The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fighters who've traded on one fight!!

+13
Mr Bounce
Lance
BoxingFan88
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
88Chris05
AlexHuckerby
John Bloody Wayne
shonaexpress
Adam D
NathanDB10
Imperial Ghosty
Qoxiivi
TRUSSMAN66
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Fighters who've traded on one fight!! Empty Fighters who've traded on one fight!!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:19 pm

You know the ones.....Had one superb win and then been beaten up for big money ever since..Usually in the right place to beat a former great or an upcoming hot fighter with a big following....Basically just good journeyman..

I can think of three guys that to a certain extent meet the criteria...

JORGE VACA...
BREIDIS PRESCOTT..
MARCOS MAIDANA...(To a lesser extent than the others)..

Hoping now Petersen's beaten Khan Prescott fades away...

Anymore for anymore??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Fighters who've traded on one fight!! Empty Re: Fighters who've traded on one fight!!

Post by Qoxiivi Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:32 pm

Hasim Rahman

Qoxiivi

Back to top Go down

Fighters who've traded on one fight!! Empty Re: Fighters who've traded on one fight!!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:36 pm

That's a good call......Been in lot's of big money fights after winning the lottery!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:36 pm

Junior Jones
Buster Douglas
John Stracey

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:37 pm

Junior Jones ????

beat Barrera twice.....

Don't know much about Stracey....Ghosty If i'm honest.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by NathanDB10 Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:39 pm

Calzaghe-Lacy?

I know some of the other fights, particularly the Kessler one brought him more admiration and recognition, but most people view Lacy as his defining fight.

NathanDB10

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:40 pm

Beat Barrera twice and not much else

Would be tempted to say Barkley but he's got the second Hearns fight as well as Kinchen and Olajide but only really known for knocking the Hitman out.

Stracey came out of nowhere to beat Napoles but promptly lost to Palomino without doing much else of note.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:41 pm

I'm talking about guys who've had say one outstanding win and then traded on it by earning a lot of money as an opponent Nathan...

I agree that it was his best win though..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:43 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Junior Jones
Buster Douglas
John Stracey

That was my first thought as well - in fact I just created a thread about it!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:51 pm

Do I get some kind of commission for letting you advertise your thread on here?? Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:04 pm

You get to choose a prize:

Box A
Spoiler:
or

Box B
Spoiler:
The choice is yours....

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:07 pm

Take the ban any day Mate!!! Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by shonaexpress Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:12 pm

Corrie Sanders. After he beat Wladimir Klitschko he lost to his bro won a few then, off into the sunset he went..

shonaexpress

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:21 pm

Leon Spinks. Beats the ghost of The Greatest, then goes on to lose to every decent fighter he faces afterwards. Including that embarrasing clowning from Qawi.

(Incase you haven't seen it)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbN-mWON6Ug

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:30 pm

That's a good example.....bloody.

He traded on that fight..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:35 pm

Although he was actually a good fighter Vernon Forrest to an extent, lost against most other decent fighters like Mayorga but battering about Shane Mosley twice made him a big attraction. Don't know if "Traded in" is the right word for it though.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:44 pm

Forrest beat Mosley twice and showed his class...and that the first one wasn't a fluke..

Doesn't belong on this list for me..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:50 pm

Yeah like I was alluding to, he is a bit contentious, but he doesn't really have any other massively stand out wins, think he only beat Quartey of real significance after that, personally I think that he was just all wrong for Mosley but wasn't really all that good.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:54 pm

Considering he was a Ring fighter of the year... and then went on to win the wbc 154 belt by beating Baldomir..I'd suggest swapping contentious for absurd..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:55 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:Yeah like I was alluding to, he is a bit contentious, but he doesn't really have any other massively stand out wins, think he only beat Quartey of real significance after that, personally I think that he was just all wrong for Mosley but wasn't really all that good.

Being a bit generous with that one, Alex - the Quartey decision was a shocker! Ike won it clearly, not that it has much bearing I suppose.

I think Forrest was a very good fighter on his day, but I can see where you're coming from. Inexplicable how a banger as limited as Mayorga managed to have the wood on him and, while the first Mosley win is one of the most underrated wins of modern times, he maybe didn't quite do himself justice afterwards. Others have alluded to it I know, but his height, reach and power would probably have given Mayweather nightmares. Too good to be on the list for this article, I reckon, but an understandable shout.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:58 pm

Baldomir the great 154 fighter? Think he might have been Ring Magazine Fighter of The Year... I would imagine in 2002, when he beat Mosley... Twice, yes.

Like I said Chris it's a bit of a contentious one, but maybe you're right a bit too good for the list.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:58 pm

How can a two time World champion who beats an alltime great twice..and was a ring fighter of the year!!

be a guy who traded on one fight!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:02 pm

Like we said Truss. You can spin it one way or another easily.

You just have a major problem with me, Truss admit it.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:12 pm

Montell Griffin, anyone?

Admittedly, he did give a good account of himself first time out against Roy before the disqualification - and was then blasted out inside one round in the rematch. Outside of that, he's had plenty of fights against the big names of 175 lb, and fallen short just about every time, often convincingly. Toney clearly waltzed through their first fight only to be on the end of a stinker of a decision, he scraped past the bored and uninspired (basically anything post 1994) version of Toney in their second encounter, but in general did nothing to warrant so many title fights and pay days.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:35 pm

You could argue that the A-Force is a one fight wonder. That fight being his Olympic win.

He has traded on it ever since.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:36 pm

And whilst I am on it, how about Derek Chisora - he is trading on a fight that never happened! (I know it is now but you get my drift!)

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:44 pm

Adam D wrote:And whilst I am on it, how about Derek Chisora - he is trading on a fight that never happened! (I know it is now but you get my drift!)

Technically the fight isn't happening because it's the other Klitschko he's fighting. Wink
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:45 pm

Kevin Mcbride? Beat Tyson by ko during Tyson's comeback and then got easily beaten after that.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:46 pm

Has he had many big money fights since then? I know he fought Adamek but he wouldn't have earned good money for it.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:48 pm

I think what Truss means is managed to get higher profile fights based on the win and not skill level, he surely makes the list.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:49 pm

What higher profile fights did McBride get?
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:51 pm

Wach, Adamek, Prize fighter, golota? Guess its not exactly stellar.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:24 pm

got to be danny williams for me. became a household name after beating tyson. then everytime he lost it wasnt the real danny williams. thought harrison edged the first meeting and battered him in the second, yet audley is considered rubbish whilst danny gets forgiven for lots of stinkers and bad defeats against poor opposition. if he hadnt beaten tyson he would be looked upon far less favourably by the boxing pundits who paint him far too generously compared to his domestic rivals, most of whom beat him at one stage or another.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:16 am

Lance wrote:got to be danny williams for me. became a household name after beating tyson. then everytime he lost it wasnt the real danny williams. thought harrison edged the first meeting and battered him in the second, yet audley is considered rubbish whilst danny gets forgiven for lots of stinkers and bad defeats against poor opposition. if he hadnt beaten tyson he would be looked upon far less favourably by the boxing pundits who paint him far too generously compared to his domestic rivals, most of whom beat him at one stage or another.

Fair comment there, I think some boxers are regarded higher on certain things, Audley seemingly had no bottle when anything became tough and I there wasn't many memorable fights. It's also to do with the fact that there was a lot more hope pinned on him with the olympic gold medal, his performance against Haye was the icing on the cake. Whereas with Danny, he was never really world class but when he had to take a beating he really took it (See first part of Tyson fight and the absolutely PUNISHING fight against Vitali Klitschko) Does it make it right? I dunno.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:10 pm

I'll probably get lynched for this but... Henry Cooper.

Cooper was a good gutsy and solid performing heavyweight, but he was never top class. Fought the fight of his life against the then named Cassius Clay and almost pulled off an enormous upset. However, he lost, but the fact is he floored Clay with a legitimate punch and lived off that moment for pretty much the rest of his career; the reputation that it gave him allowed him to secure fights that he really didn't have the talent to be competing in.

Lovely bloke though, met him once when he did a talk at my school. Had MASSIVE hands.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:14 pm

Would say that Cooper is a very legitimate shout, Bounce. No complaints from me. Needless to say, when someone's not long since passed on there can be a little hesitancy to be too harsh on them, but Cooper's unique place in the memories and affections of the British public really does go far beyond what his actual achievements merit.

Lovely fella by all accounts as you say, but as you also say he did dine off that one famous punch for many years to a degree.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:28 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:You know the ones.....Had one superb win and then been beaten up for big money ever since...

I am no expert but this choice surprised me. He gave Khan a close fight, finishing the strongest of the two. And he has only lost twice, both on decisions, once to Khan and once to Andreas Kotelnik. Against Kotelnik it was a split decision in Kotelniks "backyard" in Germany. He has won all his other bouts and is the reigning WBA light welterweight champion.

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:44 pm

Nore Staat wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:You know the ones.....Had one superb win and then been beaten up for big money ever since...

I am no expert but this choice surprised me. He gave Khan a close fight, finishing the strongest of the two. And he has only lost twice, both on decisions, once to Khan and once to Andreas Kotelnik. Against Kotelnik it was a split decision in Kotelniks "backyard" in Germany. He has won all his other bouts and is the reigning WBA light welterweight champion.

Regular champ, my belt that I'm wearing right now is worth more, and that's mainly because it's much more practical.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Waingro Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:14 pm

Think people are beng very harsh on Cooper who as one of the best heavyweights we had. This guy came so close to knocking out Ali that would be one of the best wins ever. Lets not forget Alis corner had to rip his glove so he could buy more time he was very dazed from the knockdown. Cooper was very unlucky that he was around when Ali was if he was around today I reckon he could be champ. Wlad has a glass chin there is no way he would get up from that punch like Ali did Vitali is on the slide now and very old. There is not much else good in the division Cooper would destroy guys like Adamek, Arreola or Peter and lets not even talk about Hellenius.

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:19 pm

Waingro wrote:Think people are beng very harsh on Cooper who as one of the best heavyweights we had. This guy came so close to knocking out Ali that would be one of the best wins ever. Lets not forget Alis corner had to rip his glove so he could buy more time he was very dazed from the knockdown. Cooper was very unlucky that he was around when Ali was if he was around today I reckon he could be champ. Wlad has a glass chin there is no way he would get up from that punch like Ali did Vitali is on the slide now and very old. There is not much else good in the division Cooper would destroy guys like Adamek, Arreola or Peter and lets not even talk about Hellenius.

And again, it was EIGHT SECONDS.

Cooper was flattened by Johansson, flattened by Patterson, ducked Liston, ducked Chuvalo and ducked Frazier. I dread to think what Foreman or Tyson would have done to him.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:20 pm

Waingro wrote:Think people are beng very harsh on Cooper who as one of the best heavyweights we had.

We haven't exactly had many
Waingro wrote:
This guy came so close to knocking out Ali that would be one of the best wins ever. Lets not forget Alis corner had to rip his glove so he could buy more time he was very dazed from the knockdown.

Not true.

Waingro wrote:
Cooper was very unlucky that he was around when Ali was if he was around today I reckon he could be champ. Wlad has a glass chin there is no way he would get up from that punch like Ali did Vitali is on the slide now and very old.

He wouldn't beat a Klitschko, he decked Ali, yes but lost to much poorer opposition and he still LOST to Ali.

Waingro wrote: There is not much else good in the division Cooper would destroy guys like Adamek, Arreola or Peter and lets not even talk about Hellenius

Agreed the quality of the Heavyweight division is lacking, is Cooper head and shoulders above these guys? No.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Waingro Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:22 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:
Waingro wrote:Think people are beng very harsh on Cooper who as one of the best heavyweights we had. This guy came so close to knocking out Ali that would be one of the best wins ever. Lets not forget Alis corner had to rip his glove so he could buy more time he was very dazed from the knockdown. Cooper was very unlucky that he was around when Ali was if he was around today I reckon he could be champ. Wlad has a glass chin there is no way he would get up from that punch like Ali did Vitali is on the slide now and very old. There is not much else good in the division Cooper would destroy guys like Adamek, Arreola or Peter and lets not even talk about Hellenius.

Cooper was flattened by Johansson, flattened by Patterson, ducked Liston, ducked Chuvalo and ducked Frazier. I dread to think what Foreman or Tyson would have done to him.

Tyson and Foreman would beat Cooper imo they were top class but they are not around now the heavyweight division is rubbish I reckon if Cooper was around now he could be champ. Who is there? The Klitchkos?? Wlad would not be able to take the punch that Ali did he would be out cold and Vitali is old and past it now. Who else there? Adamek? Arreola? Povetkin? Cooper would destroy these guys.

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:26 pm

Cooper would also be conceding around 40 or 50 pounds to either brother, seriously what decent top tier heavy did Henry beat EVER, as Windy has said he was offered the opportunity to do just that against Liston and run a mile (wisely I might add). Lovely bloke and more often than not a credit to the sport but a domestic or Euro level heavy at absolute best.

Whether Wlad could or could not get up from the punch that Ali did is largely by the by because he sure as hell ain't taking it.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:31 pm

Waingro wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:

Tyson and Foreman would beat Cooper imo they were top class but they are not around now the heavyweight division is rubbish I reckon if Cooper was around now he could be champ. Who is there? The Klitchkos?? Wlad would not be able to take the punch that Ali did he would be out cold and Vitali is old and past it now. Who else there? Adamek? Arreola? Povetkin? Cooper would destroy these guys.

Context is everything, Waingro.

Ali had predicted a fifth round stoppage over Cooper. He won the first three rounds and probably could have stopped Cooper in the fourth, but he wanted his prediction to prove true. Consequently, he fiddled around during the fourth round, hardly throwing a punch and taking two or three pretty good left hooks from Cooper along the way. His trainer, Angelo Dundee, saw the danger and was screaming at Ali to go to work, but Ali hung his chin out once too often and paid for his arrogance.

No way on Earth would Wlad Klitschko allow Cooper a free shot at his chin.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:31 pm

He'd get jabbed jabbed and jabbed again and probably end up being stopped by cuts or taken out mid rounds. No chance of touching a Klit, as much as I like Cooper, he seemed like a real nice guy, he wasn't that good in the ring. Your patriotism is to be admired Waingro.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by d260005p Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:42 pm

Danny Williams over Tyson then getting hammered by Vitali?

d260005p

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:44 pm

I've always liked Danny Williams, took a fair bit of punishment from Tyson and then came back to win, but Jesus he took his beating from Vitali like a real man, every big shot was throwing him about like a ragdoll but he wouldn't quit.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by d260005p Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:53 pm

I know tell me about it. To be fair, i have no idea how he survived the first few rounds with Tyson. Nails. And against VITALI im surprised he didnt die.

d260005p

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:20 pm

I seem to have hit a nerve Zoomy...Sorry!!!!...but honestly all your articles are anti-Manny or Arum... or pro-floyd...

I've never doubted the filipino's greatness and have blamed both sides for the reason they haven't fought..I am a Floyd fan but try to be objective..

Obviously contributing four times a year like you do...you've obviously missed this!!

Please though try to regain your old perspective because I reiterate...You sound like D4....

A check of your threads proves this...

Any way please reply as there'll be more little brown-nosers claiming you've owned me whatever you say!!

Bless them..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:21 pm

Isn't it annoying when you post a comment on the wrong thread Truss?

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next