The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Klitschko V Solis

+15
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
compelling and rich
Michaels, Sean
BALTIMORA
Benelio
Sir. badgerhands
samevans1
TRUSSMAN66
eddyfightfan
manos de piedra
ArchBritishchris
wow_junky
coxy0001
HumanWindmill
neilodonnell
19 posters

Go down

Klitschko V Solis Empty Klitschko V Solis

Post by neilodonnell Wed 16 Mar 2011, 11:54 am

I see that the fight is on Sky Sports this Saturday. I am really looking foward to this one. How does everyone see the fight going? Does anyone give Solis a decent chance?

neilodonnell

Back to top Go down

Klitschko V Solis Empty Re: Klitschko V Solis

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 16 Mar 2011, 11:59 am

Welcome aboard, neil.

To be honest, I haven't seen quite enough of Solis to be able to make up my mind. He does seem to have decent enough credentials to make a fight of it, though, and Heaven knows the heavy division needs a competitive scrap.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by neilodonnell Wed 16 Mar 2011, 12:03 pm

Yes that is very true! I too know very little about the bloke but apparantely if he comes in at a lower weight than usual, he may just be in with a shout.

neilodonnell

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Wed 16 Mar 2011, 12:27 pm

If he comes in about 10lbs lighter (and some more) than he has been recently then he may stand a chance... a chance of not getting his head taken off.

Vitali coasts, pummels and finishes the show.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by neilodonnell Wed 16 Mar 2011, 12:33 pm

I fancy a little punt on Solis at 6/1.

neilodonnell

Back to top Go down

Post by wow_junky Wed 16 Mar 2011, 12:40 pm

Agree with Coxy, Solis is going to get beat down and stopped late. He's just too fat and out of shape to outbox big Klit.

wow_junky

Back to top Go down

Post by ArchBritishchris Wed 16 Mar 2011, 2:23 pm

He has some wily cuban boxing skills, the shoulder roll, he counter punches, etc. Sadly, he's to fat and slow. If he weighed 225 lbs, but i don't believe its close to that. Now, lets turn the clock back to Samuel Peter, similar scenario, didn't fair to well. His best chance of winning is to pull of a Bernard Hopkins style block and timing of punches strategy.

Watched Lewis vs Klitschko again the other day. Lewis said after the fight, 'he (Vitali) was lucky the fight was stopped...look at the state of his face'. Didn't receive positive praise from Lennox.

ArchBritishchris

Back to top Go down

Post by neilodonnell Wed 16 Mar 2011, 2:28 pm

I think Solis came in at around 270 for his last fight. I just hope he sheds a couple of stone and makes the most of his oppurtunity.

neilodonnell

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 16 Mar 2011, 2:31 pm

I think compasions to Peter are fair and more so comparisons to Arreola who was given a sustained beating for 12 rounds (OK eleven and a half).

Father time WILL catch up with Vitali but not on Saturday night and even if it does, I doubt Solis is the man to exploit it.

The only reason to watch this fight is to see what strategy David Haye would be best employing should he and Vitali meet later this year.

Last edited by DAVE667 on Wed 16 Mar 2011, 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by neilodonnell Wed 16 Mar 2011, 2:34 pm

Fair point DAVE667. I guess I am just desperate to see the K Bros knocked off their pedastals.

neilodonnell

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 16 Mar 2011, 2:41 pm

Neil, Vitali is a smart man both in and out of the ring. He retired in 2003(?) when he knew his body was letting him down and only returned once he knew he would be able to compete effectively.

I firmly believe that if Vitali ever found himself in a situation where he couldn't give 100% (and against the likes of Haye he'd need to be at the top of his game) I think he'd walk away from the sport rather than risk being KO'd.

Back to top Go down

Post by neilodonnell Wed 16 Mar 2011, 2:48 pm

Like you say though, Saturday night should be a good indicator as to how Mr Haye should go about his business should he get past Wlad.

neilodonnell

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed 16 Mar 2011, 3:24 pm

I am a bit surprised Vitali is such a heavy favourite. The general assumption seems to be that Solis is kind of a part timer but he has seriousw pedigree and ability. If he comes in well prepared and in good shape then 6/1 seems to be pretty long.

From what I have read Solis has had a pretty intense training camp up in the mountain ranges of California and appears to be taking this fight seriously. Vitali is now almost 40 aswell who hasnt really been given a stern test since his comeback.

Vitali may have too much for even a well prepared Solis but I cant help feel that there are losts of factors not being considered. Namely that Solis is incapable of getting into shape!

I am really looking forward to this one I must say as I think it should throw up a few surprises and I am not convinced it will be the demolition job thats seems to be generally accepted.

Solis may have had similar conditioning to Arreola and Peter in his recent fights but hes much better potential and a higher pedigree.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 16 Mar 2011, 3:46 pm

Vitali may have too much for even a well prepared Solis but I cant help feel that there are losts of factors not being considered. Namely that Solis is incapable of getting into shape!
Given that he's so far failed to get into anything remotely like a decent condition, it's not hard to think that this time is likely to be no different even if he IS fighting for the world HW title

One may have thought Sam Peter would want to give a better account of himself against Wlad that he did against Vitali, but as we saw, that wasn't the case.

Solis has had ample opportunity to get into shape and make a serious dent in the HW division but so far seems to have decided against that. I don't think it's too far fetched to suggest that a man whose failed to make the most of his potential thus far, will approach this fight with a similar attitude. A winner's mentality would have had Solis shedding the excess weight long before now!

Back to top Go down

Post by neilodonnell Wed 16 Mar 2011, 3:48 pm

I definitely think I will have a sneaky bet on Odlanier anyway!

neilodonnell

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Wed 16 Mar 2011, 3:50 pm

i would give solis a chance- especially due to the fact that vitalia doesnt seem to be taking the fight to seriously- he has already arranged other fights after this as well as the possibility of him fighting haye instead of wlad- if vitali doesnt take the fight seroiusly then solis might be able to capitalise- he definetly has the KO power to cause an upset.

however, realistically i think vitali will come away with the victory- he's to big, strong, sensible and wily to get caught, solis isn't just another chump for vitali to beat on tho.... so who knows and fingers crossed for solis

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by neilodonnell Wed 16 Mar 2011, 3:55 pm

I have my fingers crossed that it isn't one sided and Solis manages to catch Vitali, at least to give him something to think about.

neilodonnell

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed 16 Mar 2011, 3:58 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Vitali may have too much for even a well prepared Solis but I cant help feel that there are losts of factors not being considered. Namely that Solis is incapable of getting into shape!
Given that he's so far failed to get into anything remotely like a decent condition, it's not hard to think that this time is likely to be no different even if he IS fighting for the world HW title

One may have thought Sam Peter would want to give a better account of himself against Wlad that he did against Vitali, but as we saw, that wasn't the case.

Solis has had ample opportunity to get into shape and make a serious dent in the HW division but so far seems to have decided against that. I don't think it's too far fetched to suggest that a man whose failed to make the most of his potential thus far, will approach this fight with a similar attitude. A winner's mentality would have had Solis shedding the excess weight long before now!

I think the point with Peter is that he didnt really have the potential to do much better. Solis should be a different class with his backround. I doubt Peter ever had the talent/skills of Solis.

I would hope that Solis realises that as this is a title fight and against a top fighter that he needs to be fully prepared. If not then yes, hes a waste of talent but hes been able to get away with part time stuff so far. He wont fo this and he knows that. I dont think hes done too badly. Hes only been pro for about 4 years and hasnt had the luxury of being able to press talk his way into fights. Hes earned his mandatory status. I see him having alot more potential than Peter, Arreola, Sosnowski and Briggs that Vitali has faced so far but whether or not he will realise it remains to be seen.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 16 Mar 2011, 3:58 pm

if vitali doesnt take the fight seroiusly then solis might be able to capitalise- he definetly has the KO power to cause an upset.

If Solis goes into this fight thinking Vitali isn't taking him seriously then he's gonna be in a world of hurt.

For all his flaws, Vitali is always 100% focused (like his brother) and woe betide anyone thinking differently!

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 16 Mar 2011, 4:01 pm

To be honest Vitali won't have to look to hard to find Solis and as he is bigger, stronger, sturdier and more experienced I guess its a no brainer that Vitali wins..

Surprised you're looking forward to it kid as Vitali is a cure for insomnia....

Hope Solis wins but his chances are slim and none....and Slim has just been shot..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed 16 Mar 2011, 4:19 pm

Vitali is only as boring as his opposition.

Anytime hes up against someone who can have a go his fights have been good to watch. Wlad is a different matter....

But Vitali gets unfairly labeled as cautious and boring when in his fights hes actually more than willing to attack, trade and throws good variations.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by samevans1 Wed 16 Mar 2011, 4:24 pm

Solis is better than Vitali's recent opponents in terms of fundamentals and hand speed. But, unless he comes in in shape; I see nothing but a late stoppage victory for Vitali; probably after being hit a bit more than he has used too and showing his age a bit.

samevans1

Back to top Go down

Post by ArchBritishchris Wed 16 Mar 2011, 4:26 pm

What are the strengths that Solis holds over Vitali? His power is decent and he has never been stopped, although its doubtful he trumps Vitali (ok, it could be close). Certainly, he's got to be slower. Stamina? Vitali is nearly 40, but Solis surely must find it difficult to drag himself around the ring for 12 rounds - Vitali I'd go for. Height and reach both Vitali. Solis may be a little cuter, but will it make a difference.

Vitali is ahead in most areas. The verdict relies on Solis's slickness, will it be enough? He is somewhat of an unknown quantity, we don't really know how good he is. I would say, how many 270 lbs HW champs have there been, it doesn't usually help.

ArchBritishchris

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed 16 Mar 2011, 4:37 pm

Solis was 260 in his last fight and I would fully expect him to come in lighter again for this.

If he comes in as a blob then obviously Vitali is clear favourite. I just dont think its beyond the realms of possibility that he comes in at around 240 for the biggest fight of his carrer against his toughest opponent.

If not then yes, by all means he could be battered. He could be beaten anyway as he is relatively unknown. But his amateur pedigree and pro career thus far indicates he may have the potential to be a decent level up from Vitalis last few if he can get himself into good condition. Its a definate if, but I am hoping he can manage it.

The flip side is Vitalis last opponents have flattered him and his ever creeping age. How many 40 plus heavyweight champions have there been?
I expect Vitali to take this 100% seriously but he may be taken out of his comfort zone for a change and have to work for a victory.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by neilodonnell Thu 17 Mar 2011, 9:06 am

Solis was wearing a padded jacket in the open workout. Not sure if that is a good sign or not?!

neilodonnell

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir. badgerhands Thu 17 Mar 2011, 9:55 am

Can't see anything other than Vitali win, especially if Solis comes in at his normal 300lbs +!!!!

Only thing that interests me with this fight is that one day VK's age could catch up with him. He after all hasn't looked that impressive in his last couple of fights.

If it doesn't happen this fight I can only really see VK jabbing Solis for fun and stopping him late.

Sir. badgerhands

Back to top Go down

Post by Benelio Fri 18 Mar 2011, 5:45 pm

Results from the weigh in:

Vitali Klitschko: 249 lbs
Odlanier Solis: 246.5 lbs

Makes this one a bit more interesting. Ideally Solis should probably be fighting more around 220-230. But I guess no fighter really wants to be losing 40lbs in 3 months.

Of course, the weight probably isn't going to matter a damn if Vitali gets to fight at his usual jab/straight tempo from the center of the ring.

Benelio

Back to top Go down

Post by neilodonnell Sat 19 Mar 2011, 1:51 pm

Looking forward to this one even more now, seen as Solis has shed about 25 pounds for it. Solis' odds have come in a little bit too.

neilodonnell

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sat 19 Mar 2011, 2:04 pm

Can't see Solis achieving much really. I'd like to be wrong, but he's even shorter than Haye, and he's not a ripped athletic 246, he's a 'damn those are some good barbecue ribs' 246. I think the poor conditioning of so many heavyweights is pretty depressing. Hell, even Audrey comes in LOOKING the part...if nothing else.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 19 Mar 2011, 6:03 pm

Evening guys,

As you may have seen we have a chat box on the top of the main forum which we use for footy & rugby for real time chat.
Normally we knock it off about 10pm, but we can keep it on for this tonight if you wanted to join.

Cheers
Y I Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Sat 19 Mar 2011, 10:07 pm

de de ner ner de ner de ner, HELLS BELLS, de de ner ner de ner de ner, HELLS BELLS, de de ner ner de ner de ner, HELLS BELLS, de de ner ner de ner de ner, HELLS BELLS,
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Sat 19 Mar 2011, 10:20 pm

What joke. What the hell was jim watt on about saying he was clearly hurt??? He didnt land a punch. Would still like a medical to judge solis leg

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sat 19 Mar 2011, 10:23 pm

Looks like he got a cramp. I probably would have given solis the round as he looked dangerous.

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sat 19 Mar 2011, 10:25 pm

He still got knocked out though. His leg cramped up after the punch. Solis was winning the round easily before then. Terrible.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir. badgerhands Sat 19 Mar 2011, 10:29 pm

Do Sky feed Jim Watt military grade acid before fights?

He was talking like Vitali had taken Solis' head off with a shot.

Another fantastic night for HW boxing.

Sir. badgerhands

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sat 19 Mar 2011, 10:30 pm

Was that even a big shot? Briggs took far bigger shots in the 12th round of their fight. What the hell is going on. Thank god for david haye.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by jamesedwardcox Sat 19 Mar 2011, 10:31 pm

baffled

jamesedwardcox

Back to top Go down

Post by tommyhearns Sat 19 Mar 2011, 10:32 pm

sums up a very poor era furious

tommyhearns

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir. badgerhands Sat 19 Mar 2011, 10:33 pm

Looked like a mere cuff to me.

Glad I have my eyesight and don't have to rely on Jim Watt's inane ramblings!!

Sir. badgerhands

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sat 19 Mar 2011, 10:33 pm

The most annoying thing was solis had landed some excellent shots in that round. He was really looking quite good. Come on haye knock out wlad NOW!!!

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Sat 19 Mar 2011, 10:33 pm

Knocked out?? You gotta be kidding me. I could have takrn that 'shot' he clipped his ear. His knee clearly went. No contest if anything. Sky talk so much rubbish there was no shot

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sat 19 Mar 2011, 10:34 pm

But why did his leg go, was it because of the shot or what?

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMightyBigtruck Sat 19 Mar 2011, 10:35 pm

Why the heck is Vitali taking like Solis took a beating????

TheMightyBigtruck

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sat 19 Mar 2011, 10:38 pm

Guys i think klitchskos reaction as soon as the fight ended says it all, he obviously didn't think it was that hard of a shot. He was finding it hard to keep a straight face in the interviews

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sat 19 Mar 2011, 10:40 pm

So...one Klit down, one to go, yes..?

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sat 19 Mar 2011, 10:44 pm

If solis comes out and says something happened to his leg. His purse should get held and only given to him when he partisipates in a rematch straight away. Vitali looks like he'll take a rematch in two weeks he looked that angry.

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sat 19 Mar 2011, 10:44 pm

Love to see it TBH, I think solis was actually doing quite well to start with.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by ArchBritishchris Sat 19 Mar 2011, 11:45 pm

Classic tale of someone shedding 20 lbs and then embarking on physical exercise to soon.

If Solis has a fitness coach, which in all likelihood he does not, he should be fired and banned from the guild of fitness coaches.

ArchBritishchris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down