The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your perspective

+12
Nico the gman
superflyweight
Rowley
Mind the windows Tino.
AlexHuckerby
OasisBFC
JabMachine
88Chris05
huw
HumanWindmill
ShahenshahG
johnson2
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Your perspective Empty Your perspective

Post by johnson2 Tue 10 Jan 2012, 1:00 pm

It is easy being a fan of a sport, and quite often, as fans, we criticise those who compete in our chosen sport as cheats, money grabbers, duckers etc...

No doubt many of these things are true. Tevez is a money grabbing turd, Calzaghe systematically ducked nearly all major challenges in his time and Manny and Floyd are happy to fight boxers far, far inferior to themselves and rake in the millions doing so.

The question is would any of you do anything different. If a football club offered to quadrouple your wages, are you realy suggesting you wouldnt leave. If you could stay at home fighting tins of soup for decent money for 10 years with no risk, would you turn this revenue stream down for higher risk fights.

Each person is obviously different. What type of person would you be. Fight the best (sometimes for less money) in a quest to be remembered as a great, or chase the money which will allow you to provide for you and your family and fund a lavish retirement.

I know which I would do... chase the money.

johnson2

Back to top Go down

Your perspective Empty Re: Your perspective

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 10 Jan 2012, 1:03 pm

Depends - If I was like Naz then i'd go for the high risk - the money is there - even in losses - morales,barrera pacquiao, Mayweather - so much big money opponents - If I was like Ottke - then definately stay at home.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Tue 10 Jan 2012, 1:07 pm

It's an interesting one.

At base level we start to box - or have punch ups in the playground - because we want to be better than the next guy. If we carry on winning I guess the motivation is to carry on proving ourselves the best as our confidence grows.

If, however, we get our backsides handed to us somewhere along the way or never really have that deep inner belief then I guess it would be a huge temptation to grab the rewards on offer without going nearly so far as our original intention.

Last edited by HumanWindmill on Tue 10 Jan 2012, 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by johnson2 Tue 10 Jan 2012, 1:11 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:It's an interesting one.

At base level we start to box - or have punch ups in the playground - because we want to be better than the next guy. If we carry on winning, I guess the motivation is to carry on proving ourselves the best as our confidence grows.

If, however, we get our backsides handed to us somewhere along the way or never really have that deep inner belief then I guess it would be a huge temptation to grab the rewards on offer without going nearly so far as our original intention.

Agree to a point. Using Floyd as an example, up to super feather he resume is pretty good, so he obviously is not scared of challenges. It all changes once he has become the money maker after the DLH fight. I think when he gets to this level he starts to see the dollar signs. Sure he would probably like to be seen as the GOAT, but not at the expense of a loss on his record and less money in his bank.

johnson2

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Tue 10 Jan 2012, 1:14 pm

I think it would be hard to be one or the other and in fact most people would be a combination of both.

At the early part of your career you would be hungry and probably want to prove yourself the best.

The business (boxing) is a dirty one and I think it would change you throughout your career as you progress. As you move on you would probably see how dirty and corrupt it can be and look to ensure you have enough money for your future.

Towards the end of your career it could go one of two ways, either you start to hate the sport and take from it what you can or you would look towards your legacy and start to fight the most career defining fights (maybe not the hardest fights!!)

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by johnson2 Tue 10 Jan 2012, 1:17 pm

The feeling of winning 1-on-1 combat is fantastic so early on in your career I can understand why this may be more important. But wave the pounds signs and even the most determined man will faulter.

In recent times, could anyone really name a fighter who has genuinely done all in his power to fight the best, regardless of what he gets paid?

johnson2

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 10 Jan 2012, 1:24 pm

I suspect you'll be far from alone in thinking you'd take the money train rather than the glory one, Johnson!

That said, I'd contend that in many cases, going for the glory carries with it great financial success as a by-product. I don't necessarily think that the two are mutually exclusive, to put it bluntly.

Truth be told, the much mentioned 'easy fights for big money against tough fights for small money' doesn't really happen all that much. For example, we can point towards the financial gains of Eubank's deal with Sky from the early to mid nineties, in which he seldom fought a contender worthy of battling it out for a world title, but I don't think for a second that ditching that deal and going abroad to take on the likes of Toney, Nunn or Barkley would have left him any less well off. Quite the opposite in the longer run, I'd imagine.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by johnson2 Tue 10 Jan 2012, 1:37 pm

I agree, fighting and beating the best is the best way to make money. It is more what could potentially happen if you lose to the best. A lot of importance is placed on the 0 (wrongly) and if you lose this you lose the potential for bigger purses in fights.

How many watched Calzaghe because he was unbeaten, a fair few I imagine. They get sucked into the whole undefeated argument.

johnson2

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachine Tue 10 Jan 2012, 1:45 pm

Tyson came from a weak period of heavyweights while he was in his fabled "prime" but he's remembered for his big fights by the general public, not the fact he always won (which he obviously didn't) and he always stepped up to take on the big fights - Holyfield and Lewis for example. He may have been found out, but his legacy remains due to his early career and then the latter days when he was in really fantastic fights.

He's what I'd consider a warrior. Albeit slightly mental and controversial but still a warrior who took on who he could to cement himself as the best heavyweight.

Lewis was the same - he could have easily sat at home and hammered everyone after avenging his loss to McCall but he went out and actively searched for the best opponents. Thats why he's an ATG heavyweight.

Thats also why Calzaghe isn't for me an ATG Super-middle in the same vein as Roy Jones/B-hop.

I'd personally say in Boxing where your legacy is carved from the fights you have - I wouldn't care about money. I'd make enough to be comfortable and then the rest would take care of itself. Pacquiao/Mayweather/Arum have enough money to not really care if they ever thought about boxing again. I believe they're killing the sport because they're not proving themselves to the fans by making fights that matter.

JabMachine

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Tue 10 Jan 2012, 4:02 pm

i'd go for the legacy. no point in being average in life.

remember greater risk can result in greater rewards.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by johnson2 Tue 10 Jan 2012, 4:24 pm

OasisBFC wrote:i'd go for the legacy. no point in being average in life.

I'd rather be remembered as a decent boxer with an absolute mint in the bank...

Than a boxer held in higher esteem with less money.

Guess I like money too much.

johnson2

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 10 Jan 2012, 4:35 pm

Money, money, money, moneeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyy... MONEY!

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 10 Jan 2012, 4:37 pm

I think Marlon Starling had it (almost) right, bless him: "I'll fight Lloyd Honeyghan for nothing if the money's right."
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 10 Jan 2012, 4:43 pm

To be honest, I would feel as though it was my obligation to the fans to give them the fights that they wanted to see me in.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 10 Jan 2012, 4:45 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:To be honest, I would feel as though it was my obligation to the fans to give them the fights that they wanted to see me in.

I would like to see you in a fight with a Bengal Tiger.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 10 Jan 2012, 4:47 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
AlexHuckerby wrote:To be honest, I would feel as though it was my obligation to the fans to give them the fights that they wanted to see me in.

Do you want to see alex on a sex offenders list or something?

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 10 Jan 2012, 4:50 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:

I can do my best.

I'm already on a register, it's convenient, they tell the whole neighbourhood who you are when you move, no need for the whole gettign to know you part, strange though, as they never seem to want to get to know me...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 10 Jan 2012, 4:51 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:

I never want to see her, actually. The thought of an enraged HR worker from Leeds is too much to contemplate.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 10 Jan 2012, 4:52 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:

I never want to see her, actually. The thought of an enraged HR worker from Leeds is too much to contemplate.

We have been through this!! I no longer work in HR, I have a much more manly job now!!

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 10 Jan 2012, 4:53 pm

Look Alex may work in HR but he is a Yorkshireman, which even allowing for the effeminite choice of profession still makes him ten times the man of anyone on here,apart from me as I'm a Yorkshireman and don't have a girls job.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 10 Jan 2012, 4:53 pm

rowley wrote:Look Alex may work in HR but he is a Yorkshireman, which even allowing for the effeminite choice of profession still makes him ten times the man of anyone on here,apart from me as I'm a Yorkshireman and don't have a job.

Fixed.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Tue 10 Jan 2012, 4:54 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:
ShahenshahG wrote:

We have been through this!! I no longer work in HR, I have a much more manly job now!!

Maid?

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 10 Jan 2012, 4:55 pm

superflyweight wrote:
AlexHuckerby wrote:
ShahenshahG wrote:

Maid?

Nail technician.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 10 Jan 2012, 4:55 pm

rowley wrote:Look Alex may work in HR but he is a Yorkshireman, which even allowing for the effeminite choice of profession still makes him ten times the man of anyone on here,apart from me as I'm a Yorkshireman and don't have a job.

Fixed.

Don't be daft, how else do you think he can afford to be part of TWO libraries?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 10 Jan 2012, 4:55 pm

superflyweight wrote:
AlexHuckerby wrote:
ShahenshahG wrote:

Maid?

Our guess was either hairdresser or host on loose women, is hard to say because there are very few things less girly than working in hr.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 10 Jan 2012, 4:56 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:

Fixed.

Am guessing you're not too familiar with the basic concept that underpins libraries are you alex.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Tue 10 Jan 2012, 4:57 pm

johnson2 wrote:
OasisBFC wrote:i'd go for the legacy. no point in being average in life.

I'd rather be remembered as a decent boxer with an absolute mint in the bank...

Than a boxer held in higher esteem with less money.

Guess I like money too much.

if you were held in high esteem you'd most likely have far more money than a bum fighter.
if you got to a stage where you deserved big fights you'd make the same in a night fighting mayweather than you would in years fighting bums.

i think you lot assume most boxers are on a lot of money. far from it unless you're very good. calzaghe didnt get a massive pay day till late on in his career taking punches from bums when he could have been furthering his career making serious money in america.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 10 Jan 2012, 4:57 pm

I was working in Property Lettings but now it looks as though I'm going to be a Tenancy Support Assistant.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 10 Jan 2012, 4:57 pm

rowley wrote:
AlexHuckerby wrote:

Fixed.

Am guessing you're not too familiar with the basic concept that underpins libraries are you alex.

Laugh

You win.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 10 Jan 2012, 4:59 pm

rowley wrote:
AlexHuckerby wrote:

Fixed.

I used to go to one when I was little, don't know what the etiquette is, do you pay for them? Don't tell Coxy I complained about this but the Tories have taken all the ones that were closeish to me down now. I just buy my books.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 10 Jan 2012, 5:01 pm

No you don't pay for them Alex,they lend them you for three weeks and then you return them, which is why they are such wonderful places and why everyone should object to them being closed, and why coxy is an idiot.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Tue 10 Jan 2012, 5:02 pm

I used to go to one when I was little, don't know what the etiquette is, do you pay for them?

I guess it depends how long you keep them for.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Tue 10 Jan 2012, 5:22 pm

If I was a limited world champion and was asked to go to the US and fight a Mayweather or Pacman, I'd way up the pros and cons,could I generate big money in my own country fighting 2nd raters, or do I ask for an obscene amount of money to fight a PBF type fighter, in a fight that not even my granny gives me a chance of winning.

Would have to think long and hard cos bravery don't pay the bills.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 10 Jan 2012, 5:43 pm

rowley wrote:No you don't pay for them Alex,they lend them you for three weeks and then you return them, which is why they are such wonderful places and why everyone should object to them being closed, and why coxy is an idiot.

They're a romantic ideal the internet makes largely redundant. Have good memories of using them with the folks as a kid but this isn't the 80/90s now, not only do people not read much anyway but they have e-books or cheap online stores to access if they do.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Tue 10 Jan 2012, 5:56 pm

you can get loads of free books for kindles etc. hundreds of the buggers.

yes, most will be absolute tosh, but my mum and missus will ready any old rubbish so they love it.

it does mean libraries are becoming more and more redundant.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 10 Jan 2012, 6:01 pm

Still prefer a paperback - not as much fun smoking a pipe with a kindle in your hand.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 10 Jan 2012, 6:24 pm

I'd take the money..they could feed me a dwarf every fight if they wanted to.....

No one really cares about you..and legacies like Oscar's are poohed poohed all the time anyway..

I'd take the money and screw the lot of you....but you'd get a postcard from me and my playboy bunny every year!! Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Wed 11 Jan 2012, 12:57 pm

This thread has been my favourite for a while.

Tino, Rowley and Alex all on fine form. I miss my old job where I could skive on here all day.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 11 Jan 2012, 1:03 pm

huw wrote:This thread has been my favourite for a while.

Tino, Rowley and Alex all on fine form. I miss my old job where I could skive on here all day.

Honourable mentions to Superfly and Shah. Both are almost as witty as me.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by johnson2 Wed 11 Jan 2012, 1:03 pm

Never really understood reading for pleasure, it's boring. If the story is any good it will generally be made into a film/TV show condensed into two hours of exciting viewing.

The only time I read is to better myself, reading a Jackie Collins novel like Rowley won't do that.

johnson2

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 11 Jan 2012, 1:05 pm

johnson2 wrote:Never really understood reading for pleasure, it's boring. If the story is any good it will generally be made into a film/TV show condensed into two hours of exciting viewing.

The only time I read is to better myself, reading a Jackie Collins novel like Rowley won't do that.

I take it you've never read The Stud then.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 11 Jan 2012, 1:06 pm

That insult is intolerable. Alex...your handbag please ...time to duel.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 11 Jan 2012, 1:06 pm

johnson2 wrote:Never really understood reading for pleasure, it's boring. If the story is any good it will generally be made into a film/TV show condensed into two hours of exciting viewing.

Truss has got an autobiography out?

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 11 Jan 2012, 1:07 pm

rowley wrote:

Truss has got an autobiography out?

It said Stud not tub.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 11 Jan 2012, 4:47 pm

A Trussman autobiography, blimey I would actually pay good money to read that, be a... Different type of book should we put it?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by johnson2 Wed 11 Jan 2012, 4:49 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:A Trussman autobiography, blimey I would actually pay good money to read that, be a... Different type of book should we put it?

You would pay good money to read about an 'American Beefster'?

Can't say I am shocked, what with you working in HR.

johnson2

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 11 Jan 2012, 4:51 pm

*Sigh* I should have never told anyone that I was working in HR at one point...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 11 Jan 2012, 4:51 pm

johnson2 wrote:
AlexHuckerby wrote:A Trussman autobiography, blimey I would actually pay good money to read that, be a... Different type of book should we put it?

For the love of God, she doesn't work in HR. Alex is a makeup consultant for Boots.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 11 Jan 2012, 4:54 pm

johnson2 wrote:

For the love of God, she doesn't work in HR. Alex is a makeup consultant for Boots.

Theres no shame in that - its just that when you look like him - you try to draw as much attention to your boots as you can.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 11 Jan 2012, 4:59 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:
johnson2 wrote:

Theres no shame in that - its just that when you look like him - you try to draw as much attention to your boots as you can.

Irreverent, but excellent work, Shah.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next