The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Australian Open - Match Discussion Thread

+10
hawkeye
Josiah Maiestas
Tropicalfruiter
Jahu
barrystar
mthierry
legendkillar
Tenez
newballs
CaledonianCraig
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Australian Open - Match Discussion Thread - Page 2 Empty Australian Open - Match Discussion Thread

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 17 Jan 2012, 6:58 am

First topic message reminder :

I am pretty surprised there isn't a running thread to discuss the Australian Open so I will create one here.

Just finished watching Andy Murray's match against Ryan Harrison and he put in what I would call a workmanlike performance after a laboured start. Harrison came out all guns blazing to win a first set which Murray failed to get going in but slowly Murray upped his game and very slowly took control. By no means a great performance but Andy had I'd say the toughest opponent of the top four to face. My worry is that this three hour plus match may come back to haunt him later in the tournament. Well at least Andy kept his emotions pretty much under wraps - the Lendl effect perhaps?

Anyway we have now seen the top four all in action and this is my progress report on them:-

Djokovic - Impressive stuff so early on and ominous for the rest.

Nadal - A decent moral boosting win and looked in decent shape.

Federer - A sluggish start but won easily in the end against perhaps the weakest of all the top four opponents in the First Round. Competent.

Murray - Must do better but dealt well with the mini-crisis facing him. Improvement needed.

Later today we have Andy Roddick and Jo-Wilifried Tsonga in action.

Discuss.....

Last edited by CaledonianCraig on Tue 17 Jan 2012, 7:01 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typing error)
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Australian Open - Match Discussion Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Australian Open - Match Discussion Thread

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 18 Jan 2012, 8:15 am

Well Isner does seem to be coming down with cramp in a match that has now been in progress well over three hours so you never know Chaz.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Australian Open - Match Discussion Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Australian Open - Match Discussion Thread

Post by Chazfazzer Wed 18 Jan 2012, 8:23 am

Problem is, this 3 hour match will make it inevitable that he'll lose in the next round (presuming he reaches it).

Chazfazzer

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 18 Jan 2012, 8:29 am

Yes I see what you are saying but for that he only has himself to blame.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 18 Jan 2012, 9:11 am

The marathon goes on. David Nalbandian and John Isner are locked at 8-8 in the final set as the match approaches four and a half hours. The Argentine is looking much the fresher as Isner's immobility grows but his serve is keeping him alive.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Wed 18 Jan 2012, 9:27 am

isner through Sad

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 18 Jan 2012, 9:29 am

John Isner came through an epic encounter in the end overcoming a bout of cramp to beat the gutsy David Nalbandian.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 18 Jan 2012, 9:50 am

Alexandr Dolgopolov coming through another five set marathon against Tobias Kamke. Next up for him either Sam Querrey or Bernard Tomic. Another seed in trouble is Niclas Almagro as he trails young Bulgarian Grigor Dmitrov by two sets to one.

Last edited by CaledonianCraig on Wed 18 Jan 2012, 9:50 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typing Error)
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 18 Jan 2012, 10:31 am

Bernard Tomic continues to show signs that he is improving his all-round game as he beats Sam Querrey in four sets to set up a Third Round match against Alexandr Dolgopolov. That should be a good match.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 18 Jan 2012, 10:49 am

Almagro (No.10 seed) comes through in five sets against Dmitrov winning 4-6 6-3 6-7 6-4 6-0. Other seeds safely through today are Kevin Anderson, Juan Martin del Potro, Feliciano Lopez, John Isner, Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal , Alexandr Dolgopolov and Tomas Berdych.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed 18 Jan 2012, 11:16 am

Hi CC - We have created a thread for live commenting and daily results. It will get messy if we keep one thread for the whole tournament.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Wed 18 Jan 2012, 11:21 am

Can someone provide any match analysis of the Dolgo/Isner/Almagro/Tomic results? Just be intriguing to see how their prospects are rated. Thanks

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 18 Jan 2012, 8:51 pm

Tenez wrote:Hi CC - We have created a thread for live commenting and daily results. It will get messy if we keep one thread for the whole tournament.

No probs. Will post there.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed 18 Jan 2012, 9:04 pm

Ready for the Murray match?

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by prostaff85 Wed 18 Jan 2012, 9:12 pm

Just saw the game at 8-8 on Eurosport, painful to see how Nalbandian couldn't finish it off... But he was also unlucky with a stubborn referee.

Feel pity for David, this AO was a golden opportunity for him: good draw, 3 matches to warm up and then meeting Nadal in R16. Oh well, maybe he'll get another chance later this year but the clock is ticking!
prostaff85
prostaff85

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 18 Jan 2012, 9:18 pm

Tenez wrote:Ready for the Murray match?

Should be a straight forward enough match. Anything less than a straight sets win and I will be concerned about Andy's form. No disrespect to Vasselin but he is ranked at 101 (I think it is) in the world and in his late 20's. Order of the day for Andy - get on court, get the job done as quickly as possible and get off and rest up for the obvious bigger challenges that lie ahead.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed 18 Jan 2012, 9:22 pm

@ PS - Yes but he can only blame himself there. He had many BPs in that 5th set and a cramping Isner. Very unlucky though.

I think the decision of the referee was tough cause Nalby did take lots of time and I think Nalby was trying to slow things down between first and 2nd serve for Isner.

I really wanted him to win though as you say it was a great opportunity for him.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed 18 Jan 2012, 9:25 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:Should be a straight forward enough match. .

Yep - Not worth waking up early for me.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 18 Jan 2012, 9:30 pm

Well I have to be up early for work anyway so hopefully it will be short and sweet and send me to work in a good mood.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2