The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are Wales better than Ireland?

+29
bedfordwelsh
Biltong
Knowsit17
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
mankiaow
Gatts
Morgannwg
BigTrevsbigmac
Cymroglan
aucklandlaurie
kiakahaaotearoa
Rory_Gallagher
rodders
debaters1
Shifty
Cari
BlueNote
TycroesOsprey
Chjw131
SecretFly
maestegmafia
Smirnoffpriest
majesticimperialman
Glas a du
geoff998rugby
Artful_Dodger
munkian
Effervescing Elephant
Feckless Rogue
33 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Are Wales better than Ireland? Empty Are Wales better than Ireland?

Post by Feckless Rogue Thu 19 Jan 2012, 2:46 pm

For most of the 00's Ireland had Wales number. We had a better team. And nearly always won when we met. The last few years show they've at least caught up. Under Kidney it's two wins and two defeats. 2-1 to Ireland in the 6 Nations. The Irish can go on about the illegal try last year but I'm in no doubt Ireland were very poor that day and didn't deserve to win. Wales were very poor too actually but they finished ahead on the scoreboard and we can't know what would have happened if the try wasn't given. So we just have to accept the result as it stands. Then Wales won the all important World Cup quarter final that both sides had been building towards for years. And they won it convincingly. That makes it two wins on the bounce for Wales.

The teams look quite evenly matched on paper. Both have solid scrums. Ireland have the edge in the 2nd row I think. We thought we had a clear advantage in the back row. But Wales dealt with it very well last time. Wales are clearly better at 9, 12 and 13 now. In the World Cup match they dealt with our back row, they targeted ROG and put him off his game and exploited their advantage in midfield. It was a great performance. But was it just a case of a one off great game plan executed well? Like Ireland's win over Australia. Or is there not much we can do to prevent them from doing the same again? Do they have our number now?

In my mind the jury is still out on their young back row. We'll have them analysed to death for the next game. If we can beat them here, we can negate any midfield advantage they have. If they repeat their World Cup display and nullify our back row then it's difficult to see the next match going differently. So what do ye think? Have the Welsh overtaken of us, or are we about to see Ireland get sweet revenge? Or is it to close to call?
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Are Wales better than Ireland? Empty Re: Are Wales better than Ireland?

Post by Effervescing Elephant Thu 19 Jan 2012, 2:50 pm

I think this will be the match of the 6nations. Two very evenly matched and extremely talented sides. Can't wait for it to be honest, will be a great watch for the neutral, nerve wracking for the fans! As to who's better, haven't got a scoobies mate.
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 19 Jan 2012, 3:39 pm

Ireland have all the talented players they need to beat Wales but Kidney hasn't picked them.

Yes, yes, Ok - some are in the A team and might get picked in the final squad but that doesn't exactly show he has confidence in them.

Gatland on the other hand picked on form young players from the off, installed some belief in them and backed them up and they had a pretty successful world cup campaign.

munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Thu 19 Jan 2012, 3:55 pm

munkian wrote:Ireland have all the talented players they need to beat Wales but Kidney hasn't picked them.

Yes, yes, Ok - some are in the A team and might get picked in the final squad but that doesn't exactly show he has confidence in them.

Gatland on the other hand picked on form young players from the off, installed some belief in them and backed them up and they had a pretty successful world cup campaign.

+1 but you'd need to be careful criticizing Kidney round here Wink

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Thu 19 Jan 2012, 4:10 pm

No just an understanding of the selection procedure will suffice Rolling Eyes

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu 19 Jan 2012, 4:19 pm

My mate refused to pay €150 to see "Ireland stuff Wales". Personally I am going to Dublin for the first time since the 'Intestine Harries' debacle and I think we might win. I really think though it's too close to call and will be a cracking, intense encounter. I don't like the fact it's on a Sunday mind, not at all.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 19 Jan 2012, 4:21 pm

For me there's not a huge amount of difference. I'd say that we (Wales) are a bit more inconsistent. It's become a stereotype for Welsh fans to say 'on our day' but for me that's just really a description of our inconsistency. When we do play to our best then we're just as good as Ireland. Our problem has always been that after a little bit of success we never back it up. We're awful as the favourites for some reason. I don't know if we rest on our laurels, or start believing the hype, or just think that the job is done so we can slacken off, but after the 2 recent grand slams we've crashed to earth with a bump. People laugh at us for calling the world cup a success, and yes looking at it we only beat Ireland as a team of any note, but we were told we wouldn't get out of our group so to get within a missed kick of the final is a success when the form book, history book and rugby fans the world over predicited capitulation.

The acid test, as always, is to back that relative success up in the next tournament and that is the 6N next month. I'm always a bit of a pessimist when it comes to Wales and I don't think we'll win in Ireland. I don't think we'll be thumped, but I just think Ireland at home will be too much.

Who's better? On the last meeting, on neutral ground, it was Wales so you'd have to say them. But, looking at form over a longer period then you'd have to say Ireland as they have a more recent Championship win (2009 6N) and more noteable recent 3N scalps than us. Plus, they're ranked higher in the world. But, for me, there's not a huge amount of difference. Maybe Ireland have greater mental toughness as they seem more consistent, and that is backed up by their world ranking which stays relatively steady whereas we seem to yo-yo between 5th and 9th a lot!

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Thu 19 Jan 2012, 4:22 pm

I think both are evebly matched, but this year both teams are missing one of their best player. Shane Williams for Wales and BOD for Ireland.

It will be a close game between these 2 teams, it may well come down to who kicks the most penealtys. If it is Sexton against Priestland then i think Ireland will win.

I think Ireland have a better line out than Wales, but if Wales can conpete with Ireland in the line out, the like the poster said it will be to close to call.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu 19 Jan 2012, 4:23 pm

If Priestland starts we've had it.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 19 Jan 2012, 4:28 pm

geoff998rugby wrote:No just an understanding of the selection procedure will suffice Rolling Eyes

Who was that aimed at ? Was it a comment on the original post or just a pointless snipe offering nothing to the conversation ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu 19 Jan 2012, 4:34 pm

munkian wrote:Ireland have all the talented players they need to beat Wales but Kidney hasn't picked them.

Plus Gats didn't pick his young on form players until the WC and they performed then - previously to that he was keeping faith with Hook, Jon Thomas, Powell, Byrne ect and as a result Priestland, Lydiate, Faletau, JD2, Brew, Stoddart had little game time.

But still the WC and the training squad he's just picked look good (though it'll be interesting to see which youngsters make the cut for the 6N squad)

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 19 Jan 2012, 4:39 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:

Plus Gats didn't pick his young on form players until the WC and they performed then - previously to that he was keeping faith with Hook, Jon Thomas, Powell, Byrne ect and as a result Priestland, Lydiate, Faletau, JD2, Brew, Stoddart had little game time.

But still the WC and the training squad he's just picked look good (though it'll be interesting to see which youngsters make the cut for the 6N squad)

Those players didn't really prove themselves worthy of joining the Welsh Squad until they were promoted to it. I think he has and is doing a great job of selecting players that will give Wales probably the best chance of getting good results.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu 19 Jan 2012, 4:42 pm

Glas a du wrote:If Priestland starts we've had it.

Why? could you offer more details on why you think Priestland will make us play so horrendously that we're bound to loose?

Or is this just an off the cuff remark about his missed kick in the WC?

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 19 Jan 2012, 4:44 pm

He did fine against England twice and in the World cup.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Thu 19 Jan 2012, 4:45 pm

munkian wrote:
geoff998rugby wrote:No just an understanding of the selection procedure will suffice Rolling Eyes

Who was that aimed at ? Was it a comment on the original post or just a pointless snipe offering nothing to the conversation ?

Some my fellow Irishmen don't seem to understand the selection procedure for Ireland and have been living under the misapprehension the final Irish squad has already been named. It hasn't and it wont be until after the Wolfhounds game.

Edit: Actually reading up I see that includes yourself. For a non Irishman that is perfectly understandable.
Just be aware the first team squad you have read about is not the final squad.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 19 Jan 2012, 4:50 pm

In general, the best players in Wales play better when in the National shirt. In general, the opposite is true for the best Irish players.

Times are a changing for both sides. Gatland much more ready, willing and able to trust young players to do the traditional man's job; Kidney, doing it at a much slower pace. But then, nothing has changed there, Ireland have always been conservative in the speed of changes - you can't really blame Kidney exclusively for that trait.
As I said in another thread, maybe that very fact is the reason for our reasonable stability in the rankings and in Six Nations performances over the history of the 6N.
So the Irish system has its benefits; but younger, softer-boned!! and more youthfully hungry players bring their own benefits. Stability might keep you at a certain level but a little bit more trust shown in younger players has the potential to drag you above the average level, if only for a time.

That's the issue for Wales. Will these players who excited the rugby world in New Zealand have the solidity to sustain the impetus when sides begin to do the homework on slowing them down and attacking them with the same tactics they used. When games appear on TV, they become study tools.

I don't know who will win but I have a feeling neither Wales or Ireland will be the ooh ahh side of the Championship. I think France will be humming with renewed enthusiasm.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 19 Jan 2012, 4:50 pm

My point was that he's picked the same old same old guard and is making the inform players at the Irish provinces jump through extra hoops to earn their place.

I'm well aware that it isn't the final squaf if you re-read my post
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu 19 Jan 2012, 4:55 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:
Glas a du wrote:If Priestland starts we've had it.

Why? could you offer more details on why you think Priestland will make us play so horrendously that we're bound to loose?

Or is this just an off the cuff remark about his missed kick in the WC?

meet me in the Barn on the 28th and I'll explain. Trying to do it on here just winds people up. thumbsup
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Chjw131 Thu 19 Jan 2012, 4:58 pm

As Carpe said I think this will be an excellent game and one to watch for the neutrals. Wales edge it in the scrum I feel, but if Sexton is on form I can see Ireland cutting loose at home.

Look at last years 6N, a dire performance by Wales in Scotland. Another pretty drab performance from both teams head to head, and an even worse performance by Ireland in Italia. Then England come to town and get a good lesson in falling down. The Irish on a mission are, I feel, incredibly dangerous and Wales will be taken aback by their intensity from the off.

Chjw131

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Thu 19 Jan 2012, 5:17 pm

You know Im going to come into some flak for saying this but I do actually think Wales have better players in a number of key positions. On top of that they have a level of consistency in selection I havent seen for some time wheras Im not sure Kidney knows his best team. The matchups which will decide this are I think in favour to Wales

Adam Jones vs Cian Healey. Jones I feel will give out a bit of a lesson in scrummaging as will the rest of the front row. Ireland lack strength in depth and could really suffer if someone goes down with an injury.

POC vs Ian Evans. POC awesome player and leader but he will face in Evans someone who will not take a backwards step is a very good in teh line and a better ball carrying option than Charteris. Ireland may edge the lineout given Wales perennial problems there but anyone thinking we are considerably weakened without our RWC locks is going to be in for a suprise.

The Back row is the most interesting contest. Faletau is in the form of his life, Warburton will secure turnover ball. Wales have more pace Ireland have power. However in the modern game where turnovers are key Wales should come out on top. Ireland much vaunted backrow were systematically expised in the RWC and I see nothing likely to change.

Halfbacks well Priestland has blown hot and cold for the scarlets and it is his first visit to Dublin. However Phillips has the edge over Murray by a long way.

Centres whatever centre pairing wales pick is going to be powerful and Irelands midfireld defence is not good espescially without BOD despite his waning powers of the last year or so. Wales will score tries from breaks created by Irelands weak midfield.

Wingers and full backs. Bowe is the only really standout player for Ireland. HOwever Wales can unleash a monster back three who are all proven strike runners again I think Irish defence here is weak.

Im a bit stunned Kidney has gone for the old heads in his squad some of the Irish youngsters can feel very hard done by. Its almost a Martin Johnson selection which suprises as I have always thought of Kidney as an excellent tactician.

So Adam Jones, Gethin Rees, Warburton, Faletau, Phillips, Roberts JD, Halfpenny and North are all better than thei respective oponents whilst the others are aan pretty even match.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by Chjw131 Thu 19 Jan 2012, 5:25 pm

Yes I think there is a measure of wishful thinking there I must say. As far as the scrum goes I would agree with you, but from then on i'm afraid it turned into a WRU advertisement for a Welsh win.

Chjw131

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 19 Jan 2012, 5:28 pm

I think he makes valid points, their mid field defense was exposed in the world cup game and Phillips was a monster.

munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 19 Jan 2012, 5:35 pm

TycroesOsprey wrote:You know Im going to come into some flak for saying this but I do actually think Wales have better players in a number of key positions.
So Adam Jones, Gethin Rees, Warburton, Faletau, Phillips, Roberts JD, Halfpenny and North are all better than thei respective oponents whilst the others are aan pretty even match.

Not flak - but perhaps a differing view.

Apart from Adam Jones (who has proven himself over and over) the others have had, in the words of the song, a very good year. Better than Ireland's collection of young and old dogs? I think a few more seasons would be needed to prove it.

That's the point about Kidney's 'older' Irish players, they don't operate on promise shown or potential possible but on proven track record in Europe and at International level. Yes, not the best International side in the world by a long shot but a sustained period of second only to France in Europe. Long in the tooth some of them, getting slow, more prone to injuries with older bones (and many of us Irish agree that more trust should be given to more of our young potentials). But the burden of proof is still with Wales in saying they have the better players.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueNote Thu 19 Jan 2012, 5:36 pm

Wales are always slow off the blocks in the 6N.

The teams are pretty evenly matched overall, it'll be down to hunger/physicality, who gets their tactics right, who makes mistakes and all that sort of thing. If I had to put my money one way or the other, I think I'd put it on Ireland at home.

BlueNote

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Thu 19 Jan 2012, 5:53 pm

SecretFly wrote:
TycroesOsprey wrote:You know Im going to come into some flak for saying this but I do actually think Wales have better players in a number of key positions.

Not flak - but perhaps a differing view.

Apart from Adam Jones (who has proven himself over and over) the others have had, in the words of the song, a very good year. Better than Ireland's collection of young and old dogs? I think a few more seasons would be needed to prove it.

That's the point about Kidney's 'older' Irish players, they don't operate on promise shown or potential possible but on proven track record in Europe and at International level. Yes, not the best International side in the world by a long shot but a sustained period of second only to France in Europe. Long in the tooth some of them, getting slow, more prone to injuries with older bones (and many of us Irish agree that more trust should be given to more of our young potentials). But the burden of proof is still with Wales in saying they have the better players.

Hey fly, well I see your point and three years ago that clucth of players won a grand slam deservedly. However thats three years ago, where has this team developed? Lets look at Irelands results over the last two years, its not consistent, they have declined since the grand slam. Last year we won twice against Ireland and I would suggest in 2011 other than a game against England in Dublin and a tremendous match against the Ozzies in the RWC, Ireland were very poor.

I totally accept how Ireland have been a successful side but there comes a time when you have to develop, when old heads can no longer do it at the level they once could. 2011 proved to me that the Irish were way past their best. Look at England in 2004 a failure to develop their RWC team, an over reliance upon the "old dogs" and England slumped dramatically. Ireland is in the same position now. Contrast that with Wales, we won a GS in 08 with a group of players who had been together 5-6 years but by 2009 the team was declining as players got older and lost form. Gatland began developing the younger players then because he realised the old dogs were not going to suddenly get back to the level they had been. Wales develppment policy took 2 years(It was not as some people seem to think a case of throwing youngsters in who miraculously performed).

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Thu 19 Jan 2012, 5:55 pm

"Are Wales better than Ireland?"

Aesthetically, no Wink

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Thu 19 Jan 2012, 5:59 pm

think Mike Phillips might disagree there Cari Very Happy

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Thu 19 Jan 2012, 6:02 pm

Your only as good as your last game, and on that performance Wales are a far better side.

The 2011 Six Nations win for Wales may have had an element of luck for Wales and controversy, but anyone who sat through the World Cup game would of seen Wales had Ireland totally sussed out tactically, nullified all aspects of their game and Wales cantered to a fairly easy win.

Kidney is a solid coach, who won't gamble, Gatland however loves taking risks and loves the all or nothing roll of the dice.

If were playing the game on paper then I'd say Ireland have the better pack, with Wales the better backs.

I think the upcoming 6 Nations game will be a good win for Ireland, in truth Wales and Ireland are 50/50 and we have won the last two games, so they owe us one, we are not good enough to beat them 3 times on the run.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Thu 19 Jan 2012, 6:04 pm

TycroesOsprey wrote:think Mike Phillips might disagree there Cari Very Happy

But he is a tool! steam Laugh

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 19 Jan 2012, 6:11 pm

TycroesOsprey wrote:Hey fly, well I see your point and three years ago that clucth of players won a grand slam deservedly. However thats three years ago, where has this team developed? Lets look at Irelands results over the last two years, its not consistent, they have declined since the grand slam. Last year we won twice against Ireland and I would suggest in 2011 other than a game against England in Dublin and a tremendous match against the Ozzies in the RWC, Ireland were very poor.

I totally accept how Ireland have been a successful side but there comes a time when you have to develop, when old heads can no longer do it at the level they once could. 2011 proved to me that the Irish were way past their best. Look at England in 2004 a failure to develop their RWC team, an over reliance upon the "old dogs" and England slumped dramatically. Ireland is in the same position now. Contrast that with Wales, we won a GS in 08 with a group of players who had been together 5-6 years but by 2009 the team was declining as players got older and lost form. Gatland began developing the younger players then because he realised the old dogs were not going to suddenly get back to the level they had been. Wales develppment policy took 2 years(It was not as some people seem to think a case of throwing youngsters in who miraculously performed).

I don't disagree with a word or a full stop in any of that Tycroes... not a word.

And that's where Ireland are - redeveloping. But we do that slower than most. There are still many players that will face Wales who are just as young or nearly as young as their Welsh counterparts. Kearney, Heaslip, Earls, Murray, Healy, O'Brien, Trimble, McFadden, Sexton and others who are just a step or an injury away from joining the senior squad. The re-development has begun but it will appear less dramatic than perhaps Wales' methods and, it being Ireland, will take its sweet time.

But my point was that the players you mentioned - they are undoubtedly very good but the reality is they'll need a few more years of good results at regional or International level before they can claim the are better than the Irish oldies were at their best.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 19 Jan 2012, 6:15 pm

AlynDavies wrote:Your only as good as your last game, and on that performance Wales are a far better side.

Will you follow up on that and admit the truth of it if Ireland do an 'England' on Wales in a few weeks? Or will you still believe in the players? I have a feeling you will still believe in those players and put the defeat down to 'the game on the day"

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by debaters1 Thu 19 Jan 2012, 6:16 pm

Wales are better placed, but in fairness to Ireland's old dogs and puppies, three of the provinces lead their HC groups inspite of moxy loads of injuries. That's no fluke after 5 rounds.

The final squad, post the Wolfhounds match will see significant changes. I cannot predict exactly how it will pan out, but don't put a curve ball being thrown by Kidney beyond his capabilities; it annoys me intensly how people keep asserting that he is incredibly conservative when there is evedicence to the contray presented each season.

Does he like consistancy of selection in the absence of injury; yes. EVERY coach does. He has 1 Celtic league, 2 HCs and a Grand Slam 6N on his CV and is the first Irish coach with a win in the Southern Hemisphere since before I was born and I am 29 in March.

Remember people predicted Hayes & TOL and Fitzy would go to the RWC and they didnt. Murray was there to hold tackle bags and now he is the man in possession. Sexton was capped, blooded & then installed as no.1 by Kidney. As was SOB.

Remember, the MAJOR reason why EOS lost his job was because of the fact that the 'golden' generation was still to peak, not because they were actually sliding backwards. FFS, since he was sacked Irish provinces have won 3 Heineken Cups & 3 Celtic League titles. Hardly signs of waning powers.

As to the question, well, I am not confident of a victory in the sense that I will not be remotely shocked if Wales win, but I wont be shocked at all if Ireland win. Fairly evenly matched teams with strengths in ceetain areas and no unbelieveable weaknesses either. Should be a good match and any young player getting a start on either side will be all out to justify selection and Ireland will feel they owe them for a bad match a year ago and for how good Wales were in NZ.

I cannot wait!

debaters1

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 19 Jan 2012, 6:19 pm

AlynDavies wrote:Kidney is a solid coach, who won't gamble, Gatland however loves taking risks and loves the all or nothing roll of the dice.

If were playing the game on paper then I'd say Ireland have the better pack, with Wales the better backs.

I think the upcoming 6 Nations game will be a good win for Ireland, in truth Wales and Ireland are 50/50 and we have won the last two games, so they owe us one, we are not good enough to beat them 3 times on the run.

Forget my first rash post...carry on Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Thu 19 Jan 2012, 6:24 pm

I actually don't think the Welsh outside backs are better. We have a more solid fullback in Kearney. Well known for his superb reliability under the high ball and big boot, he's also attacking better than ever in his first full season under Joe Schmidt at Leinster. Trimble is on fire for Ulster. Fitzgerald is back to his best for Leinster. Then there's Bowe. We all know what he can do. Earls probably won't play on the wing this time as he'll be at 13.

Our outside backs are excellent. The question is will our 12 and 13 be able to create gaps, stretch the Welsh defence and put our wingers into space. I think Sexton will be better at getting these players into the game than ROG was. He'll be better than ROG in defence too. In fact the Welsh have mastered nullifying ROG so it's time to get Sexton in there. And I think both Trimble and Bowe should be coming inside looking for the ball. We need a new strategy in midfield, because that's where Wales killed us last time.

Defeat to Wales, with a trip to Paris 6 days later would set up Ireland for a disastrous campaign. I think Ireland need this win more than the Welsh do. So it should be a ferocious performance. If we can bring a new tactical plan to the game that tilts things back in our favour I'll be very happy. If we're unable to do so, at home, then we have to consider the possibility that Wales are actually now the better team. Shocked
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 19 Jan 2012, 6:27 pm

AlynDavies wrote:Your only as good as your last game, and on that performance Wales are a far better side.

I was thinking that Alyn but then I rembered that Wales last game was a defeat to Australia in which case its not so clear cut. If Wales can reproduce their RWC form then they are a better side and by a distance. If Wales win again then there will be no doubt that they are better and the pressure is on Ireland to raise the bar to compete.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 19 Jan 2012, 6:31 pm

Feckless Rogue wrote:If we can bring a new tactical plan to the game that tilts things back in our favour I'll be very happy. If we're unable to do so, at home, then we have to consider the possibility that Wales are actually now the better team. Shocked

Exactly, if we have done the homework and still nothing effective can repel another Welsh victory (this time in Dublin) then it's true, as a side, they have overtaken us. We don't have the answer to them, and Ireland itself (with the style or the players chosen) will be in a serious place; especially with the trip to Paris after.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu 19 Jan 2012, 6:40 pm

A better way of looking at it would be you are only as good as your coach allows you to be.. as to me Ireland have the more talented side.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu 19 Jan 2012, 6:53 pm

I must say this is all rather amicable for a Wales Ireland thread. I think that´s largely because this match is indeed looking very even. Wales got the upper hand in NZ but Ireland are at home. Both sides have a very useful pack and have avoided the injuries of England in key positions. Both sides are without their talisman player who has been able to spark the respective sides in the past.

To me the big unknown for this match is the centre pairing for Ireland. Can they cope with the big units for Wales on defence and can they combine well to get the ball out to the Irish back three? D'Arcy is probably there because BOD isn't there. Can he deliver again in the Irish jersey to make life easier for Earls? Will Earls slot into test rugby again but this time at OC? To me it's a big if and you can bet Gatland will not die wondering and will be testing this area as soon as possible for as much as possible.

It's a great opening match with plenty riding on it for both teams. I agree a loss to Ireland is worse for their tournament hopes because an away trip to France doesn't seem a good game to bounce back from disappointment. Wales have Scotland at home if they fail. But if Wales can win then that game at Twickenham will see them go into the match with much greater confidence. Ireland should win with home advantage but now is the perfect chance to see whether the Welsh performance in the RWC held more significance than many believe it to have had.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Thu 19 Jan 2012, 6:57 pm

Does anyone know when Ireland and Wales name their teams?

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Thu 19 Jan 2012, 6:59 pm

I believe the Welsh international squad is better than Ireland's, I just wish I could say the same about the regions.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 19 Jan 2012, 7:02 pm

I believe Wales 1st XV is better if everyone is fit but Ireland have more depth and a better pool of players right now in my opinion.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Thu 19 Jan 2012, 7:15 pm

TyCroesOsprey -

"Adam Jones vs Cian Healey. Jones I feel will give out a bit of a lesson in scrummaging as will the rest of the front row. Ireland lack strength in depth and could really suffer if someone goes down with an injury."

Nowadays the scrum is a lottery & the front row somehow have to avoid giving away penalties. IMO the second choice 2nd row of Wales will be just as an important factor.

Anyway around the park I would have Healey in front of Jones every time.

Who is better? Don't ask the Irish or Welsh. Wink

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu 19 Jan 2012, 7:39 pm

Cari wrote:
TycroesOsprey wrote:think Mike Phillips might disagree there Cari Very Happy

But he is a tool! steam Laugh

Laugh

That's one of my favourite posts on here EVER!
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Thu 19 Jan 2012, 7:48 pm

Don't know much about Phillips' personality. But he's a great player. And he seems to love playing Ireland these days. The interesting thing about this 6 Nations is we'll have two questions answered.

1. How much will Ireland really miss BOD?
2. How much will Wales really miss Williams?

Both superstars in their prime. Their powers have been fading recently. But I wonder how the teams will cope without them? At Leinster, several players have upped their game considerably and BOD's absence has been barely noticed. I hope the same is true with Ireland. Will the Welsh miss Williams spark? Or will they be more liberated to try other routes and trust other players to make the breaks?
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu 19 Jan 2012, 8:04 pm

22-10 and two on the bounce.... The question needs not to be answered Very Happy. Not sure if that will be relevant on the field in 3 weeks time mind.

It would be unwise to think you have some massive edge in the 2nd row. Davies and Evans wouldn't be playing if Charteris and Wyn-Jones were not injured, however they have been playing really well and are just great players in general. Add to that Ryan Jones who can play there, also playing very well.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 19 Jan 2012, 8:06 pm

The word 'great' is getting over-used on here. The meaning must have changed to describe 'decent international player' Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu 19 Jan 2012, 8:08 pm

GRRRRRRRRRREEEEEAAATTTTT! Yahoo

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=tony+the+tiger+great&hl=en&sa=X&gbv=2&biw=1280&bih=742&tbm=isch&tbnid=U64JFx1YdBEy8M:&imgrefurl=http://www.railbirds.com/blogpost/195338/have-a-tony-the-tiger-weekend-&docid=0seN1Y7JEuHCOM&imgurl=https://2img.net/h/i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww286/debann42/Great/tony-the-tiger---frosties.jpg%253Ft%253D1239993106&w=280&h=400&ei=EHgYT9XzIMiCtQabzNXlDQ&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=125&sig=103052851396904242899&page=2&tbnh=151&tbnw=106&start=19&ndsp=24&ved=1t:429,r:17,s:19&tx=82&ty=123
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Thu 19 Jan 2012, 8:42 pm

Dunno, haven't sh@gged them all Laugh

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Thu 19 Jan 2012, 9:26 pm

People seem to think HC perfs have any relevance at international time...they don't as has been demonstrated by the last 2 wins over the Irish. Wales are clealry the better side at the moment and will win comfortably.

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu 19 Jan 2012, 10:25 pm

Cari wrote:"Are Wales better than Ireland?"

Dunno, haven't sh@gged them all Laugh

She's on form tonight Very Happy
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next