The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cardiff Blues - Rumours, INS/OUTS

+15
ScarletSpiderman
Morgannwg
Shifty
doctornickolas
LiziDragons
gowales
Welshmushroom
formerly known as Sam
XR
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
pioden gorllewin
thebandwagonsociety
Cardiff Dave
maestegmafia
wales606
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Cardiff Blues - Rumours, INS/OUTS Empty Cardiff Blues - Rumours, INS/OUTS

Post by wales606 Wed 11 Jan 2012, 10:18 pm

Just read an interesting comment on the Blues forum. Normally I wouldnt take much notice, but some of the rumours of signing appear to make sense

ARRIVING

Gareth Delve?? - Apparently wants to leave Melbourne and the Blues would be the natural choice for his return to Wales.

Rhys Gill ? - Says he want to go back to Wales next season and wants to go to the Blues, if Gethin leaves, Gill will definitely be arriving.

Jonathon Davies??? - Maybe just a rumour, but in a Walesonline article is says "Scarlets confident out-of-contract Jonathan Davies will remain in Wales", not in Wales

Jimmy Gopperth ?? - Newcastle are pretty much gaurenteed to get relegated and the Blues are certainly in the market for a good 10, I dont know much about Gopperth, but any 10 who can tackle, run and isn't a fullback will be welcomed by the Blues.

Nick Macleod???

LEAVING

Dan Parks? - Pretty much certain

Xavier Rush? - Pretty much certain

Gethin Jenkins?? - With the rumours from Bath and Gills negotiation this is becoming more likely.

Fau Filise? - Retirement

Ben Blair?? - Still on the books, now fit - but unable to play for "insurance issues" :/

Casey Laulaula ? - Rumoured to be off to France or Munster apparently.

Ritchie Rees ?? - Out of contract, apparently leaving.

Ceri Sweeney ???? - Who knows what will happen to him.

Last edited by wales606 on Fri 20 Jan 2012, 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Cardiff Blues - Rumours, INS/OUTS Empty Re: Cardiff Blues - Rumours, INS/OUTS

Post by maestegmafia Wed 11 Jan 2012, 10:45 pm

You dont want Gopperth...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed 11 Jan 2012, 10:54 pm

Gopperth seems to be pretty highly thought of?

Looks like LI want him as well...

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/rugby/london_irish/s/2105975_london_irish_keen_to_sign_jimmy_gopperth
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Thu 12 Jan 2012, 12:33 am

Good old CCS;

"Thomas is making cuts of £750,000 in all, £600,000 of which will come off the playing budget and the rest from off-the-field savings."

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/rugby-news/2011/01/20/blues-paying-price-of-failure-says-peter-thomas-91466-28017869/#ixzz1jCQpEgV2

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 12 Jan 2012, 2:08 am

That was from last years budget, the cuts have already been made, if we make the HC 1/4s then there should be more money available for players and thats before you include the salaries of all the departing players.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Thu 12 Jan 2012, 7:57 am

Delve would be a great replacement for Rush.
Molitika needs to be nudge out also at this stage.

Delve and Warburton would give you the base of a tnt backrow

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by pioden gorllewin Thu 12 Jan 2012, 8:13 am

Apparently Delve has had a huge offer from Japan, but wants to return to the uk and be situated in Cardiff/London. Think Leicester has show some interest in signing him (offered to show him around Welford rd, facilities etc) plus a few other Jeff teams. But my money would be on Cardiff for next season - but Cardiff main problem is a number 10 for next season. Shame WRU can't help to bring Shingler (a welsh qualified one) back to Wales. Would be beneficial to the region & Wales. What about the ponty number 10 Gunter? He's has always looked good, when I've seen him play.
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 12 Jan 2012, 8:36 am

pioden gorllewin wrote:Apparently Delve has had a huge offer from Japan, but wants to return to the uk and be situated in Cardiff/London. Think Leicester has show some interest in signing him (offered to show him around Welford rd, facilities etc) plus a few other Jeff teams. But my money would be on Cardiff for next season - but Cardiff main problem is a number 10 for next season. Shame WRU can't help to bring Shingler (a welshScots qualified one) back to Wales. Would be beneficial to the region & Wales. What about the ponty number 10 Gunter? He's has always looked good, when I've seen him play.
Corrected it for you, no charge OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Thu 12 Jan 2012, 9:50 am

^ Laugh

Don't know much about Gopperth but he's apparently a sturdier version of Dan Parks. i.e He kicks his goals but can also tackle.

Welcome any Falcon fans opinions.

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 12 Jan 2012, 10:26 am

Think Leicester has show some interest in signing him (offered to show him around Welford rd, facilities etc) plus a few other Jeff teams

I think Tigers probably did that on the back of the contract talks with Waldrom which are still on going. If Waldrom doesn't re-sign I'd expect Tigers to be in the market rather quickly. If he does then Crane and Newby will be back by next season as well Waldrom and youngster De Carpienter so they wouldn't need another 8.

Goppert is great at kicking and a fair tackler but pretty much never passes. He's not bad running with the ball just don't expect much backline play.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 12 Jan 2012, 10:37 am

I cant see Jonathan Davies movinig to another region in Wales. If he leaves the Scarlets, he'll leave the country imo. He's a Scarlet born and bred, so honestly can't see him playing for another region. I really, really hope he doesn't leave us anyway.

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Thu 12 Jan 2012, 10:47 am

His mrs is a cardiff lady, have a word dear!

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 12 Jan 2012, 10:51 am

Ha sure, most of the Scarlets lads live in Cardiff now, doesn't mean they'll play for the Blues though!

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Thu 12 Jan 2012, 11:07 am

We'll just throw women at them, it worked for Rushie!

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Thu 12 Jan 2012, 11:11 am

I'm only guessing here but Tovey is out of Contract with the Dragons. Blues may have put a bid on the table for him. Personally he would be a good signing for the Blues to fill the 10 berth.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 12 Jan 2012, 11:18 am

Ha sure, most of the Scarlets lads live in Cardiff now, doesn't mean they'll play for the Blues though! .

All that beautiful Welsh countryside and they live in Cardiff?!? At least the Tigers players have better sense. I don't think I've ever heard of one actually living in Leicester.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 12 Jan 2012, 11:20 am

Somehow I think living in Cardiff is preferable to living in Llanelli, Sam!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 12 Jan 2012, 11:22 am

gcBlues wrote:We'll just throw women at them, it worked for Rushie!

such underhand tactics! I'm shocked..... Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 12 Jan 2012, 11:50 am

Somehow I think living in Cardiff is preferable to living in Llanelli, Sam!

Well I was thinking that avoiding the cities altogether may be a good idea, especially in a small rugby mad country where the chances are you'll be recognised frequently if you're an international.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 12 Jan 2012, 11:56 am

Hmm, perhaps, I dunno. I've lived in Cardiff 3 years now and I very rarely see any of the rugby players actually.

Seen Rush, Tito, Brew, A Shingler, Roberts and Stephen Jones and that's about it. Think if they live on the outskirts or down in the bay, they don't get seen much. Besides for young 20 somethings? Think the Diff is the best place for them outside of their rugby.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 12 Jan 2012, 11:57 am

I've only seen Blues players out and about in Cardiff, saw Deiniol Jones and Halfpenny in HMV buying cheap DVDs, and Dan Parks in Tescos arguing with his missus

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Thu 12 Jan 2012, 6:15 pm

To be fair on Gopperth he's playing for Newcastle!
So you won't really be able to see his attacking skills for them. He has to play conservatively or risk losing the game by more points. I heard that when he was down in New Zealand he was more of an adventurous player and when he first went to Falcons he said that he liked to run the ball first, then pass it and then kick it.
Maybe playing in a non relegation league like the Pro 12 and a team that wants to play attacking rugby he would flourish?

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by LiziDragons Thu 12 Jan 2012, 6:48 pm

Gopperth is a quality player, however hasnt shown his full potential as the Falcons have been pretty poor...
i think he'd be a good signing for the Blues

LiziDragons

Back to top Go down

Post by doctornickolas Thu 12 Jan 2012, 7:05 pm

The Blues should be going for a Welsh outside half.....Shingler anyone??

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Thu 12 Jan 2012, 7:13 pm

Shingler signed a 2 year deal with London Irish.
So the Blues wouldn't be able to sign him until the 2013-2014 season.

Jason Tovey or Steffan Jones at the Dragons could be good.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Thu 12 Jan 2012, 7:56 pm

In the 2009-2010 season Cardiff wage budget was £5m, several players left last season and this was reduced to £4.4m, now they must not spend more £3.5m on a 38 man European Cup squad.

Gill is looking very good at Saracens and I can't see the Blues being able to compete with them for him, assuming Saracens want to keep him, personally I think he's using the Welsh regions to bump his bargaining power up for contract negotiations with Saracens.

I did write the list of who is believed to be out of contract, on this thread,

https://www.606v2.com/t21590-welsh-regions-players-out-of-contract-this-summer

but I will repost it here.

Richie Rees - May keep but on reduced contract

Jamie Corsi, - Will probably get a 1 year deal

Ryan Tyrrell, - Australian, taking up an NWQ place, 6 games in 2 years, released

Nathan Trevett, - Decent player, but probably more Premiership standard, will probably stay at Cardiff RFC.

Ryan Harford, - Will probably be retained, but will spend most of his time playing for Pontypridd as a semi pro.

Gareth Davies, - Way down the pecking order, back to the Premiership, released.

Marc Breeze - recently broken into the first team squad and done well, will be retained.

Maama Molitika, - will be 38 at the end of the season, will retire as a player, but could possibly stay on as a coach given his 7 years good
service.

Ben Blair, - Marquee Blues signing, has barely played due to injury, hasn't played for 4 months, will be released.

Tao’ Felise, - 6 Seasons at the Blues and well thought of, I can see him being retained.

Martyn Williams, - Hopefully he will retire gracefully now, the Blues have Warburton and Navidi, so Williams is only bed blocking.

Xavier Rush, - 7 years sterling service, still giving his all, will be 35 at the end of the season, and the blues may need to trim him off the wage bill to make their £900k savings.

Paul Tito, - Ever present for the Blues this year, will be 34 at the end of the season, I think he will be given a 1 year deal.

Dan Parks, - Will be 34 at the end of the season, and hasn't played well, has held the Blues back. If they have any sense they will release him.

Gavin Evans, - Regularly used centre, will probably be given a new contract.

Ceri Sweeney, - On a big contract and not really earning it, is very erratic and not grasping the oppertunities he has had to displace Parks. Apparently hates Gavin Henson, and Henson would not have been signed if Sweeney was doing his job.

Richard Mustoe, - Squad player, might be retained, but may well find himself released.

Gethin Jenkins, - Personally I think it's time to take that big contract in England or France now, 31 now and given 8 years service to the Blues. Time to leave.

Casey Laulala, - Munster have been sniffing around him, he has only been at the Blues 3 years and looks a bit disinterested at times. Might be let go to trim some fat off the wage bill.

Gavin Henson - On as a pay as you play deal, he's always injured so worth keeping ONLY if he stays on the same deal.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Thu 12 Jan 2012, 10:17 pm

Ryan Tyrrell, - Australian, taking up an NWQ place, 6 games in 2 years, released

He only join in December?

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Fri 13 Jan 2012, 1:15 am

Gopperth's crap going by some of the bitching from Newcastle Falcons fans. Who would be the genius behind this idea, the same genius that brought in Norton-Knight?

They need to keep Gethin and bring in somebody like Gill and Lewis-Roberts. There is not enough sufficient front row cover there, unless Yapp and Andrews really inspire you with confidence? That includes another hooker aswell by the way.

What is with the JD2 rumours? Seems odd that he would leave the Scarlets at his age. Delve would be a very good signing. If they can get all these positions sorted then it should see them on their way back to being a strong European team again.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 13 Jan 2012, 9:48 am

With regards to any Welsh player 'linked' with the Blues, how much of those rumours have the WM stamped all over them? I honestly think that if you are a welsh player of a decent standard and your contract is running out the WM straight away starts to try and link you with the Blues. After all in the last three or four seasons the Blues have been signing Stephen Jones, James Hook, Rhys Priestland, Gavin Henson (before injuries/when he went to Sarries/when he went to Toulon), and a heap of other names. Yet nothing seemed to materialised (well Henson did eventually).

I do think that maybe Gopparth may not be a bad signing, but IMO he is a bit too uninspiring a signing, I would think of him as more of a squad player than a first choice fly half. I woulod rather see the Blues keep hold of Sweeney.

As for the players leaving I don't really see any of them being a great loss (bar Gethin), providing the BLues do make some sensible signings to strengthen the losses.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri 13 Jan 2012, 10:20 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:With regards to any Welsh player 'linked' with the Blues, how much of those rumours have the WM stamped all over them? I honestly think that if you are a welsh player of a decent standard and your contract is running out the WM straight away starts to try and link you with the Blues. After all in the last three or four seasons the Blues have been signing Stephen Jones, James Hook, Rhys Priestland, Gavin Henson (before injuries/when he went to Sarries/when he went to Toulon), and a heap of other names. Yet nothing seemed to materialised (well Henson did eventually).

I do think that maybe Gopparth may not be a bad signing, but IMO he is a bit too uninspiring a signing, I would think of him as more of a squad player than a first choice fly half. I woulod rather see the Blues keep hold of Sweeney.

As for the players leaving I don't really see any of them being a great loss (bar Gethin), providing the BLues do make some sensible signings to strengthen the losses.

None of these rumours are from the WM

Apparently Gopperth and JD2 have been approached to discuss their "terms" - Which is a long way from signing them, but at least shows the Blues are looking to bring in new player.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Fri 13 Jan 2012, 11:30 am

While it would be nice to sign JD2, i wonder that now Lamont is leaving the scarlets they (scarlets) will now have the money to give him a bit more.

I'd have to see Gopperth's stuff from before Newcastle if i am to be convinced. He kicks his goals and seems to be good defensively, but we've seen that a kicking fly half doesn't necessarily work for us.

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 13 Jan 2012, 11:42 am

Wales606 - fair play then. I must be honest I always assume that the WM is cooking up stories whenever I hear of any Welsh player moving to the Blues because they do it so so soooo often.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 13 Jan 2012, 2:50 pm

I'm guessing its a no go for Foxy

(from beeb article)

"Jon has made it quite clear himself that he wants to saty at the Scarlets," said Davies.

"He is enjoying his rugby. He is enjoying the enviromnement and we are in negotiations with Jon."
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Fri 13 Jan 2012, 5:21 pm

gcBlues wrote:Ryan Tyrrell, - Australian, taking up an NWQ place, 6 games in 2 years, released

He only join in December?
November but yes your right, sorry. Erm
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 13 Jan 2012, 7:58 pm

wales606 wrote:

None of these rumours are from the WM

Apparently Gopperth and JD2 have been approached to discuss their "terms" - Which is a long way from signing them, but at least shows the Blues are looking to bring in new player.

I was told a couple of seasons ago, while SNK was still weaving his magic, that an approach was made regarding James Hook. The answer given ended with the word "off". That was the end of that.
First i've heard of JD2 being touted. Where'd that come from?

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Rolfs_Cartoon_Club Wed 18 Jan 2012, 11:31 pm

Gopperth is top drawer and if he happened to eat a haggis, Andy Robinson would pick him in a flash as he's twice the player Dan Parks is.

He's Falcon's equivalent of Steven Gerrard four years ago- the best player in the squad by a country mile and burdened with having to keep the whole team playing come what may.

Give him a bit of ball and space, neither of which he really has up north, and he'll murder you. Kicks goals with his eyes closed, too. Do not underestimate this very underrated player.

(Love, Jimmy's Mum)

Rolfs_Cartoon_Club

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Thu 19 Jan 2012, 9:22 am

Well if that's a general consensus, let's sign him up;)

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 19 Jan 2012, 9:58 am

Rolfs_Cartoon_Club wrote:Gopperth is top drawer and if he happened to eat a haggis, Andy Robinson would pick him in a flash as he's twice the player Dan Parks is.

He's Falcon's equivalent of Steven Gerrard four years ago- the best player in the squad by a country mile and burdened with having to keep the whole team playing come what may.

Give him a bit of ball and space, neither of which he really has up north, and he'll murder you. Kicks goals with his eyes closed, too. Do not underestimate this very underrated player.

(Love, Jimmy's Mum)
Erm, don't think so laughing

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Thu 19 Jan 2012, 10:00 am

Gopperth ok nothing special - may be a slight improvement on Parks but that is not sayign anything much.

Underwhelmed to be honest.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Thu 19 Jan 2012, 10:19 am

Anything is better than Parks/Sweeney.
I'd like either of these players brought in:
Nick Macleod
Jason Tovey
Dan Biggar
Steve Shingler
Jimmy Gopperth

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 19 Jan 2012, 10:20 am

Blues fans,

Can you put my mind at ease.

Munster have apparently signed James Downey from Saints. A hard running abrasive 12 in mould of Jamie Roberts.

We are also hoping to sign Casey Laulala.

To me our backline of

10. O'Gara
12. Downey
13. Laulala

is acutally very similar to the current Blues one of:

10. Parks
12. Roberts
13. Laulala

Have we anything to fear or can it all work for us.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Thu 19 Jan 2012, 10:29 am

ROG can pass, right? If so, no need to worry.

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 19 Jan 2012, 4:57 pm

Parks is a very poor mans O'Gara

Downey is a poorer Roberts, but you will have him all year and he is better than Hewitt/Evans at the Blues (Roberts backups)
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Rolfs_Cartoon_Club Thu 19 Jan 2012, 7:07 pm

Genuinely, put Gopperth in a decent side behind a strong pack and he'll shine. I reckon I'd prefer him at Bath to Stephen Donald.

Rolfs_Cartoon_Club

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri 20 Jan 2012, 1:31 pm

Added Nick Macleod to that list

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/main/s170/st174439.htm
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Fri 20 Jan 2012, 1:38 pm

That's great news, would be a perfect signing for the Blues. Although I can't see the Blues offering him much more money than Sale. And also Sale are trying to re-establish themselves as a powerhouse.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Fri 20 Jan 2012, 2:05 pm

Sale aren't paying him big bucks anyway, as he signed for them years ago when he was a bit part player with us

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 20 Jan 2012, 2:09 pm

I don't think anybody currently at Sale is being paid big bucks (Gray will change that when he rocks up I suppose). They seem to have gone for strength in depth across the squad with the only weakness seemingly at 10 should McLeod get injured as then it would be young Rob Miller.

Could be a good move for Cardiff as he has a good boot (long range) and still likes to pass the ball around. Unlikely to get many Wales call ups but could be a steady option in the 10 shirt and can also play 12.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Fri 20 Jan 2012, 2:10 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:I cant see Jonathan Davies movinig to another region in Wales. If he leaves the Scarlets, he'll leave the country imo. He's a Scarlet born and bred, so honestly can't see him playing for another region. I really, really hope he doesn't leave us anyway.

Indeed ^. No way would Foxy play for that rabble.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri 20 Jan 2012, 5:43 pm

Laulaula want to stay apparently, despite being approached by Munster and french clubs (toulouse?) - Hopefully the Blues can resign him.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next