The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mayweathers limited options

+14
johnson2
manos de piedra
azania
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
BoxingFan88
superflyweight
AlexHuckerby
d260005p
Waingro
88Chris05
Rowley
davidemore
Seanusarrilius
18 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Mayweathers limited options - Page 3 Empty Mayweathers limited options

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 09 Jan 2012, 1:06 pm

First topic message reminder :

So money can't buy you love... but it can buy you freedom, for a time.

But what decent opponents are out there? Personally I think Guerrero is neither good enough nor abig enough to be competative against Mayweather, and hasn't earned the shot IMO.

Being as it's a Mexican holiday (almost certainly booked in advance so Pac didn't get it for JMM 4) then Mayweather needs a Mexican to make big PPV>

So who is there? Canelo at 154?

Given this fight literally bought his freedom, who does Mayweather fight?

Pac has options, Bradley,Marquez or rematch with Cotto.

Mayweather, not as many options or credible ones at least.

Who should he fight?

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Mayweathers limited options - Page 3 Empty Re: Mayweathers limited options

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 09 Jan 2012, 9:54 pm

BoxingFan88 wrote:Apparently Pacquiao is going to tell Arum that he wants Mayweather next, its all over the internet... They are meeting on Tuesday, so fingers crossed!

We all know Pacquiao wants the fight, its Bob Arum who is scared.

Not happening mate looks like it will be Guerrero.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/boxing/post/_/id/842/report-floyd-mayweather-to-fight-robert-guerrero
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 09 Jan 2012, 9:56 pm

Until its signed it could be anyone. If Paq becomes available for May (his eye heals up quicker than expected) then it will be Paq. Who knows what Floyd will be like when he comes out of jail? That's probably why Arum wants it for Nov,

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 09 Jan 2012, 9:59 pm

ESPN are sold on the fact it's Guerrero.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 09 Jan 2012, 10:02 pm

Marquez mark II coming up then, a good opponent for anybody else but have to feel he has nothing to hurt Mayweather.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon 09 Jan 2012, 10:10 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Whether it's 154lbs or 160lbs Martinez is still going to rehydrate up to 167lbs, lets be honest thats roughly the same as Ortiz so saying a catchweight evens things up really doesn't wash.

Im not so much interested in the actual weight dynamics - of which its difficult to say with Martinez (I dont know what his in ring weight with Barker was) but I think hed be fine at light middleweight. Its the actual principal. Beating Martinez at either light middleweight would be a tougher fight, a more legacy enhancing fight and probably a more popular fight than any other out there bar Pacquiao. Yet you seem to be saying that unless its held at 160 theres no point. If going after the best or toughest fights is what builds legacies then stepping up a weight class to beat the pound for pound 4/5 guy (even if hes coming down a weight) is surely far more prestiguos than an Ortiz or a Guerrero or even an Alvarez.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 Jan 2012, 10:13 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:So money can't buy you love... but it can buy you freedom, for a time.

But what decent opponents are out there? Personally I think Guerrero is neither good enough nor abig enough to be competative against Mayweather, and hasn't earned the shot IMO.

Being as it's a Mexican holiday (almost certainly booked in advance so Pac didn't get it for JMM 4) then Mayweather needs a Mexican to make big PPV>

So who is there? Canelo at 154?

Given this fight literally bought his freedom, who does Mayweather fight?

Pac has options, Bradley,Marquez or rematch with Cotto.

Mayweather, not as many options or credible ones at least.

Who should he fight?

Have to disagree with you here Seanus...

Mayweather is the biggest draw in boxing today (okay, 2nd biggest for the Manny army), he will always have guys willing to fight him.

The one thing he will not be without, is options.

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 09 Jan 2012, 10:17 pm

manos de piedra wrote:
Imperial Ghosty wrote:Whether it's 154lbs or 160lbs Martinez is still going to rehydrate up to 167lbs, lets be honest thats roughly the same as Ortiz so saying a catchweight evens things up really doesn't wash.

Im not so much interested in the actual weight dynamics - of which its difficult to say with Martinez (I dont know what his in ring weight with Barker was) but I think hed be fine at light middleweight. Its the actual principal. Beating Martinez at either light middleweight would be a tougher fight, a more legacy enhancing fight and probably a more popular fight than any other out there bar Pacquiao. Yet you seem to be saying that unless its held at 160 theres no point. If going after the best or toughest fights is what builds legacies then stepping up a weight class to beat the pound for pound 4/5 guy (even if hes coming down a weight) is surely far more prestiguos than an Ortiz or a Guerrero or even an Alvarez.

At 154lbs Alvarez is the fight I would want to see, beating the best is all well and good but not entirely on your own terms.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 09 Jan 2012, 11:01 pm

A fight with Guererro would be ridiculous. The man hasn't fought at LWW and he's going against the best WW in the world? Nah. Sign up Paq.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 09 Jan 2012, 11:07 pm

Pacquiao won't sign up for the fight though because he does what he's told.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 09 Jan 2012, 11:13 pm

Dan Rafael has just tweeted he reckons Peterson is favourite to fight Pacquiao in June or July.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 09 Jan 2012, 11:27 pm

SugarRayRussell wrote:Dan Rafael has just tweeted he reckons Peterson is favourite to fight Pacquiao in June or July.

Cant argue with that. Watch Khan leave Roach and set up a fight with Paq (if Arum allows Paq to fight a GBP fighter). Best thing to happen to Khan if he does that. Roach has done all he can for Khan, Step forward Manny (Steward).

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 09 Jan 2012, 11:30 pm

azania wrote:
SugarRayRussell wrote:Dan Rafael has just tweeted he reckons Peterson is favourite to fight Pacquiao in June or July.

Cant argue with that. Watch Khan leave Roach and set up a fight with Paq (if Arum allows Paq to fight a GBP fighter). Best thing to happen to Khan if he does that. Roach has done all he can for Khan, Step forward Manny (Steward).

Me and Scott had this debate before and we both felt that Steward would be better for Khan. He trains fighters to use what they have better than Roach who only seems to be able to train fighters to fight the way he likes them to fight.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 09 Jan 2012, 11:37 pm

SugarRayRussell wrote:
azania wrote:

Me and Scott had this debate before and we both felt that Steward would be better for Khan. He trains fighters to use what they have better than Roach who only seems to be able to train fighters to fight the way he likes them to fight.

Absolutely. Khan has no inside game. Pointless trying to teach him to fight like Chavez (snr). His best attributes are his speed and when he needs to, his jab. So far his jab jas been a range finder at best or more likely a distraction to the opponent. He doesn't plant his feet when jabbing either or throwing his combinations.

He needs to learn how to deter the better pressure fighters. They just walk him down. If he fights to his strengths which are phenominal, he will develop to a superb boxer. Until then it all potential.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Waingro Tue 10 Jan 2012, 9:13 am

Peterson should not be fighting Pacquiao he will have to give up his titles that would be a poor fight he is not in Pacquiaos class he has been ordered to rematch Khan after his hometown win that is the fight he should be taking.

Tbh if the two fights were Pacquiao v Peterson and Mayweather v Gurerro who is not a welterweight it would be very disappointing they are not fights I would like to see.

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 10 Jan 2012, 9:30 am

Waingro wrote:Peterson should not be fighting Pacquiao he will have to give up his titles that would be a poor fight he is not in Pacquiaos class he has been ordered to rematch Khan after his hometown win that is the fight he should be taking.

Tbh if the two fights were Pacquiao v Peterson and Mayweather v Gurerro who is not a welterweight it would be very disappointing they are not fights I would like to see.

Peterson would be quite right to ditch his title and fight Pacquiao. The money he would make would be at least double what he would for the Khan fight. If Khan had got the decision in Washington do you think he would he have gave Peterson a rematch?
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Tue 10 Jan 2012, 2:20 pm

Guerrero does offer the ability to outthink an opponent. He also has a pretty decent jab.

Not as good as Floyd - should be a 6 to 8 round beating, with Guerrero having a few moments along the way.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 10 Jan 2012, 6:24 pm

Oxy, I think Guerrero would be a very good opponent for Pacquiao based on styles but unfortunately for Mayweather he does everything Guerrero does better. There are good fights for Mayweather out there but only Pacquiao, Alvarez and Martinez have a realistic chance of beating him.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Tue 10 Jan 2012, 6:47 pm

Literally 10 minutes ago on Twitter, Mayweather tweeted "Manny Pacquiao I'm calling you out let's fight May 5th and give the world what they want to see". He followed this with "My jail sentence was pushed back because the date was locked in. Step up punk."

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Tue 10 Jan 2012, 6:54 pm

JDizzle wrote:Literally 10 minutes ago on Twitter, Mayweather tweeted "Manny Pacquiao I'm calling you out let's fight May 5th and give the world what they want to see". He followed this with "My jail sentence was pushed back because the date was locked in. Step up punk."

And Pacquiao also revealed he has been telling Arum Mayweather is the opponent he wants all along. The timing of these things is always suspect as they appear to be willing to fight each other when they each have other fights lined up. As soon as they are free its back to the same old story.

Calling out Pacquiao on twitter when a fight with Guerrero is supposedly all but sealed!

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Tue 10 Jan 2012, 6:56 pm

I didn't realise the Guerrero fight was that close to being on, but if it is then it is same old same old. Boring.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Tue 10 Jan 2012, 6:59 pm

JDizzle wrote:I didn't realise the Guerrero fight was that close to being on, but if it is then it is same old same old. Boring.

Yeah unfortunately most sources are reporting that the Guerrero fight is almost a done deal.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by johnson2 Tue 10 Jan 2012, 8:15 pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/boxing/article-2084848/Floyd-Mayweather-wants-fight-Manny-Pacquiao-May-5.html

Floyd officially called out Manny.

Manny has told him he lets his promotor decide. More ducking from team Manny it would appear.

johnson2

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Wed 11 Jan 2012, 1:46 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Oxy, I think Guerrero would be a very good opponent for Pacquiao based on styles but unfortunately for Mayweather he does everything Guerrero does better. There are good fights for Mayweather out there but only Pacquiao, Alvarez and Martinez have a realistic chance of beating him.

Agreed. Martinez would win in my opinion - with Floyd pushing him close - but Martinez is huge by comparison with Floyd. Pacquiao's chance looks to be being sold down the river by Arum and Alvarez is a wee bit green.

I'll give Guerrero some moments in the fight. He's a good fighter, he'll be in the shape of his life and he likes to outthink an opponent.

But he won't outthink Floyd.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 11 Jan 2012, 5:59 pm

That's the real shame if this happens Oxy, Mayweather will get next to no credit when he comfortably beats Guerrero who would give anyone else between lightweight and Welterweight problems but would even have to make Mayweather a pretty hefty favourite over Martinez.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed 11 Jan 2012, 6:08 pm

The shame is that Guerrero is being considered as an opponent. Wont have fought in a over year coming off rehab, no credentials at welterweight either. I dont think he even ever won a world title at lightweight.

Hes a good fighter but someone in Mayweathers position should be looking for a bigger challenge than that I feel.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Wed 11 Jan 2012, 8:14 pm

You'd pick Floydy over Sergio?

Maybe its cos fists secured a couple of Q&As with him - but I can see Floyd really struggling with this one. Sergio a slick southpaw with outstanding power and a decent jab. Floyd doesn't like southpaws and sergio's power, when it lands - should be enough to buy Floyd's respect.

However - its hard to pick how a guy loses when they've never lost. As lil Floyd loves to say only too well - there's no blueprint!

EDIT: unless its Castillo 1 - in which case - the plan must be to rip Floyd's rotator cuff apart before the start of the fight
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 11 Jan 2012, 8:21 pm

Think Floyds struggles with southpaws are over exaggerated if i'm honest Oxy, the problem Martinez will have as many others have found is landing a punch of substance.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3