The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Debate of the day - day 3

+5
theundisputedY2D2
bretmeharty
davidl1061
theanimal316
Adam D
9 posters

Go down

Debate of the day - day 3 Empty Debate of the day - day 3

Post by Adam D Wed 16 Mar 2011, 4:37 pm

A little ahead of schedule but I thought I would post it up ahead of tomorrow!

Controversy creates cash - or so Bischoff once said.

Over the last few years, TNA has tried several things to get that all important breaktrhough in breaking the WWE stranglehold of pro wrestling.

They have signed old timers such as Raven, Rhyno etc

They have signed quality WWE cast offs - Angle and Christian spring to mind

They have signed some newer hot free agents - RVD and Hardy

They have brought back some more WCW guys - Sting for example.

They have pushed some quality programming down our necks in the X Division and Womans division.

They brought back 3 of the biggest names in wrestling EVER - Hogan, Flair and Bischoff.

All of it resulted in a ratings spike (however big or small) but ultimately led to nothing by inept booking.

Now In this time, on 606, it can be said that TNA gets very little column inches. It is liked by about 1% of the 606 populace over WWE (I think RVD, Myself and Fadorock are about the only ones who ever praise it!).

However, this week, TNA had its worst moment in its history with the state of Hardy in the ring in the main event. Sting did what he had to do and did it well.

And what happens - 606 wrestling has never had so many people talking about TNA.

All of the big names, returns, twists etc failed to achieve what a genuine car crash achieved this week. The IWC talking about TNA.

could this actually be the "turning point" for the show. Yes, it has major problems but it also has a wealth of talent in there somewhere.

Could this crazyness be the catalyst that finally pushes TNA to the next level. Could the TNA managements ineptitude in sending Jeff out there actually be the best thing they have ever done to get TNA noticed?

I am not saying for a second that it was planned but do you think that this moment could be the moment that they look back on, where they say - thats the day things changed for TNA.

Thoughts?

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Debate of the day - day 3 Empty Re: Debate of the day - day 3

Post by theanimal316 Wed 16 Mar 2011, 4:44 pm

Great point. I haven't watched TNA in years and only watched the Hardy Sting match because I had heard he was wiped out and wanted to see for myself. I think though that there should be small print on that famous slogan which says:

"Controversy creates cash - but only in the short term"

theanimal316

Back to top Go down

Post by davidl1061 Wed 16 Mar 2011, 4:58 pm

I do watch TNA, and I think the matches are much better than what WWE is showing at the moment, apart from the Hardy debacle of course. The problem I have is the backstage segments and the booking are poor. I generally record impact and fast forward to the matches. I dont really need to know whats happened on the segments as there are that many face and heel turns you can just guess Very Happy

davidl1061

Back to top Go down

Post by bretmeharty Wed 16 Mar 2011, 5:00 pm

The main reason in my opinion it does not succeed is down to the roots of the company.

My main gripe with TNA is they have a wonderfull basis and the groundwork to succeed is already there, it seems because that is the case it must be harder to fail but TNA make it look easy.

There are things (very simple things) they could change and make it really work but out of stubborness and too many big ego's either trying to line their own pockets or trying to get one over on each other but in any case they are all in it for them selves with no structure.

WWE on the other hand and yes they have been around for longer but that should not matter one little bit, all company's at whatever level of growth should have a structure and have one common goal within the company TNA don't.

bretmeharty

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Wed 16 Mar 2011, 5:09 pm

I don't doubt that there are plenty more people like theanimal316 who decided to check out the Sting/Hardy match because they'd heard how bad it was and wanted to see it for themselves. It was a car crash and it's only natural that people would want to have a gander at it.

But to suggest that this could be a turning point for TNA is a bit wide of the mark. The IWC always talks about TNA, but for the most part it's "TNA could be good but......." The Hardy situation won't do anything to change that. TNA will still have flaws, the major one being those in charge of the company. It could be a huge moment for the company if Dixie Carter or Bob Carter or Jimmy Carter or whoever's really in charge fired those responsible for sending Hardy out to the ring when he was in 'no condition to perform'. But we all know that won't happen. And do you see Hogan, Bischoff or Russo accepting responsibility for it and falling on their sword? No chance.

I would love to see TNA succeed, I really would. The talent they have is second to none and they've come up with some really good concepts and in the past have done things really well (most notably the X Division, Knockouts and tag team division) that sets them apart from WWE. But the bad outweighs the good and has done for some time.

They may well gain a few extra viewers who want to see what all the hoopla surrounding Jeff Hardy is about, but they won't stay around for very long. And who's to say that they won't lose viewers who are disgusted that those charged with running the company sent out a wrestler who was a liability to himself and his opponent?

theundisputedY2D2

Location : Down By The Clyde, Near The SECC - You Can't Miss It!

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Wed 16 Mar 2011, 7:01 pm

I don't think this incident will prove a turning point in viewership if that makes sense. It could be a turning point in the booking to make sure this doesn't happen again and from this the product on the whole improves, which brings in more viewers.

However people love to gossip and this epic fail on the part of Hardy is just good gossip - is TNA finished? Is Hardy finished? Are they going to share a mass grave? etc

The IWC loves to feel a sense of inflated importance or ego because we can use markish jargon when discussing wrestling but ultimately we still watch WWE and TNA no matter how bad it gets because we can't bring ourselves to move on and find another sport/general interest to occupy our time.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by bretmeharty Wed 16 Mar 2011, 7:18 pm

I don't think this incident will prove a turning point in viewership if that makes sense. It could be a turning point in the booking to make sure this doesn't happen again and from this the product on the whole improves, which brings in more viewers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Judging by the 2 impacts coming up talkingpoint it hasn't changed the short-term booking at least which by reading them they sound awful tbh

bretmeharty

Back to top Go down

Post by randy-poffo Wed 16 Mar 2011, 8:48 pm

I would love for TNA to become a major player a start to get the ratings to worry the WWE,but with the short term booking,lack of putting the right stars in the spotlight,it just won't happen.
Around the time i first started watching TNA,the Christian Coilation time,it was a much more balanced show,giving time to all the divisions and it was something new and unique to me.

randy-poffo

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Wed 16 Mar 2011, 11:35 pm

Totally agree i thought 2006/07 was a lot better in terms of who got TV time, after that Angle would be in 8 segments a weej and it got harder and harder sharing the TV time

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cena's Speech writer Thu 17 Mar 2011, 1:53 pm

This won't herald a sea-change in TNA's fortunes unless Hogan and Bischoff get the bullet for letting Hardy go out there in the first place.

I'm a little confused as to why everyone keeps crying out for Russo's head. He was, after all, WWE writer during the Attitude era (Everyone's favourite 'E period), and joined the company in 2002 (I think)

I'm not saying he's not an issue, I'm just surprised that everyone thinks that he's part of the main issue, alongside Hogan and Bischoff....

John Cena's Speech writer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 17 Mar 2011, 1:58 pm

John,

Russo was part of the attitude era but left in 1999 to go to WCW, he came back in 2002 but left pretty quicklt for TNA.

Back to top Go down

Post by randy-poffo Thu 17 Mar 2011, 6:23 pm

Russo was held on a leash by Vince when he was working in the WWE,and all his ideas were checked before they went to air.
It was diffrent in WCW and he seemed to have the power to do what the hell he wanted,which finished up a disaster.

randy-poffo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down