The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Happy Birthday Muhammad Ali!

+14
ShahenshahG
Mr Bounce
bhb001
HumanWindmill
Union Cane
azania
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
superflyweight
Rowley
Fists of Fury
The Galveston Giant
John Bloody Wayne
horizontalhero
AK
18 posters

Go down

Happy Birthday Muhammad Ali! Empty Happy Birthday Muhammad Ali!

Post by AK Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:40 am

Just wanted to make a thread saying happy birthday to the great man and where you can leave your birthday messages and also your favorite memory of the man. Mine has to be the moment he first became champ and he went crazy screaming at the press to eat your words.

This was taken from the guardian website and is a nice tribute to the greatest.
It is just over 30 years since he left the ring. And it is almost as long since he was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease which, ever since, has taunted the supreme athlete he once was. Most of the world's inhabitants had not been born when he fought his epic contests with Joe Frazier, George Foreman and the American military. Yet Muhammad Ali remains to this day one of the most admired human beings on the planet, perhaps still the most widely loved of us all. This newspaper has never loved professional boxing, but Ali always gloriously transcended his sport, which has struggled to survive without him. That he has reached his 70th birthday after the assaults and ravages that have been inflicted on him is another tribute. A lesser man might have become reclusive, content to live in a well-tended retreat. But Ali never turned his face away. The greatest. The people's champ. The words still fit him. Happy 70th birthday, Muhammad Ali..... Yahoo notworthy

AK

Back to top Go down

Happy Birthday Muhammad Ali! Empty Re: Happy Birthday Muhammad Ali!

Post by horizontalhero Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:46 am

AK, I wondered if you have read the book Ghosts of Manila? Whilst I wouldn't go as far as calling it a hatchet job, it certainly paints a very different portrait of Ali than most of these sycophantic articles wil. Ali may have been a great man, but he was also greatly flawed. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who wants a more warts and all bio of Ali instead of the sugar coated versions that dominate the market.
That said, Happy Birthday Champ.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:18 pm

It seems to have become a trend to pick apart Ali's flaws of late, but he'll always be a hero to me and while he isn't hard to defend I think today is a day for the positives.

Plus, see how he could dance!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu2nKcfMS9A

Happy Birthday Muhammad Ali!

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:27 pm

Happy Birthday to the man. Lets hope he has a couple left in him yet. Bubbly
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:33 pm

Happy birthday to, without doubt, 'the greatest of all time'.

A genius between those ropes, and a genius outside of them, too. What a boxer, what a character.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:05 pm

horizontalhero wrote:AK, I wondered if you have read the book Ghosts of Manila?

I've read it Hero, whilst I wouldn't necessarily agree with everything it says it does make a nice change from some of the usual Ali biographies which lean heavily to deifying him, have read some that even as a fan make me puke, Kram's book is a timely reminder that like the rest of us he is just a man, with all the flaws men have.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by AK Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:10 pm

horizontalhero wrote:AK, I wondered if you have read the book Ghosts of Manila? Whilst I wouldn't go as far as calling it a hatchet job, it certainly paints a very different portrait of Ali than most of these sycophantic articles wil. Ali may have been a great man, but he was also greatly flawed. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who wants a more warts and all bio of Ali instead of the sugar coated versions that dominate the market.
That said, Happy Birthday Champ.

No I have not read it, I will be sure to check it out. I do understand where you are coming from, Ali was not perfect he was human and there is no perfect human, we all have our flaws. But looking over his life and all he has done I think overall he stood up for what he believed in and tried to be the best man he could be and that's all anyone can ask of a man. Sure he made mistakes but he has done enough for us to look past those mistakes and appreciate the good things he did inside the ring and out.

AK

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:19 pm

Happy Birthday to "The Greatest"

As for favourite memories - I love the entire build up to the Rumble including the press conference where he came out with the following:

I done wrestled with an alligator, I done tussled with a whale; handcuffed lightning, thrown thunder in jail; only last week, I murdered a rock, injured a stone, hospitalised a brick; I'm so mean I make medicine sick.

I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and got into bed before the room was dark.

That was Ali at his wittiest and most playful and without the undercurrent of nastiness that was prevalent in Manilla.

As for memories of him in the ring - it's hard to see past the moment where he finally explodes into life in the 8th round against Foreman and finishes Big George off without ever having to throw that final punch.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:25 pm

A flawed man, yes, but who of us isn't?

I'd like to believe that if I reach the age of 70 and beyond, my attitude, like that of Ali's, will have softened, mellowed and matured and some of things I believed true in my 20's are shown to be nothing more than the follies of youth.

However, my focus today is soley on celebrating the birthday of, in my opinion, one of the finest sportsman to have graced the planet. On his day, at his peak, in his pomp, there are few who could match the grace and elegance of the man. His personality and showmanship set the bar far higher than any could imagine possible and all that have follwed have been but a pale imitation of him.

Happy Birthday Muhammed, you will always be "The Greatest"

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:27 pm

Everyone has flaws but only Ali can claim to be the most important and iconic sportsman of all time.

Happy birthday. cake
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:30 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
However, my focus today is soley on celebrating the birthday of, in my opinion, one of the finest sportsman to have graced the planet.

It's Peter Withe's birthday as well!! In that case happy birthday Peter

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:33 pm

Simply the greatest. My enduring image is of his right hand cocked and Foreman slowly falling down. Poetry.

Also from a non boxing perspective, Ali flying to Bagdad and getting those hostages out. Even Saddam was in awe of him.

Happy birthday Champ. Forever the greatest.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:35 pm

rowley wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
However, my focus today is soley on celebrating the birthday of, in my opinion, one of the finest sportsman to have graced the planet.

It's Peter Withe's birthday as well!! In that case happy birthday Peter

Rowley, why does it ALWAYS have to be about Villa?

Of course Peter Withe must but gutted that Ali spoils his big day every year....bit like my mate Ste whose birthday celebration tend to get curtailed by other pressing matters. His birthday is September 11th (course, I have no excuse for forgetting it either)

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:52 pm

Happy Birthday Champ.

Natal Felicitations also to Philadelphia Jack O'Brien, Sammy Angott, Cus D'Amato, 'Buddy' McGirt and of course Marco Antonio Barrera.

https://www.606v2.com/t20268-on-this-day-january-17th
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:02 pm

My first hero, and the sole reason that I was bitten by the boxing bug and have remained hopelessly addicted to the sport ever since.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:08 pm

Happy Birthday to the Greatest. Just because it was self-proclaimed, doesn't mean he wasn't right. Iconic to the last

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:58 pm

Happy birthday big man. Regardless of what may come along in the future, you changed the face of boxing forever. thumbsup

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:45 am

A Man who does rather than a man who says. Happy Birthday Ali.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:24 am

Steve Bunce article on Ali at 70.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/others/steve-bunce-on-boxing-ali-was-brutal-in-the-ring--and-could-be-horribly-cruel-outside-it-6290600.html
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:28 am

Not really the place for the 'dark side' arguments but Ali himself admits he winces at some of the things he said and did as a younger man. I think most of us do, as we age.

Happy birthday to my only sporting hero.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:07 am

Disappointed that today of all days some should choose to draw attention to character flaws. Muhammad Ali has been purposeful and entertaining in life as in the ring. The supreme sportsman of the Twentieth Century as well as one of the world's most significant individuals ever. We should all be grateful for the pleasure he has brought us and appreciate his life to date. The Greatest. clap clap clap

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:37 am

Happy Bday Ali!

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Divlar Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:59 am

Not just a boxing legend, not just a sporting legend, Muhammad Ali is a total legend.

Divlar

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:45 am

Muhammad Ali wrote:The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:48 am

John Bloody Wayne wrote:
Muhammad Ali wrote:The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.

Either he copied Mandela or Mandela copied him. Either way its a very accurate statement.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down