The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kell Brook - How far can he go 2012?

+13
AlexHuckerby
Waingro
d260005p
Lance
azania
JabMachine
davidemore
manos de piedra
Fists of Fury
KingMonkey
Imperial Ghosty
88Chris05
spencerclarke
17 posters

Go down

Kell Brook - How far can he go 2012? Empty Kell Brook - How far can he go 2012?

Post by spencerclarke Wed 04 Jan 2012, 10:00 pm

Wondered how everyone thinks Kell Brook will get on in 2012. Also as his next fight is in Sheffield Arena, who do you think he will be lining up against? It's a decent sized arena so that would suggest someone fairly well known. Ortiz and Berto are tied up fighting each other and the Jones fight (if it happens this year) will probably be once at least one of them has a title.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Kell Brook - How far can he go 2012? Empty Re: Kell Brook - How far can he go 2012?

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 04 Jan 2012, 10:18 pm

Give Brook a fight with Senchenko, Berto or Ortiz now and he beats any of them in my opinion. Obviously, the latter two are tied up, and the former will probably be in Hearn and Brook's sights later this year after a couple of fights against solid opposition at world level. But at some stage in 2012, that's the level I think he should be at.

In the mean time, for his next fight someone along the lines of Malignaggi or Clottey would be decent enough an opponent, I'd think. He'd beat both of them by wide points margins but learn something from each.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Kell Brook - How far can he go 2012? Empty Re: Kell Brook - How far can he go 2012?

Post by spencerclarke Wed 04 Jan 2012, 10:21 pm

Any chance they would put him in with Matthew Hatton? Solid fighter but not likely to derail him. Could be a nice tune up to a world title fight.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 04 Jan 2012, 10:28 pm

Possibly, but my general feeling is that a Brook-Hatton fight needed to happen twelve to eighteen months ago rather than now. I think Brook and his team are looking at achieving international recognition now to add to Brook's lure for the belt holders / big names Stateside, and I'm not sure that fighting Hatton gets him that. Stranger things have happened though, I guess.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 04 Jan 2012, 10:31 pm

Is Clottey still active Chris?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 04 Jan 2012, 10:37 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Is Clottey still active Chris?

Not sure, pretty sure he's fought since Pacquiao but have no idea who against or what the result was.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Wed 04 Jan 2012, 10:39 pm

yeah he is I remember hearing he had a second round win in november

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Wed 04 Jan 2012, 10:39 pm

Just had a look, Calvin Green

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 04 Jan 2012, 10:42 pm

Calvin Green whoever that is but weighed in at 156lbs and considering the size of him have to question whether he could still make Welterweight but if he can then definitely a stern test for someone like Brook.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Wed 04 Jan 2012, 10:49 pm

I hope they put a decent card on as I'm looking at going along.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Thu 05 Jan 2012, 10:14 am

Last time I saw Clottey he wasn't active.....

This is definitely the year for Brook to push on though. He looks in great condition and has some serious ability so it's all about the match ups now. Malignaggi is the obvious gatekeeper but I'm sure there are other options available. A couple more undercard fights on major bills won't hurt.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 05 Jan 2012, 10:39 am

I can actually see Brook unifying the welterweight division once Manny and Floyd move on - or am I being overly optimistic? Totally agree with Chris in that he beats Berto, Ortiz and Senchenko, and would see him having too much for Jones, as well.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Thu 05 Jan 2012, 11:01 am

Senchenko is highly unlikely to leave Ukraine and fight Brook in my view. Im not sure that fight would come off. Senchenko will probably just defend in Ukraine for another couple of years before retiring. Cant see him fancying taking on Brook.

I see Berto, Ortiz, Mosely, Judah and Malignaggi as the kind of opponents that Brook will look to face. They all bring decent financial opportunities and have high level exposure in America where Brook will want recognition. Of all the champions in 147 th winner of Berto/Ortiz looks the likliest option. Although if Pacquiao vacates his WBO for one reason or another Brook is will placed to fight an eliminator for it. Possibly against Mike Jones.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Thu 05 Jan 2012, 11:37 am

Brook is the future of British boxing, not Amir.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachine Thu 05 Jan 2012, 11:53 am

I'm set to spar with him ahead of his fight in March, I know he's picked 5 fighters, I only know of one other who's a big jabber, I'm more of a counterpuncher so I'm thinking he's going for a challenging fight rather than to look good. We're both Southpaw too - if it were against Mike Jones I don't think we'd have been called in.

Anything you'd like me to test Kell on? I don't think I'll be hitting his chin, I think he'll be hitting mine a lot - me and the other guy are in for 6 rounds each so I may have to test his stamina or I may have to deal with a fast opening round - I've watched a few of his fights quite recently (this, for me is like me competing for a world title!) and I believe he leaves himself open when he throws his left, theres a window of opportunity I can see where he looks to regain a strong posture and it seems he doesn't move as well as his right, so if I can force him to move to my right, his hooks and jabs may leave him open....

I want to floor him ideally. I think theres a 0.4% chance of that happening, but if you guys come up with the masterplan, I'll take your words as gospel!

JabMachine

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 05 Jan 2012, 11:58 am

Laugh good luck.

Future trainer of the year 'fists of fury' will concoct his battle plan later and let you know!!

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 05 Jan 2012, 12:03 pm

JabMachine wrote:I'm set to spar with him ahead of his fight in March, I know he's picked 5 fighters, I only know of one other who's a big jabber, I'm more of a counterpuncher so I'm thinking he's going for a challenging fight rather than to look good. We're both Southpaw too - if it were against Mike Jones I don't think we'd have been called in.

Anything you'd like me to test Kell on? I don't think I'll be hitting his chin, I think he'll be hitting mine a lot - me and the other guy are in for 6 rounds each so I may have to test his stamina or I may have to deal with a fast opening round - I've watched a few of his fights quite recently (this, for me is like me competing for a world title!) and I believe he leaves himself open when he throws his left, theres a window of opportunity I can see where he looks to regain a strong posture and it seems he doesn't move as well as his right, so if I can force him to move to my right, his hooks and jabs may leave him open....

I want to floor him ideally. I think theres a 0.4% chance of that happening, but if you guys come up with the masterplan, I'll take your words as gospel!

Spinning backfist. If that doesn't work, body slam him.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Thu 05 Jan 2012, 12:06 pm

i dont think he beats jones. he will continue to fight domestic level opposition until a vacant belt comes up

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Thu 05 Jan 2012, 12:11 pm

Lance you don't know that, and i really disagree, he can be Jones.

Jabmachine that's epic news! What you should do is work off the back foot, and when he comes in use a check inside hook, followed by two to the body and then pivot out of there. You'll get him on points, lol. Easier said then done though aye?

I'd like to interview Kell Brook, can you see if i can get one?

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Thu 05 Jan 2012, 12:14 pm

davidemore wrote:Lance you don't know that, and i really disagree, he can be Jones.

Jabmachine that's epic news! What you should do is work off the back foot, and when he comes in use a check inside hook, followed by two to the body and then pivot out of there. You'll get him on points, lol. Easier said then done though aye?

of course i dont know that. im just guessing same as everyone else. and i hope im wrong. but if you hear hearn talk there is no mention of fighting top contenders. they want a belt asap, and if that means keep him protected until one becomes available, thats what they might do.
jones brook, would be a good fight

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Thu 05 Jan 2012, 12:19 pm

it be a great fight lance, but brook has all the attributes to beat jones, all of them. it is his year, 2012, oh yeah, get on board, baby.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 05 Jan 2012, 12:53 pm

davidemore wrote:Lance you don't know that, and i really disagree, he can be Jones.

I did one with him before his last fight, Davide, take a look in the boxing vault section.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by d260005p Thu 05 Jan 2012, 1:28 pm

Agree to an extent. I see him possibly beating Ortiz/Berto purely based on styles. Both come forward and leave openings.....ones in which i think Brook will exploit with ease. However, i dont see him beating Malignaggi. I think they should avoid him for now. He, IMO, is very talented, and had he got power in his hands, probably would have been class. I think Malignaggi beats Brook UD. Brook may end up fighting him anyway as Malignaggi is in talks with Shenchenko i think?

d260005p

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Thu 05 Jan 2012, 3:23 pm

cool jabmachine great work! now jab his face off in sparring!!

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by Waingro Thu 05 Jan 2012, 4:40 pm

Brook will be a world champion in 2012 the only thing that could stop him is if people duck him. Khan has already been making excuses so I hope others do not follow. Only Mayweather and Pacquiao could beat him and tbh I give Brook a very good chance of beating Pacquiao who is on the slide now and should probably be thinking about retiring before he gets washed up. I think Brook would beat guys like Ortiz or Berto and he would school Malignaggi or Senchenko badly they are not in his class.

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachine Thu 05 Jan 2012, 4:47 pm

Waingro, the fact you use "school" when in actual fact the term is "beat"

I don't see how Malignaggi, the veteran world level operator at LWW/WW would get "schooled" (taught) anything by a man who has yet to step up to his level even once.

You're basing what performance of Brooks putting him on a par with Pacquiao?

I like Kell, I do - I can't wait to spar with him, but you talk absolute crap. Its people like you that make boxers like Kell step up before they're ready. Nobody really outside boxing knows Kell Brook as well as they will in say 2/3 years with carefully developed opposition.

JabMachine

Back to top Go down

Post by Waingro Thu 05 Jan 2012, 4:52 pm

Pacquiao is on the slide. I thought Marquez schooled him tbh but he got robbed. Pacquiaos speed is going and he is not as focused as he was before this is why I think Brook could beat him. It would be a close fight though I did say I think he would school Pacquiao but I think Mayweather would school Pacquiao and he would also school Brook so Brook should not make the same mistakes Khan made and think he is ready to beat Mayweather.

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 05 Jan 2012, 4:57 pm

JabMachine I wouldn't take ANYTHING waingro says seriously, or at least take it with a tub full of salt.

Clottey is now solidly a LMW and won't be fighting at WW ever again.

Malignaggi would be a good opponent for him, very beatable once the middle rounds come and he is able to impose himself on Paulie.

As for how far Brook can go, the sky is the limit in my opinion, genuinely believe he has that kind of talent. COuld see him holding all the cards once Mayweather and Manny have gone, really do think he is up at that level.

The one thing that I really admire about him is his level of thought that he puts into his punches, so precise and accurate but at the same time he lets his hands go often so doesn't leave himself open to being outworked. Can't wait until he steps up to the very highest level, because I don't think there will be many that will stop him.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachine Thu 05 Jan 2012, 4:58 pm

Edit: confirmed by Alex.

Also - agreed with Alex's points.

He's the closest thing we've had to a Pacquiao/Mayweather level fighter in a long time, closest anyones had. Only other 2 fighters I think will touch those heights are Alvarez and Martinez, maybe Mike Jones, maybe Amir Khan if he can come back from the Peterson loss strongly.

Plus, Kell is a big WW, I can see him pushing through LMW and MW.

Last edited by JabMachine on Thu 05 Jan 2012, 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

JabMachine

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 05 Jan 2012, 4:58 pm

Waingro wrote:Pacquiao is on the slide. I thought Marquez schooled him tbh but he got robbed. Pacquiaos speed is going and he is not as focused as he was before this is why I think Brook could beat him. It would be a close fight though I did say I think he would school Pacquiao but I think Mayweather would school Pacquiao and he would also school Brook so Brook should not make the same mistakes Khan made and think he is ready to beat Mayweather.

as much logic as you will ever get from Waingro.

I'm off lads see you tommorow.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 05 Jan 2012, 10:05 pm

Waingro wrote:Pacquiao is on the slide. I thought Marquez schooled him tbh but he got robbed. Pacquiaos speed is going and he is not as focused as he was before this is why I think Brook could beat him. It would be a close fight though I did say I think he would school Pacquiao but I think Mayweather would school Pacquiao and he would also school Brook so Brook should not make the same mistakes Khan made and think he is ready to beat Mayweather.

What? I need a translator. Erm

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Fri 06 Jan 2012, 1:03 am

Clottey is still active and looked not bad last time out, was a nice KO, looked in decent shape also, good fight for Kell.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by The Sweet Science UK Fri 06 Jan 2012, 7:23 pm

Until Kell actually fights someone with a pulse and a "name" at least we won't know how good he actually can be.

He's got a good skill set but it hasn't really been tested.

Paulie is the gatekeeper so a fight against him would be a good test. Maybe even Clottey.

These fights would provide a good test and give him more recognition worldwide/stateside.
The Sweet Science UK
The Sweet Science UK

http://thesweetscienceuk.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by The Sweet Science UK Fri 06 Jan 2012, 8:21 pm

According to Twitter a fight between him & Matthew Hatton is close to being signed.
The Sweet Science UK
The Sweet Science UK

http://thesweetscienceuk.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveVDK Fri 06 Jan 2012, 8:50 pm

Would love to see Moseley then Senchenko, some may think Moseley too much too early but is he really? I believe Brook would beat him at this point of his career, but facing someone of Shanes expirience is vital at this point in Kells career, Senchenko is an easy win for Brook.

DaveVDK

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 06 Jan 2012, 9:56 pm

Looks complete.......Think he's the best prospect I've seen since I've come to Britain...

World is his oyster.....Obviously Khan shares many of his gifts but he lacks maturity which I believe he'll never attain..

Could be a real big hitter and alltimer!!! Hope so..

Enjoy his career and don't be too hard on him...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down