The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Debate of the day - day 2

+3
talkingpoint
Enforcer
Adam D
7 posters

Go down

Debate of the day - day 2 Empty Debate of the day - day 2

Post by Adam D Wed 16 Mar 2011, 9:37 am

M' kay, I thought I would go with something different today.

The Wrestling Hall of Fame.

And more precisely, NOT the "WWE" Wrestling Hall of Fame.

As we all know, the WWW HOF is about who gets on with Vince and will help elevate the WWE to new audiences (what other reason could Drew Carey be going in there?). It also looks like some people who should be in there, will never make it due to vendettas held by the Mcmahon family - The Ultimate Warrior and Savage being the obvious two that spring to mind.

So what does it actually mean to be a HOFer? Well not much to be honest - its a slap on the back for those in it, but it loses credibility due to the stranglehold that Vince has over the event. The fact it has celebrities and exclusions in it means it shouldnt be held in the same reverance as other HOF in other industries.

So what could be done?

Well how about setting up a proper HoF?

So how and why?

Well this is where I think Dixie should be sending me a royalty check.

You set up the TNA Hall of Fame (or The Wrestling Hall of Fame if you want). You create an attraction at Universal Studios where people can actually go and visit memorabilia and pay for it. If you like, make it like a Planet Hollywood of wrestling.

The difference is, that it includes ALL wrestlers from every organisation, irrespective if they have or do work for TNA. That way, you can still induct true greats who were with WWF/WWE/WCW (such as HBK for example - they dont have to accept but are still inducted) as well as getting in free agents to help promote TNA wherever possible.

So for example, people Like Vader could be inducted and bring in new fans from Japan to TNA. Names like Randy Savage and Warrior would do it for the money.

A TRUE HoF could be built with a proper home for people to visit. And its right next to the Impact tapings.

Kerching, free publicity and dare it say a little respect for wrestlers of years gone by.

Thoughts (especially keen to hear from Dixie Carter on this one)

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Debate of the day - day 2 Empty Re: Debate of the day - day 2

Post by Enforcer Wed 16 Mar 2011, 9:51 am

It is a good idea, not sure on what the legal position would be on inducting wrestlers using their 'WWE' names. Obviously the trademark for most WWE wrestlers in recent history is held by Vince, would he be able to prevent the use of them in the HOF? If so, I can't see it being such an attraction to come and see Michael Hickenbottom and Jim Hellwig being inducted!

If they could do it, TNA would be able to use the increased crowds to boost audience figures for their tv shows - using a bogof offer or something similar.

It's a good idea, but legally I think it would never get off the ground!

Enforcer
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed 16 Mar 2011, 9:56 am

Well Hellwig is legally called Warrior so that wouldnt be a problem!

As for the others, I am sure they would be able to get around it somehow:

Randal Savage (he wrestled for TNA as well)
Andre the Very big Man
Vader could be Vad3r or something like that!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Wed 16 Mar 2011, 10:07 am

who would organise it and what would be the criteria for inductees? former world champions? Grand slam champions? those with the longest careers? Fan favourites? Merch sales? etc

It's a good idea but as wrestling promotions operate independently of each other I don't know who would organise it. I agree though that a HOF should be objective.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Holymiky Wed 16 Mar 2011, 10:16 am

I didn't realise how much of a TNA mark you were Hobo! Confirm/Deny?

I like the ideas and do think that people who deserve to be there should be, not just on who Vince likes etc.

Holymiky

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymru1991 Wed 16 Mar 2011, 10:17 am

Up until last week, I still had a modicum of respect for the WWE HOF so chose to overlook some of the "questionable" inductees, the stupid omissions and the "celebrity wing" as a whole.

But now with Drew Carey going in, I have a noticeably bad taste dwelling in my mouth. Such a shame that like everything else under the McMahon name, it's just another method to increase commercial popularity in the (extremely) short term (because lets face it, how many new permanent fans will be made "because Drew Carey is in their Hall of fame").

Kinda cheapens the names of some of the genuine greats that are in there too... You'd swear the Vince was actually ashamed of wrestling as a product Sad

Last edited by Cymru1991 on Wed 16 Mar 2011, 10:22 am; edited 1 time in total

Cymru1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed 16 Mar 2011, 10:17 am

TNA would run it (but under a different guise).

The criteria would be whatever it needs to be - the point is setting up a "home" of the HoF with people being inducted without restriction due to VKMs mood.

The point of it is to get a real home, that would attract media attention and crowds to TNA.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Wed 16 Mar 2011, 10:24 am

TNA shouldn't be allowed to run it - the company is a mockery of wrestling at times they should not be allowed to organise something as prestigious as a HOF. Sorry Hobo.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed 16 Mar 2011, 10:28 am

I love TNA Miky and want to see it do well. I have said many times that I would rather watch TNA over WWE (although this week they were both must see albeit for different reasons).

When I say TNA run it, I dont mean Bischoff, Hogan et all but the money people behind it should benefit from it.

It would be its own entity but TNA would enjoy some of the benefits.

Like Enforcer mentioned - people who visit the HoF get Impact tickets. Inductees guest on TNA (if allowed/ want to) etc.

The point of it is two fold:

1. Generate interest in TNA and possibly some additional profit
2. Actually create a proper HoF without exclusions

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Wed 16 Mar 2011, 10:46 am

There's already a Pro-Wrestling Hall of Fame with a museum in New York. It's completely independent of any wrestling organisation.

If you want a legit Hall of Fame, there's no point in a wrestling company running it. TNA's HOF would suffer from the same problems as WWE's, in that it would be all subjective. And if there were to be a 'proper' Hall of Fame that fans could visit and see memorabilia etc. why should TNA be allowed to profit from it?

theundisputedY2D2

Location : Down By The Clyde, Near The SECC - You Can't Miss It!

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Wed 16 Mar 2011, 12:58 pm

To be fair, The WWE and more imporatantly Vince McMahon himself wanted The Ultimate Warrior to headline the Hall Of Fame 2010 but Warrior declined, it was then reported that Vince made him an obscene offer and even made personal phone calls to him, Warrior still declined, I must say though, I always did like Warrior and the fact he did this, mainly in protest of the 'Self Destruction of the Ultimate Warrior' DVD was a classy thing to do, Warrior from all intents and purposes didn't whittle away his cash he made when he was huge in the late 80s early 90s and isn't reliant on the Vince McMahon dollar.

I'm no great fan of the WWE Hall of Fame for many of the reasons listed, but what I would say is that almost no Hall of Fame in any sport or any field is doen without bias, someone somewhere will always be bias for or against one particular person

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down