The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do fans of the sport even matter when it comes to the big fights?

3 posters

Go down

Do fans of the sport even matter when it comes to the big fights? Empty Do fans of the sport even matter when it comes to the big fights?

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 12 Jan 2012, 1:11 pm

Manny v Floyd, yawn yawn yawn.

We all want it, but as serious fans of the sport we have had it beaten into us on every forum we go on, will they wont they gets a little tiresome after a while IMO.

This is the fight everyone wants, and this is the fight that will draw record PPV and gate. But are these types of fights for actual fans of the sport. I am not saying we wont enjoy it, but alot of actual boxing fans are a little fed up with this already and many think Pac is on the slide on the back of his last performance. However, the armchair fan, they don't.

Armchair fans arn't reading the boards everyday, hence they can be hyped, they are not even aware necessarily that Pac has primed and Floyds legs have slowed. They see an exciting Phillipino star and an undefeated baddy.

So i ask, when it comes to superfights are we even important? Do fans of the sport actually matter in that respect? After all we love a good domestic scrap with two well matched prospects as much as a world title fight.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Do fans of the sport even matter when it comes to the big fights? Empty Re: Do fans of the sport even matter when it comes to the big fights?

Post by Steffan Thu 12 Jan 2012, 1:21 pm

Believe it or not Bob Arum actually said something similar to this (not that im comparing you with him Seanusarrilius ofcourse)

Arum said that the real fans didnt want Manny v Floyd as the real fans know Floyd always sticks the place out. This was around the time of the Cotto fight and Arum was saying that real fans preferred to see a Manny v Cotto fight as it would make a better matchup

Ofcourse I guess at the time (and probably still now) we regard this as usual Arum rubbish trying to put stop to the fight and his cash cow Manny getting possibly beat

Good point though that us real fans see through the Manny v Floyd nonsense and what a joke they have made of the sport we love by refusing/making it difficult to give us the fight we all wanted 3 years ago. Do we count though...I guess we do...but maybe in a different kind of way

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Do fans of the sport even matter when it comes to the big fights? Empty Re: Do fans of the sport even matter when it comes to the big fights?

Post by manos de piedra Thu 12 Jan 2012, 1:33 pm

The thing to remember is if the fight gets made, the whole build up and saga before hand will be largely forgotten, especially when the dust settles on both fighters careers.

It was the same with Haye/Klitschko. How long did that soap opera go on for? Years. But the fight eventually happened and you could see why Haye especially wanted to delay the fight as long as he could.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 12 Jan 2012, 1:52 pm

Excactly manos, and we see it. I jhust want the fight to happen for one reason, who is the best? It is Flyod in my umble, but still.

Haye really took a dump on the superfight (semi super not full super)

Steffan, thanks for not putting me in with Arum haha

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down