The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brother from another mother

+16
Armchairexpert
Morgannwg
majesticimperialman
ChequeredJersey
bedfordwelsh
Comfort
KickAndChase
bluestonevedder
SecretFly
whocares
Looseheaded
beshocked
B91212
funnyExiledScot
rodders
kiakahaaotearoa
20 posters

Go down

Brother from another mother Empty Brother from another mother

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 16 Jan 2012 - 14:57

I just got back from a skiing week in the Alps. Seemed to find the only few days in recent times when the sun came out. While I was there, I caught some Heineken Cup Rugby on the hotel TV. Living in Madrid, I see the odd game on teledeporte but find it difficult to watch any games on any consistent basis.

I watched the Connacht Toulouse match and I have to say that Thierry Dusatoir is just a phenomenal player. I know he has an annoying tendency to outshine the AB backrow whenever he plays us, but that can't take away my respect for the player. He's just a tackling machine with such a good rugby mind.

So it made me think what other overseas players do I admire. Not so much to have in my beloved AB team but just players who generally stand out as world class players who I enjoy watching.

So though he´s gone off to Japan, a criminally underrated player for me was Jacques Fourie. I know that Conrad Smith also tends to be underrated but this guy was a huge talent and it was a crime that he was underutilised. Like AAC, he was a guy who was a rock on defence but powerful with the ball in hand and very strong close to the line and with great pace.

Got to shoot off to do some work now - back to the real world alas - but was interested to see what players you like outside your own nation rather than hear about the ones you all hate!

Last edited by kiakahaaotearoa on Mon 16 Jan 2012 - 16:27; edited 1 time in total

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Brother from another mother Empty Re: Brother from another mother

Post by rodders Mon 16 Jan 2012 - 15:09

Sam Warburton, Ritchie McCaw, Brad Thorn, Jerome Kaino, Shane Williams, Sergio Parisse and Conrad Smith are all fantastic players. Agree about Dusitioir, the guy is just a machine.

I've always liked Ryan Jones as a player too and always enjoyed watching Martyn Williams play although hes past his prime now.

Isa Nacewa, Doug Howlett and Phillipe Contepomi were/are magic players to watch.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 16 Jan 2012 - 15:12

Always loved Brian O'Driscoll and Christian Cullen - two wonderful players who epitomise what rugby is all about.

Of the current batch I think Will Genia is an outstanding player who always seems to perform in big matches, and closer to home I think if Stephen Ferris can mainly stay fit over the next four or so years, then he's another Irish legend in the making.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Mon 16 Jan 2012 - 15:32

Although I dislike him as a person (seems a bit of a tool) but always enjoyed watching Harry Ordinary in action. Others that come to mind

Paul O'Connell
Steven Ferris
Thierry Dusatoir
Sergio Parisse
Jean DeVilliers (when he was on form)
Bismark Du Plessis
Felipe Contepomi
Dan Carter
Rocky Elsom (more from when he was at Leinster than Aus)

Last edited by B91212 on Mon 16 Jan 2012 - 15:33; edited 1 time in total

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 16 Jan 2012 - 15:32

Imanol Harinorduquy - France and Biarritz's talisman. Without him starting they generally lose.

Jonathan Sexton - seen two painful masterclasses from Sexton against my club team. Very good player.

Conrad Smith - a real smooth operator. Probably the 2nd most important AB back after Carter.

Dan Carter - the perfect fly half.

ROG - can still knock over a drop goal with effortless ease.

BOD - even when doing virtually nothing for the entire game he is capable of a match changing moment like a crunching tackle or well taken try. Great servant for Leinster and Ireland.

Beale - simply an excellent full back.

Ickle Shane - the pint sized hero never fails to impress. Fairytale ending to his Welsh career.

Richie Gray - superstar in the making.

Jp Pietersen - underrated winger.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Looseheaded Mon 16 Jan 2012 - 15:46

Foden, Marler, Richie Gray, Euan Murray, Cian Healy, Chabal, Garcia, SBW, Kaino, Parisse, Schalk Brits... There are so many more than that though.

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Mon 16 Jan 2012 - 15:54

Jonny Wilkinson and Dan Carter - no need to add more praises but they both show excellence on the pitch while keeping a low profile off it.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 16 Jan 2012 - 15:56

Back in the day: Gareth Edwards and Campese. Obvious choices, but they were obvious, even then. Likeability, Billy Beaumont. I have to admit that I liked Rob Andrew for a time when he was playing (I know it's not a crime to have liked him then...but it's still a hangable offence to like him now!)

Modern: McCaw, Martyn Williams, Hook, Harinordoquy, Flood, Medard, Nonu. ... and actually coming from a place of hate, Hines moved into place of admiration. But more than I can honestly name.

So pick one? I suppose McCaw. He has a quality side encircling him everytime he walks onto the field, so you could say he has it easier than some. But he's the example, the blueprint they're all to-a-man following - including Dan Carter... so you could also say he's the quality they copy.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 16 Jan 2012 - 16:02

I´ll chip in with a few more. Bismark du Plessis is a good call as is Beale for me. Parisse simply for wondering what he´d be like in a better team.

Serge Blanco, Gavin Hastings were heroes to me when I was growing up. Strange as I never played fullback but as a flyhalf I liked to believe that I had their free running spirit. Sadly, in reality I had more the crazy free spirit of Balshaw in me than those legends!

I really liked Pichot and Hernandez for Argentina for different reasons. The former for his leadership and the latter for his dazzling brilliance.

I like this young kid JOC. So young yet so confident. It's great to see. Add Faletau to that list. I loveb the exuberance of youth notbeing weighed down by expectation and pressure to perform. That said I must admit to a good dose of Schadenfreude with Quade Cooper though I never condone booing of a player. Laughing at a player after an incident though is perfectly acceptable not to mention good for your health.

Bowe and Foden for England and Ireland for me and Nathan Hines will be a war dog sadly missed for Scotland.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Mon 16 Jan 2012 - 16:03

I've always admired players who play like the old boys- big bruising runs, hard hitters and the like.
My choices would be Sean O'Brien, Kaino, Ferris, Brad Thorn and possibly Bismarck Du Plessis.

I hate seeing any of those guys in the lineup against England; sends shivers down my spine. Ferris' performance against Leicester on Friday reminded me of why I'd love it if he was English.

Finally, my favourite player of all time; David Wallace. Love the guy and think he is the complete backrower. Wish he was English too...

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 16 Jan 2012 - 16:12

I know what you mean bluestonevedder. Sometimes players are so good, you get nervous seeing them line up for the anthems against your own. In our years when we often had yips in the lineout, the likes of Eales, Botha and Matfield used to send chills down my spine. The backrow of SA, when not injured, are an intimidating lot.

But often the players I warm to are the ones who are capable of running with the ball destructively. That said, when I see the machine that Dusatoir is, I just have to tip the hat as much as I admire Kaino and his stepping up to the plate last year.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by KickAndChase Mon 16 Jan 2012 - 16:18

Steve Shingler

KickAndChase

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Mon 16 Jan 2012 - 16:22

Kia can I suggest naming this thread "brother from another mother"? Very Happy

alas.....

ROG - after watching the kicking of the recent welsh fly halves, its a joy to see what a real pressure-player is capable of when someone needs to step up to the plate. Not only that, but every team (and their under 10s) send their big runners down ROGs channel, I've never seen him really shirk a challenge, he knows he's going to get trampled on, we know hes going to get trampled on, and the attacker knows he can trample all over him, but EVERYTIME, there he is, being the human speedbump and going in to at least slow the attacker down. You have to give the man his credit, blood like ice, a sack like santas and hes acheived a lot in his career.

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Mon 16 Jan 2012 - 16:25

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:The backrow of SA, when not injured, are an intimidating lot.

Certainly are. Juan Smith, Spies and Burger used to be really intimidating. I especially recall the '09 Lions Tour. Something about Burger, he's just quite terrifying. I think he's a brand of player similar to Moody- they're nutters, and you just never know what they're thinking!

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 16 Jan 2012 - 16:28

Like it Comfort. thumbsup

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 16 Jan 2012 - 16:28

Comfort wrote:Kia can I suggest naming this thread "brother from another mother"? Very Happy

alas.....

ROG - after watching the kicking of the recent welsh fly halves, its a joy to see what a real pressure-player is capable of when someone needs to step up to the plate. Not only that, but every team (and their under 10s) send their big runners down ROGs channel, I've never seen him really shirk a challenge, he knows he's going to get trampled on, we know hes going to get trampled on, and the attacker knows he can trample all over him, but EVERYTIME, there he is, being the human speedbump and going in to at least slow the attacker down. You have to give the man his credit, blood like ice, a sack like santas and hes acheived a lot in his career.

Correct. It's not that O'Gara is going to be treated like a doormat. As you say, we all know he will be... but just like the bristly doormat, kick the boot marks off his face, slap him against the outside wall a few times, put him back down and he's as good as new and you're still going to have to watch him slot the 79th minute missile over. It's his bouncebackability.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 16 Jan 2012 - 16:32

Have watched rugby for best part of 40yrs theres a lot so will try break it down to present, past, and dim past.

Australia - Pocock, Eales, Roff

England - Foden, Leonard, Duckham

France - Dusatoir, Castignede, Blanco (but so many to mention)

Ireland - BOD, Wood, Gibson

Italy - Parrisse, Troncon

NZ - McCaw, Stanley, Shelford

SA - Matfield, Montgomery,

Scotland - Grey, Townsend, Broon from Troon

bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 17 Jan 2012 - 18:48

New Zealand (which Firefox seems to strangely say does not exist as a valid word...)- Obviously Carter, Evans, SBW, McCaw, Nonu and Collins when he was at his best

Australia- Chris Latham, Matt Giteau, Elsom

South Africa- fewer here as I haven't forgiven them for the last Lions Tour, but De Villiers was a class centre and Montgomery a fantastic FB

Argentina- Pichot, Corleto, Ledesma, Roncero and Contempomi (esp as they are both doctors)

France- Dusatoir, Castignede, Fritz, Ibanez, Nyanga

Ireland- BOD, Murphy, Bowe, Ferris

Wales- Williams (Shane and Martyn), Jamie Roberts, Warbuton

Scotland- Kelly Brown, Alistair Hogg

Italy- Parisse, Bortolami

Namibia- Burger

Fiji- Caucau back in the day, Qera
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 17 Jan 2012 - 18:48

Oh, and big Mo from Tonga
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Tue 17 Jan 2012 - 19:16

Players that at one time was in their prime.

Serge Blanco

David Campasie

George Gregan

Joost Vanderwethusan

Andrew Mertens

NOW.

Harodornaquy

Brad Thorn

Richie Mcaw

Tana Humanga

Chaball

Dan Carter

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue 17 Jan 2012 - 19:21

Tana Umaga is playing provincial rugby still majestic but like Chabal his test days are behind him.

Neil Back is another. As much as I admired Dean Richards and Dallagio as players, the fact that the little man made such an impact on the international stage shapes it for me. Back to me was like a Josh Kronfeld type of player. Not your typical rugby physique but revolutionised the position.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Tue 17 Jan 2012 - 19:26

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:Tana Umaga is playing provincial rugby still majestic but like Chabal his test days are behind him.

Neil Back is another. As much as I admired Dean Richards and Dallagio as players, the fact that the little man made such an impact on the international stage shapes it for me. Back to me was like a Josh Kronfeld type of player. Not your typical rugby physique but revolutionised the position.

I thought Umaga was coaching these days. Was not aware that he returned to play again.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue 17 Jan 2012 - 19:42

Player coach for Counties Manakau mate and although he's not down to play for the Chiefs. I'd love to see an Umaga Kahui centre pairing though. Frank Bunce proved you don't have to be led out to pasture in your mid-30s and as someone in my mid-30s I like that idea.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue 17 Jan 2012 - 19:55

Going to name a few going by recent times.

Aus: Genia, AAC, O'Connor, Cooper, Samo.
NZ: Carter, Thorn, Kaino.
SA: Fourie, Aplon, Burger, Roussow.
Eng: Foden, Morgan;), Brown.
Ire: O'Brien, O'Connell, Sexton.
Fra: Dusatoir, Medard, Harinordoquy, Nallet, and Chabal for his hits.

Currently, Leinster are probably my favourite team to watch.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Armchairexpert Tue 17 Jan 2012 - 20:09

JPR Williams
Jean-Pierre Rives

Armchairexpert

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue 17 Jan 2012 - 20:13

Do you like the initials JPR Armchair? Jason Patrick Robinson? James O is next to P o'connoR.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Armchairexpert Tue 17 Jan 2012 - 20:16

Ummm hadn't spotted that, must be something Freudian there

Armchairexpert

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue 17 Jan 2012 - 20:21

Are they your mother´s initials as well?!

Both great players. Nothing to worry about. Wink

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Wed 18 Jan 2012 - 0:28

I think Umaga is just coach now.

Non NZ players I used to really admire

Gavin Hastings
Johnson, Guscott, Wilkinson
Eales, Lynah, Horan, Larkham, Gregan, Kearns
Wood
DuRant, Joost,

Lots of others of course just can't spell their names
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Londonirishollie Wed 18 Jan 2012 - 0:50

I agree with Fourie. He is without doubt a really top player. Dissapointed he's moved to Japan. I feel he could've had a good couple of years in france earning big bucks and then retired to Japan, still getting a 2 or 3 year contract.

Juan Smith for me is the player i admire most though. True professional, world class player, its a shame he's been injury prone. By far the best 6 in the world in his prime.

Others include - Catt, BdP, Harinordaquay, Jauzion, Pelous, Roussouw, Ali Williams, Mapasua, J.Burger. + loads more.

Londonirishollie

Back to top Go down

Post by boomeranga Wed 18 Jan 2012 - 1:59

Londonirishollie wrote:I agree with Fourie. He is without doubt a really top player. Dissapointed he's moved to Japan. I feel he could've had a good couple of years in france earning big bucks and then retired to Japan, still getting a 2 or 3 year contract.

Juan Smith for me is the player i admire most though. True professional, world class player, its a shame he's been injury prone. By far the best 6 in the world in his prime.

Others include - Catt, BdP, Harinordaquay, Jauzion, Pelous, Roussouw, Ali Williams, Mapasua, J.Burger. + loads more.

I agree mate. With Adam Jones, he is my favorite non-aussie and has endured a lot of bad luck in recent years.

boomeranga

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Fri 20 Jan 2012 - 19:00

Sean Holley and Brian O'Driscoll

Brother from another mother T71zf7

I'm sorry but their brothers surely.

1) everyone in Wales hates both of them

2) they both blame anyone but themselves

etc....
Shifty
Shifty