The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question For Federer Fans

+13
Henman Bill
laverfan
amritia3ee
prostaff85
invisiblecoolers
Simple_Analyst
legendkillar
time please
barrystar
Jeremy_Kyle
JuliusHMarx
Tenez
hawkeye
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Question For Federer Fans - Page 2 Empty Question For Federer Fans

Post by hawkeye Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:59 am

First topic message reminder :

What player do you like watching Federer play against? Who has the talent to bring out the very best of from this great player? What matches have you seen were he has had to play his very best in order to be competative? As a fan I like to see him pushed (nice as it is to see him play exhibition like matches against lower ranked players). Who is able to do this?

For me this is an easy question to answer. I like to see him play Nadal. Federer knows he has to bring his best if he is going to have chances to win and even if he does bring his best he may still lose. Most times when he has played Nadal it has been in a final and quite a few of the finals have been slams. I've enjoyed all the matches they have played even where the score has looked one sided. My favourites are Rome 2006, Wimbledon 2006, 2007 and 2008, AO 2009 and this years FO final. Its difficult to narrow it down. There are 2 matches I have never seen but wish I had. Miami 2005 and the 2005 FO semi.

Of course other players have beaten Fedrer but only Nadal can be relied on to consistantly push him. Nadal is able to ask one of the best players ever some tricky tennis questions. Nadal has helped make Federer the player he is.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Question For Federer Fans - Page 2 Empty Re: Question For Federer Fans

Post by laverfan Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:49 am

legendkillar wrote:George Bastl anyone??

Laugh

In the Graveyard of Champions. Sad

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:52 am

Indeed. But when someone mentions 'domiance' I think Bastl was ranked around 130 or something. I am waiting for the 'he wasn't fit' excuse to come pouring out.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:56 am

I remember watching a tribute to Sampras on ESPN and I found him such a warm character. Found it surprising given he was painted to be a bit 'arrogant' I am sure Agassi will find it in him to forgive him one day Laugh

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Simple_Analyst Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:03 am

So Bastl beating Sampras at Wimbledon is trending now? Couldn't be worse than losing to the great Jiri Novak at the same Wimbledon Laugh

Simple_Analyst

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:10 am

No it is not trending as it isn't on 606V2 Twitter account.

Your saying Sampras was dominant compared to Federer. My point is that any great player has a 'blotch' somewhere on their record. Sampras won his first Slam at 19 and Federer at 21 Nadal at 18. Sampras had years he didn't win a Slam and Federer has endured his first year in his peak years Slamless. I can't see that you can claim Federer to be dominated by his 'rivals' given that Nadal has been the only threat and 2011 has seen the emergence of Djokovic. Federer has won 3 Slams in a year 3 times. Something Sampras didn't do. Nadal has done it once. Before you blow the whole 'Weak Era' trumpet, in any era that is nothing short of a remarkable achievement.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Simple_Analyst Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:14 am

Lol, i like it when they shot themselves in the foot. They make a comment and when you counter that with an even hilarious one like Jiri Novak, they get emotional and attempt to write something worthy. Laugh

Anyway, have to attend to more important things. Legendkilla, Rome was not built in a day, i've giving you enough tennis lessons for the day.

Simple_Analyst

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:16 am

Laugh

You have a life?

Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:21 am

Nadal has the matchup I've most desired over the career and probably still do, but lately the Djokovic one has been the one that produced the consistent high quality.

Many players, like Tsonga, Monfils, Murray, Dolgopolov would be really interesting to see them play at their very best against Federer.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:13 pm

I was at that Sampras-Federer match at Wimbledon in 01, A terrific encounter that grew with significance as the years went on.
The only other time I have seen Fed live was at the recent 02 event when he smashed Rafa. I must say the Rafa-Rog matches are the most exciting for me. I've even "enjoyed" some of the big GS defeats for Rog - Wimbledon in 08, the AO in 09 and the French in 11 - as they were just fabulous matches.
Rog has also had some terrific matches against Djoko and Murray. I think as long as he's good enough to only lose to these guys then he'll carry on. No shame in being third or fourth in the world after the career he's had.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:39 am

sirfredperry wrote:I think as long as he's good enough to only lose to these guys then he'll carry on.

If Doha is any indication, his 'back' may cause more heartburn as he ages. It is good to see him continue to play with such motivation and hunger. thumbsup

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by 10IS Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:45 am

DSICLAIMER: not a Roger fan, but could not resist posting.

I like to watch Roger play Rafa on clay because Rafa gives Roger real beating virtually every time they play. Also love the fact that Rafa's crude/raw style of play on dirt seems so unpopular among those who believe style/talent/suaveness/offense etc is "the way" to play tennis and how they hate him for beating Federer with a style of play they despise.

10IS

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:18 am

10IS wrote:DSICLAIMER: not a Roger fan, but could not resist posting.

I like to watch Roger play Rafa on clay because Rafa gives Roger real beating virtually every time they play. Also love the fact that Rafa's crude/raw style of play on dirt seems so unpopular among those who believe style/talent/suaveness/offense etc is "the way" to play tennis and how they hate him for beating Federer with a style of play they despise.

You have opened the door for the mention of Nole 2011. Laugh as well as made it the usual Fedal debate.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by 10IS Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:23 am

laverfan wrote:

You have opened the door for the mention of Nole 2011. Laugh as well as made it the usual Fedal debate.

Hope I did not violate house rules by spilling a few unpleasentries in this praise-federer Ocean. thumbsup

10IS

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:38 am

Don't worry about not being a Roger fan - hard to believe but not everybody is Laugh

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:14 am

10IS wrote:Hope I did not violate house rules by spilling a few unpleasentries in this praise-federer Ocean. thumbsup

No, you did not. OK Democracy of opinions is what such forums are all about.

It is good to see that other tennis players try to emulate what Federer has achieved in his career despite his detractors. Wink

The monotony of Fedal debates just ignores other players. Laugh There is tennis outside of these two players. Wink

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:45 am

Pretty accurate summary of a fed fans point of view. You must have been Yahoo when this same style beat Roger on all the other surfaces as well.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:46 am

sportslover wrote:

Don't worry about not being a Roger fan - hard to believe but not everybody is Laugh

Definately one of the hardest things for me to come to terms with when first encountering tennis forums.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:49 am

Djokovic, Murray or Tsonga are all good matches for him now as he can play his game and they can play theirs and has made for some good spectacles. Less so with Murray I guess as one tends to be dominant in their matches.

Nalbandian, Davydenko and Agassi in the past for me made amazing match ups with Fed as their games really pushed each other to greater and greater heights.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:52 am

break_in_the_fifth wrote:Definately one of the hardest things for me to come to terms with when first encountering tennis forums.

In what sense is it hard to come to terms with?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:56 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:
break_in_the_fifth wrote:Definately one of the hardest things for me to come to terms with when first encountering tennis forums.

In what sense is it hard to come to terms with?

That other people not only didn't think Fed was tennis but considered him to have 0 slams and thought other players from his era were superior Shocked

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:03 am

Who are these people who are not Federer Fans. They need to be educated. Or as I was once told. "someone on the internet is wrong. I need to put them right."?!

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2