The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Death of the Elite Running Back

3 posters

Go down

Death of the Elite Running Back Empty Death of the Elite Running Back

Post by The Mangler US_UK Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:01 pm

Story on the demise of the elite running back in the NFL. Thoughts?

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Adrian-Peterson-Arian-Foster-elite-running-backs-supplanted-by-Calvin-Johnson-elite-wide-receivers-011012

The Mangler US_UK

Back to top Go down

Death of the Elite Running Back Empty Re: Death of the Elite Running Back

Post by crazy_dave23 Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:28 pm

I agree that the elite running back is dying out and i'm not surprised.

Its partly because its "easier" to put up points through the air, both in terms of it stopping the clock more and the obvious factor that passes average longer than runs. The fans probably enjoy it more and I imagine a high scoring offence would put more bums on seats than ground an pound offences in the same city.
Defensive rules have hindered the DBs making it even easier and desirable to throw.
Featured backs take hits all the time and injuries are very common. Factor in the fact that there are plenty of capable backs in college each year who will "do the job" for a couple of years and most will just not bother paying someone the large amounts it takes to keep and Adrian Peterson, Arian Foster or CJ2K. I know there are plenty of WRs who will just "do the job" as well, but you require multiple receivers on every play and so the talent gets spread a bit thinner leading to the demand placed on someone like Megatron

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:22 pm

the only truly elite rb in the nfl is A.D and I can only hope he can come back from his injury the same way Frank Gore and Wes Welker did

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down