The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Yuriorkis Gamboa

+5
spencerclarke
88Chris05
TopHat24/7
azania
DaveVDK
9 posters

Go down

Yuriorkis Gamboa Empty Yuriorkis Gamboa

Post by DaveVDK Wed 4 Jan - 20:32

How far do you see him going? talent-wise he has all the makings of an all time great, fast hands with one punch power in both, classy footwork and very good balance and lateral movement. The only factor that could hold him back may be his chin, realisticaly how good do you think hell be remembered when his career is over?

DaveVDK

Back to top Go down

Yuriorkis Gamboa Empty Re: Yuriorkis Gamboa

Post by azania Wed 4 Jan - 20:35

A lot depends on him. As you mentioned, he has all the tools to ge a more than decent player. But can he stay away from all the bright lights? A lot of Cubans have wasted their talents once they see the bright lights.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 4 Jan - 20:43

He needs to be more active in my opinion. Could clean up SFW and LW divisions right now, tho I still want to see the Juanma fight at FW first.

His greatness/legacy will require a super fight with Donaire but I don't see it happening unless Flash starts moving up in weight soon (which he definitely has the frame and ability to do).

Gamboa's other issue is his age, probably only got 3 yrs left in him as he defected so late.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 4 Jan - 20:52

Outrageous talent, so far only partially fulfilled. Am slightly disappointed with his lack of activity as well as his choice of next opponent given that he's already thirty, but when he's in full flow he's an absolute joy to watch.

Would dearly have loved to see Gamboa-Donaire this year, but it's looking unlikely seeing as Gamboa is looking to move up. Donaire might be a huge Bantamweight, but fighting as high as Super-Featherweight might be too much of a stretch even for him.

Should imagine we'll be seeing Gamboa at Lightweight within the next twelve to eighteen months, where I think he could totally blitz Guerrero, Rios and Burns. Chuck Broner in to the mix, and there's plenty there for him if he wants it. It's within his capabilities to become the best fighter on the planet if he wants it badly enough, but he'll need to get a move on. Right now he's very, very good. But he could be great.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 4 Jan - 20:54

I dont think age is that much of a factor. He can go on for another 5 years without noticeably slowing down (modern nutrition Whistle )

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Wed 4 Jan - 22:57

He needs some big names on his cv. More than capable of beating them if he gets in there with them

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 5 Jan - 9:52

If he's moving up to LW I think he needs to seriously think about holding his hands a little bit higher, he holds them lower than flippin' Naz!!! Bigger guys hit harder and he might want to just watch out for big hitters with those hands so low.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Fri 6 Jan - 1:10

He runs the risk of going like Joan Guzman if he doesn't get his finger out, great talent.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by dangerous_mouse Fri 6 Jan - 1:49

Have been thinking of asking the guys here on 606 the same question for a while now. Cant for the love of me think why this guy isnt clearing up sfw and lw. Really cant see him being beat and a shame he isn't in the light... or is he generally inactive?

dangerous_mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by The Sweet Science UK Fri 6 Jan - 15:29

Really is a great talent but he needs to get himself more active like others have said.

There are some fantastic fights out there for him. The likes of Broner, Burns & Rios (if he stays at this weight).

Does anyone know when his next fight is?
The Sweet Science UK
The Sweet Science UK

http://thesweetscienceuk.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down