The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mike Jones

+11
Fists of Fury
Seanusarrilius
Steffan
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
AlexHuckerby
Lance
The Sweet Science UK
Imperial Ghosty
HumanWindmill
Double Jab
15 posters

Go down

Mike Jones Empty Mike Jones

Post by Double Jab Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:42 pm

Hi all, first time poster, long time lurker and reader on the forum.

I was just perusing BoxRec, stumbled across their Welterweight rankings/ratings and found this guy at number 4. Pretty decent knock-out record.

Has anybody seen this guy fight and if so is he any good, or just a protected fighter?

Double Jab

Back to top Go down

Mike Jones Empty Re: Mike Jones

Post by HumanWindmill Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:45 pm

Welcome aboard, Double Jab.

I'm afraid I know nothing whatsoever about Jones, but I've no doubt that somebody here will have seen him in action.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:51 pm

Double Jab wrote:Hi all, first time poster, long time lurker and reader on the forum.

I was just perusing BoxRec, stumbled across their Welterweight rankings/ratings and found this guy at number 4. Pretty decent knock-out record.

Has anybody seen this guy fight and if so is he any good, or just a protected fighter?

He's a decent fighter but to be into context I would imagine Kell Brook would beat him fairly comfortably, a more realistic ranking for him is the ring magazine where he's 7th I believe.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by The Sweet Science UK Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:22 pm

He's looked ok from the few fights I've seen of him but he hasn't really been with anyone of note; so it's hard to judge the guy.

He seems to be in the building his name phase and his promotional company are keeping him quite protected. But he won his last fight which was an IBF title eliminator so I'm not sure who he'll face next because Berto has vacated that title.

At the same I wouldn't pay much attention to rankings. The WBO had (may still have) Brook as the number two weleterweight in the world behind Pacquaio.
The Sweet Science UK
The Sweet Science UK

http://thesweetscienceuk.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:26 pm

i think hes an excellent prospect, whos been matched harder than brook. id back him to beat brook at the moment but i wouldnt be totally confident on it

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:08 pm

I would back Brook to show him up, I personally see him as a bit limited. HUGE for a Welterweight mind you, but the Americans don't really seem to rate him.

It looks as though he'll be fighting for the IBF title soon which is vacant with Berto giving it up to face Ortiz. (He had a mandatory that HBO didn't even want to show so he vacated his belt and took on a rematch with Ortiz which HBO will obviously show)

He is still a fantastic addition to the WW scene however, though I'm not sure how much longer he will be able to stay at 147 as like I said he is massive for the weight.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:22 pm

He's not bad, but seems limited an has faile to shine vs low level fighters. He wins convincingly but doesn't look like he has many gears to go through a fight. He looked decent in the soto karass rematch but karass had his moments despite being very limited and in the first fight jones gassed after a big 2nd round but failed to get his man out and I thought soto should have won.

He has the reach and height to be a real nuisance, decent hand speed, slaps his punches but seems to hit hard enough so he won't be blown away and he looks like he can take a shot too. Very Paul Williams about him but doesn't have the same hand speed, stamina or power but uses his height and reach better than Williams

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by Double Jab Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:28 pm

Seems like one to keep an eye on, not too much to get excited about I gather.

Double Jab

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:59 pm

Seen him a number of times and I've never been overly impressed. As Ghosty said Brook would beat him fairly comfortably. I would put money on the likes of Maidana, Alexander and probably Malignaggi beating him as well.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:19 pm

I don't think Maidanas power would be as devastating at Welterweight and once you look past that there isn't much there aside from guts so don't see him beating Jones nor would Malignaggi or Alexander. Peterson, Bradley, Khan and possibly even Kotelnik (if he's still fighting) probably would. He's so unheralded that until he wins a title he's not really a player in the division but will eventually be the springboard for Brook to get on the world scene.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:40 pm

I havnt seen much of Jones but I know the Yanks rate him

Brook probably has the tools to dispatch of him although im not yet sure how Brook will react when he fights someone who hits back

As iv said before I rate Brook. He looks to have all the talent and is very slick but he hasnt fought anyone yet who has taken him into the shallow end nevermind deep waters. A fight with Khan would definitely be on my list of matchups I wanna see this year

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:20 am

Jones is fairly slick, but his power fades after round 4 and IMO Brook and Dulorme would both beat him. HBO had him on a couple of times, think they want to push him as a possible star. Jonesv Brook would be a great eliminator for a WW belt.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:39 am

I've got Brook beating him, though it'd be an entertaining fight. I agree with a comment above that he should have lost the first Soto Karass fight after gassing badly after the 2nd round where he punched himself out going for the stoppage. A poor decision, was that.

Welcome to the board, doublejab.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:27 am

There's been hype about him for some time but hasn't stepped up much to truly gauge how he'd fair against the top boys i.e. a little bit like Kell Brook.

The only full fight i've seen of him was on a undercard of a big fight either early last year or late 2010 where the other guy deserved the win and Jones got the decision.

Just seen the above post, yes it was the Soto Karass fight.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:06 am

Skilled but untested.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:08 am

davidemore wrote:Skilled but untested.

And that applies to both fighters

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:45 pm

Don't really rate him, have seen him a few times and he doesn't exactly set the world alight.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:53 pm

Seen him a few times. Quite passive but has the right build for a welter. 5 '11 athletic but has skinny legs.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down