The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cardiff Blues v Ulster Friday 17th February, Cardiff Arms Park (kick off 7.05pm):

+38
Thomond
Steffan
Artful_Dodger
Morgannwg
gmclachl
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
I'm Optimist
wales606
bsando
eirebilly
BigTrevsbigmac
gowales
glamorganalun
Blueschief
Keesie_kee
Liam
marty2086
XR
Smirnoffpriest
Mickado
clivemcl
The Great Aukster
Cari
Cymroglan
dogtooth
Cardiff Dave
rodders
Standulstermen
MrsP
Kingshu
Jimmy Moz
Don Alfonso
Notch
Rory_Gallagher
Jenifer McLadyboy
geoff998rugby
PenfroPete
Rava
42 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Should the Article be renamed Cardiff Blues v Ulster

Cardiff Blues v Ulster Friday 17th February, Cardiff Arms Park (kick off 7.05pm): Vote_lcap11%Cardiff Blues v Ulster Friday 17th February, Cardiff Arms Park (kick off 7.05pm): Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 3 ]
Cardiff Blues v Ulster Friday 17th February, Cardiff Arms Park (kick off 7.05pm): Vote_lcap11%Cardiff Blues v Ulster Friday 17th February, Cardiff Arms Park (kick off 7.05pm): Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 3 ]
Cardiff Blues v Ulster Friday 17th February, Cardiff Arms Park (kick off 7.05pm): Vote_lcap78%Cardiff Blues v Ulster Friday 17th February, Cardiff Arms Park (kick off 7.05pm): Vote_rcap 78% 
[ 21 ]

Total Votes : 27

Poll closed

Cardiff Blues v Ulster Friday 17th February, Cardiff Arms Park (kick off 7.05pm): Empty Cardiff Blues v Ulster Friday 17th February, Cardiff Arms Park (kick off 7.05pm):

Post by Rava Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:14 pm

Ulster Match Day Squad to face Cardiff, Friday 17th February 2012, Cardiff Arms Park (kick-off 7.05pm)
(15-9): S Terblanche; C Gilroy, N Spence, P Wallace, I Whitten; I Humphreys, R Pienaar;
(1-8): T Court, N Brady, J Afoa, L Stevenson, D Tuohy, C Henry (capt), W Faloon, R Diack;
Replacements (16-23): A Kyriacou, P McAllister, A Macklin, T Barker, M McComish, P Marshall, S Danielli, A D'Arcy

Unavailable due to injury: Jared Payne (achilles), Declan Fitzpatrick (neck), Darren Cave (foot), Pedrie Wannenburg (foot), Johann Muller (calf), Ali Birch (knee)

Cardiff XV: 15 Ben Blair 14 Richard Mustoe 13 Gavin Evans 12 Gavin Henson 11 Tom James 10 Dan Parks 9 Lloyd Williams 8 Xavier Rush 7 Josh Navidi 6 Michael Paterson 5 Paul Tito (c) 4 Cory Hill 3 Scott Andrews 2 Ryan Tyrell 1 John Yapp

Replacaments: 16 T Rhys Thomas 17 Nathan Trevett 18 Ryan Harford 19 Maama Molitika 20 Martyn Williams 21 Richie Rees 22 Ceri Sweeney 23 Chris Czekaj

Last edited by Rava on Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:53 pm; edited 4 times in total
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Cardiff Blues v Ulster Friday 17th February, Cardiff Arms Park (kick off 7.05pm): Empty Re: Cardiff Blues v Ulster Friday 17th February, Cardiff Arms Park (kick off 7.05pm):

Post by PenfroPete Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:16 pm

BLUES Rava, BLUES ffs man !! Whistle
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Cardiff Blues v Ulster Friday 17th February, Cardiff Arms Park (kick off 7.05pm): Empty Re: Cardiff Blues v Ulster Friday 17th February, Cardiff Arms Park (kick off 7.05pm):

Post by Rava Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:24 pm

Muller still injured so Henry will captain the team. Thoughts on a possible starting lineup?

Court
Kyriacou
Afoa
Barker
Tuohy
Diack
Falloon
Henry
Pienaar
Humphries
Whitten
Wallace
Spence
Gilroy
Terblanche

McAllister, Macklin, Brady, Stevenson, McComish, Marshall, Marshall & D'Arcy

Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:25 pm

After last week I'd play Tuohy or McComb at 6 with Henry and Faloon.

Diack and McCormish should be droped

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:28 pm

PenfroPete wrote:BLUES Rava, BLUES ffs man !! Whistle

Ulster are playing Auckland in Cardiff on Friday? Shocked Wow! Is it on the telly?

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:29 pm

Good man Rava - clap
Doesn't help when you get that fcukwit Jiffy calling them Cardiff, the Scarlets = Llanelli and the Dragons he calls Newport steam
What chance has 'regionalism' got ? Rolling Eyes
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:30 pm

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:

Ulster are playing Auckland in Cardiff on Friday? Shocked Wow! Is it on the telly?

No, but maybe Belfast v Auckland is Whistle
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:35 pm

PenfroPete wrote:
Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:

No, but maybe Belfast v Auckland is Whistle

Ahhh. Now I get it. Cardiff is in the province of Blues. Part of which is in a different country to Cardiff...... Makes sense now. Thanks

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:45 pm

I don't get it.. the official website for the "Blues" is called Cardiff Blues. No need to get all worked up about someone calling them Cardiff Blues if that is what they are called..

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:46 pm

Jenny - the point I'm trying to (rather hamfistedly) make, is that they are CARDIFF BLUES not Cardiff. It's a small but appreciable difference. OK

Personally, I'd like to see BLUES, DRAGONS, OSPREYS and SCARLETS as the 'official' names and each region to play at least some games away from their HQ
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:47 pm

So is saying Cardiff Blues okay, as long as you don't just say Cardiff?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:47 pm

PS - I know Rava personally and I was trying to take da pi$$ out of him
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:52 pm

PenfroPete wrote:Jenny - the point I'm trying to (rather hamfistedly) make, is that they are CARDIFF BLUES not Cardiff. It's a small but appreciable difference. OK

Personally, I'd like to see BLUES, DRAGONS, OSPREYS and SCARLETS as the 'official' names and each region to play at least some games away from their HQ

It's OK Pete. I know exactly what you're at, and I don't envy you the issues that SOME people have with the regions. I was just acting the boll1x with you. Smile

They do still have Cardiff in the official name though. (as do the Dragons have Newport) The Ospreys were the first to drop the geography then the Scarlets. Can the others not get a move on? Wink

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:55 pm

Rava wrote:Muller still injured so Henry will captain the team. Thoughts on a possible starting lineup?

Court
Kyriacou
Afoa
Barker
Tuohy
Diack
Falloon
Henry
Pienaar
Humphries
Whitten
Wallace
Spence
Gilroy
Terblanche

McAllister, Macklin, Brady, Stevenson, McComish, Marshall, Marshall & D'Arcy

I don't see why Stevenson and D'Arcy will.should be dropped. I expect the players to make way will be Callum Black, and then Mike McComish and Ian Whitten. Other than that same team as last week with Spence moving to 13.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:00 pm

Agree with Notch. Stevenson and Barker in 2nd row I feel would be a good option, with Tuohy at 6. D'Arcy at 15.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:01 pm

Erm... anywaaaaaaaay...

We are not going to get by with a backrow as poor as the one that (got out-) played at home aginst the (Wherever) Dragons. Neither Tuohy nor McComb has been fantastic in the back-row, however, and I am really coming to appreciate just how much we rely on Pedrie.

Henry will help a lot, and he'll bring more leadership than Afoa.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Moz Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:04 pm

I think Ulster will have too much for Cardiff in this game and win by about 10 points

Jimmy Moz

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:04 pm

I don't think shoving a second row in the blindside shirt is the answer. If Henry is at 8, he'll have less responsibility for the breakdowns than he would at 6 or 7. Which seems counter-productive as he's our best breakdown forward!

His remit will be scrapping for everything.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:06 pm

Cardiff Blues, you can shorten it to last name blues, but not to first name Cardiff.

I wonder if they did just use Blues on advertising would the NZ team only up a court case against them?

I think Stevenson should start also, D'arcy at fullback. Barker I feel sorry for, having played a lot a of games last season, and playing well in them, he finds himself down teh peaking order getting very few games. I'd start Stevenson and Barker with big T on the bench.

If we can will this game it would go a long way to wards the playoff spots, we're a point ahead of Cardiff, but the blues have a game against NGD in hand. A win wiould see us put a bit of a gap between us. A loss and they'll be harder to catch.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:07 pm

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:
PenfroPete wrote:Jenny - the point I'm trying to (rather hamfistedly) make, is that they are CARDIFF BLUES not Cardiff. It's a small but appreciable difference. OK

It's OK Pete. I know exactly what you're at, and I don't envy you the issues that SOME people have with the regions. I was just acting the boll1x with you. Smile

They do still have Cardiff in the official name though. (as do the Dragons have Newport) The Ospreys were the first to drop the geography then the Scarlets. Can the others not get a move on? Wink

Hug Precisely, but leave all the being a wee boll!x to Rava. He's the master Whistle
I believe the issue with the Cardiff Blues is historically 2-fold.
A) when they previously played at the Arms Park it was written in the deed of gift (way back when) that any team playing rugby there had to play in Blue
B) as you alluded to, Auckland have the rights to Blues on it's own

With Newport Gwent Dragons - I believe originally the Newport RFC fans said they'd boycott the region if it didn't have Newport in the title. When the region started the chant was 'Newport, Newport' but slowly over time that has changed to 'Dragons, Dragons' clap

PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:08 pm

Blues will have to improve on their performance against Connacht, but with hopefully another big crowd at CAP (they have upped teh limit this week to 9,000) should really give the team a boost.

It'll be ineteresting to see if they play Tom James in the centre again. I hope not, for me that didn't really work last week.

Would love the Blues to get a win and start building a really positive vibe for their season.

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:18 pm

Shovey - surely a draw would suit the Scarlets ?
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:32 pm

From a Scarlet pov - yes it would, but form a Welsh pov, I want a Blues win (and they are my 2nd region after all Smile )

There's a nice little rugby buzz in the 'Diff at the moment, especially coming off the back of Wales' performances. Blues should do their absolute best to build on this, especially as two of their players performed so well for Wales on the weekend. Add them playing at CAP - perfect time to get a real surge of positivity into the region and team Smile

Ulster are a tough side though, it'll be hard for the Blues. They need to step up another level for sure.

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:42 pm

Definitely Dreamer - would you be interested in going to the 'Ball' again on Friday, seeing as they are your "second region" ? I believe another one of the "Coven" was looking to go too. I may be able to sort out some tickets
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:45 pm

ha, less of this "Coven" talk please! Wink

And diolch for the offer, but I'm heading back West to Scarlet country this weekend, so shall have to give it a miss this time.

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:54 pm

Have a grand time thumbsup
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:23 pm

When I was a little child my best friend was called Phoebe-Anne. I called to see if see could come out to play one summer evening.

Her mum answered the door and I asked very politely,

"Can Phoebe come out to play?"

Her mum said,

"No, I can't come out but my daughter Phoebe-Anne can!"

I didn't know that was her mum's name but it was a fairly precious response to an 8 year old.

The story always comes to mind when we play this particular region.

Sale Sharks can be Sale or The Sharks...no problem.
Leicester Tigers can be Leicester or The Tigers....no problem.
Similarily with Glasgow Warriors, Edinburgh Gunners and many more. The problem lies with the people who named the club not the people who use that name.

If you don't want it calling Cardiff then don't have it in the name.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:55 pm

My team would be

Court
Kyri (did rightly against Dragons)
Afoa
Stevenson
Tuohy
Henry
Faloon
Diack (i still remember when....)
Pienaar
Humph
Gilroy
Wallace
Spence
D'arcy
Terblanche

McAllister, Brady, Macklin, Barker, Marshall, Whitten, Danielli.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:57 pm

MrsP wrote:When I was a little child my best friend was called Phoebe-Anne. I called to see if see could come out to play one summer evening.

Her mum said,

I didn't know that was her mum's name but it was a fairly precious response to an 8 year old.

That reminds me of a time that I asked for a bus ticket to derry at the Europa bus station.... Whistle .... Run
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:59 pm

not quite the same MrsP. Cardiff would be Cardiff RFC, that's completely different from the Blues/Cardiff Blues.

As a Welsh poster when I see people referring to the team Cardiff, I don't think of the Blues, I think of the Welsh premiership rugby club.

It would be helful if the Blues dropped it form the name though, just to make it easier for people outside of Wales if for nothing else!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Moz Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:01 pm

The Blues will never drop their precious CARDIFF title from the name. Iv never met one Cardiff fan who has suggested otherwise

Jimmy Moz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:03 pm

Really, Jimmy? I have, and quite a few actually Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Moz Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:05 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:Really, Jimmy? I have, and quite a few actually Smile

Glad to here it. Did these people make a recommendation to the Cardiff Blues board of directors?

Jimmy Moz

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:05 pm

roddersm wrote:
MrsP wrote:When I was a little child my best friend was called Phoebe-Anne. I called to see if see could come out to play one summer evening.

Her mum said,

That reminds me of a time that I asked for a bus ticket to derry at the Europa bus station.... Whistle .... Run

Or the time in the early 80s when I got off a train in Lisburn and asked the man in the shop for 20 Major in a Dublin accent...... Laugh

"We don't sell those" OK Can I have 20 Rothmans then?
"We don't sell those" But there they are on the shelf Shocked

Being about 18 and never having been north of the border it took me a while to cop on..... But once I did, I turned it into the Monty Python cheeseshop sketch. Smile

Fair play to the guy he kept it up until I had named practically everything in his shop and got bored. Laugh

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:06 pm

Wasn't there a touring team who made that mistake recently?

They thought they were to play the Cardiff Blues when in fact they had arranged the fixture with Cardiff RFC.

Oooops!

I think the main problem with identity seems to lie with the Welsh fans themselves and how they view regionalisation rather than with the fans from other countries. When they refer to the region as Cardiff they are probably trying to make a point whereas when everyone else use that name they are just shortening the full name with no other agenda.

I would never call The Scarlets, LLanielli. Not least because it so blooming difficult to spell!

Do you think there are many who will go because it is at the Arms Park?

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:07 pm

It would be helpful if Cardiff and Llanelli dropped their records in the Heineken Cup to be honest; or if the Blues and the Scarlets simply traced their Heineken Cup record to the first season they competed as full regions. Because they both trace their Heineken up debuts back to a time period before the formation of the regions. Both are in the elite "100 club"- teams that have played over 100 games in the Heineken Cup.

So when they say, as far as the ERC are concerned, that Cardiff and the Blues are the same entity... well it confuses me.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:09 pm

Jenifer,

I'm sure the good Lisburn shop keeper was just looking after your health!!!

Whistle

Ah, the bad old days eh?

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:13 pm

Jimmy - I haven't a clue sorry I didn't ask! just got chatting to some Blues fans on the terracing last week at the game v Connacht and they were a bit annoyed that the fans kept chanting Cardiff. They want it taken out of their teams name, can't see it happening any time soon though.

ha, it confuses everyone I think, Notch!

Don't think the Scarlets would have had many fans left mind if they'd dropped all of Llanelli from their history though, twas pretty crucial they kept it, if only from a marketing perspective and to appease the fans (plus, we were a region before anyways Whistle)

MrsP - you bet there will be many that go, 8,000 turned up against Connacht, and they're increasing the limit to 9,000 for this one, so they should get that to. Blues fans have been crying out for games at CAP for a couple of seasons now, tis up to them to make the most of it now they have the opportunity of going there again.

And the only people I know that refer to the Cardiff Blues as just Cardiff are those who are still completely anti-regionalism. Can see how that confuses it more for other people though!

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:16 pm

I don't see how it confuses anyone as Cardiff RFC don't play in the RABO? Headscratch
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:17 pm

Or those who are not Welsh?

I think one of the funniest things that's happened to me on here is being accused of wumming for referring to the Blues as Cardiff. Plain ignorance (on my part)! From that point on I was always very careful to refer to Cardiff as the Blues.

Er... I need to go and lie down now Erm
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:19 pm

That's what I mean. When a Welsh fan calls them Cardiff they are trying to make a point but the rest of us just do it in the same way we call the Tigers Leicester at times. No agenda at all.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:20 pm

Notch wrote:It would be helpful if Cardiff and Llanelli dropped their records in the Heineken Cup to be honest; or if the Blues and the Scarlets simply traced their Heineken Cup record to the first season they competed as full regions. Because they both trace their Heineken up debuts back to a time period before the formation of the regions. Both are in the elite "100 club"- teams that have played over 100 games in the Heineken Cup.

So when they say, as far as the ERC are concerned, that Cardiff and the Blues are the same entity... well it confuses me.

It seems even Cardiff Blues themselves are confused.
From their website, one page states 100 european appearances the other states 61;

http://www.cardiffblues.com/rugby/europe.php
http://www.cardiffblues.com/news/5650.php

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:21 pm

then why refer to Cardiff then, Rodders? Wink

I know posters from other countries don't have an agenda, just don't think it hurts when its pointed out that the team they are talking about aren't playing Cardiff, they're playing the Cardiff Blues/Blues.

Or you may come a cropper like Notch did and be called a wum!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Moz Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:21 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:And the only people I know that refer to the Cardiff Blues as just Cardiff are those who are still completely anti-regionalism

I call the Cardiff, Llanelli and Newport superclubs by what they are. Its like Wigan Warriors or Leeds Rhinos...I can still call them 'Wigan' and 'Leeds'

I am all for regionalism. Its just a shame we dont have any in Wales yet

Jimmy Moz

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:22 pm

Dreamer,

I meant will many go because it's at CAP rather than CCS?

Are the 2 very far apart or are there folk who just wont go to CCS?

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:24 pm

Same with me Notch, its easier to tie a team to their location. Blues is more confusing because its so ambigious.

Ospreys, Scarlets and Dragons are a bit more distinctive and logical at least.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:26 pm

MrsP - aha I get you now. Tis only a 20 min walk from CAP to CSS, so yes, many many more will go because its at CAP not CCS. if you belive the rumours, there's been about 3K or so fans that have refused to go and watch the Blues simply because the games are at CCS.

After a few seasons of complaining they've finally got their wish to be playing some games back at CAP.

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:29 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:then why refer to Cardiff then, Rodders? Wink

Because everyone outside Wales is more likely to be talking about AUCKLAND BLUES than Cardiff RFC when we are talking about provincial/regional rugby. So if someone says Blues I rely on the context to know which top-level team they are talking about. If they say Cardiff, there's no confusion, because Cardiff Blues are the only Pro team with Cardiff in their name. Simple Smile
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:30 pm

I think I'll continue calling them Cardiff Blues, as that is what I've always known them as. As long as you stick Blues at the end of it, then is it alright?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:31 pm

Notch wrote:
rugbydreamer wrote:then why refer to Cardiff then, Rodders? Wink

Because everyone outside Wales is more likely to be talking about AUCKLAND BLUES than Cardiff RFC when we are talking about provincial/regional rugby. So if someone says Blues I rely on the context to know which top-level team they are talking about. If they say Cardiff, there's no confusion, because Cardiff Blues are the only Pro team with Cardiff in their name. Simple Smile

+ 1 guinness
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next