The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Australian Open - Match Discussion Thread

+10
hawkeye
Josiah Maiestas
Tropicalfruiter
Jahu
barrystar
mthierry
legendkillar
Tenez
newballs
CaledonianCraig
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Australian Open - Match Discussion Thread Empty Australian Open - Match Discussion Thread

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 17 Jan 2012, 6:58 am

I am pretty surprised there isn't a running thread to discuss the Australian Open so I will create one here.

Just finished watching Andy Murray's match against Ryan Harrison and he put in what I would call a workmanlike performance after a laboured start. Harrison came out all guns blazing to win a first set which Murray failed to get going in but slowly Murray upped his game and very slowly took control. By no means a great performance but Andy had I'd say the toughest opponent of the top four to face. My worry is that this three hour plus match may come back to haunt him later in the tournament. Well at least Andy kept his emotions pretty much under wraps - the Lendl effect perhaps?

Anyway we have now seen the top four all in action and this is my progress report on them:-

Djokovic - Impressive stuff so early on and ominous for the rest.

Nadal - A decent moral boosting win and looked in decent shape.

Federer - A sluggish start but won easily in the end against perhaps the weakest of all the top four opponents in the First Round. Competent.

Murray - Must do better but dealt well with the mini-crisis facing him. Improvement needed.

Later today we have Andy Roddick and Jo-Wilifried Tsonga in action.

Discuss.....

Last edited by CaledonianCraig on Tue 17 Jan 2012, 7:01 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typing error)
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Australian Open - Match Discussion Thread Empty Re: Australian Open - Match Discussion Thread

Post by Guest Tue 17 Jan 2012, 7:04 am

Perhaps it was the best means to acclimatise to the conditions. He arranged a special match last Friday at the Kooyong Classic with David Nalbandian (which he won) because he felt he lacked match practise leading up to the Australian Open. Ryan Harrison provided him with a decent and spirited workout, early on - just what the doctor ordered.

Back to top Go down

Australian Open - Match Discussion Thread Empty Re: Australian Open - Match Discussion Thread

Post by Guest Tue 17 Jan 2012, 7:06 am

I see that the great Australian hope on the womens side, Sam Stosur, went out in the first round.

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 17 Jan 2012, 7:09 am

Nore Staat wrote:I see that the great Australian hope on the womens side, Sam Stosur, went out in the first round.

Yes and fairly tamely in straight sets. Roddick now on court against Robin Haase.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 17 Jan 2012, 8:24 am

Why don't u change the title to Australian open day 2 (17/01)?
Or is the intention to just create one giant thread for the whole competition ?

Back to top Go down

Post by newballs Tue 17 Jan 2012, 8:53 am

CC in all honesty (not having stayed up for the match) that's probably not too bad a scoreline for Andy. OK he lost the first set and needs to make sure he cuts out these sluggish starts but the following three sets were fairly straightforward.

There were easier first round opponents than Harrison who after all had nothing to lose and obviously took the game to Andy early on. As you say probably the toughest first round opponent of the top 4.

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue 17 Jan 2012, 9:19 am

Udomchoke is completely breathless. It's going to be a straight forward 5th set for Simon.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue 17 Jan 2012, 9:20 am

I agree, the title should follow the pattern of Day 1. easier to sort later.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Tue 17 Jan 2012, 9:24 am

Troicki in trouble against Ferrero. Have to say that if Tsonga battles through Istomin that with Simon potentially facing a first round exit, might just open the draw up for him.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by mthierry Tue 17 Jan 2012, 9:27 am

Stosur really is a bottler. I've never liked labelling anyone with that derisory tag but her mental fragility and consequent inconsistency winds me up.

mthierry

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Tue 17 Jan 2012, 9:30 am

Well well well. Istomin serving for the second set. Simon up a break in the 5th. All happening now. Credit to Roddick coming through against Hasse in 3 straight sets. I had Roddick down and out.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Tue 17 Jan 2012, 9:33 am

Istomin takes the 2nd set. Tsonga in a fight. Benneteau a game away from a second round berth. On serve in the 2nd between Troicki and Ferrero.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 17 Jan 2012, 9:39 am

Problem is what if no one puts up something for Day Three like no one did for Day Two until it was almost over. At least with this big thread you now know where to post about the matches. Just a thought? If anyone else wants me to change it I will but at least we have just one topic instead of potentially fourteen.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Tue 17 Jan 2012, 10:01 am

Nore Staat wrote:Perhaps it was the best means to acclimatise to the conditions. He arranged a special match last Friday at the Kooyong Classic with David Nalbandian (which he won) because he felt he lacked match practise leading up to the Australian Open. Ryan Harrison provided him with a decent and spirited workout, early on - just what the doctor ordered.

He's played 5 matches at Brisbane - his main rivals have all played less than him this year. How could he have felt he lacked match practice - is that a comment on the weakness of the Brisbane field or on Murray not having the confidence to feel ready even when he should do?
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Tue 17 Jan 2012, 10:03 am

Ferrero now 2 sets up against Troicki. Where is our resident choke expert to confirm if this is a massive choke? Wink

On serve in the 3rd set between Tsonga and Istomin.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Tue 17 Jan 2012, 10:04 am

Hewitt breaks in the 2nd set against Stebe. Looking like an all winner Slam match between Hewitt and Roddick in the 2nd round.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Tue 17 Jan 2012, 10:08 am

Tsonga breaks the Istomin resistence in the 3rd to lead 4-2.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Tue 17 Jan 2012, 10:31 am

A Troicki fightback? Why I never!!

Tsonga strolled through that 3rd set after securing the first break. 1-1 in the 4th.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 17 Jan 2012, 11:11 am

Tsonga came through in four sets in what was an absorbing contest with some brilliant rallies. Play was patchy in places but a great match to watch and Tsonga wins in around three hours.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue 17 Jan 2012, 11:26 am

Interesting results:

Mahut beating Stepanek in 3.
Llodra beating Gulbis in 4 (SirFred was right about not expecting anything from Gulbis)
Kukushkin beating Garcia - Lopez pretty easiy
Raonic beating Volandri in 3 easy sets
Petzchner doing a Djoko v Rosol 60 60 62!

And Ferrero wasting at least one MP...if not more. It coudl take him closer to the worst choker ever...Roger Federer...if he doesn't win this match.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue 17 Jan 2012, 11:35 am

Other interestig results:

Gobulev beating Youzhny in 5! earning him the right to meet Gasquet in teh second round.

What are the odd of playing 2 single HBHers in a row nowadays? not much!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 17 Jan 2012, 11:42 am

Leyton Hewitt in a real battle against Cedric-Marcel Stebbe although he leads by two sets to one he trails 5-1 in the fourth. The Eurosport commentators are bugging me a bit painting this as a massive shock. How so? Hewitt is ranked 181 in the world and on a downward spiral whilst Stebbe is on an upward curve and ranked 83 in the world. Commentators should realise that Hewitt's best days are a long way behind him.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Tue 17 Jan 2012, 11:58 am

You've got to respect Hewitt and Ferrero - really good pro's who nearly always chuck in doughty performances at slams. You can't say that either of them play particularly beautiful tennis, but their experience and reliance on guile as well as grit means that they are often very enjoyable to watch.

They are really the last of the old guard - along with Roddick three of the four No. 1's from 2003 are still playing, only Agassi is missing.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Tue 17 Jan 2012, 12:01 pm

Think Murray will be encouraged by Simon and Tsonga's results. To know he wasn't the only player in his section to have a sticky first round encounter.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Tue 17 Jan 2012, 12:05 pm

Troicki breaks in the 5th. That choker Ferrero. What an annoying habit he has!

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Tue 17 Jan 2012, 12:08 pm

legendkillar wrote:Think Murray will be encouraged by Simon and Tsonga's results. To know he wasn't the only player in his section to have a sticky first round encounter.

He's measuring himself against bigger fish than that I'd say, and the top 3 didn't even stutter. Comparing others' first rounds isn't worth the candle. He'd be better off chalking up a win and looking forward.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue 17 Jan 2012, 12:09 pm

legendkillar wrote:Troicki breaks in the 5th. That choker Ferrero. What an annoying habit he has!

Nothing compare to others I tell ya! Knowing Troicki is the second worst choker ever, it may even affect the chocking ranking....though the top spot is secure according to a great analyst.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Tue 17 Jan 2012, 12:11 pm

Well done Hewitt - he'll be chuffed about that.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Tue 17 Jan 2012, 12:12 pm

Superb match from Hewitt and Stebe.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Tue 17 Jan 2012, 12:13 pm

barrystar wrote:
legendkillar wrote:Think Murray will be encouraged by Simon and Tsonga's results. To know he wasn't the only player in his section to have a sticky first round encounter.

He's measuring himself against bigger fish than that I'd say, and the top 3 didn't even stutter. Comparing others' first rounds isn't worth the candle. He'd be better off chalking up a win and looking forward.

What the other 3 do at this time is irrelevant to him given that Tsonga and Simon are on his side of the draw. I view it he is comparing how much time they have spent on court, much rather than the performances.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue 17 Jan 2012, 12:14 pm

Well losing 6 games in a row after a 5/1 lead? Mmmhhhinteresting candidate this Steb!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Tue 17 Jan 2012, 12:15 pm

Tenez wrote:
legendkillar wrote:Troicki breaks in the 5th. That choker Ferrero. What an annoying habit he has!

Nothing compare to others I tell ya! Knowing Troicki is the second worst choker ever, it may even affect the chocking ranking....though the top spot is secure according to a great analyst.

After today I rank them in order of:

1) Ferrero
2) Federer
3) Troicki

Wink

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue 17 Jan 2012, 12:20 pm

legendkillar wrote:
Tenez wrote:

1) Ferrero
2) Federer
3) Troicki

Wink

I am afraid this will have to be approved by the High Choking Authorities of v2. We have a connoisseur in that matter who probably learnt about it all with his own experience. He knows one when he sees one.

But anyway Steb should be high up too.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Tue 17 Jan 2012, 12:26 pm

Tenez wrote:
legendkillar wrote:
Tenez wrote:

1) Ferrero
2) Federer
3) Troicki

Wink

I am afraid this will have to be approved by the High Choking Authorities of v2. We have a connoisseur in that matter who probably learnt about it all with his own experience. He knows one when he sees one.

But anyway Steb should be high up too.

Verdasco and Ljubicic make me list too OK

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Tropicalfruiter Tue 17 Jan 2012, 12:43 pm

Holy S***! The Djoker looks awesome! Quake ye mortals.

Tropicalfruiter

Back to top Go down

Post by Tropicalfruiter Tue 17 Jan 2012, 12:45 pm

[quote="legendkillar"][quote="Tenez"]
legendkillar wrote:
Tenez wrote:

1) Ferrero
2) Federer
3) Troicki

Wink

Shows what a complete player Federer is. All the emotions, all the shots, all the trophies, and nearly numero uno in the choking stakes as well.
He just needs to keep playing a couple more seasons to get to number one.

Tropicalfruiter

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue 17 Jan 2012, 1:26 pm

Harrison has played well against Ferrer and Murray in the slams, will probably make top 20 sometime after clay season.

Murray; as usual flair tennis, full of class, not faking being hurt etc. (sarcasm lol)
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue 17 Jan 2012, 1:27 pm

Bit p1ssed off with Stosur losing, had money on her and she does this in 1st round of home slam. mad
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Tue 17 Jan 2012, 1:41 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:Bit p1ssed off with Stosur losing, had money on her and she does this in 1st round of home slam. mad

I should slap you for such a wasted bet!! mad

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Tue 17 Jan 2012, 2:04 pm

6 Male seeds out in the first round. The most since 2008.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue 17 Jan 2012, 2:34 pm

legendkillar wrote:6 Male seeds out in the first round. The most since 2008.
The year Nadal won 3 of those 4 slams, interesting that Nadal's best year was when difficult early round opponents are eliminated by someone else. Just saying thumbsup
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue 17 Jan 2012, 3:43 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:
legendkillar wrote:6 Male seeds out in the first round. The most since 2008.
The year Nadal won 3 of those 4 slams, interesting that Nadal's best year was when difficult early round opponents are eliminated by someone else. Just saying Australian Open - Match Discussion Thread 732107

I think those stats relate only to the AO. So it was Djokovic who had it easy?

In 2008 Nadal "only" won two slams including that famous "easy" final at Wimbledon. I admit the FO final looked easy...

It was 2010 that he won 3 slams

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Tue 17 Jan 2012, 3:59 pm

hawkeye wrote:In 2008 Nadal "only" won two slams including that famous "easy" final at Wimbledon.

Clearly someone who needs education from one of our more esteemed contributors and to see the sport through choking glasses. The Wimbledon final was easy until Nadal had two mini-chokes in the 3rd and 4th sets before being able to rely comfortably upon his oponent choking away the last.

Simples OK
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by deeznu Tue 17 Jan 2012, 5:10 pm

Tropicalfruiter wrote:Holy S***! The Djoker looks awesome! Quake ye mortals.

Nole's title to lose. Or to win.

deeznu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 18 Jan 2012, 7:01 am

James Wards conquerer Blaz Kavcic goes out in the 2nd round in three sets to Del Potro: 6-4, 7-5, 6-3.

Elena Baltachas conquerer S. Foretz Gacon goes out in the 2nd round in two sets to Kim Clijsters: 6-1, 6-0.

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 18 Jan 2012, 7:35 am

A big shock in that Mardy Fish (No.8) seed has gone out in straight sets against Alejandra Fallo. Another US seed John Isner trails David Nalbandian two sets to one and Dolgopolov has another fight on his hands against Tobias Kamke (one all in sets). A comfortable win for Rafa Nadal in straight sets against 33-year-old Tommy Haas and Del Potro also through in straight sets. A walk-over for Roger Federer as his opponent Andreas Beck withdraws before the match with a back injury.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 18 Jan 2012, 7:48 am

I have just checked Fish's recent form. Although he had his best season last year, he finished the season with injuries, first round loses and retirements. He hasn't played a match since the WTF (where he lost his three round robin matches but didn't play too badly and the opposition was strong). Alejandro Fallo, ranked 71 has at least played this year (at Auckland and Brisbane), winning two and losing two. It's still a shock but there was a question mark on Fish's current form.

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Wed 18 Jan 2012, 7:53 am

I did fancy Falla and I even put some currency on it Smile

I had odds of 8/1 and a nice £45 return.

I am unsure if Fish will even finish in the top 10 this season. Falla should be higher ranking wise, but at lower ranked events he just performs so poorly. Fish in a way reminds me of Melzer when he made the top 10. Solid improvements, but where can raise their game to go further up the rankings? A slow decline is what I see happeing with Fish Sad

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 18 Jan 2012, 7:53 am

John Isner hauling himself back to two sets all against David Nalbandian and your money would now be on the big American to pull through. Point taken about Fish though and with the Second Round still not complete around a quarter of the seeds are out.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Chazfazzer Wed 18 Jan 2012, 8:14 am

Dear Mr Nalbandian,

As my second favourite player, it would be nice if you could put a decent run together in a grand slam for once; you could start by not losing to John Isner today. Though your best days may be behind you, I still have faith.

Regards,

Chazfazzer

Chazfazzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next