The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are there a lack of quality Welsh Coaches?

+8
nganboy
SecretFly
MonkeyOwain12
maestegmafia
Shifty
bedfordwelsh
gowales
BigTrevsbigmac
12 posters

Go down

Are there a lack of quality Welsh Coaches? Empty Are there a lack of quality Welsh Coaches?

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Sat 7 Jan 2012 - 11:44

WM poll of Ospreys supporters favourite coach to take over from SJ is Deano beating Kingsley Jones into second & Mike Ruddock in third.

I was surprised by this choice personally. But I guess Deano is still held in high regard in Wales to.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Are there a lack of quality Welsh Coaches? Empty Re: Are there a lack of quality Welsh Coaches?

Post by gowales Sat 7 Jan 2012 - 14:12

Yes

gowales

Back to top Go down

Are there a lack of quality Welsh Coaches? Empty Re: Are there a lack of quality Welsh Coaches?

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 7 Jan 2012 - 14:19

I think Deano would be a great choice and maybe he would want to get back in the saddle outside of England, that and I still hope KJ will get invoved with the Dragons at some stage.

I think there is maybe a lack of top level Welsh coaches but a lot of the youngs coming through are getting rave reviews the Chief and Gareth Llewellyn especially. Also what happened to Steve Williams as he was getting tipped few years back.

Am surprised Charvis hasn't got back involved after he left us whilst Appleyard is doing some good stuff if still learning.

Lyn Jones for me could still do a job at the top level.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Sat 7 Jan 2012 - 14:40

Good points Bedford thumbsup

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat 7 Jan 2012 - 18:45

I dont think the people who voted for that poll were all Ospreys supporters, can you run a poll in all of wales and expect only ospreys supporters to vote in it, disregard the poll.

To be the hall mark of a good coach is to achieve good things with little resources.
Mike Ruddock took a broke Ebbw Vale side in which he had to find a whole new team and still took them to the top few places of the Welsh league with players no one had ever heard of.

Mike Rayer is a current Welsh coach who is doing fantastic things with no money. Bedford have a budget of £750,000 a year, the 3 year parachute payments from the English Premiership are £3m, so he is competing with some clubs with 4x his budget, yet despite this for the last 4 years, he has always made it to the play off semi finals (top 4 league finish), and this year again Bedford are sitting second in the table. He makes clever signings, develops young players and gets players to play for him. Wales need that kind of coaches at the regions.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 8 Jan 2012 - 9:50

Alyn,

I would love to see Mikey Rayer back in the Regional set up some where, Blues would be the main one I guess with his connections but all Regions could do lot worse if they were looking.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 8 Jan 2012 - 9:55

I think it would be wonderful to see a talented young welsh coach at the helm. I wonder if we could do a swap with Bedford, we get Rayer, they get Shaun Holley?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 8 Jan 2012 - 10:04

Morning maes,

Seems fair deal though doubt Bedford would look at it like Wink
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 8 Jan 2012 - 10:17

Morning Beds,

Holley is a wonderful self promoter, if you are local enough to nip down the club and suggest a meeting, I'll pop down llandarcy and sell the idea to Holley. Easy enough, I'll tell him look there is this bloke, (won't mention names as I don't want to exploit his lack of rugby knowledge), who we'll get to leave a club called Bedford in the English Premiership, he has done all the hard work just like lyn Jones did at the O's, and you can take over and reap the rewards/man sausage it up at your own pace...!!!

Holley will be in Bedford selling himself to the Bedford RFC and they'll be so convinced by his magical self promotion that they'll sack Mike Rayer by Wednesday and he'll be coaching for the Ospreys for the weekend....!

What you think mate...?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by MonkeyOwain12 Sun 8 Jan 2012 - 10:32

I don't think that there is, but I do think that there's a lack of opportunity for people like Chief to go on and achieve higher accolades.

Having only four (6 if you count the National teams) professional teams,there isn't enough of a turnaround to give these young coaches a big opportunity.

This is why I think the Welsh and how it develops is so important.

MonkeyOwain12

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Sun 8 Jan 2012 - 12:25

Bedford of course are helped by the dual registration arrangement with the huge Saracens squad.
But I'm sure Rayer is doing a good job but he wasnt voted for was he?

Whether it is Ospreys supporters or other welsh fans doesn't really matter I guess it was the result that I found surprising.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 8 Jan 2012 - 12:34

Would rather Conner O'Shea than Deanno... Conner has done a much better job...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Sun 8 Jan 2012 - 13:11

I voted for Dean Richards. I don't care if the next coach is Welsh or not. I want the best one available. There is a lot of potential at the Ospreys and its a business at the end of the day. Something is wrong and there needs to be a complete overhaul.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 8 Jan 2012 - 16:16

BigTrevsbigmac wrote:Bedford of course are helped by the dual registration arrangement with the huge Saracens squad.
But I'm sure Rayer is doing a good job but he wasnt voted for was he?

Whether it is Ospreys supporters or other welsh fans doesn't really matter I guess it was the result that I found surprising.

I actually suggested Dale Mcintosh or Mike Rayer on th Ospreyse forum but what shouted down, the Ospreys hard core are totally delusional and simply expect Graham Henry or Jake white to come strolling in.
They thought Mcintosh or Rayer werent good enough or were too much associated with Cardiff.

Of course when you point out that Jonathan Humphreys was the Cardiff hooker for years, Mark Bennett the head of strength and conditioning coach, was a Cardiff Openside, Kevin Morgan was a Pontypridd full back which is part of the Blues region, they totally disregard this!
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 8 Jan 2012 - 17:08

O'Sullivan. Nothing better than a good coach with a bad grudge. Osprey's main rivals are Irish sides. Only way to beat Irish sides is to know how they tick. And that doesn't mean just from game to game but how they tick in preparation and overall planning for a year. There is something about Irish planning that gives them the best options at the most favourable points in the season.

O'Sullivan would be in his element. In control of a nice side with undoubted ability with big Irish sides to meet as his motivational carrot. Vengence is mine sayeth the Lord, at least until O'Sullivan took out copyright on the maxim Wink

He'd be a very positive choice and therefore I'd encourage Osprey's not to look for him.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 9 Jan 2012 - 13:59

They thought Mcintosh or Rayer werent good enough or were too much associated with Cardiff

Cant do worse than H&H, then again not many could.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Tue 10 Jan 2012 - 1:27

When's the last time Wales had a successful Welsh coach?
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Tue 10 Jan 2012 - 1:53

nganboy wrote:When's the last time Wales had a successful Welsh coach?

Define success.

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Tue 10 Jan 2012 - 1:57

Define Welsh coach.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Tue 10 Jan 2012 - 2:00

Define choking

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Tue 10 Jan 2012 - 2:10

This post and Gibson - have been banned.

Last edited by Gibson on Tue 10 Jan 2012 - 3:28; edited 2 times in total
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Tue 10 Jan 2012 - 2:13

Only different, because it's choking

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Tue 10 Jan 2012 - 2:19

OK, back to topic. Are there actually any Welsh coaches worth their salt? No.

Same as in Ireland.

The only differ being, at International level, the Welsh stood by Gatland (Ireland got rid of him) and he has progressed that side beyond it's limits, imo. Big mouth. Decent coach.

Last edited by Gibson on Tue 10 Jan 2012 - 3:16; edited 2 times in total
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Tue 10 Jan 2012 - 2:27

On the earlier posts: Mike Ruddock is best employed taking care of Ireland's youf. He's happy there. Plus, we have his two sons at Leinster. One of them - totally crap. The other - not so crap.

He is in a key job. Good deal all around.

And no way Wales will get the best rugby director/coach in England now. Conor O'Shea.

We'll need him when we get rid of Elmer Fudge. OK
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Tue 10 Jan 2012 - 3:02

KJ will get it

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Tue 10 Jan 2012 - 3:11

Good call Gatts. But, I think a hungry Dean Richards (as Director of Rugby) may actually be a better one. How long was the ban again? 3 years? Must be nearly up by now. August 2012, I think. Hold on.

He has so much to prove, and before Vampire Night at The Stoop, he was the best in the club business - behind Noves. O Shea is feeling the benefit of his stewardship now, at Quins.
He built from the bottom-up. He was thinking long-term. His track-record is one of the best in the club game.

Was ready for England. Would have been their coach now, if he had not been caught.
I cant see him coming back and coaching in the Jeff straight away. Soooo.

If O's get him, they'd be blessed. Just what you need.

If Schmidt went from Leinster, he'd be the 1st coach I'd be looking at to replace him. Ironic as that may seem.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Tue 10 Jan 2012 - 4:48

DR too controversial for the biggest Welsh side and frankly i don't want him near rugby again as i don't think he deserves it.....KJ for me

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 10 Jan 2012 - 9:31

Still hoping KJ will come back to Gwent if anywhere.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Tue 10 Jan 2012 - 9:34

I hate asking this but WhoTF is KJ?
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 10 Jan 2012 - 9:37

Gibson wrote:I hate asking this but WhoTF is KJ?

Kingsley-Jones I think.

He got some good wraps mentoring Jonah at Counties-Manakau back in the day.

Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 Jan 2012 - 9:47

Kiwireddevil wrote:

Kingsley-Jones I think.

Kiwi, I think you're talking about Kingsley Jones' dad - Phil Kingsley Jones. He mentored Jonah Lomu. However, Kingsley Jones (the son) was the assistant coach at sale, then director of rugby, and is now Russia coach/Director of rugby and pundit on BBC2 Wales. That's who posters are talking about here.

I've heard mixed reviews of him as a coach so I'm not too keen on him being at the helm of the national team. Maybe the Dragons as that's his region and he may be able to kick on from there, but he didn't do too well with Sale.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 10 Jan 2012 - 9:54

Griff wrote:
Kiwireddevil wrote:

Kingsley-Jones I think.

Kiwi, I think you're talking about Kingsley Jones' dad - Phil Kingsley Jones. He mentored Jonah Lomu. However, Kingsley Jones (the son) was the assistant coach at sale, then director of rugby, and is now Russia coach/Director of rugby and pundit on BBC2 Wales. That's who posters are talking about here.

I've heard mixed reviews of him as a coach so I'm not too keen on him being at the helm of the national team. Maybe the Dragons as that's his region and he may be able to kick on from there, but he didn't do too well with Sale.

Doh

Have to admit I didn't even know Phil had a son. Moving right along Whistle
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 Jan 2012 - 10:06

No worries Kiwi. I actually did the opposite a few years back. I thought it was Kingsley Jones (the son) who reports said had mentored Lomu, but I thought he was very young for that sort of role as there were only a few years between them! Doh!

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 10 Jan 2012 - 10:13

Griff,

He was at Glawster as well as understudy to St Andre and I know he was thought very highly of at the shed.

Things didn't quite work out for him at Sale as the top man but if we ever got our A Side up and running he would be my 1st choice as coach for it.

Like said would love if it he came 'home' so to speak - after all Ebbw vale could do with top class coach Wink
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 Jan 2012 - 10:25

Bedford, I know what you mean about Kingsley Jones but he only seems to have done well as an understudy/assistant. When he was given the top job at Sale they plummeted, now someone else is in at Sale they're getting better again. It's hard to judge on one club I suppose so willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Do you know if he applied for Paul Turner's job at the Dragons (before Edwards got it)?

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 10 Jan 2012 - 10:32

Griff,

I have a mutual friend in common with Kingsley and he still (well until recently at least) had his house up in Ebbw down on the Garden Festival site.

By all accounts he was interested but wasn't officially approached, now maybe thats because the Dragons wanted to promote from within and reward Edwards am not sure.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Tue 10 Jan 2012 - 10:42

To be fair Sale were just as if not more terrible when Mike Brewer was in charge the following year. Losing 8 or more quality players will seriously halt you from making any progress. It isn't really fair to judge Kingsley on that stint he had as Director of rugby. You have to remember that he was their forwards coach before that and the Sale pack was quite good until all those players left.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down