The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pacquiao accepts Mayweathers challenge (source: BBC News)

+7
Waingro
bellchees
TRUSSMAN66
lightsout
azania
The genius of PBF
All Time Great
11 posters

Go down

Pacquiao accepts Mayweathers challenge (source: BBC News) Empty Pacquiao accepts Mayweathers challenge (source: BBC News)

Post by All Time Great Thu 12 Jan 2012, 6:58 pm

Although not the most reliable source. It looks like this fight is very much going ahead. Maybe 18 months too late, but nevertheless it looks the fight everyone wants is nearing it's conclusion.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/16515328.stm

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Pacquiao accepts Mayweathers challenge (source: BBC News) Empty Re: Pacquiao accepts Mayweathers challenge (source: BBC News)

Post by The genius of PBF Thu 12 Jan 2012, 7:13 pm

Wont happen...It is another Bob Arum bs dont why all of you keep falling for it.

Pacquiao needs to stop hiding behind his promoter and step up.

What's wrong with May 5th, they keep making excuses Bob Arum and team Pacquiao.

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Pacquiao accepts Mayweathers challenge (source: BBC News) Empty Re: Pacquiao accepts Mayweathers challenge (source: BBC News)

Post by azania Thu 12 Jan 2012, 7:18 pm

The genius of PBF wrote:Wont happen...It is another Bob Arum bs dont why all of you keep falling for it.

Pacquiao needs to stop hiding behind his promoter and step up.

[b]What's wrong with May 5th, they keep making excuses Bob Arum and team Pacquiao.
[/b

$10m apparently.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by lightsout Thu 12 Jan 2012, 7:28 pm

Now let the Arum B.S begin, they're already saying they'll fight but not on the 5th of May and soon we'll have a whole list of other excuses why Manny would love to fight but is not going to, now we know that PBF is definitely on for the fight as ge's looking at doing time in the near future anyway and has only been let off until June so he can fight on 5th May..........I'll be absolutley amazed if this fight ever happens..... Question: Manny do you want to fight? Answer: Yes .....but not on that date....I'd like to fight on another date.......Question: Manny .....err but that means we can't fight then ...... Answer: I know that but it's not my fault...................................................... Whistle

lightsout

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 12 Jan 2012, 7:30 pm

If it doesn't happen blame Manny...as he can either fire Arum or say he'll retire if it doesn't happen!!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by All Time Great Thu 12 Jan 2012, 7:33 pm

Approx. $15m lost (for each man) from gate receipts for having it at MGM vs the 40,000 outdoor stadium that is to be erected in Las Vegas.

I believe Mayweather is contractually obliged to fulfil his obligation with MGM on the 5th May, which could prove a stumbling block. Being Cinco De Mayo, you would hope MGM would be able to house two Mexican fighters (as the Mexicans always flood Vegas during these dates). So potentially this could be negated pending on Floyd's contractual terms.

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Thu 12 Jan 2012, 7:36 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:If it doesn't happen blame Manny...as he can either fire Arum or say he'll retire if it doesn't happen!!!

Agree...No doubt some guys on here will claim Mayweather "ducked" the fight...Baffles me how Manny gets away with criticism.

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 12 Jan 2012, 7:40 pm

Stick the likes Alvarez and Morales or similar on the undercard, in fact flood it with quality fights from top to bottom and people will cough up their green. Do a deal with the cinemas to screen it via CCTV for those who can't get tickets.

This fight doean't go ahead...blame Arum and Manny...end of!

Back to top Go down

Post by lightsout Thu 12 Jan 2012, 7:43 pm

Totally agree with Truss, it's not about the money both fighters could retire comfortably tomorrow, this is all about Bob Arum trying to extract every last dime out of Manny his little cash cow.......and Manny being prepared and wanting to hide behind Bob Arum......man with Tattoo's whose afraid of needles........ Headscratch

lightsout

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 12 Jan 2012, 7:45 pm

They want the fight later in May also because I reckon they feel Floyd will have him mind elsewhere (prison) and would not be fully focussed.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by lightsout Thu 12 Jan 2012, 7:46 pm

azania wrote:They want the fight later in May also because I reckon they feel Floyd will have him mind elsewhere (prison) and would not be fully focussed.

They don't want to fight....end of.....

lightsout

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Thu 12 Jan 2012, 7:57 pm

Am I the only one who wouldn't be overly excited by this even if it did happen? For me it would be a comfortable win for Mayweather at this stage, I don't think Manny has looked at his best since he beat Cotto. He had a genuine chance a few years ago but he has lost a bit of his hand and foot speed and I'm not sure his heart is in boxing any more. Mayweather however has lost a touch of speed but has adapted his style accordingly and for me has a relatively comfortable night against Manny now, I really think Floyd could go on a long time in a similar way to Hopkins because of his ring IQ if thats what he wanted to do.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 12 Jan 2012, 8:06 pm

lightsout wrote:
azania wrote:They want the fight later in May also because I reckon they feel Floyd will have him mind elsewhere (prison) and would not be fully focussed.

I dont doubt Pac wants it. Just dont think Arum has the same level of confidence in Pac's ability to win the fight.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by lightsout Thu 12 Jan 2012, 8:59 pm

azania wrote:
lightsout wrote:

I dont doubt Pac wants it. Just dont think Arum has the same level of confidence in Pac's ability to win the fight.

It's like Truss says if Manny really wanted it he could just sack Mr Arum tomorrow, jod done.......

lightsout

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 12 Jan 2012, 9:34 pm

lightsout wrote:
azania wrote:
lightsout wrote:

It's like Truss says if Manny really wanted it he could just sack Mr Arum tomorrow, jod done.......

Cant just sack a promoter like that. If he did, watch Arum sue him and ends his career.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by lightsout Thu 12 Jan 2012, 9:39 pm

I'm struggling there, when I say 'sack' there's lots of ways of making it clear to a promoter or boss whatever that you are done with them without actually turning round and saying it ......

lightsout

Back to top Go down

Post by Waingro Thu 12 Jan 2012, 9:42 pm

I think this fight will happen Pacquiao knows he is on the slide this could be his last fight he cant risk waiting any longer or he will be shot and past it so he needs to fight Mayweather now. Mayweather is clever he saw the Marquez fight and even though Pacquaio won he knows Marquez was robbed and Pacquiao is on the slide so he wants to fight him for a massive payday now he know he will school Pacquiao.

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 12 Jan 2012, 9:45 pm

lightsout wrote:I'm struggling there, when I say 'sack' there's lots of ways of making it clear to a promoter or boss whatever that you are done with them without actually turning round and saying it ......

The promoter normally holds the boxer by the gonads. Its never easy to break away unless he contract between the two has expired.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by lightsout Thu 12 Jan 2012, 10:27 pm

azania wrote:
lightsout wrote:I'm struggling there, when I say 'sack' there's lots of ways of making it clear to a promoter or boss whatever that you are done with them without actually turning round and saying it ......

The promoter normally holds the boxer by the gonads. Its never easy to break away unless he contract between the two has expired.

Trust me there's nobody in the world that wants this to happen more than me, I'd go all out ie brand new 50" plasma etc and I'd even pay the PPV this time whatever..........it's not going to happen though........Manny knows his fans have him winning the fight whether it takes place or not........why take a big chance and have your nemesis erase you from the history books with a well timed lunging left hook......as happened with Hatton.........

lightsout

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu 12 Jan 2012, 10:38 pm

This fight won't happen in May.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Thu 12 Jan 2012, 11:19 pm

All Time Great wrote:Approx. $15m lost (for each man) from gate receipts for having it at MGM vs the 40,000 outdoor stadium that is to be erected in Las Vegas.
I've heard this before about the 40,000 stadium that needs to be built. But why for this fight? There have been many big fights that have generated millions that have taken place at the MGM.

To me, it seems like a Bob Arum excuse to not make the fight.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 Jan 2012, 8:53 am

Suggestions in the media say Arum wants the fight but only if Floyd gets in touch and negotiates personally. Also suggestions Arum wants June 1st...the day Floyd is due to start his prison sentence.

Could someone please send Arum a load of bacon, pate and full fat cheese and then hopefully his withered black heart will finally give out and we'd be free and clear to watch Floyd pitch a shut out or even KO Manny in 6 then we can all gree it wasn't worth the wait and move on with our lives...thank you!

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 13 Jan 2012, 9:09 am

Isn't Arum Jewish? I think Bacon will only excacerbate matters...

If there's more money in an outdoor stadium fair enough, but doesn't this mean Mayweather will have to cancel his contract with MGM Grand? I can't see them being overly pleased about that and could also cause further problems.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 13 Jan 2012, 9:14 am

i'm with bellchees, can't even get excited about this any more, i always fancied pbf for this, but i've gone from having him slight favourite to a virtual shoe-in for it. Manny's on the slide, or doing a damn good impression of it, can't see how he wins it, unless mayweather is too.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down