent

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 14 Jun - 11:06

"What annoys me with Murray is, he becomes a nervous wreck when playing the semi's or final"

You don't get annoyed much then I presume, as he has played pretty damn good in all the finals I've seen against the top player that year. Maybe you are the ones asking too much of him, over-rating his abilities and berating him when he doesn't win.

You may have an opinion, but its clouded by your own extreme expectations.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 14 Jun - 11:11

Davie, I think its called allegiance to the flag or loyalty to one's fellow countryman, you don't have to like him, but we can show him some support and hope he wins it for British tennis.

Back to top Go down

Post by superochog Tue 14 Jun - 11:40

I am British but ethnically not British. I am very loyal and support England in World Cup football, Olympics etc. I think FA should really have GB team for football.

Back to tennis - tennis is a very individual sports and one doesn't have to like their countryman/woman. However, like Jubbahey said it is nice to show some support. Andy is an interesting case because of few things ; firstly I know many English friends of mine gets annoyed when people carry Scottish flag during Andy's match. There is nothing wrong but to many English it sort of says "he is ours and you don't have the right to call him British". Secondly; people like my mother in law who is a neutral in tennis can't stand Andy's behaviour on court - very moddy, clumsy walks, and too much muttering and when he showed his biceps few years ago that was it for her - she dislikes him completely now.

Personally for me - I would be happy to see his win wimbledon to inspire next British tennis players. I think he is a nice lad but not good at communicating. God luck andy and good luck RAFa Hug

superochog

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 14 Jun - 11:47

He's a lot more articulate than people give him credit for. It's clear he's not keen on the media element of the game and although he's quite monotone he's got a dry sense of humour and is actually insightful, which is a damn (can I say that or is it considered a swear word) sight more than the mono brain celled footballers like "em", "you know", "obviously" "over the moon" like Gerrard and Rooney can do.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue 14 Jun - 11:53

Jubbahey wrote:"What annoys me with Murray is, he becomes a nervous wreck when playing the semi's or final"

You don't get annoyed much then I presume, as he has played pretty damn good in all the finals I've seen against the top player that year. Maybe you are the ones asking too much of him, over-rating his abilities and berating him when he doesn't win.

You may have an opinion, but its clouded by your own extreme expectations.

Oh believe me, i was 1 of those who always insisted that Federer would play differently against Murray than how he was playing him in the MS Bo3's...

You had to endure false claims that Murray was tactically superior to Federer and Djokovic just because those 2 guys had gifted a lot of free points in the lesser events, but when the slams came around they were much better than him.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Tue 14 Jun - 11:55

"What annoys me with Murray is, he becomes a nervous wreck when playing the semi's or final"

Must be some player then, having beaten Nadal twice while being a nervous wreck...

For my money, I still don't give Andy a really strong chance of winning this Wimbledon - as I put elsewhere I can't split Nadal and Federer as favourites, and reckon they each have about a 1 in 3 chance . I then think Djokovic is third favourite with about a 1 in 5 chance (noting both that Djoko hasn't a great history as a grass court player and there have to be question marks if the end of the streak will have an adverse effect), with Murray as 4th favourite at about a 1 in 10 chance.

Oh, and I'm a Murray fan, but just trying to be realistic - on grass it will be a big task for him to get the better of two other members of the top 4, assuming he even makes it that far into the tournament.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 14 Jun - 12:02

Hope Nadal doesn't win, I hate that Pirate coin biting celebration. Extremely annoying.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom_____ Tue 14 Jun - 12:02

ROBBO_WONT_BE_CHAMP_AGAIN wrote:Well Andy Murray just celebrated like he had won a grand slam title 'imo'. SO what he wins Queens again, but 'i don't think' he will win Wimbledon. 'I don't think' he will ever win a Grand Slam, cos i don't think he is good enough.

If he plays Fed, Rafa or Novak 'i think' they will destroy him.

For me, for this article to not be an irritant, it would be written as above.

Tom_____

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue 14 Jun - 12:03

So long as it isn't a walkover for a final again,

I mean cmon, Berdych? Lol
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by camerajuan Tue 14 Jun - 12:41

I can't believe the narrow mindedness of the OP and the haters.

They keep saying how Rafa brushed Andy aside at the FO and giving that as evidence(not just on here). They all forget that Rafa has just lost on grass to the world number 19 whom Andy just beat.

On their day, any player is capable of beating ANY player no matter the ranking or history. Did anybody HONESTLY think that James Ward would make the semi finals? AND beat people almost 200 ranking place above him?? Thats the equivalent likelihood of me beating Christian Malcolm or Marlon Devonish this year.

Andy could win Wimbledon. He could. And for any human being to say that he never will is just ridiculous, petty and an infantile statement.

I hope he does win Wimbledon. This page will explode.

camerajuan

https://www.youtube.com/user/pondguard22?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post by Enforcer Tue 14 Jun - 12:43

If Murray is in the final we might just shut the tennis page for the day laughing

Enforcer
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next